PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for eastern PA / NJ overnight

SkeeterPee
04-02-2016, 22:22
My 22 yo son wants to do some backpacking with me, but his and my schedule do not seem to be matching up for a week long hike. So we may be able do a 2 day weekend trip or a 3 day with a holiday.

My next section of the AT would be east of Duncannon PA, but we don't have to do that section. I was thinking a section with nice views in the eastern PA or NJ section would be good. Maybe we can do a couple of them on different weekends. And it would not need to be AT if you want to suggest some other Eastern PA or NJ hike. While he may be able to do more than 10 miles per day, I find 10 miles /day works for me.

Thanks, for your recommendations.

somers515
04-03-2016, 07:19
Check out the area around Delaware Water Gap or I would also recommend the area near High Point, NJ for nice views. I would try to avoid the section near Wind Gap, PA as there is a fair amount of the PA rocks there and the views aren't as plentiful. Enjoy your hike!

stillatit
04-03-2016, 20:39
There are some views along the long mountain E of Duncannon, and there are more at several places E of there, incl. The Pinnacle on Blue Mtn. past Port Clinton (Nobo), and the area around the Lehigh River overlooking Palmerton, partly due to zinc pollution denuding the land of trees. But somers515 is correct. DWG is the best. Also, beyond that (Nobo) there is a nice fire tower with views, of course, (Catfish Fire Tower) that you can still go up in NJ, just N of the Mohican Outdoor Center, not a bad place to stay if you don't mind giving your $ to the AMC. In fact, that last mentioned area would make a nice 2-3 weekend trip.

fiddlehead
04-03-2016, 21:35
From Duncannon to NJ border is all pretty good and pretty much the same kind of hiking:
Ridge walking with typical PA views from time to time.
Some of my favorite sections in there are:
Rauch Gap (St Anthony's wilderness)
Lehigh Gap northbound (love that climb)
Pinnacle (but never on a weekend, too crowded)

But it's all good.
Not too many roads, lots of rocks (shows you the PA rock experience, which starts near Duncannon and north IMO), the typical PA (farm) views, and some very interesting shelters: Rausch Gap, William Penn, the 2 that involve permanent caretakers (and have electricity), and best of all: I can see my house in PA from the view behind Eagles Nest Shelter.
For towns, you have Port Clinton with it's history, and pavilion, P-nut shop, Port Clinton hotel for fries, and nearby Cabelas.
Palmerton which used to have the jail to sleep in. (I think no longer available)
And Delaware Water Gap of course with it's history and dynamic location.

Good luck and have fun.
Enjoy the rocks.
They can be fun (if you take your time and learn to enjoy rock hopping)