PDA

View Full Version : Water Sources On The Duncan Ridge Trail

cneill13
04-01-2016, 13:39
I know this is a shot in the dark but I will give it a try anyway.

I am hiking the Georgia Loop next week which is a 60 mile trail which includes both current and the old, rerouted sections of the AT in Georgia.

From what I have read, the original AT comprised part of the Benton MacKaye Trail and what is now known as the Duncan Ridge Trail.

I am wondering if anyone has been on the Duncan Ridge portion of the Georgia Loop between Rhodes Mountain and Blood mountain recently?

There are two listed water sources on the 18 mile stretch that look reliable, one at Whiteoak Stomp and the second at Mulky Gap.

Any comments on these water sources or any others that may be along that stretch of the DRT trail?

Thanks in advance.

Carl

ChrisJackson
04-01-2016, 14:07
i was at mulky gap about a year ago and was very thankful to find a very small spring right on the trail. it's just beyond the fs road at the top of a draw. very slow, but cold and wet. then, i was at the same place about four months ago and that little spring was dry (on the surface at least)...so i hoofed it down into the steep draw (maybe ~70 yards) and found the spring-fed little creek which was great. camped down at the bottom that night and it rained like crazy. woke up and that little stream wasn't so little anymore and water was bubbling out of the ground in places like lava. so it's there, you may just have to go down in that draw. sorry, i can't remember the situation at rhodes mountain. will probably be getting rain in the area in the next few hours so that'll help. there is one mysterious water source down at the bottom after you descend coosa bald (assuming you're going ccw like i always do for some reason). you'll hit a fs road and there is water signage (small 1x4 blue arrow), but i haven't been able to find it yet. oh, and very near the intersection of the drt and the coosa backcountry trail there is a small stream that is fairly reliable. there are 2 other marked sources which i always find water at but i can't remember the names of the gaps! long story short- i've never had a water problem on the drt but when i do find water i go into camel-mode and drink up. and, that water at mulky gap has always been a welcome sight.

cneill13
04-01-2016, 15:33
Chris, great information. I really appreciate the feedback on those sources.

I will be sure to take some pictures of the water sources and then post them on this tread when I get back in case anyone else is interested.

FatMan
04-01-2016, 15:40
I cannot speak to any water source per se, but what I can tell you is that currently water is flowing strong in the area. I am confident that any water source published is flowing well.

Forum member "Dances with mice" in the past was the trail maintainer for this section and may still be. PM him and you will get a plethora of information on the DRT.

blue indian
04-01-2016, 17:09
i was at mulky gap about a year ago and was very thankful to find a very small spring right on the trail. it's just beyond the fs road at the top of a draw. very slow, but cold and wet. then, i was at the same place about four months ago and that little spring was dry (on the surface at least)...so i hoofed it down into the steep draw (maybe ~70 yards) and found the spring-fed little creek which was great. camped down at the bottom that night and it rained like crazy. woke up and that little stream wasn't so little anymore and water was bubbling out of the ground in places like lava. so it's there, you may just have to go down in that draw. sorry, i can't remember the situation at rhodes mountain. will probably be getting rain in the area in the next few hours so that'll help. there is one mysterious water source down at the bottom after you descend coosa bald (assuming you're going ccw like i always do for some reason). you'll hit a fs road and there is water signage (small 1x4 blue arrow), but i haven't been able to find it yet. oh, and very near the intersection of the drt and the coosa backcountry trail there is a small stream that is fairly reliable. there are 2 other marked sources which i always find water at but i can't remember the names of the gaps! long story short- i've never had a water problem on the drt but when i do find water i go into camel-mode and drink up. and, that water at mulky gap has always been a welcome sight.

Could the mystery gap be "wolfpen gap"? Thats really the only gap that I can remember on the coosa..

Dogwood
04-01-2016, 20:40
Do a google search for Georgia Loop Trail checking out the well documented water logistics on WB threads involving Dances With Mice.

It's not as hard as some make the Loop out to be.

ChrisJackson
04-04-2016, 09:06
Could the mystery gap be "wolfpen gap"? Thats really the only gap that I can remember on the coosa..

