PDA

View Full Version : EMS closing down?

rafe
04-09-2016, 15:00
Just ran across this link on Facebook.

https://gearjunkie.com/eastern-mountain-sports-bankruptcy?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+thegearjunkie%2Fdd+%28GearJun kie.com%29

Wise Old Owl
04-09-2016, 15:15
uh sad - hate to see enthusiasts loose their jobs,

mattjv89
04-09-2016, 15:55
Sounds too early to tell the fate of the entire company but hopefully they can at least salvage some stores if it comes to making those decisions. If they do close stores I'll bet Rutland VT will be on the list, I can't imagine that location or any store left in the Diamond Run Mall is making any money.

rafe
04-09-2016, 16:22
The EMS near my house (couple of miles away) closed down and got turned into a "Golf Galaxy" several years ago. It was really no loss. I used to go there with cash burning in my pockets and still come home with nothing. The Golf Galaxy seems to be alive, not that I've ever been inside.

OTOH, when I was looking for replacement tips for my old Leki poles last year, I finally found a set at another EMS, a couple of towns over. My local REI didn't have them.

Lyle
04-09-2016, 17:54
I have several pieces of EMS gear, particularly a summer weight Primaloft sleeping bag that has served me very well for a number of years - great bag. I used to buy from them, but they closed all their Michigan stores quite a few years ago.

Miel
04-09-2016, 18:07
I got my first xv skis at the Commonweath Ave, store, some 30 years ago.

~sigh~ Good times.

WingedMonkey
04-09-2016, 19:12
In today's America, brands are bought and sold with little concern of history or customer loyalty.

Like more and more outdoor gear the EMS brand is owned by a private equity firm (Versa Capital Management).

How can a equity firm that owns companies/brands as diverse as Black Angus Steakhouse or whats left of Bell & Howell care about outdoor recreation?

Coleman (yes they actually use to have good stuff) is owned now by Jarden, a company that was a spin off from the old Ball Canning Jar.

Jarden also owns brands from Marmot and Shakespeare Fishing Tackle to Yankee Candle Company and Mr. Coffee and dozens of brands in between.

Newel-Rumermaid the owner of Housewares and Sharpie Markers is now buying Jarden.

Sarcasm the elf
04-09-2016, 20:33
In today's America, brands are bought and sold with little concern of history or customer loyalty.

Like more and more outdoor gear the EMS brand is owned by a private equity firm (Versa Capital Management).

How can a equity firm that owns companies/brands as diverse as Black Angus Steakhouse or whats left of Bell & Howell care about outdoor recreation?

Coleman (yes they actually use to have good stuff) is owned now by Jarden, a company that was a spin off from the old Ball Canning Jar.

Jarden also owns brands from Marmot and Shakespeare Fishing Tackle to Yankee Candle Company and Mr. Coffee and dozens of brands in between.

Newel-Rumermaid the owner of Housewares and Sharpie Markers is now buying Jarden.

Wow, is that twice in one week that we've been in agreement about something? :D

I think comedian Lewis Black sums it up fairly well:
"most kids go to college. They go, I want to be a business major, which is the phoniest major on earth. That's business. No! You can't be a business major. There's all sorts of business.

tiptoe
04-09-2016, 20:40
Well, I've been wondering why nearly everything at EMS, even the warm-weather clothing and gear, has been for sale at big discounts lately. (And at Bob's, too.) This news explains it.

Sarcasm the elf
04-09-2016, 21:05
Wow, on the related subject of retail woes I just saw this, Pac Sun has just filed for bankruptcy, Quicksilver and American Apparel did so earlier and Aeropostale is headed down the same road. Can't say I'm terribly surprised, I've always wondered how mall retailers managed to make a profit.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-pacific-sunwear-bankruptcy-idUSKCN0X32OE

lonehiker
04-10-2016, 04:43

It comes down to, as it should, profitability. I suspect, I didn't read the article, that these companies are feeling the pinch because of e-commerce.

Traveler
04-10-2016, 05:22
Its hard to say if EMS is unprofitable or if the holding company is. Liquidation of the holding company (Versa Capital Management) apparently in trouble and ironically not well suited to its name. My hope is in their struggle they divest of EMS and allow it to survive as opposed to dragging it under with them. EMS has been my first line go-to store for many years, some of their private label merchandise has been in my packs for as long as I can remember.

