PDA

View Full Version : Sock Liners - Yay or Nay?

TheWhiteWalker
04-10-2016, 21:44
I have never tried sock liners before but I do see quite a bit of gear videos showing hikers with them. I do wear Darn Tough low cut socks with trail running shoes. I currently do not have any issues with that setup but I have not fully put my feet to the test of a thru hike which I will be doing soon. What's your thoughts on sock liners... Yay or Nay?

Sarcasm the elf
04-10-2016, 21:45
It's personal preference...

...I personally can't stand using them.

Turtle-2013
04-10-2016, 21:49
Almost never hike without them ... has worked well for me for 45+ years ... but if what you are doing works for you, stick with it. Or as my father (and many fathers) would say ... "It it ain't broke, don't fix it"

rocketsocks
04-10-2016, 21:50
I used to say yay, now I say nay, but it also depends, mostly a winter thing for comfort.

MuddyWaters
04-10-2016, 23:23
If u need them, use them
If u dont, dont

Pretty simple

If you have to ask, you need to get out and hike and find out if you need them.

Vegan Packer
04-11-2016, 03:33
I wear them as my socks, and I don't wear socks over them. I love the Injinji toe sock liners. Coomax material keeps my feet from getting too hot, and I haven't had a blister since making the switch.

http://www.injinji.com/liner-crew.html

bigcranky
04-11-2016, 06:55
I wore them with big heavy all leather boots and I still got blisters. When I switched to trail runners and wool socks I no longer needed liners.

chknfngrs
04-11-2016, 09:15
Only in winter, otherwise not needed imho

Bronk
04-11-2016, 09:51
I never had a blister in 850 miles on the AT and I used sock liners. Since then I've occasionally gotten a blister on a weekend trip when I haven't worn them. A cheap substitute, or if you just want to try it, buy some nylon dress socks at Walmart for a couple bucks...its the same thing.

Deacon
04-11-2016, 10:02
I've always had a problem with blisters under my toes on long distance hikes. My foot surgeon took X-rays of my feet, and it's just a matter of the way the bones are formed in my toes. I started wearing Injinji liners, the kind that fit over the toes like a glove, and I've never had a blister since.

So it depends on every persons feet as to whether a liner is needed; everyone's feet are different.

soumodeler
04-11-2016, 10:30
I wear Darn Tough socks with my trail runners. I normally don't wear liners. but once tried Injinji toe sock liners and noticed no difference in my feet after hiking. I guess there really wasn't anything to fix to start with.

displacedbeatnik
04-11-2016, 10:44
I have a big problem personally with sore spots by my big toenails on a regular basis (and yes I keep them cut). Since I started wearing Injinjis, this has gone away while hiking. So it all depends. But I recommend trying injinjis if you get toe pain for sure.

ktest
04-11-2016, 13:06
For me it depends on which socks I wear over them -- pretty much always with wool socks. I don't use socks actually marketed as liners though, I use trouser socks (women's size 6.5 so I usually buy them from the little boys' section).

BobTheBuilder
04-11-2016, 13:17
It is definitely a trial and error thing, which is too bad. My system has evolved into toe sock liners with a thick wool sock over. The effect of the toes in the socks is that they keep the liner anchored so it doesn't slide around on my foot, then the relative movement is between the liner sock and the wool sock Works for me better than anything else I've tried.

shelterbuilder
04-11-2016, 17:51
As noted, it's a personal decision based on trial and error. For ME, they seem to work. I may have "warm spots" by the end of the day, but by morning, my feet are ready to go again with no real damage. I should note that I always wear wool socks - summer or winter - and can notice a lack of full-blown blisters when wearing liners under my wool socks. (My take on it is that the liners tend to conform tightly to my feet, so that the liners - and not my skin - are what rubs against the wool socks. YMMV)

lonehiker
04-11-2016, 18:54
Just one more thing to stink. Train only wearing one pair of socks and your feet will adapt.

theoilman
04-11-2016, 20:24
For me adding injinji toe sock liners stopped 95% of blisters. I was having problems with blisters between my toes.

BonBon
04-11-2016, 21:29
yay,Injinji. Stops that crooked toes nail from digging into the neighbor toe too. Till you have a chance to clip it.

CamelMan
04-11-2016, 23:10
I wear them as my socks, and I don't wear socks over them. I love the Injinji toe sock liners. Coomax material keeps my feet from getting too hot, and I haven't had a blister since making the switch.

That's so crazy that it just might work. :) I don't have blister problems but it would be worth a try for comfort since I walk right through streams and puddles. It's not like I need the warmth most of the time.

