PDA

View Full Version : Driving to Max Patch from TN side?

Rain Man
12-26-2005, 12:25
My family plans to stop off to hike up Max Patch on the way "over the hills and through the woods to Grandma's house" for the New Year holidays this week. We'll be driving from TN to SC this Thursday. I have found several WhiteBlaze threads about driving to Max Patch from I-40 on the NC side.

What about from the TN side? We'd likely exit I-40 at Newport, TN and head towards Hot Springs, NC. Where do we cut off for Max Patch? How are the FS roads on that side of Max Patch? Is there some reason no one seems to discuss "getting there from here" (from the west side)? I have the ATC topo map showing that section, and it looks as if there is a road, but it spooks me that no one discusses it as a viable route.

For what it's worth, after hiking the mountain, we would plan to drive out the NC side and head on down to SC.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Rain:sunMan

smokymtnsteve
12-26-2005, 18:45
Ive been thru there rain man but it was back in 1999,,,I don't have a mao in front of me rite now ...but newport is not where U get on that road...

I followed an ole logging road back thur there, you go back thru the ole community of Joe,,which really isn't there anymore.

let me look around and see if I kin find myu old maps.

I do remember the road being passable,,,i was driving my ford ranger PU..

Lilred
12-27-2005, 11:28
My family plans to stop off to hike up Max Patch on the way "over the hills and through the woods to Grandma's house" for the New Year holidays this week. We'll be driving from TN to SC this Thursday. I have found several WhiteBlaze threads about driving to Max Patch from I-40 on the NC side.

What about from the TN side? We'd likely exit I-40 at Newport, TN and head towards Hot Springs, NC. Where do we cut off for Max Patch? How are the FS roads on that side of Max Patch? Is there some reason no one seems to discuss "getting there from here" (from the west side)? I have the ATC topo map showing that section, and it looks as if there is a road, but it spooks me that no one discusses it as a viable route.

For what it's worth, after hiking the mountain, we would plan to drive out the NC side and head on down to SC.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sorry Rain Man, you can't get there from here.....:D

The Solemates
12-27-2005, 12:29
http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&1gi=0&un=m&1da=-1.000000&1rc=A5XAX&cl=EN&ct=NA&1si=gaz&rsres=1&1y=US&1ffi=&1l=jfVEtkZS31M%253d&1g=%252bFZgiUvKPoM%253d&1pl=&1v=CITY&1n=Davidson&1pn=&1a=&1c=Nashville&1s=TN&1z=&2y=US&2ffi=&2l=&2g=&2pl=&2v=&2n=&2pn=&2a=&2c=Max+Patch+Mountain&2s=NC&2z=&panelbtn=2

how hard was that? :banana

Burn
12-27-2005, 12:48
they don't call him rain man for nothing....wapner is in 5 minutes...love ya rain man

smokymtnsteve
12-27-2005, 18:11
yea but the cool way to go is thru harmons den

Rain Man
12-27-2005, 19:47
http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&1gi=0&un=m&1da=-1.000000&1rc=A5XAX&cl=EN&ct=NA&1si=gaz&rsres=1&1y=US&1ffi=&1l=jfVEtkZS31M%253d&1g=%252bFZgiUvKPoM%253d&1pl=&1v=CITY&1n=Davidson&1pn=&1a=&1c=Nashville&1s=TN&1z=&2y=US&2ffi=&2l=&2g=&2pl=&2v=&2n=&2pn=&2a=&2c=Max+Patch+Mountain&2s=NC&2z=&panelbtn=2

how hard was that? :banana

Good golly... never even thought of MapQuest giving me directions to a mountain, instead of to an address, that is. WOW.

Thanks and next time I'll know!