PDA

View Full Version : Which wool t shirt from REI?

saltysack
04-03-2016, 18:48
After hearing all the rave about wool t shirts I though may as well use some of my divided and the 20% off expires tomorrow. It seems ice breaker are not 100% merino now and not the same quality? Any input on what to buy as skin layer short sleeve...I'm like my capilene but curious about wool as I get hot easily while on the go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

egilbe
04-03-2016, 19:04
Every icebreaker wool t-shirt I saw at REI was 100% wool. What are you looking at?

bigcranky
04-03-2016, 19:23
Most of my shirts are the Smartwool NTS Micro 150. I haver several short and long sleeved. My long johns and boxer brief (used for travel, not hiking) are Icebreaker, also 150-wt. REI sells the Smartwool.

saltysack
04-03-2016, 19:46
Every icebreaker wool t-shirt I saw at REI was 100% wool. What are you looking at?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160403/19e9f1ebc794ae7f79f1324fba99a7c8.jpg

Current reviews say not 100% wool

Water Rat
04-03-2016, 19:49
I love my Icebreaker t-shirts and am loving my recently purchased Icebreaker long underwear. My Icebreaker t-shirts are 100% Merino. My Icebreaker Zone Long Sleeve Crewe is 96% Merino wool, 4% LYCRAŽ, Mesh Panels: 120 gm, 85% Merino wool, 14% Nylon, 1% LYCRAŽ corespun.

I am one who gets warm really fast, so I need something that keeps me warm when I need it, but doesn't trap heat. The Icebreaker pieces I have wick, they don't hold odor, they dry fast, and are all extremely comfortable.

I wish I could speak to the Smartwool shirts, but I have only tried their socks.

Water Rat
04-03-2016, 19:53
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160403/19e9f1ebc794ae7f79f1324fba99a7c8.jpg

Current reviews say not 100% wool

Yeah, that one is 87% Merino wool, 13% Nylon corespun

Water Rat
04-03-2016, 19:58
The Aero Crewe is only 10% Nylon, 90% Merino. They aren't fantastic looking, but they do the job, are less expensive than the other styles, and are pretty comfortable. I have one of these shirts.

TwoSpirits
04-03-2016, 20:24
I have a couple of the Icebreaker Oasis long underwear pieces, and really fell in love with them. I too heard all the raves about merino t-shirts and looked at several of the Icebreaker versions along with a few other brands. I settled on an the Ibex OD Heather tee (found on Amazon), and I couldn't be happier. 100% merino, excellent fit. Seems virtually stink-proof, too. All the buzz about merino t-shirts seems to be right on.

Feral Bill
04-03-2016, 20:43
Having a small percentage of non-merino fiber is no crime. It's probably there for durability or some other good reason. Labeling items with 10-15% merino as merino, as I have seen in socks, is plain fraud.

RangerZ
04-03-2016, 21:06
Most of my shirts are the Smartwool NTS Micro 150. I haver several short and long sleeved. My long johns and boxer brief (used for travel, not hiking) are Icebreaker, also 150-wt. REI sells the Smartwool.

Icebreaker 150 long shirts and johns, Smartwool 150 short shirts and shorts. I've moved away from my UnderArmor cold weather base layers. Achieved a weight savings, too.

Deacon
04-04-2016, 05:10
I think all the micro-tee brands are good, Icebreaker, Smartwool- I am however partial to the Ibex Heather Tee for the way it's cut. It's slightly tighter around the stomach, and a little longer.

peakbagger
04-04-2016, 06:26
Icebreaker 100% Merino wool shirts have a lot of good properties but durability is not a strong suit. Its quite noticeable that standard poly pro last longer. If they can blend in bit of synthetic to get longer life that's great.

soilman
04-04-2016, 09:58
Icebreaker 100% Merino wool shirts have a lot of good properties but durability is not a strong suit. Its quite noticeable that standard poly pro last longer. If they can blend in bit of synthetic to get longer life that's great.
My experience is only with Icebreaker and agree that they are not very durable. I have a long sleeve Tech lite and it developed small holes the first time I wore it on a day hike ascent of Katahdin. I was disappointed after spending that much money on a t shirt.

RangerZ
04-04-2016, 12:02
My experience is only with Icebreaker and agree that they are not very durable. I have a long sleeve Tech lite and it developed small holes the first time I wore it on a day hike ascent of Katahdin. I was disappointed after spending that much money on a t shirt.

My SmartWool short sleeve shirt developed holes also, but it was from all of the jaggers on the Tuscarora Trail. I developed some holes too. :banana

Last Call
04-04-2016, 12:18
Stoic is a good brand, I like the thumb-holes in their 100% Merino wool long-sleeve shirts.

squeezebox
04-04-2016, 13:17
Sierra Trading Post might be worth a look.

cmoulder
04-04-2016, 13:23
I've toyed with the idea of trying one of these merino Ts but the cost, the reports of lack of durability, and slow drying times have convinced me to stick with polyester. I have some EMS Techwick Ts and 1/4 zip LS shirts that are more than 20 years old that I still use and they work fine. Wow, $75 for a t-shirt?? :o

Water Rat
04-04-2016, 14:20
I've toyed with the idea of trying one of these merino Ts but the cost, the reports of lack of durability, and slow drying times have convinced me to stick with polyester. I have some EMS Techwick Ts and 1/4 zip LS shirts that are more than 20 years old that I still use and they work fine. Wow, $75 for a t-shirt?? :o

I was in the same boat, but then I managed to find some Icebreaker items on sale at off-season prices. Past season colors and styles are a great way to get the Merino at a reduced price. That helps ease some of the pain. :)

I have yet to experience any durability issues with my Merino (other than socks!), but it is possible I might not be as hard on my clothes (or other gear) as some. Maybe I have just been lucky so far? I do take precautions with my Merino clothing (it is expensive), but I don't think I really go out of my way to do anything special because of potential durability issues.

+1 on the thumb holes! My Icebreaker Zone top has the thumb holes and I have noticed that to be a nice feature to have for late evenings and early mornings when it isn't quite cold enough for gloves, but still a bit on the chilly side.

bigcranky
04-04-2016, 14:56
I buy the merino stuff on sale -- yeah, it's still way more expensive than synthetics. But I just can't wear synthetics, after an hour on the trail they stink so bad you'd think a herd of thruhikers who haven't bathed in weeks was coming through, but it's just me. I can wear the same merino wool top for a week, 24/7, and it doesn't stink at all. Plus it's just more comfortable to wear, IMO.

peakbagger
04-04-2016, 16:12
When I get a hole in mine I dab on a bit of barge cement/goop on the hole. It keeps it from unraveling and frequently if I catch it quick enough I can glue it shut.

cmoulder
04-04-2016, 19:59
I buy the merino stuff on sale -- yeah, it's still way more expensive than synthetics. But I just can't wear synthetics, after an hour on the trail they stink so bad you'd think a herd of thruhikers who haven't bathed in weeks was coming through, but it's just me. I can wear the same merino wool top for a week, 24/7, and it doesn't stink at all. Plus it's just more comfortable to wear, IMO.

Definitely body chemistry is different. I've read that some people have a serious problem with polyester stink that just won't go away even after laundering. I'll just count myself lucky that it's not an issue for me and continue using my cheap polyester stuff! :)

Water Rat
04-04-2016, 20:21
When I get a hole in mine I dab on a bit of barge cement/goop on the hole. It keeps it from unraveling and frequently if I catch it quick enough I can glue it shut.

Is this something that can be purchased in small quantities?

saltysack
04-04-2016, 20:49
At $64....for a T shirt!!!! It better be good! It's on backorder...try it and use the good old rei return policy if doesn't work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TKE402
04-05-2016, 07:21
Definitely body chemistry is different. I've read that some people have a serious problem with polyester stink that just won't go away even after laundering. I'll just count myself lucky that it's not an issue for me and continue using my cheap polyester stuff! :)
I'm one of those. Once a drop of sweat hits the clothing it starts stinking for me and the smell doesn't wash out. Perhaps it's the brand or perhaps there isn't enough anti stink chemicals in it. I rather use a natural product. I think a blend of natural with a small percentage of synthetic for durability is perfect.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Mtsman
04-05-2016, 17:54
I'm one of those. Once a drop of sweat hits the clothing it starts stinking for me and the smell doesn't wash out. Perhaps it's the brand or perhaps there isn't enough anti stink chemicals in it. I rather use a natural product. I think a blend of natural with a small percentage of synthetic for durability is perfect.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
I also stink BAD in synthetics but I am disappointed with the wear and tear on the 100% merino stuff. I am only 250+ miles in on my thru hike and every 100% merino thing I have ( pants, L shirt, and t - shirt ) have one quarter size hole or more in them already.

I will wear them until they get embarrassing to wear any more but after that I think I am going to try a small blend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk