PDA

View Full Version : Attaching Sleeping Pad With Rain Civer

nogray
03-30-2016, 12:55
I have a new Osprey Stratos 50. I really like it, and it has a nice rainfly that seems to work well. But it has two straps on the back bottom, that I've used to attach my bedroll. Works great. But I don't see a mechanism to attach the pad when the rainfly is on. Am I just missing something? How do others handle this? Use bungees? Or is the fly designed to go over the pad (haven't looked into this actually).

::nogray

Slo-go'en
03-30-2016, 14:32
If your already using the bottom straps to hold the sleeping bag, there is no good way to attach a foam sleeping pad. Using an inflatable pad like a Neoair which can fit inside the pack is a better (if not more expensive) option, but with only a 50L pack, your pretty limited for space.

nogray
03-30-2016, 14:38
So, I wasn't very clear. My sleeping bag fits in the pack, it's just my pad that gets attached on the outside. You're right, the 50L is limited on space, so at least for me, putting the pad inside isn't an option. Just trying to figure out whether the rainfly plays nicely if you've got a pad attached on the outside.

If your already using the bottom straps to hold the sleeping bag, there is no good way to attach a foam sleeping pad. Using an inflatable pad like a Neoair which can fit inside the pack is a better (if not more expensive) option, but with only a 50L pack, your pretty limited for space.

Hikingjim
03-30-2016, 14:47
I have never had a cover that I attach anything to. I put my mat on the outside, same as you, and my cover fits over everything without issue.
The only reason it wouldn't is if your cover is very small, then you'd probably have to get a bigger one.
I think I use a "60-80" cover for my 65L pack

Slo-go'en
03-30-2016, 22:05
Yes, the rain cover goes over the pad attached to the bottom of the pack.

However, a typical rain cover doesn't have enough depth to cover both the pad and the bottom of the pack because the pad sticks out beyond the edges of the pack. So the rain cover is just placed over the pad and tucked in the best you can manage. But since you have a small pack and with a medium sized pack cover, you might get nearly full pack coverage. If you can't get full coverage no big deal, the critical parts of the pack are protected. It's always a good idea to line the inside of the pack with a heavy duty plastic bag for added protection.

nsherry61
03-30-2016, 23:09
Heck, just ditch the rain cover. They are of only marginal functionality anyway. Put your important stuff inside you pack in a garbage bag, or dry bag, or trash compactor bag and either don't worry about the rest of the pack and gear getting wet, or use a poncho for your rain gear and keep everything much drier than a rain cover will.

daddytwosticks
03-31-2016, 07:20
Heck, just ditch the rain cover. They are of only marginal functionality anyway. Put your important stuff inside you pack in a garbage bag, or dry bag, or trash compactor bag and either don't worry about the rest of the pack and gear getting wet, or use a poncho for your rain gear and keep everything much drier than a rain cover will.

Agreed. The right type of poncho would solve most problems with items attached to the outside of the pack staying dry. :)