PDA

View Full Version : jacket and base layering confusion

Kestrelchick
04-10-2016, 15:42
I have been trying to research through various feeds/posts and I am still confused :-) My son and I are planning an AT thru-hike leaving March 1, 2017 and I know that we will need to worry about the cold weather (add on top that we are living in Florida so cold is like a foreign word for us - we have been in the Smokies and other parts of the country in the late fall and winter so we have at least experienced cold). I am trying to figure out layer/jacket choice/configurations....I know we are looking at a Patagonia Capilene layer, then something like the Patagonia R1 hoodie and then the Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer Down Jacket. I am confused as to what Capilene layer we should look at getting and do you just use that as your bottom shirt and nothing else like thermal/long undies under it? As far as jackets - I get confused as to what you put over the Ghost Whisperer Down....rain/wind jacket or a hardshell? We definitely want to make sure we bring the right clothes for the job but don't want to bring more items than we really need. Would love to hear from some people who would be willing to share their layering choices? Thanks!

Maui Rhino
04-10-2016, 19:25
My layering system consists of a moisture wicking layer next to the skin...usually a cheap Champion, Russell, or Starter Tee and briefs from Walmart. Next I add a baselayer when temps start to drop. Currently thats 100wt UA Cold Gear. Next I add a fleece top or down jacket. I also carry a Patagonia Houdini windshirt, and will use either or both as conditions warrant. If moisture threatens, I put on my rain jacket....currently a North Face HyVent, but there are other lighter options. I've used this down to the mid-20's, but living in Maui, I don't have to deal with snow, and bitter cold temps usually go away once the sun comes up if I'm up around 10000' elevation. If I was doing some extended hiking in snow, which you'll have in March on the AT, I'd probably carry some 200wt baselayers instead of 100wt. Otherwise my system would stay the same. Don't forget your gloves and fleece beanie.

bigcranky
04-10-2016, 19:43
Yeah, it'll be cold in the Southern Appalachians with a March 1 start.

Base layer - something light and wicking. Capilene is good, though not the most inexpensive synthetic. Get Cap 2 at the heaviest. I prefer merino wool in the 150-weight, as it never starts to smell bad. You don't want this to be warm by itself, because you don't want it to get soaked with sweat. You'll wear it all the time.

A fleece pullover is a good next layer, I like a microfleece but the R1 would work (or the Capilene 4). I can hike in it on very cold days, or wear it around camp, or sleep in it.

Down jacket for breaks and camp. Also used inside the sleeping bag for extra warmth. I prefer one with a hood.

Then I always bring a waterproof breathable shell layer, top and bottom. Needed in bad weather, of course, but also a warm outer layer when needed.

Most of the time I add a 3-ounce single layer wind shirt with a hood (Patagonia Houdini) - this is a great layer over a base layer or the fleece layer on cold windy days.

For my legs I bring light merino long john bottoms, nylon shorts, rain pants, and if it's cold enough, some sort of fleece tights. Wool socks, down booties for camp and sleeping (https://goosefeetgear.com/) (trust me on this :) ).

A light fleece beanie or balaclava (Powerstretch is great for hiking, then something warmer for camp (could be your down parka hood), same with gloves. I like very light windproof gloves to hike in, and heavier windblock fleece gloves for breaks, camp, and very cold days hiking. I find rain shell mitts very useful, I like the Zpacks style.

Happy trails!

gbolt
04-10-2016, 19:51
Layering Choices:
Wicking Short Sleeve T-Shirt and or Ibex or Icebreaker Merino Wool Crew Long Sleeve Shirt.
Patagonia Cap 4 Pro Zip Mid Layer
Windshirt and or Marmot Pre Cip Jacket for Rain and when Winshirt is not quite warm enough.
I have not been cold when hiking with a pack on. I regulate temp with head covering and Windshirt or Pre Cip on or off.
Montbell UL Down Jacket for Camp non sweat only.
Use a Patagonia Cap 2 Top and Bottom for Dry Warm Sleep Cloths but could use as base layer to get me out of the woods in extreme condition.
I have a Buff and Balaclava, Micro Dome Beanie and then a Black Rock Original Down Cap (for Camp and Sleep). I also use an Outdoor Research Swift Cap that combined with the Buff is my go to head covering above 30º.
Wristies, Polypro Glove Liners and Wool Mittens. Wristies I wear almost 24/7 when backpacking.
I am alway's surprised at how warm I hike with very low layers. Often just the Merino Wool is needed above 30º; however, a great deal depends on wind and humidity.
Your on the right track, keep researching and don't undersell the importance of head covering and Merino Wool.

Kestrelchick
04-10-2016, 21:25
thanks guys for the replies - I really appreciate it - it gets SO overwhelming with all the choices out there - for the top wind/shell jacket I was looking at things like the Marmot Precip, Marmot Zion, Arc'teryx Alpha SL, and the Patagonia Houdini

we have purchased a balaclava for each of us along with a buff, and bought some pretty awesome Dachstein boiled wool mittens and will be wearing those over some liners (still figuring those out) and have been looking at a rain mitt to go over the wool mittens. I got a fun wool outside/fleece inside Everest Designs ear-flap hat...and have been looking at the Black Rock cap... My son has a 15 degree Sierra Designs Zissou 3S with a silk liner and I am stuck between a Western Mountaineering Alpinlite and a 15 degree Marmot Helium Down bag...the last thing I want to find out is that we did not plan enough for the cold - I am an "old fart" at 47 and want to give us as much time as possible - hence the early start date :-) Thanks so much for all the help!!

Secondmouse
04-10-2016, 21:32
I follow the line of thought that you'll need one set of clothing while active and you'll supplement that with layers while stationary. I could tell you what I use but Andrew Skurka gives a pretty good analysis in his article "Core 13 Backpacking Clothing for 3-Seasons" --

http://andrewskurka.com/2015/backpacking-clothing-systems-3-season-conditions/

Don H
04-18-2016, 08:01
I remember planning my thru and clothing was the most difficult decisions I had to make.

Here's what I took to start off with in mid March:

Clothing:
Socks - 3 pairs of Smartwool Hiker socks (one pair for sleeping only)
Underwear - 2 pair Exofficio boxer briefs (prevents chaffing)
Undershirt - 1 short sleeve synthetic T shirt
Long sleeve - 1 Smartwool mid-weight
Pants - Northface convertible (zip offs also good for when it's warm)
Insulated Layer - Patagonia down sweater

Rain gear: (also worn in town while washing clothes)
Jacket - Togg Frogg UL jacket
Pants - Patagonia Houdini wind pants

After Pearisburg I swapped out the wind pants for a pair of lightweight shorts.

Depending on when you start and your tolerance to cold you might add a lightweight fleece jacket for hiking in.
I found that when I was hiking even in the coldest weather the long pants and long sleeve wool shirt was all I needed to keep warm. The only exception was during extremely cold windy days when I needed to wear the rain gear as a wind breaker.

Hope this helps, enjoy your hike!