PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Tips and Tricks

nsherry61
04-06-2016, 16:17
If your average backpacker probably already knows about it, or it's the sort of thing one would likely read in a book about how to backpack, or it's a tip, trick, or skill that is already posted repeatedly on most of the internet backpacking tips and tricks lists, don't post it here.

BUT, if it's and idea or technique, skill, or cool DIY piece of gear that an experienced backpacker would likely love to add to their "quiver of knowledge" please share . . .

It might be a stupid but fun idea, or a different take on the same old thing. Whatever knowledge inspires you as an experienced backpacker, please share.

Maybe an example or two?

1) I often carry just enough fuel on any given trip to just squeak by for my planned cooking. BUT, I can still be worry free because, I also carry a couple Esbit tabs as backup cooking fuel and as fire starter. Esbit then becomes multi-purpose, allowing for super easy fire starting and saving me a few ounces of just-enough-extra-to-make-sure fuel.

2) 1/4" wide standard office type rubber bands make great, convenient, and light shock absorbers on guy lines. If I am using a syl-nylon shelter in wet weather (where it seems to relax and get saggy) or any shelter in windy conditions, adding a rubber band at either end of the guy lines dramatically reduces the flapping and stress on both the shelter guy-out points and the stakes, reducing the likelihood of having to either repair or adjust or re-pitch your tent in the middle of the night. It also dramatically reduces storm flapping noise so it is easier to sleep. It also enables one to use really cheap and/or light tarps in really harsh conditions without tearing out grommets or otherwise damaging super light materials from wind stress. You can also double up the rubber bands for higher tension guy-out points if needed.

2.5) Rubber bands also make great gear organizers where you can use them to hold the lids on your pots when packed, keep you tent stakes together, wrap around the sleeping pad, or tent, or raingear, or whatever other gear you roll up so it says rolled up. Rubber bands are semi-disposable, so you will likely not get more than a season or two of use out of them before they have to be replaced. So, be prepared to pay another 50 cents or more every couple of seasons if you're not a good rubber band scrounge.

Bigfoot86
04-06-2016, 16:37
I have gotten to the point where i have started to no longer cook. I get to camp and eat a luke warm meal and go to bed. That takes away a pot, windscreen, stove, or container for alcohol. And reduces weight by a decent bit.

Miel
04-06-2016, 16:39
(Newbie here) - just out of curiosity, why not forget about the other fuel and just go with the esbit?

saltysack
04-06-2016, 17:42
If your average backpacker probably already knows about it, or it's the sort of thing one would likely read in a book about how to backpack, or it's a tip, trick, or skill that is already posted repeatedly on most of the internet backpacking tips and tricks lists, don't post it here.

BUT, if it's and idea or technique, skill, or cool DIY piece of gear that an experienced backpacker would likely love to add to their "quiver of knowledge" please share . . .

It might be a stupid but fun idea, or a different take on the same old thing. Whatever knowledge inspires you as an experienced backpacker, please share.

Maybe an example or two?

1) I often carry just enough fuel on any given trip to just squeak by for my planned cooking. BUT, I can still be worry free because, I also carry a couple Esbit tabs as backup cooking fuel and as fire starter. Esbit then becomes multi-purpose, allowing for super easy fire starting and saving me a few ounces of just-enough-extra-to-make-sure fuel.

2) 1/4" wide standard office type rubber bands make great, convenient, and light shock absorbers on guy lines. If I am using a syl-nylon shelter in wet weather (where it seems to relax and get saggy) or any shelter in windy conditions, adding a rubber band at either end of the guy lines dramatically reduces the flapping and stress on both the shelter guy-out points and the stakes, reducing the likelihood of having to either repair or adjust or re-pitch your tent in the middle of the night. It also dramatically reduces storm flapping noise so it is easier to sleep. It also enables one to use really cheap and/or light tarps in really harsh conditions without tearing out grommets or otherwise damaging super light materials from wind stress. You can also double up the rubber bands for higher tension guy-out points if needed.

2.5) Rubber bands also make great gear organizers where you can use them to hold the lids on your pots when packed, keep you tent stakes together, wrap around the sleeping pad, or tent, or raingear, or whatever other gear you roll up so it says rolled up. Rubber bands are semi-disposable, so you will likely not get more than a season or two of use out of them before they have to be replaced. So, be prepared to pay another 50 cents or more every couple of seasons if you're not a good rubber band scrounge.

I always carry and use a few rubber bands bands for tent stakes, air mattress etc...never thought about shock cords...curious how you attach to guy lines..