I think it's Whiteoak Stomp. You come down off of Coosa Bald and hit that FS road.There are 2 water sign markers, each pointing out in the woods...and I somewhat embarrassingly have never been able to find the water (nor the path leading to it). Granted...I've never really needed water there so I don't look very hard...but still...I'd like to find the durn thing :)

Dances with Mice
04-10-2016, 01:06
At Whiteoak Stomp look downhill, across the road, and you'll see a clump of trees down in the draw, about 2 - 300 yards straight down. The spring is there and is reliable.

At Mulky Gap simply follow the gated road to a wildlife pasture with a hunting blind and follow the sound of a stream to water. Stay straight as the road enters the pasture, you'll see the trail on the back right hand side of the clearing. There's also a spring at the lowest dip in the road, to the right, but the stream is easier to access. There are now new, more visible signs at the gated road's entrance pointing the way to water.

cneill13
04-10-2016, 10:24
I just got back from my 6 night Georgia Loop hiking trip which included hiking on the Duncan Ridge Trail between Blood Mountain and Rhodes Mountain. I can honestly state that the Duncan Ridge Trail lived up to its tough reputation. Once I finished the Duncan Ridge portion of the Georgia Loop, the BMT and AT sections seemed almost easy.

I hiked the Georgia Loop counterclockwise beginning and ending at Blood Mountain. The loop is 60 miles but I added 5 additional by hiking up from the Byron Reese parking lot and over Blood Mountain to the starting point.

The water on the Duncan Ridge Trail was adequate at best and not exactly easy to access. But I made it through the 18.6 mile section with no problems.

The first water source on the DRT heading west from the Blood Mountain starting point was at the GA 180 crossing at Wolfpen Gap (3 mile mark).

The stream is to the left of the trail (south on highway) at the road bend maybe 200 feet from the trail. Nice reliable water source.

Wolfpen Gap stream by road

The next water source is at the 6.1 mile mark at Whiteoak Stomp at FS 39. There is a little blue W sign pointing across the road and down a hill.

It is a steep .1 mile hike down to the water.

But another decent water source.

cneill13
04-10-2016, 10:47
The third water source that I found on the DRT was at Mulky Gap at the FS4 crossing. Be careful about leaving your backpack near the road as the hike down to the water was fairly far. When I came back up, a pickup truck was sitting there with two people in it. They were wondering why someone "abandoned" a backpack in the woods. If I had come back 5 minutes later, I am sure it would have been gone.

Mulky Gap is at the 11.4 mile mark of the DRT. Several roads converge here so look for the one that has a crossing gate. It is a well graded gravel road. There is a small W sign to the left of the road nailed to a tree.

The water is .2 miles down the road on your right. Not a great creek but adequate.

The final water source on the DRT is at Sarvis Gap, mile marker 16 heading west. I camped the night here, an excellent camping spot away from the Forest Service roads and locals. I had two motorcycles come through my campsite near Whiteoak Stomp the first night.

The water is .2 miles downhill from the trail. This stream is a good water source and the last before reaching Rhodes Mountain and the BMT portion of the Georgia Loop.

I really enjoyed the Duncan Ridge Trail even though it was extremely challenging. The Georgia Loop is my favorite trail I have hiked on thus far.

Carl

ChrisJackson
04-10-2016, 15:03
That's great Carl! And thanks DWM for the info! I didn't know we could go beyond that gate at Mulkey. I'll check it out next time. Carl, thanks for the report and the pictures! I'll probably hit it July-ish. It's really a great loop. The DRT has some serious calf burners on it! Peace.

Dances with Mice
04-10-2016, 17:30
The third water source that I found on the DRT was at Mulky Gap at the FS4 crossing. Be careful about leaving your backpack near the road as the hike down to the water was fairly far. When I came back up, a pickup truck was sitting there with two people in it. They were wondering why someone "abandoned" a backpack in the woods. If I had come back 5 minutes later, I am sure it would have been gone.

Mulky Gap is at the 11.4 mile mark of the DRT. Several roads converge here so look for the one that has a crossing gate. It is a well graded gravel road. There is a small W sign to the left of the road nailed to a tree.

The water is .2 miles down the road on your left. Not a great creek but adequate.

The final water source on the DRT is at Sarvis Gap, mile marker 16 heading west. I camped the night here, an excellent camping spot away from the Forest Service roads and locals. I had two motorcycles come through my campsite near Whiteoak Stomp the first night.

The water is .2 miles downhill from the trail. This water a good water source and the last before reaching Rhodes Mountain and the BMT portion of the Georgia Loop.

