PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Aura and Atmos, is there a difference?

Brewguy
03-31-2016, 10:07
I'm trying to determine if there is a difference in the new AG packs? They look the same and the Atmos has much better colors. I can't find any specifications which say what, if anything, the differences is. I do see there is a size difference, the Aura comes in smaller sizes than the Atmos, but I think the rest of the pack is the same.

SWODaddy
03-31-2016, 10:31
Aura is the female version.

Brewguy
03-31-2016, 10:36
Aura is the female version.

Right I know that but I'm wondering is there an actual difference other than the color and suspension yoke size? Looking at pictures side by side they appear to have the same shoulder straps and hip belt. I was hoping someone had seen them both in person and could comment on the differences. Any reason a girl would not be comfortable with the atmos?

SWODaddy
03-31-2016, 10:45
Sorry I assumed you were a guy (screen name), or asking for yourself. Not sure of differences besides the size (maybe the straps are different?).

Brewguy
03-31-2016, 10:49
Sorry I assumed you were a guy (screen name), or asking for yourself. Not sure of differences besides the size (maybe the straps are different?).

Sorry asking for my wife. The nearest store that has them is about an hour and a half away so would prefer to just have one shipped. The womens colors are horrid though. We'll just have to make the trip to Rei and try them out.

eblanche
03-31-2016, 11:18
The shoulder straps are supposed to be shaped slightly differently and the hip belt is contoured/angled a little bit differently on the aura. What is most important is the comfort and if it "fits." Osprey does not go all out with pink flowers and other "girly" designs because the fit is most important regardless of the designation of "female" or unisex design.

nsherry61
03-31-2016, 11:40
The three big issues for women fitting packs:
1) Shorter average torso length
2) narrower shoulders that benefit from narrow shoulder straps positioned more narrowly on the pack.
3) Breasts that can be rubbed raw where the should straps contact them if the straps are too wide and do not curve under the armpits abruptly enough
4) Sternum straps that are too low to be comfortable for some women (most packs now have adjustable height sternum straps)
5) Iliac crests (hip bones) that benefit from slightly different shaped hip belt padding.
6) Yeah, I know, it's more than three things . . .

Many women do not benefit from the women's specific contours of the shoulder straps and hip belt. Often, well endowed women suffer from chafing from should straps and the slightly narrower and more abruptly curved straps can be more comfortable in such situations. Also, the slightly different padding contours of some hip belts may work better for some people than others. Ultimately, as stated above, it's all about fit and you won't know until you try it.

In the end, I wouldn't be too concerned about a non-women's specific bag for women as long as the torso length of the pack is appropriate and the bust of the woman is not too large.

AlyontheAT2016
03-31-2016, 18:03
I tried on both the Aura and the Atmos and ended up going with the Aura. It's specifically designed to fit womens' bodies (because we all have the same body shape). But the Atmos shoulder straps were too big on me so that's why I went with the Aura. And I went with the gray. The purple straps were subtle enough to not be too girly for me (though I really really loath all these gear companies making womens specific products in "womens specific" colors. I wanted the Atmos in olive/orange, but fit was more important.)

Looking at the packs online isn't going to help you though. You need to go in and try them on. And they come in multiple sizes too, which can make a drastic difference in terms of fit.

Water Rat
03-31-2016, 18:18
The three big issues for women fitting packs:
1) Shorter average torso length
2) narrower shoulders that benefit from narrow shoulder straps positioned more narrowly on the pack.
3) Breasts that can be rubbed raw where the should straps contact them if the straps are too wide and do not curve under the armpits abruptly enough
4) Sternum straps that are too low to be comfortable for some women (most packs now have adjustable height sternum straps)
5) Iliac crests (hip bones) that benefit from slightly different shaped hip belt padding.
6) Yeah, I know, it's more than three things . . .

Many women do not benefit from the women's specific contours of the shoulder straps and hip belt. Often, well endowed women suffer from chafing from should straps and the slightly narrower and more abruptly curved straps can be more comfortable in such situations. Also, the slightly different padding contours of some hip belts may work better for some people than others. Ultimately, as stated above, it's all about fit and you won't know until you try it.

In the end, I wouldn't be too concerned about a non-women's specific bag for women as long as the torso length of the pack is appropriate and the bust of the woman is not too large.

Good points. I also want to add you can be a woman who is 5'6", not well-endowed, be of athletic build, and those women's shoulder straps still don't fit. I find that my build makes me fall somewhere in between the women's shoulder strap and the men's shoulder strap. It is easier to make the men's shoulder strap work for me, and the pack colors are more to my liking. It really is best to try both styles on (with weight in the pack) to see what works best for your wife.

Adjustable sternum straps are a huge bonus.

Brewguy
03-31-2016, 21:15
Thanks everyone. We'll have to go try some on. To me the silver color is to light and looks like it would be filthy looking in a short time. The women's green is just terrible.