PDA

View Full Version : This website is getting old

chknfngrs
04-05-2016, 09:17
ive been on here for over 10 years, but have no idea when it started. whats the born-on date and who started this thing?

I also mean to reference the content, while still moderately educational, is growing old too. am I alone in that?

floid
04-05-2016, 09:35
ive been on here for over 10 years, but have no idea when it started. whats the born-on date and who started this thing?

I also mean to reference the content, while still moderately educational, is growing old too. am I alone in that?
it's a good reference site. But I agree, the topics all seem to repeats.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

hikernutcasey
04-05-2016, 09:50
Can we show some appreciation please? For goodness sakes, of course things are going to get rehashed over and over again, it's an internet message board for crying out loud. What do you expect?

I for one am thankful for a site that is completely dedicated to the hobby I love and much props to those who built it and continue to maintain it. I have learned so much from reading this site and just yesterday asked another member a logistical question through private message and received some great information that will help me plan an upcoming section hike that otherwise I would have never been able to find myself.

Also, even if you feel the content is stale and you know all things backpacking and Appalachian Trail, you can still give back to the newbies who are just getting started and have questions of their own. Try giving something back, you might actually enjoy it.

FossilFool
04-05-2016, 09:53
Topics like 'what's the best stove' do keep coming up, but technology changes and these threads need to be updated constantly. I can see, however, that to a veteran that it could lose it's charm a bit. This site is a treasure trove of knowledge for us newbs. I've never done a section hike over multiple days, but planning one soon. This is the best place I've found to prepare for the trip.

yaduck9
it's a good reference site. But I agree, the topics all seem to repeats.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Is that the fault of the web site or the folks who post?

Does the tail wag the dog?

illabelle
Can we show some appreciation please? For goodness sakes, of course things are going to get rehashed over and over again, it's an internet message board for crying out loud. What do you expect?

I for one am thankful for a site that is completely dedicated to the hobby I love and much props to those who built it and continue to maintain it. I have learned so much from reading this site and just yesterday asked another member a logistical question through private message and received some great information that will help me plan an upcoming section hike that otherwise I would have never been able to find myself.

Also, even if you feel the content is stale and you know all things backpacking and Appalachian Trail, you can still give back to the newbies who are just getting started and have questions of their own. Try giving something back, you might actually enjoy it.

Thumbs up!

Tuckahoe
04-05-2016, 10:02
For those that want to b$tch and moan about the repetitiveness of questions and topics, keep in mind that while you may have become a hiking and backpacking expert, for the majority of folks the subjects are new and it's the first time they've asked the question.

If it's old for you just pass the topic on by, or better yet start your own thread that meets your standard.

nsherry61
04-05-2016, 10:20
. . . start your own thread that meets your standard.
I think that is the crux of the matter. If you want the site to stay fresh, keep it fresh with fresh threads of interest.

Traillium
04-05-2016, 10:31
This site has been the most helpful online source for me as a newbie to backpacking, let alone long-distance hiking.
I think I'm savvy enough after half a year to sort wheat from chaff, scurrilous from serious, informed opinion from blather …
While I try to be careful in my queries and responses, I also feel that I can contribute somewhat as well — and that's rewarding and encouraging.
It's the first hiking stuff I browse every morning, and the last before I turn in at night.

Bruce Traillium

nsherry61
04-05-2016, 10:37
. . . It's the first hiking stuff I browse every morning, and the last before I turn in at night.
Yeah, well I sleep with it all night on my cell phone. :eek:

Traillium
04-05-2016, 10:43
Yeah, well I sleep with it all night on my cell phone. :eek:

Ok, truth be told …

shakey_snake
04-05-2016, 10:47
When I was a freshman in college, I thought that college was just the greatest thing. When I was a sophomore I thought freshman were just the silliest things. When I was an upperclassman, I decided that both freshman me and sophmore me were both right and that helping freshman integrate into the college experience was probably among the best things I could do. :)

The same content get repeated every spring when the new blood comes looking for help.

That's simply how this forum works and our focus should be on being helpful and courteous to try and retain some of these new folks so that it doesn't become REALLY stale.

