PDA

View Full Version : Section hike this year damascus north

left52side
03-30-2016, 18:10
So I was planning on hiking the superior hiking trail(still up in the air) this summer,but in preperation for next years thru hike I was thinking about doing roughly a 400 mile section or so of the at from damascus north to harpers ferry or so.
My question was does anyone know the easiest way to get greyhound from or to either of them places or a good ending point besides harpers ferry that is relatively easy to get greyhound from.

saltysack
03-30-2016, 20:03
If you got time for 400 miles why not thru the CT, JMT or long trail? Save the entire AT for your thru...just my .02......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sheepdog
03-30-2016, 20:07
I think there's an Amtrac stop in Bland. VA.

Lone Wolf
03-30-2016, 20:39
I think there's an Amtrac stop in Bland. VA.

no. there is not. there is a bus station in marion, va.

map man
03-31-2016, 08:12
I can't help with the busing info, but I can tell you that if you want to hike "roughly a 400 mile section" from Damascus that Waynesboro is 392.5 trail miles from Damascus (pretty close to 400) while Harpers Ferry is 553.6 miles (quite a bit farther than 400).

If you choose to fly rather than bus Daleville VA (handy to the Roanoke airport) and Carlisle PA (handy to the Harrisburg airport) are 401.5 trail miles apart. (edit: both Roanoke and Harrisburg have Greyhound bus stations as well)

left52side
03-31-2016, 15:58
If you got time for 400 miles why not thru the CT, JMT or long trail? Save the entire AT for your thru...just my .02......

I am still definatly toggling this idea and just saving until next years thru hike.
I am looking into the superior hiking trail this summer.
Was just tyhinking of doing a section hike of the AT with A buddy of mine.

Huli
03-31-2016, 16:14
Are you going to be in Damascus for the traildays this year? You could probably find a ride in if so. Getting out of Waynesboro should be easy too, I always see hikers sectioning there.

Hikingjim
03-31-2016, 16:21
when are you planning on going?

left52side
03-31-2016, 16:48
when are you planning on going?
If I decide on a section of the AT this year it will be in mid june through july.

Slo-go'en
03-31-2016, 17:26
The easiest place to get on the trail in VA via Greyhound is Marion, VA.

Toolumpy
04-03-2016, 21:23
I am planning on leaving Damascus (parking there) in May and hiking to Waynesboro, getting a bus (in Charlottesville) that goes through Bristol Tenn. Greyhound said I can ask driver to drop me off at Abington Va as he goes past and as long as it is easy off and easy on he would do it. Even if I have to slip him $20 or so. Then I can walk back to Damascus or get a shuttle to my car. Check the bus routes from your area to see if the bus goes past like mine would.

Slo-go'en
04-03-2016, 22:35
Greyhound said I can ask driver to drop me off at Abington Va as he goes past and as long as it is easy off and easy on he would do it. Even if I have to slip him $20 or so.

Better have a back up plan. Some of those drivers can be a bit testy and if their running late for any reason, detours are not gonna happen. Looks like he'd have to pull off the highway to let you off. The VA58 exit would give you a straight shot back into Damascus to hitch on.