Great report, Carl. I think I've seen that sign before somewhere... From your description, did you walk all the way to the end of the road and the clearing with the hunting blind? There would be another sign there leading to a creek which I believe is larger than you described.
Where, in your opinion, should more "W" signs be placed to help hikers? I lean on the less is more side of sign placement but then I already know where the sources are. My idea of what is obvious may not be the same as someone less familiar with the area.

And I encourage everyone interested to hike the DRT soon. The FS has plans to relo the DRT to all sidehill from Fish Gap to the BMT intersection, bypassing all the "fun" up and downs.

I'll be out the last week of this month doing maintenance and placing more signs to water if needed.

Dances with Mice
04-10-2016, 17:46
And if anyone else intends to camp at Whiteoak Stomp, about 20'ish yards going CCW (west at that point?) is an old logging road cutting off to the right. It's a sidehill with lots of blowdowns but offers multiple flat tent sites and a lot more seclusion than camping beside the road.

cneill13
04-11-2016, 10:50
I hope they don't relocate the DRT as its toughness makes it so unique.

Not it sure about your first question Dwm but in regards to the water signs, I think they are fine as is. I think if you add more signs it might attract vandalism to the signs from the local non hikers Just my opinion

BTW thank you for all the work you do on the DRT Dances with mice. It is expertly maintained equally or better than the AT

Dances with Mice
04-11-2016, 17:20
Let me rephrase the first question: On the gated road, did you see a poured concrete sidewalk leading to a hunting blind? It seems out of the ordinary, but it's an area reserved for wheelchair bound hunters. Just past that sidewalk is a trail leading to a good stream.

There is another water source before that, at a dip in the road that is less reliable. Your estimate to water was 0.2 miles, I calculated 0.25 and was wondering if you stopped a little short of the area where I was trying to lead hikers.

I do try to keep signage to a minimum but if there are problems finding the relatively rare water sources I can add more. Vandalism has not been a problem so far, knock on wood.

Over the years I've found that the cedar plank signs I used at both Whiteoak Stomp and Sarvis Gap weathered dark and made the navy blue'ish paint used to mark the sources hard to read. I repainted the Whiteoak Stomp signs a lighter blue for greater contrast and will re-paint or replace the Sarvis Gap signs later this month.

I thought the gated Mulky Gap road needed another sign on the opposite side of the road from the sign you pictured. And I had another sign for the CCW direction entry into Mulky but, dammit, there wasn't an appropriately placed tree for the direction of the arrow I had pre-painted! I placed it the best I could but thought another sign at the road entrance, before the gate, facing the trail would be helpful and maybe another with an arrow somewhere along the road to the stream. And I need to trim some branches away from the signs, they are visible now but may be covered later this year. But that's minor, it's more important to have hikers able to find the sources.

I'm also thinking about placing another, larger "W" down near the spring at Whiteoak. There used to be a trail to water there, really, but it grew over with ferns due to lack of use. Personally, I'm fine with that.

I'm afraid the relo of the DRT is a done deal. It's a shame because we're going to lose the old mining site (second peak from Sarvis, right after Payne Mtn, but I'm blanking on the name right now) and the great view from Rhodes Mtn. As small consolation, the relo is planned on the left hand side of the mountains as you walked it, facing the Blue Ridge rather than the cleared and farmed valley on the opposite side.

TNhiker
04-11-2016, 17:24
what is the reason for the relocation of the trail?

cneill13
04-11-2016, 18:22
DWM - no, I didn't notice the poured concrete sidewalk. I was so nervous that I wouldn't find water that I very one directed in looking down the road. There was a very large military-like painted road grater about 1/2 way down to the creek on the right. The distance I used to the water source came from Sgt. Rock's BMT Guide (highly recommended).

The water signs were a bit faded but still very readable. Again, really appreciate your effort with this trail.

So glad I hiked the DRT before they move it. The last 2.6 miles west from Sarvis Gap to Rhodes Mountain absolutely wiped me out. I was throwing a few choice curse words into the wind. Literally straight up on my toes over 3 peaks. It hurt so bad but also so good (when done).

Then I hiked down the BMT to the Toccoa River Swinging Bridge for an 11 mile day. Doesn't sound like much but I was very tired. It might be the toughest single day of hiking I have ever done.