The AT changes new people's lives every year, we should really learn to take joy in that fact. :)

Rain Man
04-05-2016, 11:02

Here's the link to WB's own history page. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/aboutus.php)

I joined in '03 (after you did, chknfngrs) and it had already been around a year. I think it was started by "The Administrator" or some such ID, but when he fell by the wayside, Rick "ATTroll" picked up the ball and ran with it (with help, of course). But ATTroll is the prime mover & reason WB exists and hasn't sunk into the mire of many discussion web sites. That takes a lot of work.

Kudos to ATTroll, in other words!

chknfngrs
04-05-2016, 11:03
Right. Who started this site and are they still involved?

Uncle Joe
Topics will repeat. It's not trivial to search and find a given topic because there's a lot to sort through. And things change, gear changes. It doesn't bother me for people to ask similar or even the same question.

chknfngrs
Posted the same time rain man

chknfngrs
04-05-2016, 11:05
Also to reiterate this is still a useful resource. Always will be as long as it's up. Just not what it was. If it's me or if it's you? Dunno.

nsherry61
04-05-2016, 11:09
I actually get quite annoyed at the "What is the best" questions. It's like, grow the ****** up and ask a real question please!

So, I just ignore those threads until a see them hanging around for a while with people more patient than I helping focus the question to something meaningful. Then, often the tread eventually becomes interesting because of the focus other participants have helped provide and I might even jump in if I have anything to say.

As for the OP, what is something you would like to see discussed on this site that would make it fresher?

chknfngrs
04-05-2016, 11:14
Dunno! Great question- maybe less gear talk and more trip reports; but maybe that's my problem- should read more TrailJournals. Just wondering anymore, why do I keep coming back? Will ponder. It's all relative...

Odd Man Out
04-05-2016, 11:36
If the same questions keep coming up, then the problem is not the site getting old. The problem is we are getting old.

But is that a problem? I'm sure if I looked at my posts from early on I would see that I was the one who asked the dumb questions and there was a previous generation of Veterans who helped me along. In my day job I'm an educator so maybe I am used to it. I never teach the same class twice. The material is the same, but the students are different. "What's the best ......" is not a dumb question. It's just that the student is not going to learn what he/she expected. There are no dumb question, unless maybe they are about cheese or vibrators.

Another Kevin
04-05-2016, 11:38
I actually get quite annoyed at the "What is the best" questions. It's like, grow the ****** up and ask a real question please!

So, I just ignore those threads until a see them hanging around for a while with people more patient than I helping focus the question to something meaningful. Then, often the tread eventually becomes interesting because of the focus other participants have helped provide and I might even jump in if I have anything to say.

As for the OP, what is something you would like to see discussed on this site that would make it fresher?

I try hard to be patient about "what's the best," and explain that there's no "best" of anything (or else the others wouldn't sell) - only "fit for purpose." I usually wind up answering a question with a question: "what's your hiking style?"

Of course, the people who are asking "what's the best" don't know what their hiking style is yet. In part, that's the point. It's a journey we all make. We all wish that we'd got different gear when we started out, and bemoan the expense of replacing it. But when we started out, we didn't know enough about our own style to know what gear would be best for us.

Which is why the answer always comes down to, "the best gear for someone who's asking that question is probably the cheapest that is still serviceable, until you have enough experience to judge for yourself."

Sometimes it comes as a revelation to the newbies that there is such a thing as hiking style. They seem to think that all long hikes (or all long hikes on a given trail) are alike and that there will be some kit that's best for the purpose.

I agree that questions like, "can someone who's tried both the Notch and the Lunar Solo compare their relative strong points?" would be more informative for me... but I can still remember being a newcomer trying to drink from the fire hose of information. (I still feel that way about hammocking, which is one reason that I remain a ground dweller.)

Also, it just seems more friendly to give a newbie a personal reply, rather than a pointer to someone's article or a long discussion thread.

Another Kevin
04-05-2016, 11:48
There are no dumb question, unless maybe they are about cheese or vibrators.

I'll even put up with discussing cheese.

How long does cheese last on the trail? The answer is the same as "how many licks to the center of a Tootsie Pop?" The world may never know,. Every hiker eats it before it goes bad.

I met a guy once who had the trail name 'Cheddar,' after a hilarious incident where he left his brick of cheese behind at a hostel and his trail family returned to him, with a tale of multiple hikers carrying it down the trail that grew in the telling to the stuff of which legends are made.

And of course, there's the mandatory picture of grinning hikers at a trailhead, shelter, hostel, or summit. "Say cheese, whiskey and sex!"

bigcranky
04-05-2016, 12:34
I for one am thankful for a site that is completely dedicated to the hobby I love and much props to those who built it and continue to maintain it.

