PDA

View Full Version : Where to hang my hat?

NewHeart
04-08-2016, 12:50
I will be leaving for Springer in 17 days. I was advised by the folks at the ATC to consider doing a leap frog over the mid atlantic so I could get to Katahdin before they close it to hikers in October. What I decided to do is to start at Springer hike until mid June the head to Monson and do the 100 mile wilderness and on to Katahdin. I will take a shuttle back to Monson and head south to where I left the trail in June.

I am looking for a recommendations for a place in Monson to hang my hat before heading into the wilderness.

Slo-go'en
04-08-2016, 14:01
When you get to Monson, toss a coin. Heads go to Shaw's, tails to go Lakeshore House Lodging and pub. Those are your two choices. The trick will be getting to Monson.

rafe
04-08-2016, 14:46
Shaws is the traditional hiker hostel in Monson, has been for many years. They do shuttles as well, eg. to and from Bangor, or to and from Abol Bridge, and may also offer long-term parking for people walking the Hundred Mile Wilderness.

jj dont play
04-08-2016, 15:23
Interested in your full plan once it comes together (getting to Monson, etc.)
I start on the 18th NOBO from Springer and feel that I will have enough time to make it to BSP, but will continue to monitor the situation as I head North and "Leap Frog" if I feel I need to to ensure that I can summit Katahdin and complete the trail.

theoilman
04-08-2016, 19:30
I am looking for a recommendations for a place in Monson to hang my hat before heading into the wilderness.

On your head.

Water Rat
04-08-2016, 20:16
Another vote for Shaw's! (http://www.shawshikerhostel.com/) Not that there is anything wrong with staying at Lakeshore House... You can't go wrong with either of these establishments.

Poet and Hippy Chick took over Shaw's and have definitely continued the Shaw's tradition. Additionally, Poet created a nice gear shop and can hook you up with any of your last minute food, or fuel needs. They do shuttles, food meet-ups (rather than food drops) and can help you with logistics.

Best of luck and have a safe and happy hike!

NewHeart
04-08-2016, 21:39
Interested in your full plan once it comes together (getting to Monson, etc.)
I start on the 18th NOBO from Springer and feel that I will have enough time to make it to BSP, but will continue to monitor the situation as I head North and "Leap Frog" if I feel I need to to ensure that I can summit Katahdin and complete the trail.Right now the plan is to hike to Hot Springs, NC and take a shuttle to Asheville. There I will take the Greyhound ($89-99 +tax)north to Bangor, ME and a shuttle to Monson. The only reason I am considering this is I'm an old man and won't be moving that fast on the trail I expect. Plus, I can leave the mid-atlantic while it is hot there. return south from Monson and be in the mid-atlantic in September and October when it's cooler.