PDA

View Full Version : Trail Running Shoes

pickle
04-01-2016, 20:27
I would like to get your opinions on what Trail Running Shoes are good for the A.T.:confused:

Malto
04-01-2016, 21:14
I highly suggest ones that fit your feet properly and that you have worn on previous hikes.

saltysack
04-01-2016, 21:56
Do not order online until you have tried on at a store....I tried several brands before finding the best fit for my wide feet. Size up a half to whole size as feet swell on long hikes...LaSportiva wildcats have been great for ME.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Violent Green
04-01-2016, 22:13
Go to a running store and try some on. Each brand has their own style, fit, etc. Salomon's have always worked well for me, but they may turn your feet to mush.

The Cleaner
04-01-2016, 22:17
I wouldn't wear them on a day hike.:eek:

CoffeeBru
04-01-2016, 22:37
I've been very happy with my LaSportiva Ultra Raptors - fantastic grip and they breath really well. They run small so you'll need to size up. You should definitely try them on first to be sure you like the fit. There's a detailed review on Section Hiker (http://sectionhiker.com/hiking-la-sportiva-ultra-raptor-trail-runners/). Shoes are a really personal choice. Try lots before you buy.

shelb
04-01-2016, 23:12
I was shocked when I went into a running store....

The salesperson had me walk back and forth several times to examine my "gait."

She then had me try on multiple shoes - walking around the store in each.

She spent over an HOUR with me to get the perfect shoe, and even then - she told me I could bring them back if they weren't the right shoe - even after my 100 mile A.T. trip!

The results? OMG! I loved the shoes! First time = NO BLISTERS!!!! The dry out so quickly after rain or sloshing in a puddle!

I would not go in anything but Trail runners!!

CamelMan
04-01-2016, 23:44
Yes, try lots of them on, in person. Eventually you'll know what you like, and might be able to order online based on reviews and comparisons. (In other words, more research than the time it would take to just go to a store, if you're near a good one, which I only am in theory.) There's even an online shoe finder (http://trailrunner.com/find-a-trail-shoe/) that can give you some suggestions.

Right now the shoes I use are New Balance 1210s, but when it's cold enough and/or for support when I'm carrying a heavy pack I'll wear Salomon XA Pros. I think they're both great and have their niche.

jj dont play
04-01-2016, 23:50
I was shocked when I went into a running store....

The salesperson had me walk back and forth several times to examine my "gait."

She then had me try on multiple shoes - walking around the store in each.

She spent over an HOUR with me to get the perfect shoe, and even then - she told me I could bring them back if they weren't the right shoe - even after my 100 mile A.T. trip!

The results? OMG! I loved the shoes! First time = NO BLISTERS!!!! The dry out so quickly after rain or sloshing in a puddle!

I would not go in anything but Trail runners!!

That's the norm for a specialty running store!

Going to a running store and getting one on one help and eval would be your best bet.
The one I go to has a crazy awesome return policy. They suggest then to you and the shoe doesn't work out (blisters,etc), you can return them no problem

mortonjl
04-02-2016, 05:35
Fit is everything, just because some work for others doesn't mean they'll work for you.

denimlabels
04-02-2016, 22:24
Fit is everything, just because some work for others doesn't mean they'll work for you.

I like shoes with lots of grip and fairly thick soles that relieve the punishment of sharp rocks. I use La Sportiva Mutants at the moment but they arent for everyone. Awesome grip. Dry quickly.

smoovoperator
04-03-2016, 09:12
I agree. Go to a running store, those people know how to get a proper fit, and size up.

CamelMan
04-03-2016, 17:50
I use La Sportiva Mutants.... Awesome grip. Dry quickly.

Hmm... I tend not to cheat on what's been true to me, but those look really sexy so the next time I'm feeling ****ty I might try them on.

denimlabels
04-03-2016, 18:14
I like shoes with lots of grip and fairly thick soles that relieve the punishment of sharp rocks. I use La Sportiva Mutants at the moment but they arent for everyone. Awesome grip. Dry quickly.

Must size up at least 1 to 1.5. I dunno why. This pair I have now have the insoles that came with em. I wear a pair of injinji toe socks with a thin darn tough running sock over the top. I rarely get a blisters anymore but wish I had room for some insoles. Whatever. Next time I get another 1/2 size larger.

The lacing system on this shoe is really crazy too. There are no second holes near the tongue to do a lace lock method of tying but if you get them tied up right to your foot you wont have to. Im like the size of Santa Clause and I can bomb down trails in these better than the wildcats. The wildcats are pretty slick on muddy downhills for me. But im a big guy.