PDA

View Full Version : bushcraft knives

SkeeterPee
03-28-2016, 22:30
I know most would say you don't need any more than a miniature pen knife, but I am wondering if a bushcraft type knife while not needed could be helpful. For instance, in fire starting a nice fixed blade knife would be better at creating kindling, splitting pieces of wood into small fast starting pieces via batoning.

So if you do carry a bush knife, what do you think of this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BFI8TOA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=A3B675FOMN6Z&coliid=I3AEICRNQIJYGG

I have been looking at these as they seem to get good reviews and are fairly light.
Also, have you had any problem with rangers etc with such a knife?

Thanks.

nsherry61
03-28-2016, 22:55
Nice knife. I have one. It's a great tool. I quit taking it backpacking because I pretty much never use it, and never have to have it. It works better than a miniature pen knife for slicing cheese and meat and for spreading peanut butter, but pre-sliced cheese and pre-sliced meat is much easier and less messy and a stick or the handle of my spoon or my finger spread peanut butter pretty well. And, when I make fires I always find easier ways to start the fire than manufacturing kindling. So sadly, no matter how cool the tool is, I've ended up not using it.

Secondmouse
03-28-2016, 23:15
as far as a Bushcraft blade goes, that's a pretty nice one. the handle and sheath are nice, it's a good carbon steel with the right grind and thickness. the robust firesteel just sweetens the deal.

however, if you just want a fixed blade just for the trail, I wouldn't spend the money for it. I'd just as soon have the 4oz Mora Companion for $16.40...

Sarcasm the elf
03-28-2016, 23:19
Mora is the way to go, but if you are getting blade that you plan on beating up, may I suggest that you get one of their companion or companion HD versions instead? Less bells and whistles and much cheaper. This one below can be found on amazon for less than $20.

http://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Companion-Heavy-Carbon-4-1-Inch/dp/B00EF2RX2C

I don't often hike with mine though I sometimes bring it in the winter for the same reasons you list. If I do then it stays inside my pack unless I'm using it. Knife laws are wierd and vary state to state, I'm not going to claim to have enough knowledge about them to make a specific comment in that regard..

orthofingers
03-28-2016, 23:20
You'll get lots of opinions on this but here's my two cents:

i too, like a bigger blade than those tiny Swiss Army knives with small blade, small scissors, toothpick and tweezers. If I were going to carry a fixed blade knife I'd carry a Mora "Light-My-Fire" knife with the hidden fire steel in the handle, orange for visibility. If I'm not mistaken, it's lighter than the knife you linked and cheaper too. Also, (and I know the bush crafters just love their carbon steel blades), the "Light my Fire" knife has a stainless blade which, in my opinion is better for hiking and camping and stabbing meat etc. especially if you don't have the optimum situation for caring for the blade due to rain, dirt, snow, etc.
I know some say stainless doesn't hold an edge as well as carbon steel but Mora has the stainless thing down and I think you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in a blindfold test. (Wow, that'd be interesting to see . . . blindfolded people using knives)

What I actually carry is a smallish Swiss Army knife. It's got a blade, file, can and bottle openers, screwdriver scissors, toothpick tweezers, and oh, corkscrew. (Very popular on the Camino del Santiago).

GreenBlaze
03-29-2016, 03:55
Just carry this. Not only can you craft bushes.. you can craft furniture, vehicles, and electronics.

The Solemates
03-29-2016, 10:31
a big knife isnt needed for long distance hiking on the AT...or for much hiking in general in today's world for that matter. i dont take a knife for many trips. with that being said though I am somewhat into bushcraft as well and sometimes take knives on long weekend trips for various reasons. it depends on if it is a "hiking trip" or a "camping trip". I also enjoy making these knives myself. I've been known to take full hatchets for winter fire and/or shelter making. My opinion on your choice is that a bushcraft knife should have a handle made of natural material...not polymeric. deer antler, animal bone, wood (my favorite is teak), etc. but I'm old fashioned. The blade on your choice is unknown from the amazon description. "thick carbon steel" means nothing. Determine the actual alloy, and then research its properties, before making your choice. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_blade_materials

peakbagger
03-29-2016, 10:55
Its a judgment call, I did a very cold april hike one year and had fires most evenings. I didn't need anything more than swiss army knife and rarely did I need it as I would just pick up tinder as I hiked in the last mile or so as I approached camp. A big knife can be handy when the weather is wet and you need to start a fire as in that situation your only option is to cut down into the center of the wood and get some dry shavings from the center. I would normally ship the fire unless it was an emergency and carry a trioxane bar for an emergency fire if all else failed. Usually if you take a 5 minute walk down the trail on either side of shelter you can pick up more dead wood than you need. I use a nylon strap to bundle it up and drag it back to the campsite using a toggle made out of short stick to pull on the strap. If I cant snap it under my foot, there are inevitably trees around for a lever or a spot under a shelter support that works well for snapping bigger stuff.