Offshore
04-10-2016, 08:13
Hopefully it will just be a reorganization and EMS will survive in some form. I think their private label clothing is among the best, but its a bad sign when its continuously on sale and the stores seem so thinly stocked. When Versa took control of them through their Vestis Retail group, they pushed all of the back end systems from their Bob's Crappy Clothing stores onto EMS. I'm not saying that the old EMS systems were great, but under the most recent owners, inventory management and ordering is a complete mess. The web site got marginally better with a redesign this year, but they seem to have no idea what what they have for sale. I truly feel bad for the EMS customer service people who have to work with customers to sort orders out.

rafe
04-10-2016, 08:24
I got my first xv skis at the Commonweath Ave, store, some 30 years ago.

~sigh~ Good times.

Hehe, yes, that was years before I saw my first REI ever. I sure did a lot of biz with EMS over the years but like lots of great little chains (remember Lechmere?) they got taken over by large conglomerates who neither knew nor cared about their core business or unique nice.

Well, hey, as long as we've still got Campmor, all is not lost. :)

rafe
04-10-2016, 08:25
Oh heck that was supposed to be "niche" not "nice."

Offshore
04-10-2016, 08:27
It comes down to, as it should, profitability. I suspect, I didn't read the article, that these companies are feeling the pinch because of e-commerce.

I don't think e-commerce has a lot to do with it. I think its just extremely poor corporate managers and the "manage to the next quarter" mentality that are so common when private equity firms enter the picture. What is also common is for the PE firm to charge a management fee to the acquired company and to load them up with debt. It adds more pressure to an already ailing business and speeds the process of selling off the pieces along. (I've seen this from the inside.) It didn't help that the back end retail systems imposed on EMS are awful - poor inventory management, awful e-commerce platform, etc.

Compare EMS to REI. REI has become a juggernaut despite price competition from e-tail. EMS and REI have largely the same inventory (down to the brands and models), similar means of getting 10% back (REI dividend vs. EMS Rewards), e-commerce platforms in place, and a robust portfolio of higher-margin private label gear and clothing (EMS being arguably better than REI), and knowledgeable employees working in the stores. The only difference being management philosophies - REI being more long term and EMS having to make this quarter's numbers.

nsherry61
04-10-2016, 08:36
. . . difference being management philosophies - REI being more long term and EMS having to make this quarter's numbers.
I heard last year that REI actually has a 50 year team in place for the sole purpose of planning for and creating a long term future for the co-op.

tiptoe
04-10-2016, 08:37
Well, if anybody needs EMS pants, they're all 40-50% off today (that was the deal for shorts yesterday). I have several pairs of their convertible pants and like them a lot. Pockets galore, quick drying, zippers work easily, etc. I'm not affiliated with EMS, just a happy customer.

Offshore
04-10-2016, 09:28
I heard last year that REI actually has a 50 year team in place for the sole purpose of planning for and creating a long term future for the co-op.

And REI's management is willing to spend the money to look in some different directions - the Evrgreen line for the urban/casual/new outdoor customers and the Coop line of more moderately priced gear as recent examples. I'm not saying that REI is some type of nostalgic mom and pop and not the outdoors retailing juggernaut it is, it just has a much healthier management philosophy than the managing to the next quarter.

Here in NJ, this philosophy is also evident in the many pharmaceutical companies in the state. Very few of them do any original research (as it would affect the bottom line), they buy other companies to get their new drug pipelines. Once there are no more to buy, they attempt to make the numbers by playing games like Pfizer recently tried with the failed Allergan inversion. In the end, they are shadows of their former selves it they exist at all.

lonehiker
04-10-2016, 09:34
I don't think e-commerce has a lot to do with it. I think its just extremely poor corporate managers and the "manage to the next quarter" mentality that are so common when private equity firms enter the picture. What is also common is for the PE firm to charge a management fee to the acquired company and to load them up with debt. It adds more pressure to an already ailing business and speeds the process of selling off the pieces along. (I've seen this from the inside.) It didn't help that the back end retail systems imposed on EMS are awful - poor inventory management, awful e-commerce platform, etc.

Compare EMS to REI. REI has become a juggernaut despite price competition from e-tail. EMS and REI have largely the same inventory (down to the brands and models), similar means of getting 10% back (REI dividend vs. EMS Rewards), e-commerce platforms in place, and a robust portfolio of higher-margin private label gear and clothing (EMS being arguably better than REI), and knowledgeable employees working in the stores. The only difference being management philosophies - REI being more long term and EMS having to make this quarter's numbers.