Yup, exactly how I feel about Whiteblaze. :)

Just Bill
04-05-2016, 12:49
IF there is a complaint to be made; it is that the user base is aging and getting a bit cranky.
Or maybe that the younger newbies are used to googling for an instant answer and don't understand that knowledgeable folks don't like being googled or that more often than not there is no answer to give(best, fact, etc.)

Doing a little homework goes a long way, course so does having some patience.

This is a very nice site, really the only internet place I visit and it has somehow escaped the massive mire of insanity that is most of the internet. If a bit creeps in... hike on.

I do wish that the younger folks were more welcomed, and more likely to stick around as a result. It works on the trail to great success...

My dad ain't too smart, but back in scouts when I was young and knew it all, he told me something I repeat to myself often when I get to feeling a bit "experty";
"If you think you have mastered a skill- teach someone else."

More oft than not turns out my expertise is not so vast as I like to think, and I need to be patient with myself as I continue to learn.
So I remain thankful for any and all questions; every once in a while one of those off the wall ones leads my mind down a trail I couldn't have blazed and I learn something pretty amazing. Or even create a new piece of gear as a result.

Coyote also likes to point out that if I'm really honest:
It is not vast generosity to share knowledge and teach that motivates me... So no need to get offended if someone fails to display proper etiquette when approaching the pulpit of knowledge.
It is my vast selfishness to acquire, steal and hoard knowledge... So really I'm just a greedy bastard looking to google up some wisdom too.

If'n you learn something in the process- well bless yer heart. :D

AO2134
04-05-2016, 12:51

Winning argument. I refuse to read any other post after this.

Miel
04-05-2016, 12:59
I just found this place short time back, so it's all new to me.

Helping others, whether as a college dean or to vets contributing here, is called service, and I for one am grateful for it.

rickb
04-05-2016, 13:39

Unfortunately, I agree 100%.

The site (in my imperfect memory) used to have more wide ranging trail-related topics -- from porqupine scat to Myron Avery to favorite swimming spots and everything in between.

Now it seems to focus much more on the mechanics of hiking-- important stuff, but to the exclusion of all the rest.

Just my 2 cents.

rafe
04-05-2016, 13:57
Blame it on facebook. ;) Or youtube. Or google. Whiteblaze has lots of competition now. For journals, there are dozens of offerings, for free or for cheap on Kindle, Amazon, or at Trailjournals.com, etc.

Some folks (the smart ones?) might get their hard, factual info from books (gasp!) or gear reviews. Or from websites like the ones run by Mags or Twistwrist (et. al.) The market for blogs like this one is narrowing.

A lot of colorful characters have departed over the years. WB is a much more sedate and heavily moderated place than the old days.

gravityman
04-05-2016, 14:18
Wow, I found this site in November 2002 after a 1/2 a thru in 2001 that ended earlier than expected. Someone suggested it after Mr. Wingfoot's site shut down. Back then it was his site and an email listserv (I wonder if that is still going?)

I missed the magic of the trail. I was a heavy poster for a long time while my wife and I prepared for a reattempt in 2005. The magic wasn't quite the same, but enjoyed it a lot.

Now that I have kids and 14 years have pasted, I find myself doing a drive by every now and again, but I know what I need to know to get out for a few nights we can manage right now. It's starting to pick up again though as my 9 year old is very interested in a longer trip this summer.

That said, it's unlikely I will be a significant contributor, as I want to do more than think. That and I am much more productive in my work as I have a lot more responsibilities now :)

Gravity

FossilFool
04-05-2016, 15:41

I can't imagine how this kind of question is annoying. What better way for newbs to figure out what kind of gear to buy than ask experienced people who have no motive to sell them something? Should we just rely on web research and ads to help us figure it out? You can learn in minutes here what it would take days to learn just googling.

Datto
04-05-2016, 15:52
It is the Twiting of the Appalachian Trail.

"I shall now eat a pudding."

Datto

Datto
04-05-2016, 15:54
That is expected by the new generation.

Misses the whole point.

Datto

Datto
04-05-2016, 16:03
It is the new normal for the next generation of AT thru-hikers.

"I've digitized the field of flowers and my phone calculates there are 16,354 flowers in the scene."

Datto

Pedaling Fool
04-05-2016, 16:04
Makes you wonder...:-?

