PDA

View Full Version : Hanging food bag

Peter Sz
04-03-2016, 22:13
Can you please tell me what cord, rope size is best for hanging food?

Thanks

Traillium
04-03-2016, 22:20
I use 50' of very thin ZingIt from DutchWare.

Bruce Traillium

Feral Bill
04-03-2016, 22:27
I just got some PMI 2mm accessory cord from REI. It looks like it will do the job, and it's not costly.

nsherry61
04-04-2016, 00:28
Most people just use 50 feet of paracord. It's cheap and works just fine. With a little searching on this site you'll find many long debates on all kinds of other options, many of which also work well.

Another Kevin
04-04-2016, 01:16
I have no idea what's best. 50 feet of 550 cord from XYZ-Mart is good enough. I usually don't worry about what's best. Good enough suits me fine.

daddytwosticks
04-04-2016, 07:15
Got some reflective cord from WalMart. Thinner and lighter than paracord. Cheap too. Cut it down to about 35 - 40 feet for bear bagging. I bring the rest as laundry drying cord. Nothing very sophisticated, but does the job. :)

Spiffyguy
04-04-2016, 17:26
I use the Z line that came with my Zpacks food blast bag. Works well.

dudeijuststarted
04-04-2016, 17:27
strip the core out of paracord...

Hangfire
04-05-2016, 02:04
I used just regular para cord in a 50' length.

Water Rat
04-05-2016, 07:25
Got some reflective cord from WalMart. Thinner and lighter than paracord. Cheap too. Cut it down to about 35 - 40 feet for bear bagging. I bring the rest as laundry drying cord. Nothing very sophisticated, but does the job. :)

I currently use paracord (simple...does the job...just haven't been motivated to replace it) and it can be a pain to locate in the dark. I like the idea of reflective cord for when I need to hang my food bag. It might be worth a look to check this option out. Were you able to find this reflective cord in the camping section, or do they classify this as more of a home improvement kind of deal?

Another Kevin
04-05-2016, 11:07
I currently use paracord (simple...does the job...just haven't been motivated to replace it) and it can be a pain to locate in the dark. I like the idea of reflective cord for when I need to hang my food bag. It might be worth a look to check this option out. Were you able to find this reflective cord in the camping section, or do they classify this as more of a home improvement kind of deal?

I don't know, I've always ordered the reflective cord online. Ripstop by the Roll and Lawson Equipment both carry it. I've never spotted it in my local big box stores, and I really don't want to pay outfitter prices for the stuff.[1]

And that said, I've never used it for a bearbag line. Ordinary 550 cord, or even 325 cord, works fine for me. My bearbag is one that JimmyJam made for me, and it has patches of a reflective material sewn in. Before I had that, I resorted to tying a bandana in the line, which also picks up a headlamp beam pretty well if you use a light-coloured one. Sometimes I even got good enough weather that it dried my bandana.

[1] I'm more than happy to pay outfitter prices when the outfitter actually helps me - fitting a pack or boots, adjusting bindings on traction gear, that sort of thing. I'm not going to stiff them by having them spend the time and then buying online. I'm also happy to pay when I'm in a hurry to get something. But when the only service that they give is ringing up a purchase that I picked off a rack, it irks me.

RangerZ
04-05-2016, 12:09
I use regular suspension line. I used to work with people who bought it in 1000' rolls and I have plenty of surplus. I do use a yellow food bag for daytime visibility and have put reflective tape around the bottom for nighttime visibility.

MtDoraDave
04-05-2016, 20:29
I used to use 550 cord, but recently switched to something stronger and lighter. New age of paracord called Technora 950. You can find it online... most places sell 40' sections of it, but I wanted 50' - so I found a 150' spool available for much less $ per foot, and have given some away to friends.

Water Rat
04-05-2016, 22:57
I don't know, I've always ordered the reflective cord online. Ripstop by the Roll and Lawson Equipment both carry it. I've never spotted it in my local big box stores, and I really don't want to pay outfitter prices for the stuff.[1]

And that said, I've never used it for a bearbag line. Ordinary 550 cord, or even 325 cord, works fine for me. My bearbag is one that JimmyJam made for me, and it has patches of a reflective material sewn in. Before I had that, I resorted to tying a bandana in the line, which also picks up a headlamp beam pretty well if you use a light-coloured one. Sometimes I even got good enough weather that it dried my bandana.

[1] I'm more than happy to pay outfitter prices when the outfitter actually helps me - fitting a pack or boots, adjusting bindings on traction gear, that sort of thing. I'm not going to stiff them by having them spend the time and then buying online. I'm also happy to pay when I'm in a hurry to get something. But when the only service that they give is ringing up a purchase that I picked off a rack, it irks me.

Ah - Thanks! You have given me a great idea with the reflective patch option. My cord works fine as is... My eyes - not as good as they used to. :D But I do like the idea of reflective patches. I might stick a couple on the food bag and attach one on my cord.