PDA

View Full Version : Shelter Hopper Seeks Cheap Tent for Emergencies

displacedbeatnik
03-28-2016, 17:44
Am I crazy for thinking that a cheap (around $150) four pound tent like the ALPS Mountaineering Mercury 1 or REI Passage 1 is an appropriate tent to take on my flip-flop hike starting in May in New York if I plan on shelter hopping most of the time?

I mainly plan on staying in shelters. Except for possibly catching the northbound bubble in Pennsylvania in June, I think I'll be going kind of against the grain as far as crowds go. So I don't want to spend a lot on a tent but I want it to be comfortable in a pinch if I do get stuck out of shelter range (and I did notice the shelters are sometimes further apart in New York than I'm used to in Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Virginia so I will have to camp some nights).

I'm looking for easy setup for a tent that will generally sit in my pack almost every night lonely and unused and some of the ultra light tents are a lot more than I want to pay. So would a four pound tent be too much for my purposes (since I'm hiking in the summer, my sleeping pad and bag are both under two pounds a piece) if I'm trying to keep my pack between 30 and 35 pounds?

Would you all say weight or funds is more important in a case like mine?

Studlintsean
03-28-2016, 17:48
Why not consider a 8x10 tarp which can be had for much cheaper? Bring a cut piece of painters plastic also. If interested in the idea, I might have one I can sell to you. Would need to see what I paid for it plus line but should be <$50. I'm in NoVA

displacedbeatnik
03-28-2016, 17:51
Why not consider a 8x10 tarp which can be had for much cheaper? Bring a cut piece of painters plastic also. If interested in the idea, I might have one I can sell to you. Would need to see what I paid for it plus line but should be <$50. I'm in NoVA

I hadn't really thought about tarping it but that makes sense too. I do want some four sided protection though so I would prefer a tent I think.

Slo-go'en
03-28-2016, 18:11
Yea, tarps aren't that great without bug protection on the AT. But you can get something like the SMD Serenity net for $120 and couple that with a cheap tarp and come in well under 4 pounds and little additional bulk.

That's basically what I'm doing for my 1/2 flip from HF to home. Serenity net with Gatewood Cape instead of the tarp, since I already had the Gatewood. I can use the Serenity net inside a shelter if it's real buggy out and when or if I need it, the Gatewood cape gives more protection then a 8X10 tarp and is easier to set up. Plus it's a poncho for waiting out thunderstorms. The only down side is it's pretty cramped quarters for anyone near 6 foot tall or taller.

displacedbeatnik
03-28-2016, 18:21
Yea, tarps aren't that great without bug protection on the AT. But you can get something like the SMD Serenity net for $120 and couple that with a cheap tarp and come in well under 4 pounds and little additional bulk.

I like the Serenity Net looking at it. It definitely saves a lot of weight. I noticed the Skyscape Scout on that same site. Have you looked into that at all? I can't see if it's freestanding or not.

jimmyjam
03-28-2016, 18:53
Yep you're crazy if you carry a 4 lb shelter, and crazier still if you want to primarily stay in shelters- you'll see why.

soumodeler
03-28-2016, 18:55
Go a few more bucks and get a TarpTent ProTrail at $225 and 26 ounces. Full bug protection.

Franco
03-28-2016, 19:27
The problem with heavier tents (4lbs was sort of light but is now heavy...) is that often they also take up a lot of space inside a pack so it can mean a bigger and therefore heavier pack.
As a comparison, for example, that Mistique 1 packs to 6"x22", the Pro Trail packs to 4"x12" if you use trekking poles.
(if not you can get for about 3oz 2 "substitute" poles that will do the job.
BTW, if going the tarp plus bug net way, don't forget to add stakes and the weight and size of that lot.
franco@tarptent

displacedbeatnik
03-28-2016, 19:47
Yep you're crazy if you carry a 4 lb shelter, and crazier still if you want to primarily stay in shelters- you'll see why.

I actually enjoy shelters. I have to deal with snoring at home too. :)

displacedbeatnik
03-28-2016, 19:52
Go a few more bucks and get a TarpTent ProTrail at $225 and 26 ounces. Full bug protection.