Actually you are wrong. I went ahead and read the article and that is a primary reason for their problems. And their inability to adapt unlike REI which has.

Jeff
04-10-2016, 13:09
Taking this as a sign that the Mom and Pop, single location outfitters can actually survive with good customer service and attention to detail.

nsherry61
04-10-2016, 16:42
I don't think e-commerce has a lot to do with it. I think its just extremely poor corporate managers and the "manage to the next quarter" mentality that are so common when private equity firms enter the picture. . .

Actually you are wrong. I went ahead and read the article and that is a primary reason for their problems. . .

And, to quote the article linked to above "If the EMS bankruptcy occurs, it would be another signal of a downward spiral in traditional outdoor retail. Online shopping sites and other factors have hurt “brick and mortar” stores nationwide."

Having been in management and outdoor retail for decades, and watching both REI and EMS over the years, I would suggest that the quoted article is jumping on the "blame e-tailing" bandwagon as an easy and obvious answer without any real evidence to support the supposition. I happen to disagree strongly, and suggest that Offshore is pretty much spot on for this one.

EMS has been a strong presence in the on-line retailing from almost the beginning of on-line outdoor retail. Other companies, REI and Backcountry.com, etc., may have done a better job recently in their implementation of their on-line business, BUT, that is now poor management of the asset, NOT lost market share because of on-line retail in general. And, one final, and interesting point, 90% of outdoor retail sales are still "brick and mortar store" sales. Surely, on-lines sales have impacted some profit from the easy cream off the top, but their impact is minor compared to overall management failure as suggested by Offshore and further supported by noting that the parent company, which is much bigger than just outdoor retail, is going down, not just the EMS part.

egilbe
04-11-2016, 05:42
Actually you are wrong. I went ahead and read the article and that is a primary reason for their problems. And their inability to adapt unlike REI which has.

Thats a management failure. Companies that thrive in the e-tailing market and have brick and mortar stores are examples of management successes. REI and LLBean are two examples.

chknfngrs
04-11-2016, 09:16
I thought Ems went thru this process before, haven't they?

Offshore
04-11-2016, 11:01

Either the article or your reading of it is wrong. EMS has had a presence in e-tail for years. The problem is that its bad because its plagued by poor inventory management and back end sales systems. That is the definition of retail management issues - how do you sell through any channel if you can't manage your SKUs and handle sales, shipping and returns with any level of competency that approaches other more successful retailers? Its also affected the brick and mortar stores, so don't be so quick to jump on the "blame e-tailing" bandwagon. Sometimes life is a bit more complicated.

DavidNH
04-11-2016, 11:50
wow I can't believe this. Much of my outdoor gear is from EMS. Been shopping there for decades. It would be sad to see them go if it happens.

Mags
04-11-2016, 12:44
EMS was where I bought the first of my "real" outdoor equipment. Their was an EMS store in the Emerald Square Mall just over the border in Massachusetts. All the outdoor stores in RI were mainly fishing based.

I still have an older EMS Glacier down coat that I still use as my "beater" puffy. Has a nice and thick nylon shell and a generous zipper versus the more modern lighter weight puffies. Very warm, too.

The EMS branded avalanche shovel is in my car right now and is a constant companion when winter backpacking...

And I bought my pair of touring skis and boots used from their rental program.

At one point the Boulder EMS was one of the top grossing EMS stores in the country. It closed..hmm, ~10 years ago now when EMS consolidated its operations all back East. Probably the first sign of their decline was this consolidation...

So it goes.

peakbagger
04-11-2016, 14:42
EMS is a trademark that has bounced around between several owners of late. At some point the original Mass (subsequently moved up to Peterboough NH) owners sold the business along with the trademark and the new owners emphasized retail and backed off on mail order. The stores got glitzier but the staff quality went down. That owner got in financial issues and I believe the business was bought back by some of the original owners. There were claims that they were going back to their original roots but not that long after they got in financial difficulties and the latest owner bought them.