Another Kevin
04-11-2016, 23:59
Even merino wool makes my feet itch. I wear the thinnest nylon or polyester dress socks that I can find as liners. Works pretty well. In winter I wear a vapor barrier between them and my socks.

daddytwosticks
04-12-2016, 07:21
That's so crazy that it just might work. :) I don't have blister problems but it would be worth a try for comfort since I walk right through streams and puddles. It's not like I need the warmth most of the time.

In warmer weather, I usually wear TWO pair of sock liners. My feet sweat really badly and tend to stay cooler with two thin pair of socks. Plus blisters are usually non-existent. :)

JLorenzo77
04-12-2016, 07:53
For me it depends on the weather and the terrain. I generally use them in the cooler months for sure and when I'm trudging through snow.

Marta
04-12-2016, 09:18
Not for me. One of the factors in blisters is heat. Thin socks plus well-ventilated running shoes or Chacos are my summer wear.

Winter is another matter altogether.

colorado_rob
04-12-2016, 09:29
Similar to the "boxer/brief" "arguments", purely personal preference.

"Yay" for me.

I have used liners (fox river brand these days) for a couple decades, pretty much since they came out, and I never, ever get blisters, so there is no way I'd change anything 'cause it ain't broke. It's nice having a two-layer sock system, many times I'll just wear liners, most times both (I think liners keep my feet cool, not hot), rarely only the main socks.

Deacon
04-12-2016, 11:14
Even merino wool makes my feet itch. I wear the thinnest nylon or polyester dress socks that I can find as liners. Works pretty well. In winter I wear a vapor barrier between them and my socks.

I'm making the change this season from wool to the thinner dress socks, worn as an outer pair over Injinji liners. Wool over liners left my feet very hot, and tended to stay wet too long. I'm hoping the dress socks will be cooler and dry more quickly.

I wanted nylon, but the local stores only have black or white. I found a brown and tan color on the JC Penney website.

QiWiz
04-12-2016, 13:42
Some people swear by sock liners, other swear at them. I use liners 100% of the time on trail, because my feet do better with them. Thin synthetic ones in warm weather, and thin merino ones in cold weather. Usually hike in trail runners (except in winter snow). You should try with and without on relatively high mileage days while carrying a pack and see what works for you.

Bearleg
04-12-2016, 17:45
I have found wearing them inside out helps. It puts the raw edge of the toe seam away from my toes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkraM
04-12-2016, 20:00
My favorite answer...wait for it...”It depends”. A personal decision based on experience, shoe type, and sometimes weather. I stopped using them when I switched from leather boots to lightweight hiking shoes. Proper fitting shoes and a lighter pack alleviated the need for them.

Del Q
04-12-2016, 20:36
A friend who is an FBI sniper shared a Special Forces trick, women's knee high panty hose with foot powder. Started this routine like 5 years ago, no blisters since. None. Before that, every hike I got blisters

Stitches
04-12-2016, 20:53
I always wear them--never had a blister. The outside sock moves with the boot--the inside sock stays put with my foot. No rubbing, no blister.

Stevep311
04-13-2016, 11:55

http://www.injinji.com/liner-crew.html

I just did 37.5 miles in 1 day using Injinji toes socks and did not have a blister, whereas I used to always get them before. They are great for me!

Julio Garcia
04-15-2016, 17:04
Wouldn't hike without them. Section hiked for 4 years and have never had a blister!

poolskaterx
04-15-2016, 18:58
Sometimes liners make my feet feel like they are slipping around in my boot. I generally just use REI wool socks; good price and really tough compared to many other brands I have worn out.

twistwrist
04-16-2016, 18:15
I used Ininji liners and loved them! My early thru-hike blisters were no more once I started using liners and a touch of Body Glide.

JohnHuth
04-16-2016, 18:43
Liners in boots, wool socks when in trail runners. My own go-to scheme. I can put up with the extra washing and stink. I wear boots in colder temps and more challenging terrain. I always, always use Gold-Bond powder.

saltysack
04-16-2016, 19:14
Used to get blisters..tried liners and seemed to help but have since ditched them and just lube up my feet and toes every morning with skin glide..works great even coming off the couch to doing 20+ days...liners were a pita as I always air out my feet mid day while breaking to eat...more crap to put back on...2 pair of DT socks that I wash and alternate daily has made a huge difference for ME.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketsocks
04-16-2016, 21:50
I like "wright sock" so it should be mentioned that it has a double wall (if you will) and therefore is really like a sock and liner combo. Pretty darn comfortable sock I think.

squeezebox
04-17-2016, 11:47
Has anybody mentioned using antipersprant on your feet to help keep them dryer.