PDA

View Full Version : IPhone storage of documents for offline viewing on the trail? What works?

Strummystick
03-28-2016, 10:59
I'd like to be able to easily view electronic documents, scans .... etc on my IPhone while I am on the trail. Is there some kind of free IPone accessible place/app where I can load them at home so that I can easily access them when hiking? Lists of information, hiker jokes, words to songs that i like to sing ....etc? Most are currently Microsoft Word documents, and at home I keep these things in notebooks or have them stored on my Mac computer. (I currently read ebooks using my IPhone's Kindle app, but this would be for documents that I personally wrote and saved electronically). Any ideas? :confused::confused:

RebeccaS
03-28-2016, 11:06
I like the Dropbox app, you can put it on your Mac and your iPhone and the documents sync automatically when you're online. On the phone you can select which files you want to have access to in airplane mode. I'm sure there are many options!

rafe
03-28-2016, 11:44
On a smartphone (Android) when you connect your phone to a desktop or laptop, it simply appears as another drive. You can move any kind of file you want onto it. Barring that, there's always Google Drive or Dropbox, but be aware that those items live "in the cloud" until you download them to your phone and follow procedures to make (keep) them resident on the phone.

Smithwick
03-28-2016, 12:11
I use FileApp.

http://fileapp.com/

StarMan
03-28-2016, 15:17
GoodReader is my iPhone go-to app for this. Makes off-line viewing of Docs, maps, PDF files easy. It will even connect with DropBox.

TexasBob
03-29-2016, 08:46
Microsoft OneDrive is what I am going to be using on the trail for just what you are talking about. It is like Google Drive except I like it better. It is part of your account if you have a free Outlook email and there is a OneDrive app for your phone so you can download things for use offline etc.

bigcranky
03-29-2016, 12:21
I use Dropbox. The key for offline access is to make sure the files are saved to the device ("make available offline" is the menu command) otherwise they live in the cloud and are downloaded as needed -- which doesn't work in the backcountry :)

rafe
03-29-2016, 12:35
I use Dropbox. The key for offline access is to make sure the files are saved to the device ("make available offline" is the menu command) otherwise they live in the cloud and are downloaded as needed -- which doesn't work in the backcountry :)

Exactly. Not sure how it works on iPhones, but there must be an equivalent. To test it, put the phone in Airplane mode and try accessing the document(s) or JPG.

handlebar
03-29-2016, 20:23
I have a yahoo mail account and set up a separate folder that isn't downloaded to my email client (I download the normal inbox to my email client and the messages are removed from the yahoo mail server). I send various files .pdf, .xls, .jpg, etc. as attachments to myself using the yahoo web application, with the email client shut down) and when they appear in the inbox move them to the folder for the hike I'm planning (e.g. Florida Trail Stuff). I then use my iphone to download the email messages and open the documents that are attached. These are then available offline while in airplane mode. Pretty simple, no problem. (I'm sure I could do the same with my gmail account).

Just Bill
03-30-2016, 13:49
Simplest is best-
Print your documents as a PDF.
Sync those PDF's into your ibooks library via itunes.

no extra apps- and if you are a MS Office user- you can convert word, excel and one-note directly to PDF's.

One-Note also stores off-line, can be used off-line, and then syncs up when you are on again.
I like that because you can screen shot things and mark them up/take notes.

New gear- take a photo of instructions or repair info and store it in your camera roll.

Uncle Joe
03-30-2016, 13:58
Evernote is good too. Be sure you sync and download before you head out.