REI despite being very large has always excelled at convincing folks that they are "club members" while EMS was always just a store to me. I do appreciate that REI is Co-op. As I live in a rural area I tend to order things by mail so Campmor is more my style although since I have Amazon Prime, I generally check things out if amazon has it. I used to buy a lot of LL Beans gear as I could buy 20% off coupons with Discover cash back. I swapped cards so I will be buying less Beans gear although its hard to beat the guarantee. I have a jacket that is getting returned next time I visit beans.

rocketsocks
04-11-2016, 20:05
I swung by my local EMS today taking advantage of some deals. I asked a fella that works there what the deal was with closing, he said he wasn't sure yet what was gonna happen, possibly a restructuring, but he didn't think that particular store would close. I wished him well whereever he lands. I like EMS very much, been going there for 30 years.

mattjv89
04-20-2016, 09:10
Update on the bankruptcy, looks like the brand will live on at the expense of eight stores. Guess I'm eating my words about Rutland being on the list:

http://www.wcvb.com/news/owner-of-eastern-mountain-sports-bobs-stores-files-for-bankruptcy/39088976

"The Eastern Mountain Sports locations closing include Foxborough, Mass.; Warwick, R.I.; and West Hartford, Conn. in New England. The company will also close locations in Christiana, Del.; Dulles, Va.; Moorestown, N.J.; North Brunswick, N.J. and the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia."

Trance
04-20-2016, 09:42
EMS had great people working for it.... but as a company, they were nowhere near the level of something like an REI.

peakbagger
04-20-2016, 10:01
In a packaged bankruptcy they look at the cost to run a store versus return. Frequently they have long term leases and the volume doesn't work out. With bankruptcy, they can walk away from the leases. Same with back end operations, they may have warehouse leases and other long term leases that are high cost. They all get wiped out or substantially renegotiated.

alnitak
04-20-2016, 10:38
I go to the Dulles, VA store. A week ago I was there and bought some clothes on sale...now it is in the hands of the liquidators. Funny thing is, last week I got 30-40% off a number of items. This week, in liquidation, everything is only 10% off list...even the stuff that was on the clearance rack at 40% off! Will have to wait a few weeks for the discounts to go back up...by then the shelves will be empty I suspect.

tiptoe
04-20-2016, 11:12
Our local EMS and Bob's have been spared the ax, thankfully.

Mags
04-20-2016, 11:16
Funny thing is, last week I got 30-40% off a number of items. This week, in liquidation, everything is only 10% off list...even the stuff that was on the clearance rack at 40% o.

Happened with GoLite liquidation, too. From what I understand, often times a third party liquidator will buy the individual stock in a store...the third party pretty much charges what they want. The so-called deals are often not really a deal. In the photo attached, the "sale" price is above. The previous price is below.

https://imgur.com/a/uRHPA

WingedMonkey
04-20-2016, 12:11
Here's a decent read in the LA Times on the closing of Sports Chalet's (owned by the same Vestis Retail Group as EMS).

I used to hit up Sports Chalet every time I went to California many many years ago.

Why sporting goods retailers are fumbling

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-sport-chalet-problems-20160419-story.html

Ktaadn
04-20-2016, 13:49
So, fitness went mainstream and they could no longer get away with charging their ridiculous margins for a mediocre product. Business is fascinating to me.

alnitak
04-20-2016, 14:14
Happened with GoLite liquidation, too. From what I understand, often times a third party liquidator will buy the individual stock in a store...the third party pretty much charges what they want. The so-called deals are often not really a deal. In the photo attached, the "sale" price is above. The previous price is below.

https://imgur.com/a/uRHPA

Yeah, the same thing happened recently as well with Sports Authority. It's amazing that people will come in an pay more (only 10% or 20% discount) during "liquidation" then they do when the store is open with sales.

alnitak
04-20-2016, 14:15
oops..."than they do..."

(Why isn't there an edit capability for posts??)

Mags
04-20-2016, 14:24
oops..."than they do..."

(Why isn't there an edit capability for posts??)

people who donate have this ability. $10/yr
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/payments.php

alnitak
04-20-2016, 23:56
people who donate have this ability. $10/yr http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/payments.php Ahhh...didn't know that. Thanks.

Miel
04-21-2016, 10:54
people who donate have this ability. $10/yr
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/payments.php

Done. Thanks for the link!

Sarcasm the elf
05-01-2016, 10:09
Looks like Sports Authority is shutting down and liquidating:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lauraheller/2016/04/30/sports-authority-closing-all-stores/#487516f82203

saltysack
05-01-2016, 10:12
Looks like Sports Authority is shutting down and liquidating:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lauraheller/2016/04/30/sports-authority-closing-all-stores/#487516f82203

No loss the ones near me were dumps...

sethd513
05-01-2016, 15:17
I went to a store closing yesterday and got a black diamond 2016 storm headlamp for 35$. All ems brand is 40% off and everything is atleast 20% off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mags
05-01-2016, 16:38
No loss the ones near me were dumps...