Carl

cneill13
04-11-2016, 18:31
Sorry for another post but your comment about putting another sign downhill at Whiteoak would be very helpful. There were small red flags at one of the gaps ( Whiteoak maybe) laid down the trail but someone had pulled most of them up.

Dances with Mice
04-11-2016, 20:01
what is the reason for the relocation of the trail?Quoting in its original bureaucratese from the notice sent by the Blue Ridge Ranger District of the Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forests dated Feb 23 '16:

Purpose and Need for Action

Currently, sections of the Duncan Ridge Trail incorporate unsustainable grades (i.e. steep slope) for extended distances. The purpose of the proposed action is to relocate approximately two miles of trail to a more sustainable location and maintain the existing trail. The relocation is from the intersection with the Benton MacKaye Trail to Fish Gap Knob. This would provide a more sustainable and enjoyable trail experience.

Proposed Action

Construction will incorporate the specifications of 18"-36" tread width, 7'-8' height and 3'-5' width clearance, capable of supporting foot travel. Where necessary, water control techniques such as grade dips or grade reversals will be used to remove water from the trail and reduce the potential for future soil movement and loss. Rock cribbing may be used to stabilize the trail tread.

The proposed action is consistent with the goals and objectives provided in the Chattahoochee-Oconee NF's Land and Resource Management Plant (Forest Plan). Listed are some of the goals, objectives and standards this proposed action meets:

Direction for Recreation Opportunities/Experiences

Goal 31 - "Provide a spectrum of high quality, natural based recreation settings and opportunities that reflect the unique or exceptional resources of the Forest and the interests of the recreating public on an environmentally sustainable, financially sound, and operationally effective basis. Adapt management of recreation facilities and opportunities as needed to shift limited resources to those opportunities" (Forest Plan pg: 2-31)

Goal 34 - "Trails do not adversely affect soil and water resources" (Forest Plan pg: 2-32)

The point being that if you want to experience the DRT in all its soon to be legendary rugged glory then plan to go soon. I don't know the timeline for the relo, or even if one has been decided yet.

Dances with Mice
04-11-2016, 20:13
As a side note the relo project has NOT been tasked to the GATC. I'm assuming, so take it for what it's worth, that the relo would be machine built similar to the relo done several years ago west of Wolfpen Gap and on the DRT/BMT around Licklog Mtn.

Dances with Mice
04-11-2016, 20:18
Sorry for another post but your comment about putting another sign downhill at Whiteoak would be very helpful. There were small red flags at one of the gaps ( Whiteoak maybe) laid down the trail but someone had pulled most of them up.Those flags may have marked areas of trail needing work by trail crews. It's not uncommon for scheduled trail work of the DRT to be cancelled due to weather conditions and the flags have remained.

TNhiker
04-11-2016, 22:12
The point being that if you want to experience the DRT in all its soon to be legendary rugged glory then plan to go soon.

well......

if it's forest land, and not private land, wouldnt one still be able to hike the "original" trail?

it would kinda be like hiking a manway in the Park, or a unmaintained one on forest land.......

Dances with Mice
04-12-2016, 06:07
well......

if it's forest land, and not private land, wouldnt one still be able to hike the "original" trail?

it would kinda be like hiking a manway in the Park, or a unmaintained one on forest land.......True. The old treadway will be very easy to locate from anywhere along the relo: Just walk uphill.

skater
04-12-2016, 18:37
True. The old treadway will be very easy to locate from anywhere along the relo: Just walk uphill.
LOL, so true! At least for now, if you aren't going straight up a hill or straight down, you are probably lost :-)

skater
04-12-2016, 18:42
BTW thank you for all the work you do on the DRT Dances with mice. It is expertly maintained equally or better than the AT

+1 on that. DWM, you are a DRT treasure, and much appreciated.

Dances with Mice
04-13-2016, 14:56
+1 on that. DWM, you are a DRT treasure, and much appreciated.I am not the only maintainer of the DRT, even on W-B. And I only maintain a small portion of the Trail.

Excuse my rambling....

The water sources are near and dear to my heart - when I first hiked the trail 15'ish years ago the only trail guide was Homan's "Hiking Trails of North Georgia". It says along the Duncan Ridge Road that trails lead across the road to water at several of the gaps - no problem. I almost died of thirst looking for those trails!

