PDA

View Full Version : Blog: Morning Routine

12trysomething
04-10-2016, 06:49
Get Up & Go or Relax & Chill?

Which do you prefer?

Check out my latest blog on the subject.

http://www.backpackingadventures.net/blog/params/post/825312/morning-routine

Thanks,

Rob

Turtle-2013
04-10-2016, 08:51
Up and Go .... in the summer because it is going to get hot, and I want to hike in the cool of the morning ... and in the fall->spring because it is cold and the best way to stay warm is to hike.

Tipi Walter
04-10-2016, 10:48
Neato blog and I hope to copy some entries to read on my next backpacking trip in May.

Before a long trip (18-21 days) I set up a detailed schedule with every night planned at a different campsite in the big area I am traveling thru. I find striking camp and moving every day is important to keep trip momentum going (and to stick with my schedule).

I always set an overall goal for each trip: Reach that Lost Valley far north, hike up that Nutbuster trail, explore a new watershed etc. This keeps the trip on course. And I gather all pertinent maps and info before each trip.

ZERO DAYS IN THE TENT
These happen not by choice as I'm not a basecamper at heart and need to move every day. See above. But sometimes you have no choice:
** Long Rainstorms at 35F. Stay put, read a book, write in the journal. This also includes sitting put before a creek crossing to allow the high flood waters to go down enough to cross.

** Snowstorm-Blizzards with deep snow and high winds. Hang out time. When a tent is in 3 feet of snow it's best just to pull a zero and wait it out. You won't be going far postholing anyway.

** Severe Coldstorms whereby temps dip to -10F. Who wants to pack up a perfectly good tent ice-locked in deep cold?

** Trip Illnesses including vomiting or weakness or food poisoning etc.

** Spiritual reasons like an in-tent vision quest or Fasting or building a sweat lodge nearby.

mitch
04-13-2016, 16:12
Get up and go, I rather hike than camp. That said, I do like 2 cups of coffee first.

Studlintsean
04-13-2016, 16:53
N
** Trip Illnesses including vomiting or weakness or food poisoning etc.

You sure you are feeling alright Tipi? Normally this would include all sorts of other pleasant descriptions.

I normally take my time getting out of camp in the AM. I do not fart around too long but one of my favorite aspects of backpacking is the lack of schedule. In my daily life I wake up at the same time everyday, shower, take the same train, get to work at the same time, work the same hours, etc. I am normally out of camp in about an hour though.

Tipi Walter
04-13-2016, 17:26
You sure you are feeling alright Tipi? Normally this would include all sorts of other pleasant descriptions.

All backpackers get sick on occasion, either due to bad food combinations, digestive distress, actual food poisoning, explosive sharting, head colds or sinus infections, fevers etc. Many thruhiker trip report accounts include bouts with such problems.

nsherry61
04-13-2016, 17:43
Routine? Hmm.

- When on my own in decent weather, I typically get up, pack up and then hit the trail. I maybe eat some pop-tarts, or a cliff bar, or other mixed snacks for breakfast. I also, sometimes eat a small snack as I get underway and then stop in a warm sunny spot to boil water for a warm breakfast after hiking for 30 minutes to maybe 1.5 hrs or so. So, wake up and be on the trail in 15 to 30 minutes.
- When the weather sucks and I want a warm breakfast, I may boil some water and eat breakfast while still sitting in my sleeping bag. Then I pack up and go. So, wake up and be on the trail in 45-60 minutes.
- In the winter, pretty much the same options as listed above, but maybe a bit more frequently making a warm breakfast. I normally make water at night for the next morning, so melting snow doesn't have much effect on my morning routine.
- When hiking with my wife and/or kids, always a hot breakfast and 1-1.5 hrs from waking up to hiking.

Dogwood
04-13-2016, 18:20
Whatever the on trail morning routine it's better than the morning routine of logging onto WB opining about on trail morning routine. :D