PDA

View Full Version : Carvers Gap to 19E question

Heather1027
03-30-2016, 13:17
Hiking from Carvers Gap to 19E soon. Can anyone name or point me in the direction of the list of balds/etc from Carvers Gap to 19E in order? I'm more curious then anything what the name of the bald (or mountain?) that everyone swears is the WORST right after Overmountain Shelter.

Also, someone mentioned there were ponies on this trail? I didn't finish it last year so I never saw this. I think this is more of the trail in VA but I wanted to ask.
Thanks!

hikernutcasey
03-30-2016, 13:31
Shortly after you begin north from Carvers Gap you will ascend Round Bald and then over to Jane Bald. Shortly after that the A.T. forks to the left and there is a .5 mile side trail up to Grassy Ridge Bald that has great views of all the surrounding mountains. When you pass Overmountain shelter you ascend Little Hump mountain followed by a short descent before climbing Hump Mtn. Hump is probably the "worst" you are referring to as it is a good climb with several false summits but it is in my opinion a truly awesome peak to be on top off. Grandfather mountain is off to the east and you can easily look back from where you came from to see Grassy Ridge, Roan Mtn. and the Black Mountains which contains Mt. Mitchell.

No ponies on this section, for that you have to wait until you get to Mt. Rogers and the Grayson highlands in Virginia.

illabelle
03-30-2016, 14:15
Shortly after you begin north from Carvers Gap you will ascend Round Bald and then over to Jane Bald. Shortly after that the A.T. forks to the left and there is a .5 mile side trail up to Grassy Ridge Bald that has great views of all the surrounding mountains. When you pass Overmountain shelter you ascend Little Hump mountain followed by a short descent before climbing Hump Mtn. Hump is probably the "worst" you are referring to as it is a good climb with several false summits but it is in my opinion a truly awesome peak to be on top off. Grandfather mountain is off to the east and you can easily look back from where you came from to see Grassy Ridge, Roan Mtn. and the Black Mountains which contains Mt. Mitchell.

No ponies on this section, for that you have to wait until you get to Mt. Rogers and the Grayson highlands in Virginia.

When we went over Little Hump and Hump last June, it was an overcast morning. The wind was blowing clouds across the balds. The views were limited, but it was like you were on a grassy meadow in the sky. Awesome and very sound-of-music-ish. :)

Slo-go'en
03-30-2016, 14:19
I believe sometimes goats are let loose on the balds to keep them bald.

Tennessee Viking
03-31-2016, 11:39
19E > Round Bald > Engine Gap > Jane Bald > come to a saddle with the Grassy Ridge Split (left for the AT/right to Grassy Ridge Bald)

drop to Yellow Mtn Gap/OverMountains Barn with views of Big Yellow Mountain Bald

continute to Little Hump Mountain > Bradley gap > Hump Mountain

From late June to Aug/Sept, the Grassy Ridge/Jane had goats. Longhorns are occasionally on the Humps.

Hump is not hard but you are very exposed to the rain, sun and winds. The back end into Doll Flats is nothing buy rock walking.

Heather1027
03-31-2016, 13:50
Thanks everyone for your responses! :) Can't wait to hit the trail!

JumpMaster Blaster
04-01-2016, 09:22
I have ascended Hump both in clear skies and gusty winds with low overcast (which meant I was walking IN the clouds). BOTH were amazing in their own right. The trail going up to Grassy Ridge Bald is pretty overgrown by June, but it's worth the side trip. There's a point where the trail kind of peters out at the first summit, but keep going to the second, and you'll have some great unobstructed views. Coming around the backside of GRB is pretty cool with little springs and rivulets of water all over the place.

The backside of Hump coming towards 19E? A rocky, knee bashing hell.

Lyle
04-01-2016, 10:39
I agree with the sentiments above about Little Hump and Hump Mountain, right after Overmountain Shelter. That hike over those two balds is about my favorite hike so far on the AT. We went over on a partly overcast, partly sunny day, often times hiking through the clouds, sometimes looking down on the clouds while we were in bright sun. Actually started hunting for some cover during one threatening cloud blowing over with some lightening - quickly passed around the mountain instead of directly over it. The Longhorn's just added to the amazing interest that morning, they were bedded down right off the trail, just north of the peak - some pretty good photos of them.

The Roan and Grassy Ridge Bald were in full bloom when we hiked through in June, Rhododendron, Flame Azalia, and the Gray's Lily (quite rare).

This is a very beautiful stretch of trail.

Slo-go'en
04-01-2016, 11:12
The last time I was at Overmountain shelter, the weather was really bad over the Humps, so I decided to hike down the gravel road by the shelter and see where it went. It went far to east of where I wanted to be (Mountain Harbor B+B) and it was quite the adventure to get to the hostel. But I did get to see some country and meet some people I would otherwise never would have.

Tennessee Viking
04-01-2016, 14:45
The last time I was at Overmountain shelter, the weather was really bad over the Humps, so I decided to hike down the gravel road by the shelter and see where it went. It went far to east of where I wanted to be (Mountain Harbor B+B) and it was quite the adventure to get to the hostel. But I did get to see some country and meet some people I would otherwise never would have.
The forest road leads to Roaring Creek/Minneapolis NC. About in between Elk Park and Spruce Pine.

If you took the OVMT trail down on the Tennessee side, it would lead you to Hampton Creek Cove behind Roan Mountain State Park.

Shooting Star
04-01-2016, 21:55
If you hike this section in June, July you cross when the Gray's Lilies are in bloom on
the balds (mostly above Carver's Gap). They are an awesome sight. The Roan and Grayson
Highlands trail sections are outstanding hikes.

misterfloyd
04-02-2016, 17:23
Gotta say,

the 50 or so miles from us19E sobo to Erwin in the fall was one of the best hikes I have had. The weather was crap except for the first day going over yellow mountain and such. After that the weather turned sour for the rest of the trip.
Went up for a short hike with the BSA from Carvers Gap over the two balds and took the Grassy bald trail. 5 miles in Dec. There is a flat section with a spring. 50+ degrees in december mind you. Got to see what I was missing the first time through.
Again one of my favorite sections so far on the AT.
Enjoy your trip!
Floyd

bgsnydermd
04-04-2016, 14:04
Little hump and Big hump follow Overmountain Shelter. Little Hump is a butt kicker to start the day. But does not compare to the steepness of Big Hump. Its very steep and seems to never end! But the view from the top is very rewarding.

bgsnydermd
04-04-2016, 14:05
Correction, Hump Mountain* not, Big Hump.