This looks perfect! $225 is not bad at all. Any downside I should know about in advance before I purchase it?

rafe
03-28-2016, 19:53
This looks perfect! $225 is not bad at all. Any downside I should know about in advance before I purchase it?

It's a Tarptent, you'll be fine. Also consider the Tarptent Rainbow.

Slo-go'en
03-28-2016, 20:22
I like the Serenity Net looking at it. It definitely saves a lot of weight. I noticed the Skyscape Scout on that same site. Have you looked into that at all? I can't see if it's freestanding or not.

I have the lighter weight Trekker and it's a hard decision to make whether to take that or not. The Trekker takes two hiking poles to set up but that's not an issue. Weight wise, it's about the same as the Cape + Serenity net. Volume wise, the Trekker takes up a little more space in the pack, but provides much more living space.

Heading NOBO from Harper's Ferry April 18th, the shelters should be pretty quiet for the most part and I will take advantage of them as much as possible. I will quite likely run into lots of mosquito and Black Flies up towards Mass and Vermont, so having the net to use in shelters is a big selling point for me. Using shelters saves a lot of time and effort.

soumodeler
03-28-2016, 20:26

Only "downside" is the space, but as you are not planning on using it daily, not a big deal.

TarpTent makes great products. I have owned 2 of their tents, the original Virga and the Notch which is my current tent of choice. Light, reasonably priced, and well made with great customer service.

Franco
03-28-2016, 20:53
Any downside I should know about in advance before I purchase it?
It needs to be seam sealed. ( some hate it , others like me enjoy doing it...)
It really only has the ridge seam to do something that can be done in 10 minutes with the $6 kit TT sells.
However if you have some spare time , I do the door panel seams and coat the ribbons/loops that hold the built in tie outs.
As for size you can see how a std 20" mat looks like inside (it can take the 25" version) but as a modified A frame shelter the sit up area is at the front only.

capehiker
03-28-2016, 21:14

Or for $10 less, the side entry Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo (same weight).

left52side
03-28-2016, 21:30
Or for $10 less, the side entry Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo (same weight)

Yes I would say check out six moon designs tents and shelters.
There are lots of better options in roughly that range for far under four pounds for something that is primarily going to sit in your pack.
I would suggest checking out antigravitygear.com carolyn is great people and they offer alot of six moon designs shelters ,the deshutes plus shaped tarp might be a good idea for you at 16 ounces and 175.00 with a sewn in bug net.
If ordered through antigravity gear you get the tyvek ground sheet and six titanium stakes for free as well as free shipping usps priority send out usually the same day.
If you dont like the idea of the floorless shelter,then SMD also makes the lunar solo for 215.00 or another option is the SMD scout skyskape that is only 125.00 and at two pounds.
I have the scout and the deshutes and like them both,hope this helps

Dogwood
03-28-2016, 21:31
http://bicyclehobo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/eureka-backcountry-1.jpg
Have one of these that was in storage for awhile. It's used but maintained and certainly has much life left in it. Could be a good emergency tent for cheap! I just washed it in a bucket with McNetts Mirazyme just for my own sake. I'm sleeping in it tonite in the backyard. I have plenty of length and sit up height at 215 lbs 6'4". I permanently patched two small pin holes inside on the tent floor with a few drops of Seam Grip and repaired two small holes about 1/2 long in the Nanoseeum netting with Nanaoseeum patches. One could drop the wt down to a sub 3.5 lbs with aftermarket Al "Y"stakes which I'll include and removing the zip pulls and cord replacing with light fabric pulls like made by McNetts or just make your own.

http://www.divers-supply.com/mcnett-fabric-zipper-pulls.html?utm_source=adwordsfroogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=adwordsfroogle&utm_content=MCN-80621&gclid=CLK8odHe5MsCFdcagQod6-oISQ

$60 shipped CONUS

daddytwosticks
03-29-2016, 07:16
Check out the Eureka Spitfire solo. About $120 bucks. Weight about 3 pounds if you ditch the steel stakes and get some ti stakes. I used this tent for many hikes several years ago. Great bang for the buck. :)

bigcranky
03-29-2016, 08:02
The SMD Skyscape Scout is 34 ounces and only $125. SMD makes good gear.