So I came back later and checked out almost every one of those gaps and found two - Whiteoak Stomp and one other that has since been obliterated by road work and the approach covered by blackberries. I also scouted out the water source at Mulky since Coopers Creek runs from that direction. I found the source of Coopers Creek, a spring which is down the gated road and an off to the right bushwhack, but somebody else spotted a much better source at the pasture with the hunting blind.

I like the DRT. I've scared up (and been scared by) giant flocks of wild turkeys, howled at coyotes, chased rattlesnakes out of the way, almost got run over by a big whitetail buck one time when neither of us was watching the trail or expecting anything else to be on it, had a black bear cub tumble out of the brush in front of me, and been turned back by wild hogs. The trail is mostly soft rather than worn down to bedrock, and in spring parts of the trail are even carpeted with wildflowers. The trail runs through a couple patches of ladyslipper orchids. It is so close, but so different, than the AT.

I like hearing from people that have experienced it. A hip problem which lead to a total hip replacement limited my hiking and backpacking for a few years but this year I'm determined to become reacquainted with it.

ChrisJackson
04-13-2016, 15:02
Thanks for your efforts DWM! It reminded me that sometimes...you're actually walking on grass on the DRT! That's always nice sensation. I may be in the area this weekend...Best.

Dances with Mice
04-13-2016, 16:03
Thanks for your efforts DWM! It reminded me that sometimes...you're actually walking on grass on the DRT! That's always nice sensation. I may be in the area this weekend...Best.Yeah the DRT is "wilder" than most of the Georgia trails through designated Wilderness Areas. Even most of the trails through the Cohuttas get more foot traffic. Many miles of the Benton Mac in Georgia are very similar to the DRT.

It reminds me of a conversation I had with another W-B member who had just returned from out West. He was lamenting how so few people ever saw some of the amazing places he visited because they located 5 miles or more from a road.

I said that was great! It meant that those places were only being visited by people who would really appreciate those places. And the DRT is kind of like that - to my way of thinking, it just attracts the right people.

TrailDogJohn
08-16-2016, 09:16
Planning a weeklong backpacking trip with my Scouts in late September and need some advice on water sources and campsites on our route. Our plan is to start at Vogel State Park, take the Coosa Backcountry Trail over to Slaughter Gap and eventually hook up with the DRT. We’ll go across the ridge, link up with the Benton MacKaye and then the AT and return to Vogel. Wondering about water sources as well as campsites along the DRT ridge. I’ve read about water at Wolfpen, Whiteoak, Mulky and Sarvis. Wondering about next water after Sarvis heading west. Also need suggestions for campsites between Slaughter and Sarvis. Then, what are the best campsite and water locations once we pass the DRT/BMT junction and before we get down to the AT at the Long Creek/Three Forks area. Once we get to Long Creek and the AT we’ll be fine but REALLY need help with suggestions for the DRT.

Uncle Joe
08-16-2016, 16:04
As a side note the relo project has NOT been tasked to the GATC. I'm assuming, so take it for what it's worth, that the relo would be machine built similar to the relo done several years ago west of Wolfpen Gap and on the DRT/BMT around Licklog Mtn.

The nice thing about machines like the dingo is that you can get right to the hard pack quickly. The bad thing, of course, is you initially cut a wider swath than desirable. However, time will cure that ill in that with a foot-only trail that bed will get worn and nature will reclaim the sides based on the traffic. I can understand the sustainability aspects, though. Fall-line trail is harder to maintain as run-off continually erodes it.

skater
08-16-2016, 22:04
How many Scouts? Tents, hammocks, or a mix? How many miles per day do you want to cover?

While I encourage the trip, do be aware that the DRT is tough. Carry plenty of water, and you may need more breaks than you would on the AT.

cneill13
08-16-2016, 22:29
If I am reading your post correctly, you all will basically be hiking the 60 mile Georgia Loop. The Duncan Ridge Trail is according to some the toughest trail east of the Mississippi River. I hiked the Loop last April and the DR portion was brutal. You might consider hiking south on the AT first, north on the Benton Mackaye trail to Rhodes mountain where it links with the Duncan Ridge Trail then back east to Vogel.

The 18 miles of the Duncan Ridge Trail from Rhodes mountain is incredibly challenging. You all can bail at Rhodes if you have had enough.

To start at Vogel and do the Duncan ridge trail first will wipe you out.

Just my two cents worth. I hope you all make the whole Loop.

