PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping pad

skinnbones
04-04-2016, 19:27
Do accordion folding type sleeping pads exist? If so, anybody want to give their 2 cents worth? Thanks.

admirald7s
04-04-2016, 19:57
Thermarest makes the zlite sol. Good for light hikers who sleep on the lie back. Side sleepers will very likely be unhappy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarcasm the elf
04-04-2016, 20:57
Accordian style foam pads? Absolutely. The Thermarest Zrest (might now be called Z Lite) is my go-to pad for warmer weather camping. I've had mine since 2009, I've beaten the heck out of it and it still doest a great job.

left52side
04-04-2016, 21:10
Hi skinnbones (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/52214-skinnbones) as mentioned earlier yes thermarest makes a zlite and zlite sol sleeping pad that are accordion style sleeping pads,I think there R value is 6,I have used mine for about 100 miles or so and I like it alot,I like the ease of folding it up and going,I also cut mine down to fit just above the knees making it under ten ounces in weight.

Sarcasm the elf
04-04-2016, 21:13
Hi skinnbones (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/52214-skinnbones) as mentioned earlier yes thermarest makes a zlite and zlite sol sleeping pad that are accordion style sleeping pads,I think there R value is 6,I have used mine for about 100 miles or so and I like it alot,I like the ease of folding it up and going,I also cut mine down to fit just above the knees making it under ten ounces in weight.

Their R value is much lower than that, 2.2 for the original,
2.6 for the sol. I will use mine until the temps are in the 30's, lower than that and I double it up with an all season inflatable.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/fast-and-light/z-lite/product

skinnbones
04-04-2016, 21:40
Is there a big difference between a rolled pad and folding pad when attached to pack? I'm guessing the folding pad is much wider?

StubbleJumper
04-04-2016, 21:46
I have the Z-rest which I used for 5 years before switching to a NeoAir. The Z-rest is relatively bulky, which means that it takes either a lot of volume inside your pack or that you need to lash it onto the outside of your pack -- I've done both, and I prefer it on the inside. The pad itself is relatively thin, which means that it doesn't offer padding so much as insulation. Those two negatives aside, the great thing about the Z-rest is that it's bomb-proof (short of catching on fire, it really cannot fail in the field) and it's nice to have it as a sit-pad in camp.

So far I have enjoyed the NeoAir better because it is more compact and offers better padding. But I do miss being able to sit on my Z-rest while making and eating supper.

nsherry61
04-04-2016, 21:49
Folded pads packs smaller and don't explode when you untie them. The rolled pads are significantly larger in diameter. The width is whatever the pad width is and is independent of the roll or fold.

I like the z-lite sol pad very much. But, it is not enough padding (none of the foam pads are) to sleep comfortably on your side, night after night, once you get over the age of about 45.

Sarcasm the elf
04-04-2016, 21:51
Is there a big difference between a rolled pad and folding pad when attached to pack? I'm guessing the folding pad is much wider?

The folding pad actually lays flat when you open it up, as opposed to the rolled pads that want to retain their shape. I keep my zrest on the outside of my pack and use it to sit or lay down on almost every time take a long break when I'm hiking, this convenience is one of the reasons I like it so much.

nsherry61
04-04-2016, 21:52
. . . So far I have enjoyed the NeoAir better because it is more compact and offers better padding. But I do miss being able to sit on my Z-rest while making and eating supper.
Use a short NeoAir X-lite pad with a shorted z-rest pad. Then combine them at night with the z-rest under your feet. And, use the z-rest all day as your sit pad. Works great!!

saltysack
04-04-2016, 21:57
Used one for several years before switching to neoair xlite and xtherm...actually just used itrecently for a paddling trip. I still carry a small section of it for a sit pad and it's my pups bed while on trail...I do like the speed of use but lacks comfort if your heavier or older.

skinnbones
04-04-2016, 21:57
Thanks to everybody. I just checked out the Z-Lite and I'm impressed. I sleep on back and all the reviews and from what you are saying is this pad is not for those who enjoy sleeping on their side. The Regular size pad is 72 inches. That's long enough for me. I've read it's kind of bulky. Stubble Jumper> Why do you prefer the pad on the inside of pack?

saltysack
04-04-2016, 21:58
Didn't notice your name....should be perfect![emoji2]

skinnbones
04-04-2016, 22:00
Big price difference between Z-Lite and the Neoair.

nsherry61
04-04-2016, 22:01
. . . I've read it's kind of bulky. . .
Only bulky compared to inflatables. Very lithe compared to any similar thickness foam pad. I like to carry mine on the outside of my pack for quick access as a sit pad, or a lounge pad as the case may be.

skinnbones
04-04-2016, 22:02
Saltysack > Trail name will be Skin for a reason.

saltysack
04-04-2016, 22:04
Yep...why I started with the zlite....

daddytwosticks
04-05-2016, 07:16
Saw a Zrest (in green) for sale at my local Wal Mart. Looks like they still make the original for all you retro hikers. :)

StubbleJumper
04-05-2016, 20:24
Stubble Jumper> Why do you prefer the pad on the inside of pack?

I use a Golite Jam 70 which is a very light and spacious rucksack, but it has no frame (which is one of the reasons why it's light). The Z-rest pad can be unfolded in the centre and used as a frame for the pack. It's actually pretty comfortable as it puts about three inches of foam between your back and the rest of your gear, and the rigid nature of the pad provides a sort of frame.

MtDoraDave
04-05-2016, 20:33
Saw a Zrest (in green) for sale at my local Wal Mart. Looks like they still make the original for all you retro hikers. :)

I saw them for sale in Target. :)

CamelMan
04-05-2016, 21:02
I also use the Thermarest Z-Lite. I haven't camped when it's really cold, but so far I've also noticed that you can start feeling it when it's in the (low) 30s. I usually sleep on my side and I'm fine with it, but I need some sort of pillow more than a soft pad.