PDA

View Full Version : Ticks in VA

Hikingjim
04-01-2016, 13:46
I am hiking from rockfish gap south at the beginning of May and I'm curious if anyone know if ticks are much of an issue then in this area? Or any other bugs for that matter (ie: should I bring my bug net or anything)

I read some other threads, but wasn't sure on the timing in this area. I am from Canada and cannot buy permethrin... so that's a bit annoying. I don't exactly want to buy some at REI and sit around waiting for that stuff to dry when I arrive and am ready to start my hike!

I've read they're almost non-existent above about 2500 ft. So maybe I'll just use some deet at lower elevation if they're around

Thanks!

bigcranky
04-01-2016, 14:01
Yes, ticks can be an issue, and the elevation doesn't matter -- I got totally covered in ticks at the top of Hogback in Shenandoah which is about 3400 feet. (Got Lyme disease out of it, too. :( ).

We've been using Permethrin on our clothing ever since. I totally get that you don't want to wait around for it to dry - you'll lose a day -- but it has worked for us for ten years so far. If you'll be out for weeks or months, it's probably worth the day. A long weekend, not so much. At least go for DEET sprayed around your ankles, and do tick checks religiously.

Good luck - that's a great section south of Rockfish.

Flash52
04-01-2016, 14:55
Yes, the ticks seem to arrive in MD during May and then full force in June. If you can wear something that completely covers your legs and is sealed off by your socks overlapping, this will help. Check closely each night and look everywhere!

poopsy
04-01-2016, 16:53
The problem of not getting permethrin in Canada is an irritating problem. Health Canada recommends that people use permethrin on their clothing but a Health Canada agency, the Pest Management Regulatory Agency will not allow the public to use it! Makes sense?? At the same time Canadian companies ship treated permethrin-treated mosquito nets around the world and the Canadian Military have been using it for decades.

What are your choices? You can buy it off amazon.com and have it shipped across the border. Or you can use formulations not approved for human use. All Canadian hardware stores have permethrin on their racks. It's used for crawling insects in houses. People use it on baseboards, let it dry and it's fine. Similarly most farm supply places and some pet stores have permethrin products in the form of concentrate and sprays. Again, it's for crawling insects.

I confess to using "indoor pest spray" on my pack, boots, outer socks, lower pant legs, hat and my tent when I can't get product from the US. Remember to let it dry before wearing. There is nothing like seeing a swarm of blackflies backing away from your tent after using this stuff. Play with at your own risk.

poopsy

Hikingjim
04-01-2016, 17:11
Amazon.com won't ship it to me. REI seems to able to, so I guess I'll pay the $20 shipping to get a 24 oz bottle
Thanks for the replies

lonehiker
04-01-2016, 17:13
I am hiking from rockfish gap south at the beginning of May and I'm curious if anyone know if ticks are much of an issue then in this area? Or any other bugs for that matter (ie: should I bring my bug net or anything)

I read some other threads, but wasn't sure on the timing in this area. I am from Canada and cannot buy permethrin... so that's a bit annoying. I don't exactly want to buy some at REI and sit around waiting for that stuff to dry when I arrive and am ready to start my hike!

I've read they're almost non-existent above about 2500 ft. So maybe I'll just use some deet at lower elevation if they're around

Thanks!

Www.insectshield.com mail your clothing items and have this company treat them for you. Assuming it is legal.

THEDON
04-01-2016, 17:19
Www.insectshield.com (http://Www.insectshield.com) mail your clothing items and have this company treat them for you. Assuming it is legal.

We just sent ours out this week. It looks like you can send them from Canada ( it doesn't say you can't). I'd give them a call / email to see what may be involved. If rei can't ship you, the directions on the spray bottle says let dry for 2 hours, 4 if it's humid, so you won't lose a day if you pick up here. Walmart sells for under $10.00 in stores, so maybe check them too. Got to be cheaper than REI.

Hikingjim
04-01-2016, 17:49
Ordered some from basspro. $30 with shipping for a 24 oz, so that should do. I'd rather get it done in my yard than be messing around after the long haul down there!
Where I normally canoe/hike the black flies and mosquitoes are horrendous mid-may - july, so I'll give this stuff a whirl around here on some bug season trips.
That insectshield service looks cool

El Gallo
04-01-2016, 19:42
The Sawyer stuff is 0.5% permethrin. Tractor Supply sells a 10% solution for $10. Dilute it 1 to 20 and you are good. It is made for livestock. Don't use it straight.

Studlintsean
04-01-2016, 23:20
I hiked the section between Daleville and Catawba a few weeks ago and pulled a tick
off my dog so they are out there. Enjoy the bike, Rockfish Gap south is a nice (and tough) section

smoovoperator
04-03-2016, 09:15
Good thread, I am doing a section in mid man in VA. Guess I will be buying me some of that as well.