PDA

View Full Version : Holly Brook crossings north of Caratunk and current bug levels?

rdljr
04-09-2016, 16:05
Does anyone know how bad the crossings would be going north from 201 in Caratunk? I was thinking of doing 201 to Moxie road as it seems that the need for snow shoes has departed for the year, but the "brook" crossings have me concerned as I think they might be high.

Also are the bugs out already or do I have a couple of low bug weeks left?

Thanks

tdoczi
04-09-2016, 16:34
Does anyone know how bad the crossings would be going north from 201 in Caratunk? I was thinking of doing 201 to Moxie road as it seems that the need for snow shoes has departed for the year, but the "brook" crossings have me concerned as I think they might be high.

Also are the bugs out already or do I have a couple of low bug weeks left?

Thanks

this is perhaps entirely irrelevant information, but last year when i was there in august i dont recall any fords that even at higher water would present any sort of issue. are there any of note that go essentially bone dry by august?

rdljr
04-09-2016, 18:20
Maine guide map list two Holly brook crossings before a "wide ford of Baker stream. Can be difficult in high water" I plan to turn around before Baker but the other brooks the guide does not indicate how big or bad they are.

In August I would expect then to be not much more than a land mark for judging distance, Last year in the area there were lack of water issues.

Slo-go'en
04-09-2016, 21:34
There are currently flood warnings out for that area of Maine. I would not recommend going up there for at least another month to let things settle down. Bad, bad time of year to be there.