I have had good luck with their house brand clothing. My 100 wt fleece of choice was a $10 clearance item from there. I wear similar ones from them "in town" along with their their shirts. I also have their house brand duffle bag I use a lot. The one here in Boulder was good to pick up odd-ball items when I did not want to go to REI and spend more money (fuel, camp chairs, socks, gloves, etc.)

So it goes.

saltysack
05-01-2016, 17:06
I have had good luck with their house brand clothing. My 100 wt fleece of choice was a $10 clearance item from there. I wear similar ones from them "in town" along with their their shirts. I also have their house brand duffle bag I use a lot. The one here in Boulder was good to pick up odd-ball items when I did not want to go to REI and spend more money (fuel, camp chairs, socks, gloves, etc.)

So it goes.

Everything is better in CO!.....seriously! I wish I could move out west!!!!

Sarcasm the elf
02-10-2017, 12:47
The parent company that owns EMS has filed bankruptcy again.

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-east-mountain-bankruptcy-20170207-story.html

It's a shame, it's been such a good store to it's customers over the years. A lot of my favorite gear is from their store brand.

Mags
02-10-2017, 13:37
It's a shame, it's been such a good store to it's customers over the years. A lot of my favorite gear is from their store brand.

Their house brand shovel is something I still use ever winter. I've had it since 1999. As a native East Coaster, I'll always have a spot for EMS. It is where I bought some my first "real" outdoor gear. And the EMS branded old-school Michelin man puffy is something I use quite a bit as well for a lot winter desert trips. Have it in the car right now for a trip this weekend!

Many times when outdoor stores get bought, the new corporate owners aren't sure how to properly manage them. Happened to a local outdoor store in Boulder (http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-business/ci_30479274/boulders-neptune-mountaineering-facing-eviction-over-70k-unpaid) as well. But sometimes it works out, too... (http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-business/ci_30714461/boulders-neptune-mountaineering-discusses-sale-sea-summit) Hopefully, EMS will have similar luck.

https://i2.wp.com/www.pmags.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/shovel.jpg?w=375

Cookerhiker
02-10-2017, 18:49
...Many times when outdoor stores get bought, the new corporate owners aren't sure how to properly manage them. Happened to a local outdoor store in Boulder (http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-business/ci_30479274/boulders-neptune-mountaineering-facing-eviction-over-70k-unpaid) as well....

Ah yes, I remember. Just when I published my book. My impression was that the locals were interested in buying it but they had to defer to corporate in Austin. Never heard from them. Oh well...

KTX
02-11-2017, 13:17
Ah yes, I remember. Just when I published my book. My impression was that the locals were interested in buying it but they had to defer to corporate in Austin. Never heard from them. Oh well...

Previously worked for said company in Austin, ie Backwoods. Very sad to see the incompetence and mismanagement of the Corporate office (CEO/Buyers) destroy the company, boy do I have stories. They have closed about half their stores this year and it doesn't look great for the rest of them.

It's a shame what happened to Neptune, completely preventable. Though there is hope for Neptune right now. The shops were the best places to work with the best people, unfortunately corporate never understood the loyalty the sales floor associates had, damn shame.

Biggest lesson I learned working at Backwoods, at the end of the day the only person looking out for you is yourself. No loyalty in the business world.

NY HIKER 50
02-11-2017, 13:50
Folks,
If you looked at the date of the article that was back in April 2016. They closed all the stores in NYC. Their online is still going but if I really need something I have to go to some store to see it. This has been ongoing. You may hate me but I have no loyalty. One place goes I simply go to another. I've learned this a long time ago. With all the stores going poof! that's the only way I can operate. There is one store in NYC I won't go to since the moment you walk in they're standing over yo

NY HIKER 50
02-11-2017, 13:57
People these are all old articles!! The stores have already closed. Why are you acting like they are current????

Sarcasm the elf
02-11-2017, 14:03
The parent company that owns EMS has filed bankruptcy again.

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-east-mountain-bankruptcy-20170207-story.html

Folks,
If you looked at the date of the article that was back in April 2016. They closed all the stores in NYC. Their online is still going but if I really need something I have to go to some store to see it. This has been ongoing. You may hate me but I have no loyalty. One place goes I simply go to another. I've learned this a long time ago. With all the stores going poof! that's the only way I can operate. There is one store in NYC I won't go to since the moment you walk in they're standing over yo

Check the link above, they filed again last week.

