PDA

View Full Version : Utility cord length

OhCanada
12-24-2005, 22:09
I am using 50' lengths of para-cord right now. If you carry a length of cord for hanging clothes and other utility use, how much do you usualy pack?

Just Jeff
12-25-2005, 00:13
Using 2 mil cord weighs less and doesn't tangle as easily. In addition to my tarp tie-outs, I usually carry a 30' length for stuff like that. I've never needed more than about 20', but I carry 30' in case I need to cut some off for an extra tie-out or something.

PKH
12-25-2005, 07:29
Twenty feet seems to do me just fine.

Cheers,

PKH

Seeker
12-27-2005, 13:25
i use 50' of kelty triptease for bear bagging, and a foot of paracord for minor repairs.

icemanat95
12-27-2005, 14:07
I use 50 feet of cord. Gives me a lot of potential utility and the difference in real weight from a 30 foot piece to a 50 foot piece is negligible. Where low branches suitable for bear bagging are present, you need the extra reach of a 50 foot cord to get into some of the higher branches. In particularly difficult guyout conditions, I have also needed every inch of my 50 foot cord to reach useful guyout points all around my tent (supplementing existing fixed guyout cords and not cutting the supplemental cords.)

D'Artagnan
12-27-2005, 14:13
I figure it's better to have a little too much than not enough. I carry 50 feet.

Footslogger
12-27-2005, 15:14
On my thru I started off with 50' of 18" nylon. I noticed a short ways into the hike that I always had a lot of excess. About a month into the hike I cut my line into 2 - 25' pieces and used one pretty much the rest of the way. I did keep the other half with me and loaned it out a few times. I also used it as a clothes line.

When we hike the trail again I'm pretty sure we will take 2 - 25' pieces of line. The single 50 footer was just too much to deal with most of the time and if I do need a longer piece I can splice it together.

'Slogger

blhmsoc
12-27-2005, 17:02
If you are trying to lose some weight on the rope: 1) use nature as your drying rack (trees, shrubs, etc.); 2) remember that you are wearing shoes (shoelaces are approximately 4 - 6 feet in length when combined….that’s extra rope you are carrying already.) If this is for the AT, I’m not sure you need "bear hanging rope", some sort of bear protection is provided at "troubled" locations (the bear "issue" is a whole forum in and of itself).

I usually carry 4 6ft sections of MSR rope (2 for the tarp ends; 2 for my bug netting, or varying tarp configurations).

Fiddler
12-27-2005, 18:02
I think 50 ft. of para cord is about right. That's more than enough for bear-bagging and plenty left over for making boot laces, etc. Also I don't strip the small strands out of the center to save another ounce as some do, I can remove it a little at a time as I need a piece of small string to tie something, thread for sewing (with a large-eyed needle), or other uses.

The Solemates
12-27-2005, 18:55
0 feet seemed to fare me well.

Smooth
12-27-2005, 19:37
On my thuhike I too found 50 feet a little much. My bear bag rope is 40 feet. Sewn to its own bag for placing a stone in for throwing. Tie out line is seperate. I only had one bear walk INTO camp on my thuhike, and one FOLLOW me for half a mile in Shenadoah N.P. many never even saw one. I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS hang my pack and boots at night. Not for bears, but for mice, squrrels, pack rats, and the worse I encountered, raccons. YOU can walk into town without the salty part of your boots next time, I learned. Take the willingness to change. Bring love

smokymtnsteve
12-27-2005, 20:54
0 feet seemed to fare me well.

I used both my feet...ole oneleg got by with 1 foot

OhCanada
12-28-2005, 20:07
Thanks for the input. It's not a matter of weight but I was finding a 50' rather cumbersome. Maybe I'll chop it into 30/20"

I like para-cord for the inner threads so I don't shave grams off here.

As for shoelaces, once you use them for something else that's it. So I have some black para-cord on order and will be outfitting all my shoes and boots with it, that way I can use the inner strands if need be but still have a prefectly good lace.

I do cut brand labels off and such because it is a matter of principal; no need to carry a useless tag. I've just been getting into the lightweight area this year and doubt I'll ever be ultralight as I like a margin of safety during our Canadian winters.

The Solemates
12-29-2005, 11:30
I used both my feet...ole oneleg got by with 1 foot

just what i need this morning :clap

Seeker
12-29-2005, 11:43
I've just been getting into the lightweight area this year and doubt I'll ever be ultralight...

it's not a competition, or an 'extreme sport', despite the fact that there's money to be made defining it as such... don't let marketing hype and some magazine which will remain nameless force you into a weight category... go as light as you're comfortable with... with time and experience, you'll get lighter, all by yourself, at a pace that's safe.

sorry for the soapbox, but this is one issue that really torques me... some of you may remember the calvin and hobbes comic strip. in one series, calvin subscribed to 'chewing' magazine, a color glossy magazine for gum chewers... it had exercises for building chewing muscles and stamina, 'gear reviews' of different brands of gum, a whole lexicon of terminology, and basically turned a habit/hobby into a lot of work, quantified and analyzed to the point of oblivion. my 'magazine that will remain nameless' does the same to hiking/backpacking/camping. labels like 'trekking', 'peak bagging', and 'ultralightweight' are part of the irritation.

i'm done now. thank you for letting me vent... (i think i need a hike... or some prozac... nah. hike's better...)

OhCanada
12-29-2005, 20:25
Seeker, I got some Efexor lol.

Thanks for the soap; I find more "pressure" from online than I do in books or magazines. I read Ray's book first after I read a good critical piece on the web, then I got Hiking Light Handbook in the Backpacker series and it is more balanced.

I just watch my weight now if I can get the same job done for less weight. I also try to cut down on needless weight too if it doesn't effect the gear.

Thanks again, I feel much cleaner now ;)

hammock engineer
12-30-2005, 00:58
it's not a competition, or an 'extreme sport', despite the fact that there's money to be made defining it as such... don't let marketing hype and some magazine which will remain nameless force you into a weight category... go as light as you're comfortable with... with time and experience, you'll get lighter, all by yourself, at a pace that's safe.

Well put Seeker. I think that to many people get caught up in the daily mile/pack weight game. I read somewhere else on WB concerning mileage, I think from Rock. When asked I carry just what I need and want to, and hike as many miles as I want to. Part of the whole reason I am out there.