PDA

View Full Version : Recycling off the trail ?

StuartCairnie
03-29-2016, 10:24
Hi All, I'm curious as to the the possibility of recycling things like freezer bags, fuel canisters in some of the trail towns, anyone have any experience with this.

Cheers

Stuart

Slo-go'en
03-29-2016, 13:14
Generally no, but there could be exceptions here and there.

Sarcasm the elf
03-29-2016, 13:21
If you puncture holes in a completely empty fuel canister the it can be dumped in any mixed metal recyling bin. I haven't hiked the whole trail, but I've found this easy to do on the portions I've hiked.

Puddlefish
03-29-2016, 13:34
If you puncture holes in a completely empty fuel canister the it can be dumped in any mixed metal recyling bin. I haven't hiked the whole trail, but I've found this easy to do on the portions I've hiked.

Even if you aren't recycling, punching a hole in a spent canister is a really good idea. Probably also the only legal way to dispose of one in some places.

Slo-go'en
03-29-2016, 14:14
Some of the campground in the Shenandoah's had bins for empty propane canisters. The only place I've seen them.

SkeeterPee
03-29-2016, 14:15
how do either of you suggest puncturing it? I am guess that an awl or punch is needed. Or are they easy to punch?

burger
03-29-2016, 14:18
I believe that freezer bags are not recyclable anywhere (someone correct me if I'm wrong). That's why we switched to cooking in our pot instead--no waste except for the bags you use to hold the food, and those are eminently reusable.

Sarcasm the elf
03-29-2016, 14:23
how do either of you suggest puncturing it? I am guess that an awl or punch is needed. Or are they easy to punch?

They're fairly beefy cans. Ideally use an awl or a churchkey, if you have a knife with a can opener, thatt should punch through with no problem. I personally hold the scissors on my leatherman micra like an awl and punch through the side wall, but I feel like that isn't the smartest thing for me to be doing.

Whatever you use, make sure to air the can out for a while before puncturing. I let my empty cans sit attached to my stove with the valve wide open for a few minutes to make sure any residual fuel has had a chance to escape.

Puddlefish
03-29-2016, 14:58
I believe that freezer bags are not recyclable anywhere (someone correct me if I'm wrong). That's why we switched to cooking in our pot instead--no waste except for the bags you use to hold the food, and those are eminently reusable.

Crunchit by Jetboil is one dedicated tool. No idea if it's any better than a cheap can opener.

StuartCairnie
03-29-2016, 22:42
Hi All thanks for all the replies, at home we try to recycle as much as we can, just trying to continue if possible on the trail.

Cheers

Stuart

Casey & Gina
03-29-2016, 23:20
Avoid disposable things on the trail:

Silnylon pack liner or dry bags instead of trash compactor bag and ziplocks.
Firesteel, Zippo, or matches instead of plastic nonrefillable lighters.
If you do use plastic bags, get beefy thick ones and wash and reuse them over and over.
Quality gear that will last rather than the absolute lightest.
Wool or silk instead of synthetic clothing.
Wood, alcohol, or liquid gas stoves instead of canister.
Buy foods in bulk or large packages rather than a bunch of individually-wrapped bites. Bulk foods can be purchased using your own bags rather than disposable plastic ones the store offers. If it means less packaging to throw away, carry more food weight and buy less frequently. Try to keep whatever packaging you do buy limited to burnable materials or glass instead of plastic whenever possible.

Starchild
03-30-2016, 07:32
Sometimes you find them, other times no.

NJdreamer
03-30-2016, 19:42
Avoid disposable things on the trail:

Silnylon pack liner or dry bags instead of trash compactor bag and ziplocks.
Firesteel, Zippo, or matches instead of plastic nonrefillable lighters.
If you do use plastic bags, get beefy thick ones and wash and reuse them over and over.
Quality gear that will last rather than the absolute lightest.
Wool or silk instead of synthetic clothing.
Wood, alcohol, or liquid gas stoves instead of canister.
Buy foods in bulk or large packages rather than a bunch of individually-wrapped bites. Bulk foods can be purchased using your own bags rather than disposable plastic ones the store offers. If it means less packaging to throw away, carry more food weight and buy less frequently. Try to keep whatever packaging you do buy limited to burnable materials or glass instead of plastic whenever possible.

How or where can I buy liquid gas in a reusable or recyclable container? I bought Heet and can't recycle the plastic container because fuel is considered a hazardous material, and they don't want the container mixed with others. I switched from canister fuel and stove, thinking it would be better for the environment and now am not sure.

Casey & Gina
03-30-2016, 20:38
How or where can I buy liquid gas in a reusable or recyclable container? I bought Heet and can't recycle the plastic container because fuel is considered a hazardous material, and they don't want the container mixed with others. I switched from canister fuel and stove, thinking it would be better for the environment and now am not sure.

You can buy Everclear instead. Yes it's more expensive but it comes in glass and burns cleanest and safest, and it has more uses. Some stoves will burn gasoline or kerosene, which you can get directly from a pump (this may be difficult and require a lot of care) - white gas is more refined than gasoline, and so with fewer impurities you get a cleaner burn, but gasoline will work in a Svea and probably most white gas stoves. The Whisperlite as an example offers a Kerosene adapter.

That said your point is a good one, and canisters really aren't that bad since they are just metal, so it really isn't that valid of a point to have on my list. My point was really simply to try to reduce first and reuse second, as those are more helpful than recycling.

WingedMonkey
03-30-2016, 20:48
You can buy Everclear instead.

Illegal or controlled in most states.

StuartCairnie
03-30-2016, 22:52
We're planning on doing dehydrated meals in vacuum bags , hoping to recycle them, I guess the best thing would be to carry them out to the trash or recycle if possible :^)

Cheers

Stuart

CamelMan
03-30-2016, 23:46
I bought Heet and can't recycle the plastic container because fuel is considered a hazardous material, and they don't want the container mixed with others.

Have you tried evaporating any leftover Heet and ripping the label off? :D

You can buy the denatured alcohol in the metal tins:

http://i.imgur.com/8TUidpOm.jpg

It's relatively cheap but it's mostly ethanol, so it'll be a little harder to light in the cold, but be safer to use, I suppose. I like the neck on the Heet bottle because I'm slightly paranoid about absorbing methanol through my skin and don't actually want to carry that little funnel.