Carl

skater
08-17-2016, 00:01
Planning a weeklong backpacking trip with my Scouts in late September and need some advice on water sources and campsites on our route. Our plan is to start at Vogel State Park, take the Coosa Backcountry Trail over to Slaughter Gap and eventually hook up with the DRT. We’ll go across the ridge, link up with the Benton MacKaye and then the AT and return to Vogel. Wondering about water sources as well as campsites along the DRT ridge. I’ve read about water at Wolfpen, Whiteoak, Mulky and Sarvis. Wondering about next water after Sarvis heading west. Also need suggestions for campsites between Slaughter and Sarvis. Then, what are the best campsite and water locations once we pass the DRT/BMT junction and before we get down to the AT at the Long Creek/Three Forks area. Once we get to Long Creek and the AT we’ll be fine but REALLY need help with suggestions for the DRT.

I think the next water after Sarvis (hiking east to west) is after the BMT junction. Follow the BMT downhill to the gap, and there's a spring on the right. According to the Homan guide, it would be about 0.7 miles from the junction. This is the only water between Sarvis and GA 60, as far as I know. BTW, when you get to GA 60, DO NOT drink from the creek where the bridge crosses. Free range chickens reside just upstream. Instead, cross the road, and about a quarter mile along the trail will be a small stream.

The best campsites between Slaughter and Sarvis depends on your group size, equipment, and mile per day goals. Of course, the places with water are good to plan around, although personally I don't care to camp at Mulky. In between White Oak Stomp and Buckeye Gap, there are a couple smallish sites with fire rings and room for maybe a couple tents. Just east of Mulky, an old service road intersects the trail, and there is (or was) a fire ring there, and the roadway has some level spots for tents. Between Mulky and Sarvis, the only reasonably open spot is Fish Gap. It's not the prettiest spot, but it has plenty of room. Avoid camping in the middle of the open area, though, as it is used for parking. An old road leads off from either side, though, with some good spots.

From the DRT/BMT junction to Three Forks: there is a campsite at the top of Wallalah Mountain, but it's quite exposed if there's any weather, and no water nearby. By far the prettiest spot is on the banks of the Toccoa River, by the swinging bridge. It gets crowded on weekends, but there are multiple sites so you have a good chance if you get there during the week or earlier in the day. Also, do not drink from the river, but there is a creek by the bridge that feeds into the river where you can get water. On a side note, just before you get to the river, there's a good spot for some souvenir photos. Trail maintainers repurposed a massive stump, turning it into a "throne", or large chair - makes a pretty cool shot, especially for youngsters..

Past the river, I think Bryson Gap is the next decent campsite. After that, you might be tempted by the large open area (about 3.5 miles past Bryson Gap). Don't camp there, although you might be OK at the very edges. This spot is used for helicopter landings by Army Rangers, even at night. However, there's a spot just a half-mile further I much prefer, on the banks of a lovely stream. Probably won't hold more than a couple tents, though.

TrailDogJohn
08-23-2016, 16:56
We may alter our plan and start at Springer or Three Forks and hike the AT to BMT/DRT then split and then take the DRT to Slaughter Gap and then the AT back to Springer. That way on the DRT we're hiking toward water sources instead of away from them by heading east and that may eliminate having to carry loads of water every day.

Flashg
08-30-2016, 09:10
I am doing theGeorgia Loop Trail over the Labor Day weekend and would like a secure place to parkmy vehicle. Can anyone make a recommendation? I had thought that Skeenah CreekCampground, 20 Skeenah Gap Rd. Suches, GA would be a great place and allow me to gocounterclockwise and do the DRT last.

cneill13
08-30-2016, 13:17
I parked my car at Neel's Gap at the Byron Reese parking lot when I did the Loop last April.

I then hiked up to the AT at Flatrock Gap and went south over Blood Mountain to the DRT starting point.

I hiked over Slaughter Mountain heading west on the DRT to the BMT. South on the BMT and then north on the AT back to my car.

You will have to climb Blood Mountain twice unless you take the Freeman Trail around Blood and it adds 5 miles to the Georgia Loop.

You could obviously do it the opposite way if you wanted to do the DRT last. I recommend doing the DRT first as it will kick your a$%.

But I really enjoyed the challenge of Blood Mountain at the start and finish. Have a great time. It is very challenging but incredibly rewarding.

