PDA

View Full Version : Over-Ear headphones

jimyjam
04-03-2016, 11:05
I am looking for a pair of Bluetooth, Over-the-Ear headphones (Not earbuds...they hurt my ears) that are water proof/resistant that will withstand the punishment of an Appalachian Trail Thru Hike. Does such a thing exists? Any suggestions that do not include using earbuds are welcome and appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

poopsy
04-03-2016, 13:48
Hi,

I know what you mean about earbuds. They drive me crazy too. I don't use bluetooth while I hike 'cause it drains the battery too quickly. I've been using these constantly for about 4 years now and have been very happy with them in all kinds of weather. The jack is surprisingly tough.

http://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/headband-headphones/mdr-g45lp

poopsy

OkeefenokeeJoe
04-03-2016, 14:57
I think anyone wearing earphones on the Appalachian Trail should be rubbed down with bacon grease and chained to a tree for ... say ... three days. That is just so absurdly wrong. In the privacy of your tent? ... okay, I can stomach that, but to see people hiking the trail while wearing a set of Dr. Dre's is contrary to all things sacred about being on the trail. Plus, in my opinion, it's totally unsafe. If you want to listen to mindless music, stay home, lock yourself in your room, and have at it.

OkeefenokeeJoe

jimyjam
04-03-2016, 16:06
I think anyone wearing earphones on the Appalachian Trail should be rubbed down with bacon grease and chained to a tree for ... say ... three days. That is just so absurdly wrong. In the privacy of your tent? ... okay, I can stomach that, but to see people hiking the trail while wearing a set of Dr. Dre's is contrary to all things sacred about being on the trail. Plus, in my opinion, it's totally unsafe. If you want to listen to mindless music, stay home, lock yourself in your room, and have at it.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Ok...You are making some assumptions! As I never gave reasons why I have a need for them, but I guess you are entitle to your opinions and ass-umptions!

Not that I need to explain to anyone why I have a need for headphones while I hike my own hike with respect to the trail and all who use it. But, I do not hike and listen to music. It's not my style as I like to listen to my surroundings and I too believe it is dangerous. (Key being My belief) I do however plan to use them for safety to listen to weather reports and yes, maybe some music or ebooks at night in the privacy of my hammock/shelter, in my own space.

So, rest assured, I will not be one you wanna rub down with bacon grease and chain to a tree!

Slo-go'en
04-03-2016, 16:09

OkeefenokeeJoe

I like having a sound track to my hiking. Next to zip lock bags, MP3 players are one of the best things to happen to thru hiking.

Slo-go'en
04-03-2016, 16:14
But, I do not hike and listen to music.

In that case, having waterproof or resistant headphones isn't a prime concern. Just keep them in a water tight bag when your not using them. Weight and size would be the characteristics I'd be looking at. But if you break down and start listening to music while hiking, just don't wear them in the rain.

RockDoc
04-03-2016, 16:25
Why don't you just stay home and have a nice "virtual reality" hike if natural sounds and surroundings are not to your liking?

admirald7s
04-03-2016, 16:42
Perhaps we could just give good equipment recommendations and let people HTOH?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tuckahoe
04-03-2016, 17:49

OkeefenokeeJoe

How about you hike your own damn hike and not worry about how someone else hikes and enjoys theirs.

left52side
04-03-2016, 17:57
WOW some brutal remarks in this post,
I myself where headphones hiking from time to time,music books podcasts etc...
Helps the miles go by after a long day.
And as quoted by my friend seven that you want to listen to nature fine,tell me that after two months :).
I am sorry I cant recommend any over the ear headphones as I use earbuds when I hike,

Cheyou
04-03-2016, 18:02
Are headphones hiking equipment

Busky2
04-03-2016, 18:28

OkeefenokeeJoe

Talk about kicking a hornets nest, I love music and enjoy some smooth jazz with my lunch while looking out over a vista so bugger off with your chains and bacon grease. And if you have such a weak stomach maybe you are the one that should stay home and hide in your room because the trail tends to messy and smelly sometimes. As for "scared about the trail" I don't go to your church and remember what they say about opinions, what they are like, everyone has one and they tend to stink.

left52side
04-03-2016, 18:44
Are headphones hiking equipment

I would be willing to bet of this question was poled that 80 percent would defiantly say that they carry headphones with them on a hike of any length ...
Headphones are not at all an uncommon thing,
WOW this thread is all I can say is WOW !!!!!!

left52side
04-03-2016, 18:45
http://www.amazon.com/Foldable-Bluetooth-Headphones-Adjustable-Smartphone/dp/B019XP8YN2/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1459723485&sr=8-8&keywords=waterproof+over+the+ear+headphones

Here was just a quick search I did on amazon.
Im sure you can find better ones but that was just a quick search.

simon
04-03-2016, 18:46
Hike your own hike is a wonderful thing. Reason I don't listen while I hike is twice rattlesnakes warned my by hissing and rattling. Not sure I wouldn't have stepped on them had I not heard them.

