PDA

View Full Version : Trash bag liner

garminator
04-10-2016, 22:24
Ok, so I bought a trash compactor bag to line the inside of my pack with and I noticed that it's "Clean fresh scented". Should that be a concern regarding bears? I know that it sounds crazy but everything that I've read indicates to avoid having anything with a scent inside your pack/tent. Any advice wood be much appreciated

Hikingjim
04-10-2016, 22:54
Personally I would only take along unscented bags

Sarcasm the elf
04-10-2016, 23:04
I wouldn't worry about it in terms of bears. However in terms of mice and other small four legged nuisances, that might be a concern.

garminator
04-11-2016, 07:27
The bag's out, thanks guys

gbolt
04-11-2016, 18:56
If you have time, you can pull them out of the box and air them out in the garage. It does not take long for them to loose the scent rather than waste the money.

garminator
04-11-2016, 19:06
I wish i'd thought of that sooner gbolt, i'm heading to Springer this Wednesday! but thanks for the advice

Sarcasm the elf
04-11-2016, 20:07
It you have any heavy duty "lawn and leaf" contractor cleanup" garbage bags lying around those will do just fine as well. I use the 3m contractor type bags they sell at home depot since we usually have a roll of them at the house anyway.

Singto
05-07-2016, 05:42
It you have any heavy duty "lawn and leaf" contractor cleanup" garbage bags lying around those will do just fine as well. I use the 3m contractor type bags they sell at home depot since we usually have a roll of them at the house anyway.

Do these hold up as well as the trash compactor bags?

Greenlight
05-07-2016, 09:13
The REI Flash 65 pack I recently bought has a neat design feature: a J zipper that allows outside access to the main compartment from the outside. Only problem is, if I want to use a trash compactor bag...yeah. I can't get to my stuff. So I'm bound to stuff sacks. Trading ease of access for weight savings and lower cost. Unless someone can find a way to put a J zipper in a compactor trash bag.

colorado_rob
05-07-2016, 09:41
Do these hold up as well as the trash compactor bags?No. Just suck it up and get a new box of unscented TC bags. You can use the scented one for "kitchen bags" so you at least get some use out of them.

nsherry61
05-07-2016, 11:38
. . .Only problem is, if I want to use a trash compactor bag...yeah. I can't get to my stuff . . . Unless someone can find a way to put a J zipper in a compactor trash bag.
Just twist closed the compactor bag with the opening at the J zip instead of at the top.

Venchka
05-07-2016, 14:01
Do these hold up as well as the trash compactor bags?

Buy a box. Try to break/puncture one. My only concern with the contractor bags is the size and weight. Toughness is not a concern.

Wayne

dgoggins
05-07-2016, 18:00
I used to use trash compactor bags...but recently made the switch to nylofume bags. They are odor proof if sealed, and lighter, and seemed to be more puncture resistance than trash compactor bags.