I would not carry a 4 pound tent even if it were my primary shelter, let alone as a backup for shelter-hopping on the AT. That's way way way too heavy for that purpose, and you'll dump it in the trash within the first two weeks.

displacedbeatnik
03-29-2016, 08:12
I have the scout and the deshutes and like them both,hope this helps

It does. Though my decision is infinitely harder now. :) The scout is a nice option.

Don H
03-29-2016, 09:30
I used the SMD Lunar Solo on my thru. 24 oz., $215, full bug protection, big enough for you and your pack.

Mouser999
03-29-2016, 10:35
If you want cheap look for Hiker/Biker tent. Non standalone oversized bivy. Used one for years on bicycle touring trips

Billy Goat
03-29-2016, 11:03
Are hammocks allowed on the AT? I know they aren't in some portion s of the Smokies, but my whole setup it's less than 2 lbs and much more comfy than laying on the ground...

Cheers,
the Goat

dudeijuststarted
03-29-2016, 11:36
Are hammocks allowed on the AT? I know they aren't in some portion s of the Smokies, but my whole setup it's less than 2 lbs and much more comfy than laying on the ground...

Cheers,
the Goat

Hammocks are absolutely allowed on the AT, and are another option for the OP. To my knowledge, they are not permitted through the Smokies.

displacedbeatnik
03-29-2016, 12:44

Cheers,
the Goat

Not gonna lie. I fear falling out of a hammock seriously. So I'm definitely going to end up buying something on the ground.

Billy Goat
03-29-2016, 13:28
Not gonna lie. I fear falling out of a hammock seriously. So I'm definitely going to end up buying something on the ground.
Don't be afraid. A decent gathered end hammock almost won't let you fall out. Camping hammocks are a completely different affair from the net and bar backyard hammock you find at the hardware store. There are many cottage vendors that sell a solid quality hammock for much less than what you would pay for a tent and the weight savings is undeniable. There is a bit of a learning curve to setup and staying warm in cold conditions (you need to have your underside covered to keep warm below 55-60f) but I have almost considered getting rid of my bed in favor of a hammock at home. It's that comfy.

Cheers,
the Goat

left52side
03-29-2016, 15:27
It does. Though my decision is infinitely harder now. :) The scout is a nice option.

IMO the scout is not A bad tent,It certainly is a little heavy but not four pounds,I used it on a small loop hike that was three nights and two days recently and I liked how easy it was to set up and the amount of room it had inside(more than I thought) room for me and the pooch(a pitbull) and most of our gear inside as well and we slept comfy.
As I said earlier check out anti gravity gear and if ordered through them you get tyvek and stakes for free.
Only downside is that you have to seam seal yourself ,also free priority shipping.

Billy Goat
03-30-2016, 09:48
Also, if you are intent on staying on the geound, check out the Alps mountaineering zephyr 1. We have two of the zephyr II's and have been in some pretty heavy weather with them. We got ours for under $100 and full weight with stock everything is just barely over 4lbs. If you change out the lines to zing it and ditch a few stakes and bags you can trim weight even more. Tent goes up super easy and fast and it's pretty tough. I had my doubts when we got them, but they have proven themselves worthy. Check steepandcheep.com or whiskeymilitia.com for them. Almost always on one of those sites and almost always under $100. Good luck!

Cheers,
the Goat

Casey & Gina
03-30-2016, 12:02
FYI, I have a Big Agnes Scout UL2 (not to be confused with the Scout referenced above) listed for sale in the For Sale section of the forum if you are interested...it's a great tent worth consideration. Tarps are not something I would consider as I want a complete barrier between me and insect life. With the addition of an optional footprint it's still only 2lbs and is quite roomy inside, much moreso than most other ultralight tents. You don't even have to use trekking poles to pitch it - my preferred way to pitch it was to put it between a couple trees, and tie the upper roof corners to the tree trunks.

