PDA

View Full Version : Regrets of your hike?

Moxie00
12-26-2005, 09:43
My biggest regret of my thru is I am sorry I didn't take more pictures of friends and didn't write down the name and address of all the wonderful hikers I met. What regrets do others have?

MOWGLI
12-26-2005, 09:45
No regrets, and that was my goal. To have a "no regrets" hike.

neo
12-26-2005, 11:15
i only regret coming back to real world,i am much happier on the trail than off the trail:cool: neo

Grampie
12-26-2005, 11:44
I guess my biggest regret was flipping and not finishing at Katahdin with a lot of great folks I met along the way.
I finished my hike in Duncannon. Spent the night at the Doyle with no one to celebrate with.:(

neo
12-26-2005, 14:24
I guess my biggest regret was flipping and not finishing at Katahdin with a lot of great folks I met along the way.
I finished my hike in Duncannon. Spent the night at the Doyle with no one to celebrate with.:(

i stayed at the doyle on a sunday in late october 2003 no one to celibrate with but it was still cool,:cool:

rickb
12-26-2005, 18:33
I regret that I didn't quit smoking on my thru hike.

It would have been easy, then.

I kept smoking because I wanted to, but my body didn't really need to.

That changed, of course. It was harder later.

Smooth
12-26-2005, 19:57
It ended. Be

neighbor dave
12-26-2005, 20:00
none, it was everything we expected, had a great time, now it's time to move on to a different trail,although the temptation to hike it again will always be there!!:welcome

PKH
12-27-2005, 06:10
As with the original post - I regret not having the light weight and compact digital camera I now own (Pentax Optio WP). I was a gram weenie and elected not to haul a camera on my IAT SOBO. Now it's my only regret. Sometimes saving those extra few ounces is just plain foolish.

Cheers,

PKH

The Solemates
12-27-2005, 11:11
My biggest regret of my thru is I am sorry I didn't take more pictures of friends and didn't write down the name and address of all the wonderful hikers I met. What regrets do others have?

I stopped hiking.

Lion King
12-27-2005, 14:10
Biggest regret is not sending every single person that had contact with me a Thank you or a photo.

Its so easy to say, "Oh Ill keep up, or Ill drop a line, or what have you"

soem people are great about it, I suck at it. And its not even intentional.

Thats it, even though I appreciate everyone and say thank you, it would have to be saying thank you later...afer the fact.

icemanat95
12-27-2005, 14:56
Not taking more pictures of people.

Rollergirl
12-28-2005, 14:55
My biggest regret is falling off the trail and ripping some ankle tendon.

Twice.

But since I couldn't really do anything about either of those mishaps, I have no regrets...I loved every moment of my time with the AT and my trail family...

In fact, any '05 thru's who haven't been in touch, shoot me an email and let me know how you are! I've been pretty good about keeping track of folks but I'm missing a huge slew of email addresses. Hope to hear from peeps!

Muchas Smoochas,
Rollergirl:sun

Blister
12-29-2005, 14:43
My only regret is that I am not independently wealthy, Donald trump was suppose to be my father, oh well. So I continue to save and hike as much as possible, I am addicted.

Moxie00
12-29-2005, 17:08
My only regret is that I am not independently wealthy, Donald trump was suppose to be my father, oh well. So I continue to save and hike as much as possible, I am addicted.
I guess you are old enough to know, Baltimore Jack is your real father.;)

Footslogger
12-29-2005, 18:15
Really ...only that it's over and that my wife couldn't do more of it with me.

'Slogger

Jack Tarlin
12-29-2005, 20:11
Geez, Mox, if what you say is true, then my dissolute youth started even earlier than I remembered. I may be gettin' on in years, but if I'd spawned Blister, I'd be long overdue for the Hiker Retirement Village....don't get me wrong, she's lookin' fine and frisky, but I ain't old enough to be her daddy, unless I spent some time in Kentucky awhile back that has happily slipped my memory.

Actually, I'd be delighted to have Blister as a family member, but it seems to work better with her as a neighbor.

Now, Jester on the other hand....

Well, we'll save that for another time.

Sly
12-29-2005, 20:49
No regrets with the hikes, only that they ended and it seems to take longer to save for the one to come.

Lone Wolf
02-07-2008, 15:10
regrets. i've had a few. but then again, too few to mention

Gray Blazer
02-07-2008, 15:14

So now you're Frank Sinatra.
OLD THREAD ALERT

Jack Tarlin
02-07-2008, 15:18
Good thread. One of my biggest regrets is being a lousy correspondent and not staying in touch with more people, espcially some of the really fine ones I was lucky enough to have met........like Moxie, for example.

To the 2008 folks: Make sure you get all the contact info from your friends so you can stay in touch after your trip, and then make sure that you make an effort to regulalrly do so. Life is short.

Kirby
02-07-2008, 15:27
Moxie was a fine public servant in the State of Maine. He would have done great things in the Maine House of Representatives.

All the best,
Kirby

A-Train
02-07-2008, 15:30
Good thread. One of my biggest regrets is being a lousy correspondent and not staying in touch with more people, espcially some of the really fine ones I was lucky enough to have met........like Moxie, for example.

To the 2008 folks: Make sure you get all the contact info from your friends so you can stay in touch after your trip, and then make sure that you make an effort to regulalrly do so. Life is short.

Absolutely, couldn't agree more. Not only that but get people's email address/numbers very early on, meaning within a few days of meeting them. I can't tell you how many times I met folks who I thought I'd see for hundreds of miles, only to have them race ahead, fall behind or fall off the face of the map unexpectedly. The trail is funny like that..

superman
02-07-2008, 15:42
I remember a post on Wing Foot's site before I hiked the AT about making sure you make arrangements that with someone you can trust to pay your bills while you're gone. I hadn't gotten into using a computer much at that point and paying bills on it seemed like an unsafe thing to do. So I gave the woman I was living with access to my accounts while I hiked so she could pay the bills. When I came back, I didn't have what I should have had so I had a full accounting done. She had siphoned off $15,000. She just took some every month that I was gone, right from when I left my house. I guess she figured that I wouldn't notice.
My son had started the AT with me and went as far a Gatlinburg. I had paid his expenses as well as my own which totaled $7,000.
It cost me $22,000 to hike the AT. It was a great hike but damn...

Red Hat
02-07-2008, 15:43

What's the matter, Lone Wolf, or should I say Frank, did you get bored with the Sensitive Issues Thread and start searching for an old one to bring back up? Too funny!

Bare Bear
02-07-2008, 15:51
I had good experience before my AT thru.
I had great advice given to me from former thrus:
Take lots of people pictures, then take more AND WRITE DOWN WHO THEY ARE. You will forget. I tried to get everyones email and some personal info. It was a pain but well worth it.