Carl

Mockernut
09-01-2016, 08:02
Not sure that I would agree about the Freeman adding 5 miles since it replaces a similar amount of miles going over Blood.

I suggest taking the Freeman southbound near the start of the hike and then going over Blood on the return hike nobo on the AT. Climbing Blood from south to North has always seemed easier and far more enjoyable to me.

cneill13
09-01-2016, 08:16
Freeman trail does not add mileage. It is the hike over Blood mountain twice and the hike down to the Byron Reese parking area where I began my hike. That extra adds about 5 miles to the Georgia Loop.

Mockernut
09-02-2016, 07:36
Ah, I mis-read that, sorry. I do like the Freeman as a sobo bypass to Blood, especially on the weekends when the trail is packed with day hikers.

TrailDogJohn
10-11-2016, 10:08
Just back from hiking the GA Loop from Springer going west to east/clockwise. Not much water anywhere. Small trickles at Bryson Gap. Take water trail to left/west and look for small flow. Better flow on water trail to the right. Take trail until it runs into old logging road, look for orange surveyors tape on small tree, turn left and go downhill to a decent source. Trail to east leads to water too way downhill past 2 campsites. No watere at White Oak Stamp = had a shuttler bring water to us. Good water at Wolfpen Gap alongside the road downhill to south/east. Good water on AT below Woody Gap. Signs warning no water north on AT from Woody until you get to Neel Gap.

piratekitty
12-08-2016, 20:07
Does anyone know where I could find a map of the Ga Loop trail?

skater
12-08-2016, 20:50

The BMTA has this overview map: //http://www.bmta.org/imgs/GA-60-Mile%20loop.jpg. PM me if you need more detail - it's not far from me.

piratekitty
12-08-2016, 21:50
Is there an actual map anywhere? or what maps should I be looking for?

skater
12-09-2016, 17:07
Let me try this again from the big screen where I can see what I type:
http://www.bmta.org/imgs/GA-60-Mile%20loop.jpg is the only map I've seen to date that covers the loop as an entity. Each of the three trails has far more detailed maps available. Well, at least BMT and AT do. DRT is still rather scarce.

clusterone
12-09-2016, 17:25

Hello,

See the attached kmz. Just import it into your favorite phone app or other device. The pdf is a topo excerpt. FYI- Duncan Ridge is difficult, but amazing. Well, I made the mistake of setting myself up for 15 mile days which made it harder than it needed to be.

Happy Hiking!

skater
12-09-2016, 17:29
Here is another source that might be of some use, as it shows the loop in context of surrounding trails. A small corner of the loop is omitted as it falls just outside the map boundary, but it's useful for general planning and an overview of where you are as you traverse it. You should still supplement with detail maps for the three component trails.

http://unioncountyatcommunity.net/UC%20Trails%20Brochure%20v8.pdf

It's formatted to print on both sides of 1 legal-size sheet of paper. Starting in the lower left, you'll find the AT, somewhat northeast of Springer. Follow the red line up to the Duncan Ridge cutoff near the lower right-of-center. Hang a left and follow the DRT back west to the pinkish line, which is the BMT. Hang a left and follow the BMT back to the AT (offpage, unfortunately).

skater
12-09-2016, 17:37
For those not familiar with the Duncan Ridge Trail, heed clusterone's warning. You can probably count on making about 2/3 of your normal daily miles on this trail. With peaks named Akin and Payne, you can't say you weren't warned.:D

thateffingmick
12-27-2016, 17:36
Also, do not drink from the river,

Hi, Skater.
Could you elaborate on the water from the Toccoa River? I've seen this comment a couple of times.
Thanks!

skater
12-27-2016, 21:30
There are farms upstream with unhealthy runoff. May inclide chemicals that a filter won't remove.

skater
12-27-2016, 21:53
As of 12/26/2016 - the spring at Sarvis Gap is bone dry.

Dogwood
12-27-2016, 22:29
For those not familiar with the Duncan Ridge Trail, heed clusterone's warning. You can probably count on making about 2/3 of your normal daily miles on this trail. With peaks named Akin and Payne, you can't say you weren't warned.:D

The Loop isn't as hard as made out to be. Yeah, it's a roller coaster but it's shaded. It's often made out to be the toughest hike in GA. Opinions about that vary. It's a great Loop for a 3-4 day hike for strong hikers 4-5 for medium strength hikers. Water sources and other Georgia Loop, and individual legs of the loop involving the BMT, DRT, and AT are well known and are easily available. Beta is well anal-zed. IMO, the DRT beta particularly the water situation isn't all that a hassle and the DRT threads here on WB are the best overall I'm aware of.