Water Rat
02-11-2017, 14:30
People these are all old articles!! The stores have already closed. Why are you acting like they are current????

There are EMS stores that are still open - maybe not near you, but EMS does still have retail locations.

NY HIKER 50
02-11-2017, 14:43
Wait! Aren't Bob's stores owned by the same parent company? They need capitol. This looks bad. I guess they changed their name for bankruptcy purposes.

Yep, according to Wikipedia "Bob's Stores is a chain of 35 retail stores (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retail_store) in the northeastern United States (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States) owned by Versa Capital Management."

Oops.

Patrickjd9
02-11-2017, 15:49
Their house brand shovel is something I still use ever winter. I've had it since 1999. As a native East Coaster, I'll always have a spot for EMS. It is where I bought some my first "real" outdoor gear. And the EMS branded old-school Michelin man puffy is something I use quite a bit as well for a lot winter desert trips.

I've owned a Gore-Tex/Down EMS winter coat for nearly 20 years. The Gaithersburg, MD store I bought it from is long gone.

rafe
02-11-2017, 17:07
Wait! Aren't Bob's stores owned by the same parent company? They need capitol. This looks bad. I guess they changed their name for bankruptcy purposes.

Yep, according to Wikipedia "Bob's Stores is a chain of 35 retail stores (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retail_store) in the northeastern United States (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States) owned by Versa Capital Management."

Oops.

A few weeks after I started this thread I bought an EMS-branded rain jacket at a local "Bobs" store. Not all of the retail stores have closed. I believe the one in Concord NH off Rte. 9 is still open.

Traveler
02-12-2017, 07:44
Much as Mag's experience was, my first real high level outdoor gear was from EMS. It not only was hearty, I still have a lot of things I have purchased there over the years that is in great shape. Fortunately, they have a location not far from me, however my experience with the durability of EMS private labeled gear over others would get me to their website if there wasn't a store nearby.

Good luck, EMS!

Sandy of PA
02-12-2017, 10:45
The EMS store near me closed 8 years ago, but I still have the same little shovel that Mags has, I carry it in my van every winter.

rocketsocks
02-12-2017, 12:27
My local store made last years cut, and I got some pretty good deals on consolidated inventory that came in from other stores and online. Sounds like it's time to stock up on some favorites.

mattjv89
02-12-2017, 12:52
Sounds like some of the stores will remain open since the article mentions saving 1,900 jobs? Details are a little thin as to how this will be resolved. I won't be a bit surprised if the Rutland VT location gets it on this round of closings though, I was actually surprised they did stay open through the first round of bankruptcy. The entire mall it's housed in is struggling I can't imagine the store doing much better.

blue indian
02-12-2017, 13:13
Not directly related to EMS, but I thought it was relative

the Half Moon Outfitters in Atlanta is closing their store as well...

NY HIKER 50
02-12-2017, 16:38
Sounds like some of the stores will remain open since the article mentions saving 1,900 jobs? Details are a little thin as to how this will be resolved. I won't be a bit surprised if the Rutland VT location gets it on this round of closings though, I was actually surprised they did stay open through the first round of bankruptcy. The entire mall it's housed in is struggling I can't imagine the store doing much better.

According to some news sources, the days of malls may be numbered as well. Let's face it, Sears is gone, Macy's is closing and many other stores are going bye bye as well. It is because of online sales. Better to get your going out of business sales and just move to the next place. As I've said before, I really have no brand loyalty. How many stoves or t-shirts do you really need?

Cheyou
02-12-2017, 17:36
According to some news sources, the days of malls may be numbered as well. Let's face it, Sears is gone, Macy's is closing and many other stores are going bye bye as well. It is because of online sales. Better to get your going out of business sales and just move to the next place. ,no As I've said before, I really have no brand loyalty. How many stoves or t-shirts do you really need?

No brand loyalty? So you don't buy the same frozen food brand or soda , beer tea, coffee , tooth paste , wine , pants ? Honestly ;0)

Traveler
02-13-2017, 07:24
According to some news sources, the days of malls may be numbered as well. Let's face it, Sears is gone, Macy's is closing and many other stores are going bye bye as well. It is because of online sales. Better to get your going out of business sales and just move to the next place. As I've said before, I really have no brand loyalty. How many stoves or t-shirts do you really need?