I expect many big knives (and axes) get sent home or end up in hiker boxes.

Leo L.
03-29-2016, 12:50
While I'm some fan of knifes in general, I skipped carrying a "real" knife on hikes many years back. Its of no use and just a burden.
In my experience, the stronger a "real" knife is, the less practical it is for everyday use. Really good steel quality doesn't match with being stainless - but with the little care you may provide for your knife when you focus on hiking, being stainless is essential for a knife. Also, a strong knife has a thick blade and a blunt grinding, something thats bad for as simple a task as cutting an apple.
So, a bushcraft knife is for bushcraft, and anything like or smaller/simpler than a swiss army knife is for hiking.

I will always carry a swiss army knife and sometimes a multitool, the former one for everyday use (cutting food mostly), the latter one for repairing shoes (which came in handy at least 5 times now).
What I missed sometimes was a saw, when it came to destroy a really thick piece of dead wood.

MuddyWaters
03-29-2016, 13:02
If you like , carry it.
You can always give it away, abandon it at a shelter, or mail it home

Not like the actual knife matters, cause you arent going to use it.

Slo-go'en
03-29-2016, 13:07
I carry a good sized folding Buck Knife (3" blade and carbon fiber handle). The reason I do is that on occasion I like to brush trail as I go along. Nothing annoys me more then tree branches sticking into the trail at head height which brush against my face or comes close to poking my eye out. I can take out a branch up to 1/2" in diameter with little effort. Sometimes I use it to cut up my block of cheese too :)

As for fires, if the sticks aren't dry enough or small enough to easily break by hand or over a rock, then it's too green or too big. No knife or hatchet required.

Sarcasm the elf
03-29-2016, 13:12
If you like , carry it.
You can always give it away, abandon it at a shelter, or mail it home

Not like the actual knife matters, cause you arent going to use it.

People hike for different reasons.

Sometimes I hike light and fast, for those trips my morakniv doesn't come along. On the other hand I was out on the trail for a total of 7 days and 5 nights over the winter on more social trips that involved campfires and actual cooking, my mora was used every day.

egilbe
03-29-2016, 14:54
Bushcraft and LNT is at cross-purposes.

RockDoc
03-29-2016, 14:56
There's a reciprocal relationship between knife blade size and hiker's experience on the AT.
You don't need a knife to make kindling...

Casey & Gina
03-30-2016, 12:39
I know most would say you don't need any more than a miniature pen knife, but I am wondering if a bushcraft type knife while not needed could be helpful. For instance, in fire starting a nice fixed blade knife would be better at creating kindling, splitting pieces of wood into small fast starting pieces via batoning.

I carry a Benchmade Bushcrafter (http://amzn.com/B00B0E1MB6). Expensive but significantly better quality than the Mora with a nicer handle. I think the blade is thicker as well. 8oz so not as light. The Mora is a great balance between price, weight, and functionality. I carry a firesteel in it's sheath that has a place for it, and that is my primary means of starting fires or lighting my alcohol stove. There is certainly a lot that you can do with such a knife that you can't do without one. My primary means of cooking is via a wood stove, so being able to prepare wood for fast starting, etc. is nice. Also a nice to have a strong manner to cut with in general. It's certainly not needed and is a heavy luxury item, but I enjoy it!

Gambit McCrae
03-30-2016, 12:47
I enjoy both Backpacking, as well as Bush crafting, but I separate the two with different kits, obviously always keeping with me the 2 skill sets as they are very different. For AT trips, I have brought my tops bob knife (https://www.topsknives.com/fieldcraft-by-brothers-of-bushcraft) on 1 AT trip and made a nice all natural fire with ferro rod and carbon steel, but it was a one time deal, just not needed to hike all day

HDLV
03-30-2016, 12:54
You should try a mora 2/0 or a mora 2. It's small light but still a fully functional fixed blade. I've always been of the school of thought that if someone has no skill in using knives for outdoors tasks they likely need nothing more than a tiny keychain knife. Now if you have some skills with one it may be worth carrying.
For me whittling has been one in the same with hiking/camping since I was about 5, I always bring a small fixed blade to do a little whittling after settling down.