The GT can be logistically approached from so many angles. One might consider using the GL Loop as the lollipop added to a stick or two sticks to a longer duration hike which again has several options involving the AT, BMT, Vogel SP/Coosa Backcountry Loop, Brasstown Bald.....

Hi, Skater.
Could you elaborate on the water from the Toccoa River? I've seen this comment a couple of times.
Thanks!

Check out the BMT Tacooa River comments.

There are farms upstream with unhealthy runoff. May inclide chemicals that a filter won't remove.

http://www.bmta.org/sections/BMT-SecDescrip-02.pdf

johnspenn
12-29-2016, 08:37
Beta is well anal-zed. IMO, the DRT beta particularly ...

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "DRT beta"?

Dogwood
12-29-2016, 11:10
Could you elaborate on what you mean by "DRT beta"?

DRT beta is referring to Duncan Ridge Trail logistical information. Water sources w/ reliability history, TH's/trail junctions, length, elevation profile, campsites, road crossing(s), high GA elevation dry ridge line terrain, other trail conditions(shaded, rocky areas, tread composition, wider almost road like segments, degree of understory/brush, deciduous higher canopied vegetation, width, etc,)

The DRT is only a 30-36 mile segment of trail in a larger interconnected trail system that's been given a label. It's no more important by virtue of that label alone.

As said lots of good "beta" on the DRT here on WB and a few other sources. Again, we're talking about 36 miles of trail. Kinda a drop in the bucket in context of the 1000's of miles of trail it is interconnected. :)

johnspenn
12-29-2016, 19:27
Thank you, Dogwood. I'm new to this stuff and didn't understand what the term "beta" denoted in this context. Very comprehensive answer! =)

thateffingmick
12-31-2016, 18:51
Thanks for the info on the Toccoa River.

I walked Mulkey Gap to Coosa a couple of days ago and would agree that (at least that section) wasn't as tough as I expected. Granted, it was an out-and-back day hike, so I wasn't loaded down. Someone had left water above Mulkey and, IIRC, at Whiteoak Stomp.

A very nice walk - quiet and secluded with nice winter views.

icehockychick
01-02-2017, 17:43
piratekitty.... If you are looking for an actual map, get the National Geographic Georgia #777 (Springer and Cohutta Mountains)... the entire GA Loop is on the "east side" of the map.

I'll be out on the loop in early April; Im hoping they haven't started the relo! :)

Dogwood
01-02-2017, 23:28
piratekitty.... If you are looking for an actual map, get the National Geographic Georgia #777 (Springer and Cohutta Mountains)... the entire GA Loop is on the "east side" of the map.

I'll be out on the loop in early April; Im hoping they haven't started the relo! :)

What relo?

icehockychick
01-02-2017, 23:54
DWM mentioned (earlier in this post) that they (Forest Service) are planning a relocation of a section of the DRT at the far west end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnspenn
04-09-2017, 20:45
Is there any news on the DRT relo? Has it begun/been completed or is it still being planned?

jfconnolly2
04-09-2017, 21:53
https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=48795&exp=detail

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

johnspenn
04-10-2017, 13:33
Thanks I subscribed to the email updates. I read through some of the comments and I didn't see ANYONE in favor of the relo, and most indicated it wasn't even necessary. We'll see how it goes I guess.

skater
04-10-2017, 19:26
I'm guessing there's a couple years left (at least) to get your exercise in on the current route. There's a ton of paperwork to complete before ever breaking ground, and a huge amount of effort to actually build the new route (although the plan is to reuse an old roadbed which will cut out some of that). I haven't seen any official timetable though.

cneill13
04-11-2017, 10:38
I can't believe the part of the trail they are relocating. That was my favorite part of the DRT and Georgia Loop. It absolutely wiped me out.

I remember uttering many a curse word at those mountains. This section is less than 4 miles but includes a hike up Payne Knob, Gregory Knob and then Rhodes mountain.

So satisfied when I was done.

I don't care how they relocate the trail, I can still hike the old one.

Carl