PDA

View Full Version : Found gear on the ground near the trail. Could be suspicious.

steve_zavocki
04-03-2016, 07:42
While section hiking yesterday, April 2, between Deep Gap, NC and Dicks Creek, Ga I saw some loose gear down from the trail.

Something blue caught my eye in the woods about 25 ft off the trail. I went over to investigate and it was a packed up tent. From there I could see more gear another 20 ft downhill. I examined that piece but down really know what it was.

The exactish location was "As Knob" which is between Blue Ridge Gap and the Plumorchard shelter. This location is where the hill drops off very steep and goes a long way down. It is far too steep to camp.

I tries yelling to see if anyone was down there and I couldn't see any more gear after the second piece. I have photos of the gear in case anyone is looking for it or the owner.

smoovoperator
04-03-2016, 09:11
Hope you can find the owner!

egilbe
04-03-2016, 10:39
Not saying this happened, but people drop gear all the time. Sometimes they are hoping someone picks it up and brings it to them ;)

Bronk
04-03-2016, 10:42
More than likely somebody got tired of carrying their gear and chucked it down the hill.

steve_zavocki
04-03-2016, 10:55
Maybe...I have no idea. It was far enough off trail for someone to chuck it that far without hitting a tree first. Hopefully nothing...gear is.still in.the same spot, I left it as it was.

gpburdelljr
04-03-2016, 12:49
Lots of gear is abandoned this time of year by unprepared people attempting a thru hike that just quit. Given the location, that is most likely what it is.

Slo-go'en
04-03-2016, 13:12
Or a bear ran off with someone's pack. That happens from time to time around there too...

GoldenBear
04-03-2016, 14:41
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/105866-Bizarre-scene-at-Lambert-Meadows-Camp-Site-any-ideas?highlight=

gpburdelljr
04-03-2016, 14:58
In "A Walk in the Woods" Katz threw out a lot of things on the first day of hiking.

climbingbear
04-03-2016, 15:27
I've come across tossed gear in Shenandoah National park. I believe it was weekenders not wanting to carry their cheep heavy gear back up to Skyline Drive on the ridge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

hikeandbike5
04-03-2016, 15:52
it was trash. you should have packed it out

saltysack
04-03-2016, 17:42
Lots of gear is abandoned this time of year by unprepared people attempting a thru hike that just quit. Given the location, that is most likely what it is.

+1. Almost always see crap like this especially after the bubble esp in Ga-NC...usually you can tell it's an aborted thru by an unprepared newbie when it's Ozark trail from Wally World . In the future if possible carry out abandoned gear to at least to a road crossing etc...so it can be disposed of..

turtle fast
04-03-2016, 20:01
You see abandoned stuff a lot. Even on the approach trail to Springer Mtn, you see gear/clothes tossed to the side. I saw so much gear after the bubble in 08' you could of almost outfitted yourself. (Almost all cheap Walmart gear)

ScareBear
04-12-2016, 08:05
Most likely abandoned gear by a disillusioned thru-hiker. I've seen tents, sleeping bags, boots, food, you name it. Especially in the first 40 miles of the AT....

soumodeler
04-12-2016, 08:10
Heading up the approach trail Dec 31 I found a complete 2 person camp setup abandoned next to the trail. Filled with water but all kinds of gear just laying there.

peakbagger
04-12-2016, 08:38
I found close to entirely abandoned campsite once just off a walking trail. It was all cheap gear. It was odd until I walked over to it through the grass and discovered about 40 ticks crawling on my hiking boots. I had sprayed my pants with Pemethrin recently so they stayed off my pants but the entire area was infested with ticks. I expect someone came in at night, set up and then discovered in the AM that the place was loaded with ticks and decided to head out leaving their gear behind.