PDA

View Full Version : What's the itch factor for various wool brands?

Puddlefish
04-04-2016, 10:09
I bought a budget lightweight merino wool shirt, and some other brand of budget lightweight merino wool bottoms, for sleeping. The shirt is great, but I just tested out the bottoms while sleeping last night and woke up to a world of itching and irritated skin. Of course I tore off the tags, and have no recollection of what brands I bought.

Anyone who's had a better or worse experience with with Smartwool vs. Icebreaker vs. some other common brand? Should I just go with a synthetic and put up with the smell?

Traveling on Wednesday, hiking Thursday. This is what I get for leaving off testing until the last minute.

mattjv89
04-04-2016, 10:23
Have you washed them yet? I find all wool garments itchy regardless of brand till the first washing which takes care of it. I've never had it go as far as a visible skin irritation though so maybe we have different sensitivities.

Puddlefish
04-04-2016, 10:25
Have you washed them yet? I find all wool garments itchy regardless of brand till the first washing which takes care of it. I've never had it go as far as a visible skin irritation though so maybe we have different sensitivities.

Washed once.

Water Rat
04-04-2016, 10:43
I had that issue with the new LL Bean Ultralight 150 long underwear - even after washing. I didn't try them again to know if it was that line that caused the rash and itching, or if it was just that particular set. LL Bean is usually pretty good about the comfort, but this is a new line for them so hard to say.

If I had to guess, I would say the budget companies are not paying the $ for the softest of wool. As there are many layers/fibers to wool, they might have gone with something that was more second quality and more itchy. Or it could do with skin sensitivity...

I ended up switching over to Icebreaker and that has made a world of difference in terms of comfort. No itchies - even off the rack. I can't speak to Smartwool shirts, but I would imagine they are about the same.

Puddlefish
04-04-2016, 11:14
Thanks much, LL Bean is one of my local options, so I'll avoid their UL 150 for now and see what I can find with the Icebreaker.

RangerZ
04-04-2016, 12:04
I agree with washing them at least once. I didn't have any problems with SmartWool or Icebreaker, but then I'm pretty thick skinned.

firesign
04-04-2016, 13:05
I bought a budget lightweight merino wool shirt, and some other brand of budget lightweight merino wool bottoms, for sleeping. The shirt is great, but I just tested out the bottoms while sleeping last night and woke up to a world of itching and irritated skin. Of course I tore off the tags, and have no recollection of what brands I bought.

Anyone who's had a better or worse experience with with Smartwool vs. Icebreaker vs. some other common brand? Should I just go with a synthetic and put up with the smell?

Traveling on Wednesday, hiking Thursday. This is what I get for leaving off testing until the last minute.

RAB meco 120 long sleeve - 0% itchiness

A very nice base layer even on summer days, minmul funk factor, but not sure if they are available in the US.

nsherry61
04-04-2016, 13:17
Wool itch is hugely personal.

Cheap wool itches me a little, but not enough to be an issue.
Higher end wools are pure silk to me and still cause itching for my wife.
Some of the newer hi-tech acid or bacterial pre-digested fiber type wools are amazingly soft (softer and more expensive than the best merino wool) and these wools don't cause itch on most people, BUT, they still irritate my wife who is allergic to the lanolin, not just sensitive to the wool fibers.

Finally, all synthetics are NOT the same for stink. All of them are stinkier than wool (unless you don't like the smell of wet wool), but some of them are really pretty good, like Patagonia's Capaline which I can wear twice or three times as long as cheap, generic synthetics.

Dogwood
04-04-2016, 14:11
Never had any itchiness with slightly loose fitting merino wool shirts and light-mid wt merino wool thermal bottoms made by IBEX, Icebreaker, Minus 33, or Smartwool, all companies who specialize in higher end merino wool outdoor apparel and really nothing else. Have bought most of these at reduced prices. I think of them as worthy investments because they are part of my go to apparel layering in a wide range of conditions. Rarely, do I not have at least one piece in my pack.

This: "If I had to guess, I would say the budget companies are not paying the $ for the softest of wool. As there are many layers/fibers to wool, they might have gone with something that was more second quality and more itchy. Or it could do with skin sensitivity..." I'll add, or there are shortcuts in the construction and design process or in creating finished product. This is definitely also my contention with budget down products flooding U.S. markets. You're not getting the level of down quality one perceives they are for starters.

Balido
04-04-2016, 14:19
The modern wools, especially Merino wools, aren't your grandmothers itchy stuff like days of old. Go to REI and check out SmartWool brand. It comes in various thicknesses for your particular use. It wicks away moisture and stink while being comfortable all day and night long. Good luck

Dogwood
04-04-2016, 14:22
You should also look into various Merino Blends. I have two from Patagonia that I like that I feel bridge the gap in characteristics between 100% merino and some of the polyester synthetic shirts. The notion that it's a duality of choice between merino vs synthetic is passe.

As Nsherry said all synthetics are not created equal as far as stink. I'm having good anti stink performance so far with also Patagonia's newer Capilene Baselayer shirts. I've long ago gotten over the baselayer idea in that base layers don't always need to be next to skin layers.

Dogwood
04-04-2016, 14:25
I get ribbed by some of my family about my extensive pricey shirt and sock arsenal. While they are uncomfortable maybe sweating in their gear I'm usually sitting comfortable though.

rocketsocks
04-04-2016, 16:15
Stick me in a Wool sweater and I'll tell ya who killed JFK and started the Chicago Fire...no water boarding nessasary.

QiWiz
04-07-2016, 16:10
I find all of the Icebreaker merino garments to be very comfortable, even boxers to hike in the winter. If you are allergic to wool, however, you won't like any wool garments.

Stevep311
04-13-2016, 12:12

Try Coldpruf bottoms from Amazon. They have a dual layer design, one layer is is poly and the other is merino. They are great and don't cost that much.

Venchka
04-13-2016, 22:30
Thanks much, LL Bean is one of my local options, so I'll avoid their UL 150 for now and see what I can find with the Icebreaker.

Bean's midweight 250 Cresta zip-t top and bottoms were itch free out of the box and after washing. I literally can't tell I have them on. I wear Helly-Hansen synthetic or silk when its too warm for wool. Both layers when its cold.

Wayne

poolskaterx
04-14-2016, 18:31
I uses silks and synthetics up until about 1.5 year ago and then I tried the smartwool; I will never go back! I had no idea it could be this good. No itch for me, feels so dry and perfect temp with no gnarly smell like the poly.

saltysack
04-20-2016, 21:19
Just got my first icebreaker $70 T shirt!!! Seems nuts but is very comfy and doesn't hold odors! I cross train daily...usually I reek after 30 minutes but with this I can actually let dry and wear again without washing! No stench! Last week I wore a rei synthetic shirt on my fht hike it stunk badly after day one.....looking forward to using this wool shirt! Will buy more if can find on sale! Icebreaker tech t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk