PDA

View Full Version : Extra Padding on pack straps--need suggestions!

Mountain Bluebird
04-05-2016, 20:34
I have an OHM Circuit and my pack weight is 26 lb. And I'm just 150 lb, and finding that those straps are really digging into my shoulder and collar bone. It only takes a couple of miles with the pack, and it is most certainly not comfortable.

So, I thought that I could beef up the straps in the shoulder area. Like wider to spread the load over more shoulder area.

What should I do? Is this a DIY matter?

Vegan Packer
04-05-2016, 20:36
http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/strap_pads.shtml

Turtle-2013
04-05-2016, 21:55
Work on the padding, make it as comfortable as you can ... but I would also suggest that you make sure you are fitting the waist properly. I'm of the school of thought that shoulder straps are to keep the pack from falling backward off your back ... the real weight of the pack should be on your waist. Therefore, if you were hiking with me I would encourage you to loosen the shoulder straps, and put the extra padding on the waist/hip belt instead of the shoulder straps. I hope that helps!!! Have fun on the trail!!!

Wise Old Owl
04-05-2016, 22:02
Duct tape and closed foam?

egilbe
04-06-2016, 06:02
Work on the padding, make it as comfortable as you can ... but I would also suggest that you make sure you are fitting the waist properly. I'm of the school of thought that shoulder straps are to keep the pack from falling backward off your back ... the real weight of the pack should be on your waist. Therefore, if you were hiking with me I would encourage you to loosen the shoulder straps, and put the extra padding on the waist/hip belt instead of the shoulder straps. I hope that helps!!! Have fun on the trail!!!

This. The weight really shouldn't be on your shoulders.

mark schofield
04-06-2016, 06:22
as much as I try with load lifters, placemt of gear and weight in the pack, and having the pack rest on my hips, I always have the problem of the pack having a tendency to pull back away from my back, putting tension on my shoulders.

egilbe
04-06-2016, 06:32
https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/backpacks-adjusting-fit.html

Mouser999
04-06-2016, 08:25
Go to an auto parts store and look for pads that fit on to seat belts for comfort. They usually have Velcro to hold the pad to the belt.
Come in many styles and colors

burger
04-06-2016, 10:37
I think you might need a larger (i.e. longer) pack. As mentioned above, your pack straps should ideally "float" just a bit above your shoulders or be touching your shoulder with little or no weight on them. A good test for this is if you can shrug your shoulders without feeling any noticeable pack weight. If your pack is comfortable on your waist, you might just need a longer pack.

nsherry61
04-06-2016, 10:46
. . . So, I thought that I could beef up the straps in the shoulder area. Like wider to spread the load over more shoulder area.
What should I do? . . .
I fear this is a situation where the assumptions inherent in the question may be the biggest problem.

When hiking with a 25 lb pack, if shoulders are hurting, the problem is unlikely to be the shoulder straps as much as many of the other issues alluded to above. Although, there are people that carry 25 lb packs without hip belts, for most people, especially lighter built people, that is not a good choice.

For most of us 60-70% of your pack weight should be being carried on your hips. If half or more of your weight is on your shoulders, the problem is NOT the shoulder straps, the problem is weight distribution due to how your pack is designed, how your pack fits you, how your pack is adjusted and how your pack is loaded.

If you try to fix the problem by padding your shoulder straps, you may postpone your discomfort for a short time, but you won't solve the problem for the long haul (pun intended).

If you solve the weight distribution problem, the should padding becomes immediately irreverent.

Good luck.

Mountain Bluebird
04-09-2016, 11:28
Heartfelt thanks from the Mountain Bluebird. While I cinch up the hipbelt as much as I can, I have a very skinny butt. But now I have ideas to work on, so thanks to all.

You search out my path and my lying down, and are acquainted with all my ways. Psalm 139

Feral Bill
04-09-2016, 11:35
You may just need a different pack that fits you better.

PacDaddy
04-09-2016, 14:33
Watch the REI video posted here - priceless

egilbe
04-09-2016, 15:02
Watch the REI video posted here - priceless

Huge packs, aren't they?