PDA

View Full Version : Anyone find the perfect pillow for a stomach or back sleeper?

saltysack
04-04-2016, 22:09
I've tried several inflatable pillows most recently the exped Ul pillow(xl)....still looking just can't get comfy with an air pillow. I don't usually have extra clothes that I can use so really considering a dedicated down pillow...anyone find a worthy Ul solution as not getting good sleep stinks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sheepdog
04-04-2016, 22:13
yep...Its called a hammock

nsherry61
04-04-2016, 22:15
Two pillows I've found to be useful:
1) my 2L Platapus bladder. A bit loud and crinkly, but no extra weight.
2) the Sea-to-Summit Aeros Pillow premium. Not cheap, but way more comfortable that any other air pillow I've found out of every single model that REI sells (about 10). It's one of the few air pillows with a comfortable surface, and excellent shape, and that also doesn't shoot out from under your head when you try and lay on it.

saltysack
04-04-2016, 22:28
Two pillows I've found to be useful:
1) my 2L Platapus bladder. A bit loud and crinkly, but no extra weight.
2) the Sea-to-Summit Aeros Pillow premium. Not cheap, but way more comfortable that any other air pillow I've found out of every single model that REI sells (about 10). It's one of the few air pillows with a comfortable surface, and excellent shape, and that also doesn't shoot out from under your head when you try and lay on it.

Yep tried the platy and I've also used my 2L sawyer bag..put my buff over it for a pillow cover....Loud! Even tried with lil water in it but got nervous about it leaking...given up ! Near a real solution! I'll check out the sea to summit.

Busky2
04-05-2016, 08:39
Tried all kinds of things from stuff sacks, clothes, air shipping pillows, hammocks, and what I found that works best for me is the Sea to Summit Aeros Premium Pillow size regular it weights 2.8oz. about $40.00 or so shop around.

DuneElliot
04-05-2016, 08:55
I'm going to be trying the Thermarest compressible this year. It has good reviews and might be worth a try. I absolutely need a proper, decent pillow to sleep well.

http://amazon.com/Therm-a-Rest-Compressible-Pillow-Denim-Medium/dp/B002PWFSEO?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_6&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER (http://smile.amazon.com/Therm-a-Rest-Compressible-Pillow-Denim-Medium/dp/B002PWFSEO?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_6&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER)

Gambit McCrae
04-05-2016, 09:17
I have given up on finding the perfect pillow setup, my solution is to use my packpack under my pad, and a thermorest large pillow, and enough Jack Daniels that I don't care lol no but seriously the backpack helps a lot...as does the Jack

lonehiker
04-05-2016, 09:18
Klymit pillow X. Under 2 oz. An X design to keep head centered on the pillow. Have only used it for roughly 20 nights. My verdict is still out. But, worth researching.

cmoulder
04-05-2016, 09:19
I'm happy with the Exped UL pillow, medium, which looks very similar to the S2S ultralite. The exped pillow has some little tabs on the ends so that an elastic cord or band can be used to secure the pillow to the air mat. Weighs 2 oz with the elastic strap.

nsherry61
04-05-2016, 10:36
Yep tried the platy . . . Even tried with lil water in it but got nervous about it leaking...given up !
The platy bag is solid. I use it with or without water, depending on weather or not there is any water in it when I go to bed.

But, you've inspired me to try another experiment. The platy bag is loud, and with water in it, it is also cold, so yeah, no duh, you cover it with something to buffer the cold and noise . . . but, what if we put warm water in the platy bag. The platy bags apparently hold boiling hot water without coming apart, so why not use some warm water for a warm for pillow. I'll bet the warm water will reduce the crinkly noise at least a little, and hey, a pre-heated pillow sounds kinda nice.

The platy bladder will never be as comfortable as the Sea-to-Summit Aeros pillow, but if you're going simple and light, what the heck. AND if you are sleeping on your stomach, as I often do, having two pillows, one on either side of your face, is a really nice option (I often use a fleece or puffy jacket for a second pillow if I'm not wearing it). So maybe using a combination of the Aeros pillow and the platy bladder would be a useful option. I'm guessing I probably have used them together like that in the past, although I'm not sure about that.

bogeygaff
04-05-2016, 12:29
This is the best pillow i have used and I've tried them all.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5023-543/mec-base-camp-pillow/?f=10+50130+50665

Mountain Equipment Co-op is our version of REI in Canada.

gbolt
04-05-2016, 19:42
+1 on the S2S Aeros Pillow. It has a little push button for air adjustment that is often overlooked. With a little push, while your head is resting on the other side, you can get very comfortable, very quickly. The other choice to try is a Hammock Gear Down Pillow, light weight and very comfortable from talking and sharing with others that have purchased that pillow.

Deacon
04-06-2016, 09:48
This is the best pillow i have used and I've tried them all.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5023-543/mec-base-camp-pillow/?f=10+50130+50665

Mountain Equipment Co-op is our version of REI in Canada.

