PDA

View Full Version : Plateau Campsite , Salisbury CT.

Mouser999
04-09-2016, 08:24
I have seen a mention of the Plateau Campsite in CT. It doesn't show up on my official
AT guide. Is it still there or discontinued?

Traveler
04-09-2016, 10:02
There are several camping areas and two shelters on the Riga Plateau just north of Salisbury however they are not named the "plateau" campsite to my knowledge. The shelters are at Brassie Brook, about a half mile or so south of the Undermountain trail and AT junction, the other is the Riga Shelter a mile or two south of Brassie. There are camp sites around the Riga shelter (may be a group site?). There is also a group campsite just off the Paradise Lane Trail about a half mile or so north of where it meets the Undermountain trail and a campsite not far from the parking area at Rt 41 at the AT crossing below Lions Head.

Mouser999
04-09-2016, 10:15
The sie is marked as Plateau on the CT. Walk Book West. Even shows up on their map which is probably outdated.
Was planning on Riga for one night. Thanks for the assist. My plan is to do Ct. to Sages ravine and a pick up later at Underhill Trail
Parking lot

BillyGr
04-09-2016, 13:36
Per an older (2006) book, the site at Mile 96.7 is labelled Plateau Campsite. Mile 96.9 is the CT 41 crossing labelled as Salisbury, so this is probably the same site as referred to by Traveller in the last sentence of the post (possibly renamed at some point)?

The Snowman
04-09-2016, 16:47
Plateau campsite has been " officialy" closed for a number of years now. some people do still camp here

Sarcasm the elf
04-09-2016, 20:48
My understanding (which could be wrong) is that Plateau campsite is now closed and was formerly located on public land behind a property that was owned by the AMC. The AMC property has since been sold and is now a private residence and the campsite is no longer listed on maps. The first time I hiked this section in 2009 we stopped into the campsite but it looked like it was disused. Since then the side trail leading to it has been more conspicuously blocked and there was a pile of brush and blowdowns pushed in front of it last time I walked by. My assumption (which again could be wrong) is that the site was just too close to the road and the neighbors

gsingjane
04-10-2016, 08:39
Oh boy, Plateau. That campsite has been the subject of so much mystery over the years!

I never wound up staying there in all my years of hiking past it, but as I recall the two biggest problems were that it was very close to Rt. 41 (and hence lots of civilization and car noise) and also that the whole thing was on a slant and uncomfortable for that reason as well. There are so many great campsites and shelters up in that area, you're not missing anything at all by not staying there.

Jane

adamkrz
04-10-2016, 08:47
This was a good campsite when starting late in the day because it was close to the parking lot on rt 41 ,Stayed there many times - there was a good flat area to tent and a small spring running. I can remember waking up to the sound of a lawn mower from the nearby house, It is closed now.

Mouser999
04-10-2016, 11:35
I had asked only because a friend had that section in an older book. Thanks for all the info