How long would one have to live life before it starts getting old? Good thing we only live for about a century, give or take...:D

dudeijuststarted
04-05-2016, 16:16
its a website about walking around on dirt and rocks. how revolutionary is it supposed to be?

sheepdog
04-05-2016, 16:33
Op didn't seem like bitching. Seemed more of an observation.

Lugnut
04-05-2016, 16:57
Right. Who started this site and are they still involved?

The site was started by Easy Hiker (Dave Bieman) who has since passed. It used to be AT Forum then was reborn as Whiteblaze.

Another Kevin
04-05-2016, 17:42
I can't imagine how this kind of question is annoying. What better way for newbs to figure out what kind of gear to buy than ask experienced people who have no motive to sell them something? Should we just rely on web research and ads to help us figure it out? You can learn in minutes here what it would take days to learn just googling.

As I said above, the problem is that there simply isn't a "best" of anything - which is why I follow up to these questions with more questions: "best for what hiking style?" I have multiples of most of my gear iterms at this point, and I don't bring the same ones on every trip because I may be planning a different style of trip. And answering the question with, "an AT thru-hike" in turn will be followed up with, "that's not your style, that's your aspiration...." followed by more questions that would inform the gear choice. What gets old after a while is that the people who insist on knowing the "best" are often equally insistent that there must be a single "best.," and moreover don't know their personal style yet, so can't even give the old hands enough information to suggest options that might work well for it.

la.lindsey
04-05-2016, 18:01
What gets old after a while is that the people who insist on knowing the "best" are often equally insistent that there must be a single "best.," and moreover don't know their personal style yet, so can't even give the old hands enough information to suggest options that might work well for it.

There should probably be more weighted decision matrices used on this website. Even then, everyone will assign the weight differently to different categories.

Eg: I switched to an alcohol stove because as a section hiker, I was more annoyed by a mostly empty canister left over than I was by my water taking longer to boil. On a weekend trip, I might switch those weights around; I wouldn't use enough of the canister for it to matter.

Then the better question would be, "can someone with experience with these products give opinions on how you would rate them in these categories so that I can take an average score and fill in my matrix."

It's the same discussion that's already going on (people give opinions and explain why) but with more focused criteria for a more satisfied consumer.

Of course, if you don't know your hiking style yet, or if it changes a lot and you're limited by budget, it'll be awfully hard to do that. And thus the generic "best" is born, combining the best features for the biggest group of people and situations.

So maybe a new thread to come up with generic decision matrices to find the "best" products, as decreed by whiteblaze.

rocketsocks
04-05-2016, 18:04
I came for info, I stayed for the awesome popcorn they serve!

Roamin
04-05-2016, 18:42
First and foremost, thank you to all of those who keep this site up and running. I applaud your effort and all that you do for the hiking community.

For me, WB is a respite. It allows me to think and “be in the woods” when I am not able. I came to the site to learn insight and gain information. Now that is complete and I come back for the entertainment and conversations. Often I will be at my desk at work sinking into the chair when the thought strikes me to come look at WB and it is refreshing. I am moved hundreds of miles to my beloved trail and I never leave my desk.

As it has already been mentioned, YouTube, Facebook and Trail Journals all are resources available to novice hikers. There is a lot of information there. YouTube also allows us to “see” the trial. When I look at a thread, I try to look at the OPs thread count. If it is low, I try to extend more grace and patience. If it is high, then I am looking for sage advice or I expect it to be an interesting question trying to gain insight. If I get a response which may be “cranky” is usually come from a more seasoned respondent. I take that into account as well. Maybe there just isn’t any joy in the site for them anymore.
I think it is important we try our very best to accommodating to all types of questions and posts.

I did find myself going back to thread #22031 and start reading forward. It is fun and can be very interesting.

And just for the record, I think in 20 thousand plus posts, most topics have been well covered!

George
04-05-2016, 19:01
perhaps you are getting old

BonBon
04-05-2016, 19:05
I love this site. I was here asking questions and sometimes getting smacked down before I ever set a boot on the trail and now I love visiting the site because it reminds me of the most awesome thing I have ever done for myself. Yeah, I still get smacked down sometimes but I usually deserve it and must like it because I just paid for the privilege. Carry on!

Datto
04-05-2016, 19:46
It is the Twiting of the Appalachian Trail.

"I shall now eat a pudding."

