PDA

View Full Version : State park showers...yeh or ney

naturlred
04-03-2016, 17:52
I am planning to hike the Superior Hiking Trail in the upcoming months and was wondering if any hikers use state park showers/facilities if they happen to be hiking through or near any state parks.
This would be awful convenient for a shower every once in awhile.

Busky2
04-03-2016, 18:12
Shower wherever and whenever you can. No need to stink more than you have to. Plus clean grit free skin tends to chafe less so maybe your pits and crotch areas will thank you.

map man
04-03-2016, 18:31
The showers in the state parks along the trail are supposed to be for paying guests only (and unfortunately you couldn't pay for just a shower back in 2006 to 2008 -- I don't know what the policy is now). I know when I hiked 200 miles of the trail in 2007 I reserved tent sites in the parks three or four times over my two weeks of hiking for this reason -- so I could get a shower. They were pretty cheap if I recall correctly. You could probably walk up to the park and get a tent site without an advanced reservation during the week but they might be full up on weekends if you don't reserve in advance.

I know some just stop in and take a shower without paying for a stay in the park -- park staff have better things to do than try to catch people doing this -- but the honorable thing to do is pay if you are planning to shower.

Sandy of PA
04-03-2016, 19:39
I have used coin-operated showers in State parks but would not just use one for campers without paying for a site. Theft of services is a crime.

jefals
04-03-2016, 20:08
I camped at Moreno campground (PCT) last November, and was really looking forward to that shower in the morning. And the morning came. Just the walk to the showers is an ordeal. A far cry from sliding out of your warm bed and jumping in your shower at home. I got my bottle of soap, slipped on my flipflops, took that long, cold walk to the showers -- shoes picking up tons of those ghost thorn things along the way.
Stripped down, got under the water (cold), got all wet, then started to soap up - and that's when it hit me. I had grabbed the sunscreen instead of the soap!

archie
04-03-2016, 23:09
Ditto to map mans post. On my SHT I did not use state park showers because I don't like their policy. I arrived at one park and wanted a shower. The campground was full. The staff told me even if I wanted to pay full price for a campsite, 23.00, I still couldn't take a shower since the sites were full. Stupid MN. Also, some of the parks showers are not as convenient as it would seem. They are a good bit away from the trail.

I just showered at my resupply points, it was much easier for me.

Have fun it is a great trail

dudeijuststarted
04-03-2016, 23:42
all ordinary awesome experiences are greatly enhanced whilst hiking. showers are not excluded.

Another Kevin
04-04-2016, 00:42
I'm glad that the last few times I was through a state campground, it was in NY. They sell day passes. The one I stopped at last summer, the pass was a $8 parking fee for a car, or $2 for a solo hiker to use the campground facilities, including the swimming beach and the bathhouse. It was nice to get clean.

Dogwood
04-04-2016, 00:45
It's the WATER ABUNDANT SHT usually never more than 15 +- miles from the largest body of freshwater by surface area in the world with a good many lakes, streams, and good size rivers emptying into it that cross the SHT. One passes water sources probably every day on a SHT thru-hike and many shweet waterfalls less often. I did two yrs ago in the fall. And, the people and SP system of Minnesota are absolutely great when you communicate what you're doing and POLITELY, without being demanding or having a sense of entitlement, inquire about need for a shower. Encountered few problems washing up away from streams/lakes/waterfalls, accessing a SP CG shower, resort shower(you pass through or very near several), or in town hotel/CG/Hostel shower under non slim shady conditions. No need to steal a shower on a SHT hike if you take along a wipe down rag and ASK NICELY or work your shower obtaining mojo with people at SP CGs and elsewhere. Just don't be a jag off and things work out more often. With an opening line like, "hello, my name is Naturl Red, that's my trail namer, my real name is Karen, I'm from nearby Wisconsin. I'm thru-hiking the SHT. I sure am dirty could need a shower", while flashing a smile you should be in a shower more often than not, especially if you have naturally red hair. :D C 'mon, easy if you have an ounce of shower mojo NaturlRed!

In my assessment people of the western Lake Superior area, Duluth area on up north into Canada, and some in the northwest Wisconsin vicinity, know about and love there Superior Hiking Trail similar to the Vermont outdoorsy crowd who know and support their beloved Long Trail. In short, my kind of outdoorsy people. Easy to make a connection with when some respect and sincerity is displayed!

Heck, I even had one RVer couple visiting from Michigan buy me a super nice fish dinner in Grand Marais(CG here too that let me take a shower not even taking the $5 I offered for it, AGAIN NOT to be relied upon as a definite but worth trying!) and let me take a shower in the RV. Great couple. Another MN man from Czeslovakia gave me a ride letting me stay at his house and take a shower who would't accept any money I offered. All that, and many more niceties came my way on the Superior Hiking Tr and I didn't even seek out SHT Trail Angels/Supporters at the Two Harbors SHT HDQTRS which you could also do to inquire about showers.

Get the SHT Guidebook. It's helpful locating what amenities are located where in what SPs. Don't assume you're going to always pass right by the Shower House in SPs. Sometimes, (Often?) getting to the SP showers requires walking towards the lake sometimes miles away from the SHT proper but on nice scenic side trails to often even other awesome scenery lakeside!

LIhikers
04-04-2016, 20:13
If the park has a swimming pool there may be a shower in the changing room. Pay to use the pool and use the shower in the changing room. It may be cheaper than paying for a tent site for the night and you may get to the park before you are ready to stop hiking for the day.

lonehiker
04-04-2016, 20:31
Same as a post earlier, I simply showered at my re-supply points in Grand Marais (the Mangy Moose was perhaps the cleanest independent motel I've ever stayed at) and a small town near Finland. It's been awhile but I don't remember the campgrounds being very convenient. At least for my taste.