PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the thanksgiving backpacking meal perfected?

saltysack
03-31-2016, 21:37
I was given a meal on the jmt last year that was the best I've had in the backcountry! I've tried to duplicate but my mix isn't tasting near as good...

Ingredients I recall
Idahoan instant potaroes
Gravy mix
Pouch of turkey or chicken
Instant stuffing
Crazins
Pecans?

Disclaimer
I ate this after a 25+ mile day and 4th day without a stove or hot meal.....stove less isn't for me! Learned the hard way! I did him a favor by reducing his food load as they had way too much! I was glad I could help out!![emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Malto
03-31-2016, 22:00
Oh yeah. Dehydrated chicken, turkey gravy, stovetop stuffing, dried cranberries and mashed potatoes. One of my favorites.

ekgoodman
03-31-2016, 22:44
That's pretty much spot on my thanksgiving meal last year on Art Loeb. We used pouch chicken though since we couldn't find pouch turkey. If the flavors aren't quite right is it because of the potato, gravy, or stuffing flavors? I think we used butter and herb flavored potatoes, turkey gravy and turkey stuffing.
PS it's my first whiteblaze post, hi everyone!

Trailweaver
04-01-2016, 01:56
Well obviously you have to go stoveless four days, then hike 25 or more miles first, then cook the meal! Everything tastes better after hiking!

THEDON
04-01-2016, 06:54
If you are into dehydrating food, the hungry hammock hanger has this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-XQzLfs_jk

bigcranky
04-01-2016, 07:01
That's pretty much spot on my thanksgiving meal last year on Art Loeb. We used pouch chicken though since we couldn't find pouch turkey. If the flavors aren't quite right is it because of the potato, gravy, or stuffing flavors? I think we used butter and herb flavored potatoes, turkey gravy and turkey stuffing.
PS it's my first whiteblaze post, hi everyone!

:welcome

How was the ALT in November?

WingedMonkey
04-01-2016, 08:52
I'll repeat the answer I gave when you asked this in November.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/115529-FBC-quot-thanksgiving-quot-meal-recommendations

:p

Just got back from a local trip today....with the weather still warm here it was 10 days of no cook....even the turkey day dinner.

I added the usual amount of water to the stuffing, but cold (if Florida water is ever cold) and with out margarine.

Then added the pouched chicken and Craisins.

To my surprise the stuffing was ready to eat almost immediately. The herbs developed more flavor after sitting a short period, like maybe 15 mins.

Was a great no cook meal, might add some walnuts next time.

Desert was instant banana a pudding and dry milk shaken (again with air temp water), it was great too.

:sun

I did the same meal more or less for my Xmas week out....Except cooked (added boiling water) used dehydrated canned turkey and used instant sweet potatoes instead of mashed potato and added some chopped pecans.

Miel
04-01-2016, 09:02
How about just going into a town and treating yourself on the holiday?

WingedMonkey
04-01-2016, 09:19
How about just going into a town and treating yourself on the holiday?

Because you can do that when you are stuck home for holidays......and a lot of places are closed anyway.

saltysack
04-01-2016, 10:24
I'll repeat the answer I gave when you asked this in November.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/115529-FBC-quot-thanksgiving-quot-meal-recommendations

:p

I did the same meal more or less for my Xmas week out....Except cooked (added boiling water) used dehydrated canned turkey and used instant sweet potatoes instead of mashed potato and added some chopped pecans.

How much of each ingredient? I tried guessing amounts but didn't taste quite write.....

saltysack
04-01-2016, 10:25
How much of each ingredient? I tried guessing amounts but didn't taste quite write.....

For 1 person serving...dehydrated turkey? Haven't seen at store or did yourself?

rocketsocks
04-01-2016, 11:14
I think "lihikers" also has a recipe for fine thanksgiving dinner.

dzierzak
04-01-2016, 12:24
Thanksgiving on the trail

http://www.trailcooking.com/?s=thanksgiving

Bronk
04-01-2016, 12:50
Buy one of those 3lb turkey breasts and roast it over the fire. It will feed 2 hungry hikers and 1 dog.

WingedMonkey
04-01-2016, 13:30
For 1 person serving...dehydrated turkey? Haven't seen at store or did yourself?

Canned in water, turkey or chicken (WalMart or BJ's). The cans are 12.5 oz net weight (like everything they have shrunk the size).

They claim there are six 2oz wet servings.

I drain most of the liquid, dehydrate until dry, then divide into three servings by dry weight and bag.

I'm never sure of how much boiling water I add to re-hydrate because it's always part of some other meal. But don't flood it or you loose some of the broth flavor.

A third of a can always seems like plenty, I have done half of a can but I'm usually eating several other courses when it's a "holiday" meal in the woods.