Slo-go'en
04-06-2016, 17:45
(Newbie here) - just out of curiosity, why not forget about the other fuel and just go with the esbit?

Esbits are not widely available.

Another Kevin
04-06-2016, 18:27

Esbit isn't available in many trail towns. Alcohol is.
Esbit is more work. It leaves a brown residue on my pot that will then stain anything my pot comes in contact with, and therefore must be scrubbed off before I pack up in the morning.
Esbit stinks. Seriously, I can lose my appetite cooking with it. I think I'm more sensitive to the stench than most people.
Esbit is slow. Even my alcohol stove gives a more intense heat.
Esbit is kind of pricey. Denatured alcohol is pretty cheap fuel.

A couple of Esbit tabs as a backup and a fire starter might make sense.

My backup for cooking is an old-fashioned twig fire (and I've never had my alcohol stove fail, so I've never resorted to it). My fire starting kit is vaseline-impregnated cotton balls, a bit of amadou mushroom or charcloth, and a firesteel, all in an Altoids tin. That tin goes in a pocket in my clothing, because I want it on my person, in case I fall at a ford and have to ditch my pack. I've come close to that. (I lost my footing at a ford and started to get my arms out of the pack straps, but I fetched up on a rock and got to keep the pack.) There's flint, chert, jasper or garnet about almost anywhere that I hike (and indeed, almost anywhere in Appalachia), so I suppose I'd always be able to make a fire as long as I have my knife, but catching a spark off carbon steel is a lot more difficult than striking a ferrocerium rod, and I don't want to have to go hunting for flint in an emergency.

Miel
04-06-2016, 19:10
Thanks so much!

nsherry61
04-06-2016, 19:51
...never thought about shock cords...curious how you attach to guy lines..
On the tent or tarp end of the guy line I just make a lark's head with the rubber band through the grommet or loop on the tent, and then attache the guy line like I would directly to the tent or tarp. Or, on the stake end, I just loop the rubber band around the stake and then attache the guy line to the rubber band instead of the stake. If I want a stiffer shock aborber, I just push the rubber band through the grommet or guy-loop and . . .

I'll try and use a photo . . . In these photos the guy line is just a piece of cord with a bowline loop in the end making it easy to attache the guy to a grommet, or loop, or rubber band, however I am inclined at the time.

34425 Here is the softer shock aborber lark's head around the grommet.

34426 Here is the double stiffness shock aborber by just pushing the rubber band through the grommet and hooking the guy line through both half-loops of the rubber band.

In general I find the single loop is good for non-ridge-line guys and the double loop is good for a ridge-line guy of an ultralight tarp. On these slightly heavier cheap plastic tarps, like shown in these images, I use a full ridge-line and run a single loop rubber band to a prusik knot on the ridge-line to tension the tarps ridge-line.

Also, there are many times that I don't even use a guy-line, I just run the rubber band through the grommet/loop and then stake the rubber band to the ground without a guy.

I hope that is at least a little clear'ish. I can try again if need be.

Another thought, I've heard people express concern about rubber bands breaking. I've used this in some pretty fowel, stormy weather and never had a rubber band break. But, if the wind gust was enough to break the rubber band, it would alternatively pull the stake or tear the tent/tarp, so a broken rubber band might be the more desirable option.

saltysack
04-06-2016, 19:57
On the tent or tarp end of the guy line I just make a lark's head with the rubber band through the grommet or loop on the tent, and then attache the guy line like I would directly to the tent or tarp. Or, on the stake end, I just loop the rubber band around the stake and then attache the guy line to the rubber band instead of the stake. If I want a stiffer shock aborber, I just push the rubber band through the grommet or guy-loop and . . .

I'll try and use a photo . . . In these photos the guy line is just a piece of cord with a bowline loop in the end making it easy to attache the guy to a grommet, or loop, or rubber band, however I am inclined at the time.

34425 Here is the softer shock aborber lark's head around the grommet.

34426 Here is the double stiffness shock aborber by just pushing the rubber band through the grommet and hooking the guy line through both half-loops of the rubber band.

In general I find the single loop is good for non-ridge-line guys and the double loop is good for a ridge-line guy of an ultralight tarp. On these slightly heavier cheap plastic tarps, like shown in these images, I use a full ridge-line and run a single loop rubber band to a prusik knot on the ridge-line to tension the tarps ridge-line.

Also, there are many times that I don't even use a guy-line, I just run the rubber band through the grommet/loop and then stake the rubber band to the ground without a guy.

I hope that is at least a little clear'ish. I can try again if need be.