If you don't read yer meat, you can't have any puddng. How can you have any pudding if you don't read the meat?

Datto

Diamondlil
04-05-2016, 19:57
For those that want to b$tch and moan about the repetitiveness of questions and topics, keep in mind that while you may have become a hiking and backpacking expert, for the majority of folks the subjects are new and it's the first time they've asked the question.

If it's old for you just pass the topic on by, or better yet start your own thread that meets your standard.

[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtDoraDave
04-05-2016, 20:18
The stove question... Yeah, my bad. I actually did try to find an older thread on the subject before starting a new thread.

While I am a newbie here, I've got a little bit of experience with forums and with hiking. Literally, a little bit... maybe 350 to 400 miles? 4 1/2 week long section hikes on the AT and about a dozen overnighters locally.

Which is why I tried not to ask "which is the best stove" , but rather "what do you use, and why" - so people (like myself) can read what you use ... and why - and perhaps determine if I should spend MORE money on a different setup. I'm on my 3rd backpack, I've bought 4 sleeping bags, 3rd attempt at a sleeping pad that I can actually sleep on.... because I didn't have the knowledge and experience of this place to tap into.

mattjv89
04-05-2016, 23:07
I think it's natural for forums to grow old as you become more familiar with them, and this is not in any way unique to Whiteblaze. I've been involved with many other forums for past hobbies and all share some characteristics regardless of the topic. Certain threads come up repeatedly, people are told to use the search button when posting them :rolleyes:, and when a forum has been active for a long time only a small handful of members from the early days typically remain as regularly active posters. I can certainly see a comparison to the way a thru-hike evolves. After a while the sparkle wears off and many things aren't new anymore. You either find/create something to keep you interested or go elsewhere.

I've stayed active on here, still read a lot more than I post but that's how I usually am on forums. It's probably true that my average visit time is now shorter due to some content being too familiar to bother with. If I'm skimming the new threads and see "Where do I buy trash compactor bags?" with 19 replies I figure I know what most of the replies are going to say and there is certainly nothing I can contribute about that subject that hasn't been said already. So I skim right on by and look for something else to read. But there is still enough new content to keep me coming back and sometimes I'll pop into one of those tried and true threads to answer a question if it doesn't already have two pages of response. I do agree with the sentiment that it's important to generate content beyond the basic nuts & bolts questions to keep things interesting for new and old members alike. One thing a lot of forums do is more heavily utilize sticky threads to address the most commonly asked questions in a given area and tip the balance more towards unique topics.

shelb
04-06-2016, 00:07

I am not sure that the information you inquire about is pertinent. This is a "FORUM" -meaning the content's credibility is only as valid as the poster (think "Wikipedia")

lonehiker
04-06-2016, 00:46
I know one thing for sure. The kinder, gentler, Whiteblaze is not as entertaining as it once was.

But to the topic. Perhaps it is repetitive. But the important question is, is it still relevant?

Offshore
04-06-2016, 07:49
Is that the fault of the web site or the folks who post?

Does the tail wag the dog?

Topics repeat as new hikers/backpackers come to the site and ask questions, so to some degree the repetition is unavoidable. (This ties into the great debate of "look it up" or "start a new thread with an old question" conundrum.) Even though the technology constantly changes, the topics remain fundamentally the same. How many times does one need to sit through a 101 class? As one gains knowledge and experience, there's really very little to be learned here and the site goes from being useful to occasionally entertaining as the regulars hold court over the issues of the day. The other issue seems to be that the moderators let threads go off in all directions unless its something that they personally disagree with.

Jeff
04-06-2016, 08:22
The site was started by Easy Hiker (Dave Bieman) who has since passed. It used to be AT Forum then was reborn as Whiteblaze.

Easy Hiker made for some lively discussions that many times was not "politically correct".

saltysack
04-06-2016, 09:12
[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hit the nail on the head! ✌️

Marta
04-06-2016, 10:10
What we need to liven things up is a blazing fool who announces to the world that no one else has really tried to hike the AT very fast, so they are going to do it in under 30 days.

Now what kind of shoes should I use for this?

Seriously...I'm not very interested in technical discussions much anymore, but I do perk up when there are real-time issues, such as missing hikers or records attempts or major changes to things like the rules for the Smokies, or Baxter. I also faithfully monitor the forum for my "home trail," the one I live near, the CDT.