Personally, though it was a great minimalist tent, I ended up being happy to carry four extra pounds for a more versatile double-wall tent with a big vestibule (Hilleberg Anjan 3GT). I share it the tent my wife and child, and the Scout is surprisingly plenty big for this, since you can fit two 25" wide rectangular sleeping pads in it easily, however condensation is an issue as it is in any single-wall tent. Not a big issue as it isn't a big deal but something to think about. With the double-wall condensation is no longer an issue as it collects on the outer tent so the fabric I brush up against when moving around in the morning is dry, and if wind starts shaking the condensation off, it hits the outer side of the inner tent and runs down, instead of me, my sleeping bag, etc. I also like having a huge vestibule that we can fit all our gear comfortably into with room to spare for easy entry/exit. I use a big external frame pack and my wife has a child carrier with a big frame. The Scout has plenty of room in the foot end for gear, but consider setting up camp in the rain - I'd rather leave my wet gear out in the vestibule and keep the inner tent completely dry. Lastly, heavier tent fabrics are more durable, no question about it. Durability doesn't often matter all that much, but when a branch falls on your tent during a rainstorm, you might care more. Plenty of thru hikers get by with ultralight tents though, and no fabric is indestructible. Another criticism of the Scout is that it has wraparound mesh ventilation - this is nice a lot of the time as it helps offset the condensation issue, but if it's a chilly and windy night, the wind will flow right through the tent. If your sleeping bag isn't particularly warm this will cause it to be even less warm. A tent which serves as an effective windblock can help you retain a lot of heat.

These are just some things to think about when you are looking at different tent options. In short, I do believe a minimal tent like the Scout is a fantastic option for thru hiking, particularly if you are okay with using shelters to offset the shortcomings. Personally, I find the additional comforts of a heavier tent to be worth the weight, but A> I will not sleep in a shelter unless I absolutely have to, and B> I have my wife and son to think about too. When I was solo I used a hammock all the time and really enjoyed it.

swisscross
03-30-2016, 16:10
As a ground dweller I prefer a full blown tent but....
If I were to be a shelter hopper I would definitely consider this.

http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid_pocket.shtml

displacedbeatnik
03-30-2016, 16:23
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'm now leaning towards either the SMD Skyscape Scout or Sierra Designs Flashlight 1 (because backcountry.com has it deeply on sale right now) using trekking poles for setup.

left52side
03-30-2016, 16:50
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'm now leaning towards either the SMD Skyscape Scout or Sierra Designs Flashlight 1 (because backcountry.com has it deeply on sale right now) using trekking poles for setup.

As I said earlier I recommend the scout from antigravitygear.
It was A roomy tent and I liked the easy set up.
Also IMO polyester is stronger than silnylon if you dont mind the extra weight.
This tent is 36 ounces and honestly I like mine alot.
Not sure how much ill be using it this summer or on my thru hike now that I have the deshutes plus,but still will keep it in my collection,if the trekker comes out again I will definatly pick it up as well.

displacedbeatnik
03-30-2016, 16:54
As I said earlier I recommend the scout from antigravitygear.

Isn't that the same tent or am I missing something? http://www.antigravitygear.com/shop/shelters-accessories/six-moon-designs-skyscape-scout-solo-tent-2/

capehiker
03-30-2016, 17:36
Isn't that the same tent or am I missing something? http://www.antigravitygear.com/shop/shelters-accessories/six-moon-designs-skyscape-scout-solo-tent-2/

It's the same. AGG is a retailer for SMD and other cottage companies.

left52side
03-30-2016, 17:59
Isn't that the same tent or am I missing something?http://www.antigravitygear.com/shop/...t-solo-tent-2/ (http://www.antigravitygear.com/shop/shelters-accessories/six-moon-designs-skyscape-scout-solo-tent-2/)

Yes it is the same tent,just when you order from antigravitygear you get free usps priority shipping usually ships same day and comes with tyvek and titanium tent stakes.
Also just a friendly company and has helped me alot in the many questions I have had for them.

displacedbeatnik
03-30-2016, 18:52
Yes it is the same tent,just when you order from antigravitygear you get free usps priority shipping usually ships same day and comes with tyvek and titanium tent stakes.

Cool. I will order it from them for sure then if that's the one I choose (which it 80% will be).