PDA

View Full Version : RIP Terry from Mountain Harbour B&B & Hiker Hostel

Heather1027
03-31-2016, 08:12
I know quite a few of you know Terry from Mountain Harbour in Roan Mountain, TN. Just thought I would pass on the news that Terry has passed. Below is the message from their Facebook page.

It is a sad day here at Mountain Harbour.
With deepest regrets we announce the the passing of our beloved owner and founder Terence W. Hill. Terry, along with his wife Mary have been providing a clean, safe and comfortable place to stay for thru hikers since 2003. As well as shuttling thousands of hikers to all points on the trail. He will surely be missed.

Gambit McCrae
03-31-2016, 08:19
I am so sorry to hear this, I had many great conversations with Terry out by the barn, one of the finest establishments on the entire Trail. Condolences to Mary and their family, The Trail has lost a great one. God Speed.

Lyle
03-31-2016, 08:28
Very sad. They were a great couple, who offered fantastic services to our hiking community. Fine folks who modified their dream of a B&B when they found the hiking community and managed to meld both aspects of their business in an extremely effective way.

I, and my two grungy hiking partners, had the privilege of staying in the "Big House" when Mary and Terry got their wires crossed about reservations for the hostel. They would only accept payment at the hostel rate. Who could forget the tremendous breakfasts?

Very sincere condolences to Mary and your family. Rest easy, Terry.

MuddyWaters
03-31-2016, 09:54
Sad to hear. They run a great place

Cookerhiker
03-31-2016, 10:38
Terry and Mary were wonderful hosts and very gracious. I stayed there on a section hike 11 years ago. RIP Terry and sympathy to Mary and the family.

TNhiker
03-31-2016, 10:41
only had one experience at their place----and that was just a shuttle up to carvers gap...

but, they were nice to me.....

maybe this community should/could chip in and get them something meaningful................

after all, they gave alot to our community.......

saltysack
03-31-2016, 10:44
Sorry to hear.....they were always very accommodating...I never stayed with them only shuttled...what a great family... Any idea what happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JumpMaster Blaster
03-31-2016, 11:20
Oh no! I am so sad to hear this. Terry and Mary were quintessential hosts every time I stayed there. This is very saddening, as I was planning a trip there next month.

Farfyter
03-31-2016, 11:35
Met him one time when he shuttled a group of us to Carvers Gap. Very friendly man.

Rain Man
03-31-2016, 11:43
How sad to read about. RIP Terry and condolences to Mary and family. I stayed with them twice. Once with my daughter in the hostel and once with my wife in the B&B. Terry and Mary were the most fantastic hosts, gracious and warm and welcoming and caring.

If Mountain Harbour wasn't THE finest place to stay along the AT for me, it was certainly one of the best and has come to mind often.

Seatbelt
03-31-2016, 12:36
I have always enjoyed my stays there (3). They have always been very friendly and accommodating while running a great business for hikers.

bigcranky
03-31-2016, 14:11
Stayed there a couple of times when our daughter was in school in Boone, got several shuttles. Great folks and that's too bad about Terry.

jbbweeks
03-31-2016, 14:45
I met Terry & Mary the first year they bought their place. They were so worried about making their business work. I spent one night with them (in barn) had breakfast then told Mary "You have nothing to worry about! When word gets out about your breakfast you will be famous along the AT." Later when I brought some friends to hike, we parked at their place and when I got back to my car there was a goodie basket with a wonderful thank you note. It read "Thank you - you were so right!"
My heart is broken for this wonderful couple that has been so kind to so many. The trail has lost a great friend! My thoughts are with Mary and I hope everyone will show her kindness during her time of grief, she deserves the support of the entire trail community - RIP Terry - you were one of the good guys[emoji22]

Tapatalk

Shooting Star
03-31-2016, 22:14
Sorry to hear that Terry has passed on - my condolences to Mary and the family. I've passed
through Mountain Harbour twice on section hikes in the area and enjoyed my stay each time.
They run a wonderful B&B and have been just great to the hiking community.

saltysack
03-31-2016, 22:38
It's been a bad year for male hostel proprietors ...RIP..,
Curtis @ Standing Bear hostel
Terry @ MH hostel
Bill @ leadville hostel on CT

Sad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk