PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Atlanta

Wesgoat
03-31-2016, 14:22
Flying from FL into Atlanta April 13th, staying at Hiker Hostel and starting trail April 14. I am going to place my pack into a cheap duffel I bought at Goodwill and check it. For those of you who have flown recently has anyone had any issues with flying with their pack? Did you carry on your food?

rocketsocks
03-31-2016, 14:37
Man are you arms gonna be tired!

RockDoc
03-31-2016, 14:41
We always ship our packs via UPS because airlines won't allow lighters, stoves (parts with fuel residues), fuel bottles, gas canisters, etc. Are you flying with a stove?

TNhiker
03-31-2016, 14:46
We always ship our packs via UPS because airlines won't allow lighters

i think they allow lighters now.....

ive flown several times in the last 2 years with lighters in a carry on bag......

Puddlefish
03-31-2016, 15:04
Flying from FL into Atlanta April 13th, staying at Hiker Hostel and starting trail April 14. I am going to place my pack into a cheap duffel I bought at Goodwill and check it. For those of you who have flown recently has anyone had any issues with flying with their pack? Did you carry on your food?

That's exactly my plan. Everything will be checked in the cheap duffle with the exception of the food bag, which I'll carry on with my first three days food, and electronics.

saltysack
03-31-2016, 15:08
I've done both but I feel safer shipping questionable items ahead via ups to hostel or hotel and verify they arrive before you leave.
I shipped
Trekking poles
Mini Bic
Multi tool
Stove
Carry on pack with everything else...on way home I'll chance checking everything..just use my compactor bag over pack with poles attached to pack..ULA circuit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baumfamily
03-31-2016, 15:15
I did the same thing that you are doing. Bought a large suitcase at the Salvation Army for a couple of bucks, put my pack, food and trekking poles in it and checked it in at the airport. They took the suitcase at the Hikers Hostel and I do not know what they did with it.

dudeijuststarted
03-31-2016, 15:16
I flew from FL to Atlanta and TSA threw my MSR pocket rocket away. Ship stove to hiker hostel.

Odd Man Out
03-31-2016, 15:52
Matches and lighters are allowed in your pocket/carry on but not checked luggage. I checked everything else in a duffel. Was flying SW so no fee. I use an alcohol stove so I wasn't worried about the stove. Fuel you have to buy when you get there. No way around that.

Undershaft
04-06-2016, 10:59
I did the exact same thing as you propose when I hiked the GA section in 2011. I packed everything (including Bic lighter) in my Backpack which then went in a cheap duffel bag and got checked with the airline. I had no problems at all. I was using an alcohol stove at the time and purchased fuel from the Hiker Hostel, so no worries there. I did carry several days of food in my pack with no issues. I think the only thing I carried on the plane was my cellphone and earbud headphones. I donated the duffel to the hostel when I had arrived and no longer needed it. As I recall they had a box in the basement for stuff like that. I figured some hiker getting off the trail could use it to put their pack in and check it when they flew home.

B.j. Clark
04-06-2016, 11:19
I will be 6 days behind you and doing the same as you. I plan on carrying on my electronics (phone/Spot/external battery), Bic mini lighter. Everything else checked in a duffle. My alcohol stove is dry and aired out with an unused fuel bottle. Flying Southwest so it's the most cost effective way to get my stuff there.

Wesgoat
04-06-2016, 13:39
BJ......Undershaft. You both checking your food in the duffel? That's my biggest question

B.j. Clark
04-06-2016, 14:39
Wesgoat, yes my food will be in the checked duffle. I can't think of any reason i wouldn't.

Trailweaver
04-06-2016, 14:58
Yes, food will have to be checked - it's gotten where you can hardly carry on a cracker when you fly! ��

HooKooDooKu
04-06-2016, 15:08
... I packed everything (including Bic lighter) in my Backpack which then went in a cheap duffel bag and got checked with the airline. I had no problems at all...
Then you got lucky...
As Odd Man Out pointed out, current TSA rules only allow matches and lighters in carry-on luggage... NOT checked luggage.
Also, lithium batteries are not allowed in checked luggage. Lithium batteries must be carry-on, and then must either be properly loaded in an electronic device or stored in their original package.

HooKooDooKu
04-06-2016, 15:16
Yes, food will have to be checked...
Food in carry-on luggage should only be a problem if it is unwrapped, or consists of liquids or jells.
All your Mountain House meals should be allowed just fine.

saltysack
04-06-2016, 15:31
Then you got lucky...
As Odd Man Out pointed out, current TSA rules only allow matches and lighters in carry-on luggage... NOT checked luggage.
Also, lithium batteries are not allowed in checked luggage. Lithium batteries must be carry-on, and then must either be properly loaded in an electronic device or stored in their original package.

This is the reason I'd rather pay to ship pack ahead and confirm arrival prior to leaving. I was told lithium AA/AAA batteries were fine either way just not the big ones power tools use...too many gray areas to risk it. If I can't carry it I ship it. If my gear doesn't make to my destination my whole trip is likely screwed up as usually on a tight schedule as was on JMT....I've had luggage lost waaaay too many times to risk it!