PDA

View Full Version : Dulles to Harpers Ferry

poopsy
04-03-2016, 14:12
Hi,

Like a number of other people I am trying to get to Harpers Ferry for the Flip-Flop weekend. Unfortunately, to get from Dulles airport to Harpers Ferry on the afternoon of April 15 will take 5 hours by public transit. It's just 40 miles, seems excessive...

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Right now I'm thinking of just calling Uber.

Thanks in advance,

poopsy

Cheyou
04-03-2016, 15:03
I think DCA is the best airport to use to get to H.F.

Cheyou
04-03-2016, 15:11
https://mta.maryland.gov/sites/default/files/Brunswick_Jan2013.pdf

Slo-go'en
04-03-2016, 15:53
There are only two trains to get from DC to HF and they both leave in the afternoon, so how long you have to wait depends on when the flight arrives.

I have up to an 9 hour wait for the HF train. I'm coming up from Florida and the only way they could make sure I made the 4:05 train to HF was to get me to DC at 7:07 AM, if it arrives anywhere near schedual. If you get to DC with time to kill, go for a walk and visit some of the memorials or gardens near the train station.

johnnybgood
04-03-2016, 17:12
No morning trains going between HF and D.C. which might not be a concern if you're plane touches down in the afternoon hours.
If your plane hits the tarmac in the morning then ask airport concierge services for help with ground travel options. Uber drivers are certainly one such option . Another is calling Tea Horse B&B in Harpers Ferry for shuttle services into HF. They may even have reasonable rates for shuttle services if you need a place to stay the night under their roof.
There's nothing wrong with flying into IAD, besides it is not far by car so a shuttle shouldn't be that expensive.

Cheyou
04-03-2016, 17:46
Thanks I'll b on the train to HF tomorrow .

displacedbeatnik
04-04-2016, 07:50
Have you thought about hiking into Harpers Ferry (after taking the Uber)? VA 7 to VA 9 is how I get to a nice trailhead at Keys Gap not that far from Harpers Ferry.

Odd Man Out
04-04-2016, 12:59
Flying to BWI is another good option if it gets you better flight choices. It's also a major hub for Southwest. There are frequent trains and busses to DC. If your train/bus stops at Greenbelt, you can walk to the REI and finish your trip by Metro.

Also if you have a long layover, you can go see monuments, etc.. but most buildings (museums) won't let you bring in a pack. An option is to go in the west door of the national gallery of art west building. They have free bag check for people going in to see the art. You will need to un pack everything for the security check, but the guards were ok with it. If you went to see some other museums while leaving you bag at the art gallery, they would not know.

Also the Air and Space museum has an annex by Dulles. But you have to take a bus or cab (a bit far to walk). The have self severe lockers. Some are big enough to stash a pack.

Odd Man Out
04-04-2016, 13:02
One other thing. If going to the NGA, you have to see Van Eyk's annunciation and the Da Vinci.

displacedbeatnik
04-04-2016, 23:27
Flying to BWI is another good option if it gets you better flight choices. It's also a major hub for Southwest. There are frequent trains and busses to DC. If your train/bus stops at Greenbelt, you can walk to the REI and finish your trip by Metro.

If you take the B30 bus from BWI airport, you're guaranteed to stop at Greenbelt as that's its terminus. Also, that's my home REI. :)

Odd Man Out
04-04-2016, 23:56
If you take the B30 bus from BWI airport, you're guaranteed to stop at Greenbelt as that's its terminus. Also, that's my home REI. :)

My first job was back in 1976 working at a pizza place across the street from where the REI is, but there was no REI back then and the pizza place is not there now. Grew up in Beltsville.

rafe
04-05-2016, 08:16
Also the Air and Space museum has an annex by Dulles. But you have to take a bus or cab (a bit far to walk). The have self severe lockers. Some are big enough to stash a pack.

Thatt's the Udvar-Hazy National Air and Space Museum. SR-71, a space shuttle, Enola Gay. The real thing(s). Absolutely awesome.

Odd Man Out
04-05-2016, 11:56
Thatt's the Udvar-Hazy National Air and Space Museum. SR-71, a space shuttle, Enola Gay. The real thing(s). Absolutely awesome.

Yup - Stopped there en route to my last AT hike. I grew up in the DC area and was at the downtown A&S Museum the day it opened, but didn't get to this facility until recently.

poopsy
04-05-2016, 22:06
Hi,

This has become like a trip advisor thread! Since my initial inquiry you have a lot of suggestions about things to do while I try to get to Harpers Ferry. Unfortunately, it's not gonna be this time. Maybe on the flop-side when I'm coming back through. I'll keep it in mind.

thanks, poopsy

rafe
04-05-2016, 22:41
Hi,

This has become like a trip advisor thread! Since my initial inquiry you have a lot of suggestions about things to do while I try to get to Harpers Ferry. Unfortunately, it's not gonna be this time. Maybe on the flop-side when I'm coming back through. I'll keep it in mind.

thanks, poopsy

"HalfApp TrailAngels" perhaps... https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010038333918&fref=ts