This is great for a camper but backpackers are constantly trying to balance weight and comfort, thus a half-pound for this one seems excessive IMHO. Though not as comfortable as a down pillow, I've settled on the Exped UL air pillow at 1.9 oz. different than most, it's convex shaped so your head lays in a depression rather than on a mound.

saltysack
04-06-2016, 10:34
This is great for a camper but backpackers are constantly trying to balance weight and comfort, thus a half-pound for this one seems excessive IMHO. Though not as comfortable as a down pillow, I've settled on the Exped UL air pillow at 1.9 oz. different than most, it's convex shaped so your head lays in a depression rather than on a mound.

Tried the exped.....just can't get comfortable with air pillows..even that one.. Think my last resort is a down pillow w stuff sack from goose feet gear. Was going to try the gfg down over the exped but $100 for a pillow is nuts! Think the down should be best and lightest option under $50....crazy

Odd Man Out
04-06-2016, 11:34
Tried all kinds of things from stuff sacks, clothes, air shipping pillows, hammocks, and what I found that works best for me is the Sea to Summit Aeros Premium Pillow size regular it weights 2.8oz. about $40.00 or so shop around.

I just got one of these, but have yet to use it yet. I know my last pillow option was failing so I'm hoping this will work better. I did find a backpacking store that had the StS Aeros Pillows in stock so I could try them. I was able to compare the Premium vs the Ulitralight side-by-side. They are basically the same, with different fabrics. I liked the premium much better and it seemed to be worth carrying the extra grams. The difference is that the fabric in the Premium version is stretchy and the not so in the UL version. As a result, the UL version gave that "head on a balloon" feeling whereas the Premium gave more of that "head on a pillow" feeling.

gbolt
04-06-2016, 18:54
I just got one of these, but have yet to use it yet. I know my last pillow option was failing so I'm hoping this will work better. I did find a backpacking store that had the StS Aeros Pillows in stock so I could try them. I was able to compare the Premium vs the Ulitralight side-by-side. They are basically the same, with different fabrics. I liked the premium much better and it seemed to be worth carrying the extra grams. The difference is that the fabric in the Premium version is stretchy and the not so in the UL version. As a result, the UL version gave that "head on a balloon" feeling whereas the Premium gave more of that "head on a pillow" feeling.

The key is to inflate to full. Then lay back on the pillow with the outer tab still open. Push on the little blue button and puff air out a little at a time. When you no longer feel the "head on a balloon" feeling; push the tab in and close it. I love the UL version but that is because it's in a hammock that does better with the smaller size. Mess around with the pillow a little and I am sure you will grow to love it.

peteyglad
04-08-2016, 21:45
I have had good luck with my Nemo. It is a good combination of a foam and an air pillow. My wife has the cocoon air pillow that she loves, but it just doesn't work for me. I had a Thermorest foam pillow that was ok, but didn't pack down as much as I would have liked.

https://www.rei.com/product/847721/nemo-fillo-backpacking-pillow

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Pringles
04-08-2016, 23:09
I got a little inflatable neck pillow in the travel section of Walmart. It was $5. It has a soft, furry fleece cover, which you could take off and just use the inflatable part, if you wanted. When I use it, I don't have to chase the pillow all night.

Pringles

Aristicks
04-12-2016, 23:48
Marmot Strato pillow. It can be used in various configurations. Very versatile. As a stomach sleeper, I love it. And when I want to lay on my side for a bit, I just fold it over and it works great.

Dochartaigh
04-13-2016, 09:50
Air pillows suck. I've tried them all (seriously....think I'm up to 12 or 14 if not more...you should see my Amazon return list ;)

The problem with them is they're too firm for many people. When air compresses from the weight of your head the pillow gets hard. NONE of the air pillows have any decent amount of padding like our normal in-our-house pillows have. ...let alone the back and forth motion all these pillows have when the air shifts from one side to the other (X pillow decreases this the most...but is too thin for me).

Only good solution gets heavy IMO. Down pillow (too squishy for me), or synthetic insulation pillow. Looking at 5+ ounces here bare minimum. Maybe 4.5 if you only need a tiny slim pillow (like the Arrowhead Equipment Cub Pillow meant for hammocks). My personal pillow of choice is DIY - Tempur-Pedic foam from one of their gel mattresses (my buddy is a rep for them), with a 1.0oz/sqyd silnylon pillowcase weighing in at 5.22 ounces. Nothing else does it for me.

Another Kevin
04-14-2016, 13:13
I just use any clothing that I'm not wearing to bed, in my sleeping bag's stuff sack. Your Mileage May Vary.

poolskaterx
04-15-2016, 19:41
I made my own down pillow out of super light synlon that weighs about 8.5 oz, I cover it with a light fleece pillow case I made so that I can wash it as it gets dirty. Not the lightest or the prettiest but it is REALLY comfortable. When I am really counting the grams I use my exped.