The beauty of WB is that you don't have to read about things you don't want to read about. Just skip the whole thread--life is too short--take a hike.

Rain Man
04-06-2016, 10:49
Apologies in advance to the OP, chknfngrs, am not addressing this to his post at all.

As one of the "old guys" I will say it's not WB that's "getting old," but rather this thread. It's a repeat of past similar threads that come up every few years, in cycles. Like a petulant child, someone announces they are "bored" and want more "entertainment" for themselves. So, they whine and get a few who agree. The quality of the discussion goes in the toilet on some threads for a while, forced thread drift and alleged "humor" seem major objectives of that crowd, then the moderators have to spend time and effort to get WB back on the right track. And the cycle returns to WB being a valuable service to the general AT community. I've lived through at least two of those big cycles on here and hope this isn't the start of another "I'm bored, let's talk about drugs, sex, and breaking park laws and hostel rules" cycle. It's not good on the AT and it's not good on WB.

As I said, apologies to the OP because I don't think that was his intent.

Signed, one of the crotchety old boring guys, who is a part of the problem in the eyes of the "liven things up and entertain me" crowd.

Now, as Marta advises, I'll go "take a hike" (though I have to wait until this weekend).

Don H
04-06-2016, 16:22
I long for the good old days when we argued about hiking poles being bad for the trail and people talking on their cell phones.

McPick
04-06-2016, 21:04
perhaps you are getting old

Hold on there, young fella. I resemble that remark...

I long for the good old days when we argued about hiking poles being bad for the trail and people talking on their cell phones.

Ha Ha. I recalled those (heated, pathetic) hiking pole exchanges just last weekend when I came upon several acorns that had survived the winter, squirrels, etc. I drove my hiking pole into the soft earth, rolled a couple acorns into the hole and covered them with dirt. I don't even know if they are capable of sprouting, but I laughed out loud. A few minutes later I came across several deep deer hoof prints in the soft dirt beside the trail. I looked around, found a few acorns and rolled them into the hoof prints and covered them with dirt...

Good to see so many of you "golden oldies" still knocking around. I will never forget the time in New England when I decided to sit on a stump and rest for a few minutes. I looked down the trail and actually saw a 5-Leaf Clover!

Best regards!

Furlough
04-06-2016, 21:52
I do wish that the younger folks were more welcomed, and more likely to stick around as a result. Well young'un you are certainly more than welcomed, and us old'ns, cranky though we may be, hope you keep your top knot and stick around a spell. :D

Furlough

chiefiepoo
04-06-2016, 23:34
Not quite as colorful since "Mathewski" departed. Nonetheless, still a very useful site when looking for recent information on the trail.

Mr. Clean
04-08-2016, 05:51
Mathewski and goat boy were always fun reads.

Gambit McCrae
04-08-2016, 07:54
This is going on my ignore list. If its old, leave

greentick
04-08-2016, 10:47
IF there is a complaint to be made; it is that the user base is aging and getting a bit cranky.

A lot of colorful characters have departed over the years. WB is a much more sedate and heavily moderated place than the old days.

I know one thing for sure. The kinder, gentler, Whiteblaze is not as entertaining as it once was.

I remember the "crankiness" followed by creation of a "non-hiking" subforum for fistfights which then spilled back into the rest of the forums which resulted in heavy moderation.

I stop in every so often. It does get repetitive every season but, like mentioned, new gear does get introduced. I mostly ignore the "best" threads and the always great "down vs synthetic" threads.

As a section hiker, I DO like that you can pop in and get pretty relatively current water, trail, weather "ground truth."

Anyhow, I'm happy it's still kicking around. Sedate or not.

Trance
04-08-2016, 11:52
The people on this website are getting old"er" too hahaha

greentick
04-08-2016, 12:13
true dat!!!

rafe
04-08-2016, 12:25
The people on this website are getting old"er" too hahaha

If trouble don't kill me, Lord, I'll live a long time...

NewHeart
04-08-2016, 12:39
IMHO, Yes the stuff on this site may be old and rehashed repeatedly, but for new hikers like myself, it is an invaluable asset. I would not have been able to get ready properly for my hike. I am leaving for Springer in 17 days I started planning this at the beginning of the year. There are folks here that were very instrumental in helping me get this off the ground and I can't thank them enough.

Traillium
04-08-2016, 13:18
+1 for NewHeart!

Bruce Traillium