PDA

View Full Version : How cold before supplementing NeoAir Xlite?

Midwest Mike
03-30-2016, 22:43
Taking my new Xlite out for the first time this weekend. Not sure how cold it will go. Forecast gives lowest lows ranging from 36 to 30 depending on the website. I've got a 20 degree EE Revelation and I'll probably bring a down vest in addition to my fleece to keep warm at night. But would you bring an extra foam pad?

Thanks!

nsherry61
03-30-2016, 22:51
No. Xlite is fine down to freezing.

SkeeterPee
03-30-2016, 22:59
I was thinking about this, would the ground temperature make much of a difference? Like in the late fall ground temps are still high. Where as in the early spring ground temps are very cold still. Would that suggest a supplemental pad may be need in early spring, but not late fall?

Lyle
03-30-2016, 23:00
Well, I might respectfully disagree here a bit.

You are getting down to the limit of the NeoAir, and a 20 degree bag isn't a 15 degree bag with a lot of excess heat saving ability. If I were unsure of how my system would work at those temperatures, I would probably bring at least a short or torso length closed cell pad to add on top of the NeoAir. It's light, cheap, makes a GREAT sit pad during breaks and around camp, and may significantly improve your comfort level during the night. You can never really have too much ground insulation during the colder weather.

Just realized you said you have a quilt, in that case, there would be no doubt in my mind that I would include a closed cell pad to supplement, probably a full length.

MuddyWaters
03-30-2016, 23:46
Xlites fine into lower 20s at least. Not even a concern at 30.

soumodeler
03-31-2016, 09:52
For me my NeoAir reaches its limit right around the 25-30* range. Below that I am feeling rather cold on my back.

Just Bill
03-31-2016, 09:58
xlite= 40* for a cold sleeper, 30* for an average sleeper, 20* for a warm sleeper.
An 1/8" gossamer gear foamy might be in order if you are a colder sleeper.

That said, when you are on the margin rather than automatically adding gear; consider repurposing what you have.
It sounds like you will have some extra insulation in the quilt, and some extra clothing along.
If you find yourself on the edge and a bit chilled you could put your backpack under the pad at your torso for a few more degrees.
Instead of wearing the fleece, sleep in your vest and put the fleece at your feet.
If you are warm up top- the down vest could be used to fill under your knees between the fleece and pack.
A hot drink and sleeping with a hot water bottle can get you a few more degrees as well.

I'd go for it; and use the opportunity of a shorter trip to practice a few tricks.

SkeeterPee-
Yar- ground temp does make a difference. Exactly how much it matters is tough- but 30* in spring is not 30* in fall. The dampness of spring and the tendency for the cold damp of spring versus the drier chill of fall can also seep into you to a bit more. The damp ground is also a bit more conductive as far as heat loss goes- but breaking that contact with a little spare gear is often enough to counteract that. But overall I'd tend to pack a bit more for a damp 30's spring trip than a dry fall trip in the 30's. In the case above- I think the extra vest would be my choice to help round things out a bit and make sure I didn't get overly chilled around camp before bed.

Course we've also had the whole winter- so 30* after winter feels a bit better than 30* after summer too, lol. :D

CarlZ993
03-31-2016, 12:35
I tend to sleep warm. I had my NeoAir Xlite down to about 15 deg w/ my 15 deg bag (w/ all my clothes on). I didn't get cold. I was sleeping on a shelter floor (probably colder than the ground). YMMV.

Secondmouse
03-31-2016, 12:40
I was thinking about this, would the ground temperature make much of a difference? Like in the late fall ground temps are still high. Where as in the early spring ground temps are very cold still. Would that suggest a supplemental pad may be need in early spring, but not late fall?

X-lite rated r-value = 3.2? that should be good but you never know, depending, as you say on ground temps, etc..

If just a weekend, I would supplement with a short DDF pad just in case...

Slo-go'en
03-31-2016, 13:06

Yes, ground temp is a big factor. The ground responds more slowly then the air to temperature changes. I deflate my neoair slightly so my hips sinks in a bit and I'm less likely to roll off the thing. But that area where I'm closer to the ground definitely gets to be a cold spot on cold ground. Maybe a small piece of foam under that area would be enough to keep my hips warmers.

capehiker
03-31-2016, 16:54
Xlites fine into lower 20s at least. Not even a concern at 30.

I concur based on my experience.

Midwest Mike
04-23-2016, 17:36
A belated thank you to all -- belated because I got the flu on the way home. The temps did get down to 30, and I woke up cold once, but warmed up and then I was fine. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Dogwood
04-24-2016, 00:21
WOW, good feedback after the fact. Even a thank you. Dancin Banana for Midwest mike. :banana

Busky2
04-24-2016, 09:42
I made a sit pad out of a closed cell builder's foam with a mylar surface one side that is 3/16" thick, I made it the size of my torso and it is folded into a nylon waterproof sleeve. Is is a great light weight seat that is waterproof and may be a life saver in the cold of night. I have used this material for hammocking with great success. It weighs only 3.6oz I always have it with me and know i can go a little lower with my bag if I have to and I can put it below me or even in my bag. I have been using the pad for three seasons so far without fail.