Another thought, I've heard people express concern about rubber bands breaking. I've used this in some pretty fowel, stormy weather and never had a rubber band break. But, if the wind gust was enough to break the rubber band, it would alternatively pull the stake or tear the tent/tarp, so a broken rubber band might be the more desirable option.

Perfect...ill give it a shot! Thx I learned something new!

nsherry61
04-06-2016, 19:59
I have gotten to the point where i have started to no longer cook. I get to camp and eat a luke warm meal and go to bed. That takes away a pot, windscreen, stove, or container for alcohol. And reduces weight by a decent bit.
I do the same occasionally on shorter trips. Do you have good recommendations on what you eat and out of what?

nsherry61
04-06-2016, 20:05
I guess I'll just keep going since these ideas are on my mind right now.

A couple of years ago, while hoisting a week's worth of food for my buddy and I using the PCT method, I found the weight to be a significant issue (barely managed to hoist the load). I also got concerned about the damage I was doing by dragging a thin line over a tree branch with a load on it.

Then, about a year ago, I figured out a pretty decent solution to both problems that I then posted on WB here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/112951-New-safer-amp-easier-bear-bag-hanging-method?highlight=).

OCDave
04-06-2016, 20:09
A good source of big strong rubber bands is from the bunched broccoli at the local produce store.

Deacon
04-07-2016, 06:42

Esbit is all I use. Quiet and light weight. As Slo'goen said above, you can't find it everywhere, but they are easily available from Amazon. I have seen them at some of the outfitters along the trail though.

Leo L.
04-07-2016, 08:40
I'm using Esbit eclusively as well, a very simple trick for the residue on the pot is, to put the pot in a bag. I'm using a cotton shopping bag.
A very important detail about Esbit is to keep it dry, so I put the stove and the one box of tablets I'm using at the moment in a small ziploc, and all the spare boxes in another ziploc.

flatgrounder
04-07-2016, 10:07
Save your unused alcohol wipes from your ck wing excursions. They make good emergency fire starters or for tough starting wood. They are no weight and have about a 20 sec flame

Bigfoot86
04-07-2016, 10:09
I do the same occasionally on shorter trips. Do you have good recommendations on what you eat and out of what?
Well for breakfast ill eat something such as pop tarts, slowly snack till dinner, and for dinner ill have some summer sausage with cheese and maybe some crackers. I just like to keep it simple.

flatgrounder
04-07-2016, 10:12
Peanut Butter and Honey in a tortilla make a good dinner, lunch, or breakfast. That's two lbs of food that last a couple of days.

rafe
04-07-2016, 10:18
Advanced tips, eh? Nah, can't help. I've been doing it all wrong for years now.

Keep a clean nose
Wash the plain clothes
You don't need a weather man
To know which way the wind blows.

Dogwood
04-07-2016, 12:11
There's so much information available yet it's not always about learning new things. It's about applying or incorporating what's already been heard. Hearing is not doing. Hearing is not learning. Hearing is not necessarily heeding.

Learn to hike...MOVE... efficiently and safely in regards to body especially footwork. Mindfully practice efficiency of motion until it's instinctive. Watch backpackers with the most miles or the fastest style or who have great longevity in being rather less injury prone. They glide almost like they are floating across the terrain in such a relaxed purpose of motion. And, their mindsets are usually equivalent with their bodies movement.

McNett's Seam Grip is your friend... when not getting all over fingertips. :D

jfarrell04
04-07-2016, 12:20
"Watch" the plain clothes, eh Rafe?

pyroman53
04-07-2016, 12:29
I tried and ditched the guy line shock absorbers after a tent stake was pulled loose and went flying into the darkness, never to be seen again that night. Thank goodness it didn't hit someone in the eye.

rafe
04-07-2016, 12:34
"Watch" the plain clothes, eh Rafe?

That's what I thought, too. Can't trust ancient song lyrics plucked off of any old web site, I guess. ;)

Auto Draft
04-07-2016, 12:43
Clif Bar wrappers are widely available and make excellent fire starters. They burn slow over a long time.

OCDave
04-07-2016, 13:06
My hiking poles came with beginner or "training" tips which I quickly upgraded to intermediate tips. However, these intermediate tips haven't really facilitated many tricks. I am on my way out now in search of a pair of "advanced" tips. I am very excited for how they might improve my hiking tricks.

Wish me luck!

10-K
04-07-2016, 15:55
100% esbit here too.

Doesn't spill, doesn't require separate or special container, when it's gone - it's gone - so no trash, you always know exactly how much you have left and it's a good firestarter if you want to build a fire the easy way.