It's like a cold beer after a hard days work for me. I also use a wood burning cook system so being able to split wrist sized pieces of wood to get enough of a fire going to burn small wet tiggs is important.

Casey & Gina
03-30-2016, 12:59
Currently a nice bargain is available on Massdrop for the Light My Fire:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/light-my-fire-swedish-fireknife

Puddlefish
03-30-2016, 15:28
My favorite. It even has pre-drilled holes. (http://www.amazon.com/Boska-Holland-Monaco-Collection-Stainless/dp/B003M5SG4M?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage)

Secondmouse
03-30-2016, 18:16
I carry a Swissbianco Bushcrafter (it's a Victorinox Farmer Swiss Army knife with the bottle and can opener removed). a knife, a saw, an awl - 63gr or 2 1/4oz

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTE5OFgxNjAw/z/zzoAAOSw1x1UM-c4/$_1.JPG

and this Leatherman Style CS. scissors, tweezers, fingernail file, and 1.5" scalpel sharp blade - 41gr or 1 3/8oz

http://goinggear.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/s/cs-style_red.jpg

Xycon
03-30-2016, 19:24
Legit question to people saying you dont need to bring a knife, and that tinder is readily available. What do you do when it rains out and you're freezing?

Puddlefish
03-30-2016, 19:28
Legit question to people saying you dont need to bring a knife, and that tinder is readily available. What do you do when it rains out and you're freezing?

Tent, towel dry, dry clothes, sleeping bag.

saltysack
03-30-2016, 19:39
I love knives but as most have said there's no real need for a large fixed or folding blade...at least for my hiking style....HYOH....I rarely build a fire as I tend to hike till after dark. The lil Leatherman has been great for many tasks over the years and weighs less than 2 oz...
Pliers and scissors have come in very handy many times....only regular use the blade gets is "cutting the cheese"....Cabot seriously sharp cheddar that is....
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160330/d8eb3b07c3b0833d2b28579d78e70d1c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StubbleJumper
03-30-2016, 19:39

I would recommend that people always bring some sort of knife, but it doesn't have to be a large knife capable of batoning a log -- a SAK Classic is a legitimate option.

If you are in the north and it's raining, when you are getting close to the end of the day, just look for a downed birch and you'll have no trouble getting a fire going. Or, you look for a large spruce and there's a good chance that there'll be dry tinder underneath. Or you just put up your tent and get into your sleeping bag.

El Gallo
03-30-2016, 20:23
I know there is a lot of debate about the need to carry a bush craft style knife. I always carry one and the one I like is the the Jeff White bush knife. The blade is about 4 and a half inches long made out of carbon steel and $40. It is a full tang knife so you could baton wood if necessary. The Mora knives are rat tail knives and could break batoning wood. If you intend on batoning wood get a full tang knife. Forget the the "Light My Fire" ferro rods. They will break with the rod flying out of the plastic end piece. If you bring a ferro rod get a thick one and make sure you know how to use it to start a fire. Bring cotton balls soaked in Vaseline as a fire starter. Charcloth is good to but requires dryer starting materials. Even if it is wet out you can get the cotton balls to burn and dryer wood can be found on small dead tree branches off standing trees. Once you get the fire going you can baton some wet wood to get to the drier interior to keep your fire going. Having some basic bush craft fire skills is a very comforting thing. Needing a fire with just a Bic lighter could make for a bad day.

cmoulder
03-30-2016, 20:53
When on the trail for a few days or longer, you might, but probably won't, need a knife. You'll almost certainly need... nail clippers (http://www.swissknifeshop.com/victorinox-nail-clip-580-swiss-army-knife?gclid=Cj0KEQjw8u23BRCg6YnzmJmPqYgBEiQALf_XzX r5-CZzsjvmjW455PYCtwNolYn9A1KkxGuLEqSobtMaAvbs8P8HAQ) !

GreenBlaze
03-30-2016, 21:37
I know there is a lot of debate about the need to carry a bush craft style knife. I always carry one and the one I like is the the Jeff White bush knife. The blade is about 4 and a half inches long made out of carbon steel and $40. It is a full tang knife so you could baton wood if necessary. The Mora knives are rat tail knives and could break batoning wood. If you intend on batoning wood get a full tang knife. Forget the the "Light My Fire" ferro rods. They will break with the rod flying out of the plastic end piece. If you bring a ferro rod get a thick one and make sure you know how to use it to start a fire. Bring cotton balls soaked in Vaseline as a fire starter. Charcloth is good to but requires dryer starting materials. Even if it is wet out you can get the cotton balls to burn and dryer wood can be found on small dead tree branches off standing trees. Once you get the fire going you can baton some wet wood to get to the drier interior to keep your fire going. Having some basic bush craft fire skills is a very comforting thing. Needing a fire with just a Bic lighter could make for a bad day.