The better question would be, how many stoves or t-shirts would you like to look at closely before you purchase? While you can look at stoves via internet shopping and shipping, getting them sometimes reveals things about them you don't like and would have discarded them at the store in favor of another. This can potentially take weeks if trial and error shopping is used.

I much prefer to see some selection and be able to look them over to compare features as you can in brick and mortar stores.

rafe
02-13-2017, 09:38
I much prefer to see some selection and be able to look them over to compare features as you can in brick and mortar stores.

Even better, hit the trail and watch what other hikers are using, wearing or carrying. That's not to say you must do as they do. But that's really where it matters, not inside a store, even a brick-and-mortar store.

I was amazed, years ago, to see people un-boxing their shiny new stoves, firing them up for the very first time, on the first evening of a thru hike. I wanted to say something but didn't. They were nice folks. Not at all nuts.

The Scribe
02-13-2017, 12:31
There are EMS stores that are still open - maybe not near you, but EMS does still have retail locations.

Portland, Maine is still open.

Thinspace
02-13-2017, 13:46
In my immediate area in NH, Manchester, Salem, Peterborough, Portsmouth, Concord, Nashua and North Conway are still open

Doc
02-13-2017, 14:21
Portland, Maine is still open.

Thanks. I plan to stop in this week but the techno-music drives me crazy. They are certainly looking for a different demographic than this old hiker.

full conditions
02-13-2017, 15:55
I have no brand loyalty. In fact, I have the opposite. I'm a brand traitor. One week I'll buy Nantahala brand ale then I'll turn around and drink Highland Gaelic Ale without a second thought.

-Rush-
02-14-2017, 03:02
I love brick and mortar stores, but I rarely go to them anymore if I can find it online. The other day I wanted a water bottle sling, so I thought I'd make a pit-stop by before my hike. I went to REI and they had nothing except $60 "runner" gear (yes, runners pay stupid markup to look fancy), so I left there and went across the street to Dick's Sporting Goods which is bigger than REI. They had nothing. I wasted at least 30 minutes of my life/hike looking for something in stores that should have carried it. When I got home I found exactly what I needed in 5 minutes for $7.99.

rocketsocks
02-14-2017, 12:31
I love brick and mortar stores, but I rarely go to them anymore if I can find it online. The other day I wanted a water bottle sling, so I thought I'd make a pit-stop by before my hike. I went to REI and they had nothing except $60 "runner" gear (yes, runners pay stupid markup to look fancy), so I left there and went across the street to Dick's Sporting Goods which is bigger than REI. They had nothing. I wasted at least 30 minutes of my life/hike looking for something in stores that should have carried it. When I got home I found exactly what I needed in 5 minutes for $7.99.ironic isn't it, we shop on line and can't find in stores what we want and wonder why.

colorado_rob
02-14-2017, 14:33
ironic isn't it, we shop on line and can't find in stores what we want and wonder why.I don't wonder why, nor should anyone else. It's a catch 22 thing... better selection and lower prices online reduce demand for brick and mortar store items, forcing them to carry fewer items and not enable them to compete with pricing, so they get less and less desirable to shop at and it all snowballs. REI has somehow managed to survive and thrive with their awesome customer service and their size/sale volume allows them to compete, plus their "co-op" concept and dividend thing.

I do miss good old EMS here in Colorado, I used to make the extra drive to shop there (REI's were closer to my house). I bought and thoroughly wore out a number of their items, including one of my favorite all-time technical mountaineering jackets and pants.

Here's me (in yellow EMS jacket, you can just see the logo if you zoom) wearing or carrying a bunch of EMS items.

rocketsocks
02-14-2017, 18:24
I don't wonder why, nor should anyone else. It's a catch 22 thing... better selection and lower prices online reduce demand for brick and mortar store items, forcing them to carry fewer items and not enable them to compete with pricing, so they get less and less desirable to shop at and it all snowballs. REI has somehow managed to survive and thrive with their awesome customer service and their size/sale volume allows them to compete, plus their "co-op" concept and dividend thing.

I do miss good old EMS here in Colorado, I used to make the extra drive to shop there (REI's were closer to my house). I bought and thoroughly wore out a number of their items, including one of my favorite all-time technical mountaineering jackets and pants.

Here's me (in yellow EMS jacket, you can just see the logo if you zoom) wearing or carrying a bunch of EMS items.
This gets a "Like"