Cheyou
04-03-2016, 19:11
I would be willing to bet of this question was poled that 80 percent would defiantly say that they carry headphones with them on a hike of any length ...
Headphones are not at all an uncommon thing,
WOW this thread is all I can say is WOW !!!!!!

take a deep breath and relax . I would ask that question on an audio forum. He or she may get better advice .

left52side
04-03-2016, 19:17
take a deep breath and relax . I would ask that question on an audio forum. He or she may get better advice .

LMAO some folks are just so darned funny round here :)

Kaptainkriz
04-03-2016, 19:21
The headphone crowd hangs here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newposts

LMAO some folks are just so darned funny round here :)

Water Rat
04-03-2016, 19:36
http://www.amazon.com/Foldable-Bluetooth-Headphones-Adjustable-Smartphone/dp/B019XP8YN2/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1459723485&sr=8-8&keywords=waterproof+over+the+ear+headphones

Here was just a quick search I did on amazon.
Im sure you can find better ones but that was just a quick search.

Actually, I found this post to be really helpful. In a different color, something like this would be useful to me when mowing my lawn. I had thought about it toward the end of last fall, but had forgotten to look for some headphones over the winter. Thanks for pointing me in this direction.

orthofingers
04-03-2016, 20:09
[QUOTE=jimyjam;2056513]Any suggestions that do not include using earbuds are welcome and appreciated.

I know you said do not suggest earbuds but I just had to mention this story.

A couple of years ago at Christmastime, my mother-in-law asked me what I'd like for a christmas present and I said a pair of earbuds. That same week, I was in Staples and they had a pair of Skull Candy earbuds on sale for $12 or $15 (can't remember which), so I bought them. They sounded good and were pretty comfortable when I used them at night in bed using my iPad. (Much more comfortable, in fact, than the ones that came with the iPad.)
Well, you guessed it. My mother-in-law gave me a pair of much fancier, much more expensive ones that had multiple sized foam or rubber inserts presumably for different sized ear canals.
i wanted to like the ones she gave me but most of the choices for the rubber inserts were just not comfortable for me. I finally found one of the sizes that were ok but I still like the Skull Candy ones better. I can wear those for hours at a time comfortably.
My point is that all earbuds' comfort level is not the same. If I hadn't bought the cheap ones I probably would have never been really comfortable wearing them for extended periods of time.

Water Rat
04-03-2016, 22:51
Skullcandy might offer the closest to what you are looking for. Many of their customers are skateboarders, snowboarders, and people who are generally moving and doing things while listening to their tunes.

Are you looking for more of a headphone that sits on top of the ear, or completely encloses the ear, or is that not really an issue as long as it isn't in your ear?

This article rates some of the best wireless headphones for 2016. What about the Jabra Move? That seems like it might be along the lines of what you are looking for. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406182,00.asp

Tipi Walter
04-04-2016, 09:00
I've been thru a dozen headphones over the years (for my little radio) and none of them last longer than about a year. They are disposable items. You just hope they don't die when you're out on a trip. Headphones are mandatory for long roadwalks as pumped in music blocks hateful traffic and motorcycle noise.

My dog preferred Sony, btw---

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2010/16-Days-with-Wisenber-and/i-dCnwHSW/0/L/TRIP%20112%20151-L.jpg

Stink Bug
04-04-2016, 09:26
While I love listening to nature as much as the next hiker, sometimes it's nice to break up the tedium of a thru-hike with audiobooks (they don't call it the green tunnel for nothing). Sometimes I like the moral boost that some good tunes can bring, especially right before a decent uphill section. As for being unsafe, I never listen above a volume where I'm unable to hear other's conversation and I ALWAYS take my earbuds out when I meet others on the trail - that's just common courtesy!

WILLIAM HAYES
04-08-2016, 17:43
Use them at night have a radiio function with my mp3 player helps me zone out and sleep seldom use them when hiking

Traveler
04-09-2016, 10:14
After being stuck about a quarter mile downwind of some clown with a teeny bear bell that just about drove me nuts, earbuds are a part of the package for me. I put them on when in proximity to traffic and near people who don't seem to understand their voices carry on wind further than they would indoors. They can be a useful tool, and frankly rather pleasant to have at times.

I did find the bit of fond childhood memories and how families bond using bacon grease, chains, and trees was interesting, but not that appropriate for this forum.

Tipi Walter
04-09-2016, 10:34
After being stuck about a quarter mile downwind of some clown with a teeny bear bell that just about drove me nuts, earbuds are a part of the package for me. I put them on when in proximity to traffic and near people who don't seem to understand their voices carry on wind further than they would indoors. They can be a useful tool, and frankly rather pleasant to have at times.

I was camping on Wilburn Ridge in the Mt Rogers area a couple years ago and heard a couple guys go by on the AT using bear bells and it drove me nuts. I only hoped a bear would've been so pissed by the bells that he'd rip them off and destroy their gear.:)

And often I am camping in the Southeast mountains and under a constant jet flight traffic noise-pattern where headphones come in very handy just to maintain sanity.

Rex Clifton
08-27-2016, 19:50
I have Bose quiet comforts and they such.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk