PDA

View Full Version : MATC to build new shelter/lean-to

stillatit
04-04-2016, 17:31
The Main Appalachian Trail Club, responsible for the Maine section of the AT, is planning on building its first new lean-to (i.e., shelter) in 21 years, along Nahmakanta Stream this summer and autumn. This is in the northern part of the hundred mile wilderness between Potaywadjo Spring Lean-to and Wadleigh Stream Lean-to. No showers here, of course.

For more info see the MATC's winter 2016 newsletter, page 1 right column:

http://www.matc.org/assets/mainetainer-winter-2016-no-permit-lores.pdf

Still-at-it

:sun

WingedMonkey
04-04-2016, 19:10
That 21 year figure seems strange to me (I'm not disputing it).

I thought they had replaced several of the "baseball bat" (I kinda like them) floored shelters since my '95 hike.

Maybe it was just the floors they replaced.

egilbe
04-04-2016, 20:04
It was just the floors they replaced.

Another Kevin
04-04-2016, 20:29
Interesting choice of site. Isn't that right by where White House Landing was?

Water Rat
04-04-2016, 20:49

Nahmakanta Stream is 42 miles from Baxter Peak. White House Landing has apparently reopened and Maher Tote Trail (to get to White House Landing pickup) is at mile 45.7 from Baxter Peak.

I was kind of surprised at the location, but it does also make sense with the number of section hikers and people who come to Maine just to do the 100 Mile. I mean, in addition to thru-hikers.

rafe
04-04-2016, 20:52

The article doesn't say exactly but as I recall there are several miles of flat easy trail between the south end of Nahmakanta Lake and Potaywadjo lean-to. In fact there is an official campsite on that stretch. (Mile 44 from Katahdin.) I stayed there in 2010. WHL is near the south end of that stretch as I recall.

Heliotrope
04-05-2016, 20:28
I haven't looked at the site location but it would make sense to put a lean to at Nahmakanta stream campsite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngryGerman
05-11-2016, 09:44

I'm certain that location will bring more business to WHL if they open again for the 17 and 18 hiking seasons. Advertisement by WOM and obviously by pen via shelter logs would be convenient.
I haven't kept up with the WHL since my last MEGA but from what I understood the MATC was one of the proposed candidates to purchase WHL. How smart is the MATC for putting the shelter there if they do eventually buy that place even ten years from now??? Phil loves his fishing!!! If I could afford that place at this point in my life I'd buy it!!! What a homesteaders paradise!!!
On my thru I used WHL for a short resupply because I refused to carry more then 4 days worth of food at one time through the 100. If they're open on my next thru I will be stopping in again.

Jeff
05-11-2016, 10:05
On my thru I used WHL for a short resupply because I refused to carry more then 4 days worth of food at one time through the 100. If they're open on my next thru I will be stopping in again.

It is very popular now to arrange a food drop in the middle of the HMW. Several hostels in both Monson and Millinocket are offering that service.