I've done a fair amount of hiking and have managed not to ever run out.

Kerosene
04-07-2016, 16:28
I've done a fair amount of hiking and have managed not to ever run out.A "fair bit"? How many backpacking miles are you up to now, 10-K? :rolleyes:

saltysack
04-07-2016, 17:14
100% esbit here too.

Doesn't spill, doesn't require separate or special container, when it's gone - it's gone - so no trash, you always know exactly how much you have left and it's a good firestarter if you want to build a fire the easy way.

I've done a fair amount of hiking and have managed not to ever run out.

What esbit set up did you find most efficient...seem like I recall you messing with a few last year...

saltysack
04-07-2016, 17:18
A "fair bit"? How many backpacking miles are you up to now, 10-K? :rolleyes:

Didn't you just do a sobo run off CDT?

nsherry61
04-09-2016, 19:24
Advanced tips, eh? Nah, can't help. I've been doing it all wrong for years now. . .
That's the best kind of tips. Insight from years of experience. Who wants to spend their life doing everything right all the time. That would get boring.

Bronk
04-10-2016, 12:19
Recently on trips in the winter time I've been bringing a bag of frozen meatballs for dinner. The smaller bag is a pound and has 32 meatballs in it...enough for a dog and two people, but you could easily bring a Ziploc with however many you want. They are pre-cooked so you just have to heat them over a fire, don't make any mess and they are full of fat and protein. Bring some bread and cheese and you could make a sandwich.

One thing I do that I don't see a lot of people doing is to rake up a big pile of leaves with your feet and then set your tent up on top of that. Makes the ground softer and provides some insulating value.

If you have something heavy that you don't want to carry, leave early in the morning and drop it on the trail a little ways away from the shelter. One of your friends will pick it up thinking you lost it and carry it back to you. Just make sure you don't take a lot of long breaks that day because if they catch up to you then you will be stuck carrying it the rest of the day. You have to do this sparingly...if you do it every day people will catch on to what you are doing.

You can also get up early and put your trash in the bottom of someone else's pack. By the time they realize its there you will be long gone.

If you run out of toilet paper, somebody will usually have a shirt or a jacket hanging up somewhere in the shelter.

You can save money by pretending a bear stole your food bag. People will feel sorry for you and give you enough free food to make it to the next town.

QiWiz
04-12-2016, 14:18

Esbits are not widely available.

Esbit is all I use. Quiet and light weight. As Slo'goen said above, you can't find it everywhere, but they are easily available from Amazon. I have seen them at some of the outfitters along the trail though.

100% esbit here too. Doesn't spill, doesn't require separate or special container, when it's gone - it's gone - so no trash, you always know exactly how much you have left and it's a good firestarter if you want to build a fire the easy way. I've done a fair amount of hiking and have managed not to ever run out.

+1 on Esbit as a fuel option. In addition to what has already been mentioned,
[1] You can mail it to yourself in resupply boxes if you are mailing resupply boxes;
[2] It has more BTU/oz than alcohol.

Uncle Joe
04-12-2016, 14:25
Recently on trips in the winter time I've been bringing a bag of frozen meatballs for dinner. The smaller bag is a pound and has 32 meatballs in it...enough for a dog and two people, but you could easily bring a Ziploc with however many you want. They are pre-cooked so you just have to heat them over a fire, don't make any mess and they are full of fat and protein. Bring some bread and cheese and you could make a sandwich.

One thing I do that I don't see a lot of people doing is to rake up a big pile of leaves with your feet and then set your tent up on top of that. Makes the ground softer and provides some insulating value.

If you have something heavy that you don't want to carry, leave early in the morning and drop it on the trail a little ways away from the shelter. One of your friends will pick it up thinking you lost it and carry it back to you. Just make sure you don't take a lot of long breaks that day because if they catch up to you then you will be stuck carrying it the rest of the day. You have to do this sparingly...if you do it every day people will catch on to what you are doing.

You can also get up early and put your trash in the bottom of someone else's pack. By the time they realize its there you will be long gone.

If you run out of toilet paper, somebody will usually have a shirt or a jacket hanging up somewhere in the shelter.

You can save money by pretending a bear stole your food bag. People will feel sorry for you and give you enough free food to make it to the next town.

So...wrong! :D

Roamin
04-12-2016, 17:46
Clif Bar wrappers are widely available and make excellent fire starters. They burn slow over a long time.

Not very "Leave No Trace"ish, but I guess helps clean up other people's trash!

Oslohiker
04-12-2016, 18:43
Esbit isn't available in many trail towns. Alcohol is.
Well, maybe on the AT (if you use a bounce box it should not be a problem?), but in general it is great. This is the fuel of my choice.

Esbit is more work. It leaves a brown residue on my pot that will then stain anything my pot comes in contact with, and therefore must be scrubbed off before I pack up in the morning.
The residue is really easy to remove. Use a small part of a dish washing sponge and a drop of soap.

Esbit stinks. Seriously, I can lose my appetite cooking with it. I think I'm more sensitive to the stench than most people.
Not a problem for me.

Esbit is slow. Even my alcohol stove gives a more intense heat.
Fire up several at the time. This is not a problem.

Esbit is kind of pricey. Denatured alcohol is pretty cheap fuel.

YOLO

Stevep311
04-13-2016, 12:04
Esbit is so attractive because of the weight. I recently used them and did not like having to clean the residue afterwards because it's kinda sticky black stuff that is now all over your towel. Alternative that works well is one wet wipe. The smell is pretty bad though--like cat food. This smell is only really bad with an unused tab, and not while it's burning.

Tipi Walter
04-13-2016, 12:31
My most advanced tips are:

** Never reproduce as offspring could very well keep you from a life outdoors and backpacking. This is a tip for advanced backpackers only, as "normal" backpackers probably already have a family with wife and kids and therefore are lucky to get out on short "snippet" weekend trips now and again. Progeny generally greatly reduces your chances for living outdoors.

** Avoid "mere" dayhiking if at all possible as why start your hiking day in a car and end your day in a car???? Why torture yourself with Done In A Day excursions when you could stretch that dayhike into an overnighter?? Ergo Advanced Tip: Always turn a mere dayhike into an overnighter. Make this a rule.

** Avoid any classification of backpacking into categories such as "I'm an ultralighter" or "I do big daily mileages" or "I'm a thruhiker". See---

http://andrewskurka.com/2012/is-lightweight-backpacking-label-dead/

https://bedrockandparadox.com/2012/10/18/ulisdead/

https://korpijaakko.com/2012/10/19/the-death-of-ul-and-feeble-assumptions/

** Try to get bag nights whenever you can and wherever you are. Sleep out in the backyard every night. Develop a personal relationship with Miss Nature. Formulate your own personal religion around Nature, wilderness, America the Beautiful (or what's left of it) and your place in it.

Leo L.
04-13-2016, 14:26
My most advanced tips are:

** Try to get bag nights whenever you can and wherever you are. Sleep out in the backyard every night. Develop a personal relationship with Miss Nature. Formulate your own personal religion around Nature, wilderness, America the Beautiful (or what's left of it) and your place in it.

Sign this one!
(not the one with the offsprings, all my six kids didn't hinder me being outdoors, it just changed the style a bit)

twistwrist
04-16-2016, 18:23
I was the weirdo who would "clean house" on my thru-hike every few zero days. Besides sweeping out my tent, I would use a wet cloth or occasionally even an anti-bacterial wipe to "mop" the floor and walls inside my tent. Did the same thing to my sleeping pad. It sure cut down on the thru-hiker stench. ;)

Another tip, use antibacterial wipes to do things like wipe the log book pens, the privy door handles, the privy seats (and use it to lift the seat to check for spiders ;)...basically anywhere people touch is worthy of wiping. But PLEASE don't throw the wipes in the privies. They don't biodegrade and sweet trail volunteers who do not get paid are often the ones who have to fish the wipes out of everyone's poop. Pack those suckers out and leave the world more sanitized behind you. ;)

jefals
04-17-2016, 11:02
I tried and ditched the guy line shock absorbers after a tent stake was pulled loose and went flying into the darkness, never to be seen again that night. Thank goodness it didn't hit someone in the eye.

Thanks for thar - I thought this sounded like a great idea till I read that! But I think it still sounds good to attach these on the tent side, right?

nsherry61
04-17-2016, 12:56
Thanks for thar - I thought this sounded like a great idea till I read that! But I think it still sounds good to attach these on the tent side, right?
I would suggest that if someone had a stake pulled while on a shock absorber, it would have have pulled a lot sooner without one. I (and many other people) use shock absorbers on guy lines frequently, and it allows for much better pitching in much harsher conditions without damaging gear. It also allows me to pitch a tarp or tent without having to wake up in the night and tighten all the guys because it rained a little and the nylon expanded. I've never lost a stake in the manner described above, but loosing that stake would be a small price to pay for having my tent stay up in heavy weather without damage. I burned myself once while using a canister stove, but I still frequently use a canster stove because, it works well and the risk is small. I cut myself once with a knife also, but I still use knives.