PDA

View Full Version : Flip flop starting around July 1st in Harper Ferry

readl
04-04-2016, 09:44
Hi,

I had to delay the beginning of my thru hike from May 1st to around July 1st. I was supposed to do it nobo from Springer but now I'm thinking about a flip flop from Harper Ferry and I am wondering if it's to late to start.

Had anyone started or will start a flip flop that late ? I'm also looking for a Partner who is doing the top half or a flip flop to start with.

Thank you,

Slo-go'en
04-04-2016, 11:06
It's never too late to start :)

You might want to start a little farther north then HF though, like at the Delaware River Gap. PA is kind of rough in July due to the heat and humidity. NJ/NY isn't a whole lot better, but the terrain is less ankle twisty and you pass a lot of ponds you can cool down in. There are also still a reasonable number of thru hikers in that area, but it might be hard to keep up with them for a while.

dudeijuststarted
04-04-2016, 11:38
It's never too late to start :)

You might want to start a little farther north then HF though, like at the Delaware River Gap. PA is kind of rough in July due to the heat and humidity. NJ/NY isn't a whole lot better, but the terrain is less ankle twisty and you pass a lot of ponds you can cool down in. There are also still a reasonable number of thru hikers in that area, but it might be hard to keep up with them for a while.

This is a great idea. Maybe even NOBO from Williamstown, MA to Katahdin, then flip south from Williamstown (there's a rental car dropoff there,) beating the heat and smashing through the mid-atlantic in the fall. You'd be hiking with the SOBOs...

readl
04-04-2016, 13:22
Thank you for your advices but I kinda want to stick with the Harper Ferry start.... I would get to Katahdin at the end of september and then I would decide if I'm in for the second half !

Jeff
04-04-2016, 16:26
Plenty of hikers coming thru HF July 1...but you leave little room for error, like injury or an emergency trip back home.

egilbe
04-04-2016, 18:16
July 1st sounds like a Sobo Start date, to me.

Teddy
04-04-2016, 22:07
We will be in HF about there weeks earlier flip flopping.