That Mora Bushcraft he linked isn't full tang, but almost, and it can baton with no problem. Will it break? Maybe if you're a novice and use a rock.

Wise Old Owl
03-30-2016, 22:15
When on the trail for a few days or longer, you might, but probably won't, need a knife. You'll almost certainly need... nail clippers (http://www.swissknifeshop.com/victorinox-nail-clip-580-swiss-army-knife?gclid=Cj0KEQjw8u23BRCg6YnzmJmPqYgBEiQALf_XzX r5-CZzsjvmjW455PYCtwNolYn9A1KkxGuLEqSobtMaAvbs8P8HAQ) !

Totally disagree. You want to hike with a toy? go ahead. Yea great, take care of your feet... most should take care of their feet. But would you trust your life on a dull piece of stainless? This knife is very much like your first college car... it's a great starter, but lacks the strength to help you in a pinch. Yes it's a boy scout "what if" knife. The pins are weak, the blade cannot remove bark, the file is a disaster. Time to grow up and grab a Mercedes. A Sog yup, or a Leatherman. In super wet conditions - you can remove the wet wood or bark and start a fire.

SkeeterPee
03-30-2016, 22:40
This has been real good information. I think I will pick up one of the companion HD knives at $20 or less. sounds like a great deal.

nsherry61
03-30-2016, 23:03
Well first, I would never generalize that tinder is readily available. It often isn't.
As inferred above, if it's raining and I'm cold, I sure as heck don't want to hang out in the rain and try to start a fire. Setting up my shelter and climbing into my sleeping bag is a lot more comfortable way to spend my time.
If, I had a bushcraft knife with me and I wanted to start a fire in the rain, I would likely use it to at least split up some small stuff. But, if I don't have a bushcraft knife, I'll still start a fire using my skills, what dryish tinder if any I can find, and my fire starter. It might be easier with that big knife, but, it's never been required yet in my 40+ years of playing in the back-country. Generally, if there is enough wood to sustain a fire for a while, you can find enough small enough and dry enough stuff to get a fire going with a candle or Esbit tab.

So again, I would suggest that one absolutely does not need a bushcraft type knife to be safe and have fun in the woods in any season, BUT, if a big knife is part of what makes playing outside fun for you, by all means carry one!

MuddyWaters
03-30-2016, 23:20

You get in shelter and insulation.

Heres the problem. When you are really cold, your hands dont work. The more time you spend futzing around , the colder you get as well. Once you stop moving, you get cold fast. By the time you get shelter erected you can be on edge of trouble.

You stay alive by moving to generate heat, and avoiding scenarios that can kill you.

Theoretically , making a fire sounds good. Chances of being able to do it when needed in timely manner arent that good. If you have a stove and fuel, its a pretty good fire starter as well.....but damn hard to use with nonworking hands.

orthofingers
03-31-2016, 10:02
It's all a compromise. Weight vs bulk vs functionality vs cost etc. I think it comes down to what each individual values more. If you need to bring a Pulaski axe and don't mind carrying it, then go ahead. The same applies to any piece of gear you take with you. If you like to whittle in camp, bring a knife appropriate for that. If you like to be the lightest possible person on the trail, use your teeth instead of a knife.
As my wife reminds me all the time, "It's the journey, not the destination." So, be happy and HYOH.

cmoulder
03-31-2016, 10:38
My "knife" and "headlamp" when I'm gettin' all SUL-y, lol. HYOH, indeed. :)

Rising3agle
04-03-2016, 08:39
I carry a Mora Companion every time I go out (mainly section hiking, 3-5 days at a time). my pack is around 18lb, so the 5oz isn't really dragging me into the dirt (the 25lb I carry on my body is taking care of that).

I carry it because, after 28 years of being in the Army, having a knife with me is pretty much like wearing shoes. Whether it was a gerber multitool, or a pocketknife, or whatever - it's just something I pretty much always had. The Mora is a pretty durable little thing, and light.

Like many others have pointed out, you can definitely get by without it. But if you have it, you can also definitely find yourself using it every day. It's strapped to one of my shoulder harnesses so I don't need to dig around in a pack to get something to cut that line / open the package / whatever. And the stainless cleans up pretty well.

greentick
04-03-2016, 22:53
Just carry this. Not only can you craft bushes.. you can craft furniture, vehicles, and electronics.

huh. A pocket knife that actually needs a whole pocket...

Tipi Walter
04-04-2016, 09:49

There is Bushcraft, and there is Backpacking. I rarely build a fire on my backpacking trips and when I do I never use any implements except my hands and feet to break sticks and gather kindling. I'm not using the fire for warmth and it never becomes a long-lasting bonfire affair. On the other hand, I define bushcrafting as building a shelter in the woods using natural resources.

Over the years I built several tipis in the woods and one tool was more important than any other: the Bowsaw. The simple 21 inch bowsaw. Or nowadays I'd probably use this corona folding saw---

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2013-1/Backpacking-Bryan-DeLay/i-kWwPqtX/0/M/TRIP%20148%20620-M.jpg
With such a saw you can cut tipi poles to length and tie them together with cordage for the tripod and add adequate poles in a circle cut to proper length. Never used a knife for any of this work.

My "knife" and "headlamp" when I'm gettin' all SUL-y, lol. HYOH, indeed. :)

Here is my backpacking knife---

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2014-Trips-152/Back-In-Citico/i-nQm2RqJ/0/M/Trip%20159%20112-M.jpg

saltysack
04-04-2016, 22:01
Damn Tipi....see why your load is so heavy! That's a full size Bic!!![emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skinnbones
04-04-2016, 22:13
What about having a small fixed blade knife solely for the purpose of protection? Piece of mind for just 5 ounces?

nsherry61
04-04-2016, 22:19
What about having a small fixed blade knife solely for the purpose of protection? Piece of mind for just 5 ounces?
Yeah. Right. Sure. Protection from what? And how long of a blade do you need to offer any real protection? And, what skills do you have that you have practiced that suggest confrontation will be safer and more effective than high tailing it out of the area of danger?

Just asking.

skinnbones
04-04-2016, 22:29
nsSherry61 > I hear you. Just trying to cover all bases.

shawnb
04-18-2016, 23:06
The Mora 510 is also a good option. 3.25oz w/sheath. Like most Moras, it's not full tang.

Learning how to safely use such a knife is very important. Mors Kochanski is good reading in this area.

rainydaykid
04-20-2016, 17:26

If you don't have the training to use a knife in a defensive situation, carrying one for that purpose is a waste.

My firestarting kit is 0.5oz, a tiny firesteel and 10 tinderquik tabs. I also have a small fixed blade, Folt's Minimalist. With those two things I can do any survival tasks I have to. I have extensive survival and bushcrafting experience, though. Moras are always a good choice, and the full tang thing doesn't matter. I abused a Mora Companion for years, far beyond how it should be used, and never had a problem with it.

bikebum1975
04-23-2016, 15:03
The Mora 510 is also a good option. 3.25oz w/sheath. Like most Moras, it's not full tang.

Learning how to safely use such a knife is very important. Mors Kochanski is good reading in this area.

None of the moras are full tang but the newest model. Anyways the 510 is a great knife makes a good neck knife. Pair it say with an sak farmer you have a great kit with a nice pocket saw. Bonus the farmer awl makes a wicked ferro striker. I know a lot of people on this site don't see the need to take a fixed blade or a knife in general personally I wouldn't go into the woods without one. Each their own on that regards.

Dochartaigh
04-26-2016, 16:49
Here's the list from my spreadsheet of my "bushcraft" or hiking/camping knives:

Morakniv Outdoor 2000 Fixed Blade Knife, 4.3", with sheath

Morakniv Bushcraft Forest Fixed Blade Knife, 4.3", with sheath

Spyderco Phil Wilson Southfork fixed blade knife, S90V steel, G-10 handle, 4.82" blade, 9.57" overall, 0.118" thick. 5.3 ounce knife + 2.2 ounce sheath

Morakniv Classic Craftsmen 612 Utility Knife with Carbon Steel Blade and Finger Guard, 4.2-Inch

Spyderco Manbug

Spyderco Dragonfly2 folding knife, VG10, black

Like many have already said, I take nearly the smallest one with me 90% of the time (the Spyderco Dragonfly2 - only prefer it over the Spyderco Manbug because it has a pocket clip). The most I'll ever do is open plastic food packaging, or slice some cheese or pepperoni.

Now if we're talking about multi-day kayak trips, or car camping, that's when I'll bring the 7.49oz Spyderco, or a Morakniv, or my ~25 ounce huge Busse chopper....but I would still rather bring a small hatchet and/or proper saw when I'm collecting tons of firewood for a proper larger blaze. When trying for the lightest pack weight possible for long-distance hiking you really don't need to worry about fire (just climb into your tent with your nice warm sleeping bag to get warm).