PDA

View Full Version : My time is close and wanted to update

NewHeart
03-31-2016, 11:37
My departure time is getting close, 25 days :banana. The living room is filled with gear,boxes and food. I wanted to update all of those who helped me prepare for this epic journey. I got my pack weight to 27 pounds without fuel and water, that includes my meds, blood pressure meter, and robust first aid kit (which the doctors wanted). I also have a few heavier weight clothing items I may be leaving behind and getting later.

I wanted to thank all of you for your help, guidance and support. Hope you follow along as I will be posting on my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/BillsHeartBeats/ (http://www.facebook.com/BillsHeartBeats/) and http://at-tinman.com/

Again, thank you it was very much appreciated.:sun

Water Rat
03-31-2016, 11:42
Best wishes for a safe & happy hike! :D Go out there and make amazing memories!

rocketsocks
03-31-2016, 14:29
Thanks newheart, have a goodn' and be well.

RockDoc
03-31-2016, 14:53
My friend, I read your blog and wish you well. But I would recommend that you stop concentrating on gear and food and get out there and train. Put on your pack and find some local trails with hills. Get into shape before you hike the trail, and your chance of success is much higher. You still have time to lose 10-15 lbs as well.

Dogwood
03-31-2016, 14:58
Do you have a support team? I'm sure some of us would like to come out to support you.

NewHeart
03-31-2016, 15:59
Do you have a support team? I'm sure some of us would like to come out to support you. Right now I am solo, but I know there will be others on the trail along the way. My plan is to hike through the Smokies then leap frog to Monson, hike the 100 mile wilderness and ascend Katahdin. Take the shuttle back to Monson and head south finishing back at the Smokies. I would welcome anyone who wants to tag along. My hike is going to be deliberately slow at first. I am not in any hurry. I have no time table to keep; all that matters is I finish. I will need to make stops along the way to get blood work done and to communicate with the doctors back here.

RockDoc: There is no is no way to trim 10-15 lbs out of this pack, short of leaving it behind. All that I have in it is absolutely necessary. As I said, it's 27 lbs with 6 lbs of food. No water or fuel. The added heavier clothing (down jacket, vest, UA coldgear turtleneck and my fleece base layers) would be the only things that could drop off.

NewHeart
03-31-2016, 16:00
Do you have a support team? I'm sure some of us would like to come out to support you.
There is no is no way to trim 10-15 lbs out of this pack, short of leaving it behind. All that I have in it is absolutely necessary. As I said, it's 27 lbs with 6 lbs of food. No water or fuel. The added heavier clothing (down jacket, vest, UA coldgear turtleneck and my fleece base layers) would be the only things that could drop off.

Uncle Joe
03-31-2016, 16:27
Maybe he meant body weight? I dunno. Having some extra body weight shouldn't be a big deal as it's all fat that can be burned.

NewHeart
03-31-2016, 18:30
Maybe he meant body weight? I dunno. Having some extra body weight shouldn't be a big deal as it's all fat that can be burned.LOL, I am pretty sure he wasn't talking about body weight and I don't need to lose any of that until I get on the trail.

shelb
03-31-2016, 21:17
Good luck and best wishes! Take it slowly!

Hikingjim
03-31-2016, 23:29
his post did seem to be talking about body weight. But that will work itself out, and your pack weight is quite good. When you're close to resupply, it will feel very light!
Enjoy

NewHeart
04-01-2016, 09:24
his post did seem to be talking about body weight. But that will work itself out, and your pack weight is quite good. When you're close to resupply, it will feel very light!
Enjoy
If that is the case, good. I wouldn't know how to cut anymore from my pack. I can't afford to drop any body weight at this time. It's been too damn expensive already! I've gone through 5 sets of wardrobes already. Lost 11" in the waist.