PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here with a question or two!

JLorenzo77
04-11-2016, 08:27
I'm excited to have found this place!

I'm a novice hiker but enjoy the activity very much. I was all set to backpack the Maryland portion of the trail later this month (I live in Maryland) when I dislocated my right shoulder 5 weeks ago. It's been 5 weeks of no hiking. My legs are fine but it's the pack weight issue. I have decided instead to do two 20-mile day hikes in a couple of weeks and had two questions for you all.

1) Has anyone ever done Maryland in two long day hikes? I've covered most of the terrain in shorter hikes and I am excited but nervous for this challenge. Fortunately I will only be carrying food and water and small items on my back and will be sleeping in my own bed.
2) Does anyone have experience with hiking after dislocating a shoulder? It's mostly fine though if I move the arm a bit in the wrong way, it reminds me that it isn't fully healed.

I see my doctor next Monday, three days before I am set to do these.

I will take my trekking poles and walk carefully.

Thanks so much for the advice and for welcoming me into your community!

-Josh

illabelle
04-11-2016, 08:54
Well, there is this, the challenge of hiking 4 states in 24 hours:

http://www.blueridgeoutdoors.com/go-outside/hiking/24-hours-in-maryland-the-four-state-challenge/

Some could do it, not me.
Welcome to WhiteBlaze Josh. Hope you stick around.
:)

rafe
04-11-2016, 09:04
Certainly doable. People do it in a day. Thru-hikers do it in two, two-and-a-half, with packs. The northernmost few miles of MD are rocky, but by and large, the trail in MD is flat and easy walking.

The site of the old Washington Monument might be a good place to end the first day and start the second, but there are several other road crossings (trailheads) you could choose from.

JLorenzo77
04-11-2016, 09:34
Illabelle - Thanks. I plan on sticking around! That challenge I've heard of. I need to be a little more seasoned! Ha!

JLorenzo77
04-11-2016, 09:35
Thanks Rafe. I was thinking of ending day one at route 40 and I-70 but I agree that it might be good to put in a few extra miles and get closer to Harper's Ferry. Do you know if the parking at Washington Monument is open 24 hours? Not sure if it's gated.

rafe
04-11-2016, 09:52
Thanks Rafe. I was thinking of ending day one at route 40 and I-70 but I agree that it might be good to put in a few extra miles and get closer to Harper's Ferry. Do you know if the parking at Washington Monument is open 24 hours? Not sure if it's gated.

Don't know, I was there on foot, as a section hiker. Hopefully someone with local knowledge will chime in.

JLorenzo77
04-11-2016, 10:01
Thanks again. When did you do your section hike of Maryland? I love the trail up here. I slipped and dislocated my shoulder at Black Rock but other than that, good memories. :)

rafe
04-11-2016, 10:08
Thanks again. When did you do your section hike of Maryland? I love the trail up here. I slipped and dislocated my shoulder at Black Rock but other than that, good memories. :)

Late summer 2007. I doubt the trail itself has changed much. ;)

Water Rat
04-11-2016, 10:10
2) Does anyone have experience with hiking after dislocating a shoulder? It's mostly fine though if I move the arm a bit in the wrong way, it reminds me that it isn't fully healed.

I see my doctor next Monday, three days before I am set to do these.

I will take my trekking poles and walk carefully.

Thanks so much for the advice and for welcoming me into your community!

-Josh

:welcome to White Blaze! We're glad you are here!

I have way too much experience hiking after shoulder dislocations. It takes a bit of time (if ever) for your shoulder to stop reminding you when you make a movement it does not like. That twinge will sure stop you in your tracks!

My advice is to use a day pack with a hip belt. That will transfer the weight away from your shoulders. The sternum strap doesn't work for everyone in this instance. I find that it makes sure my shoulder straps stay away from the painful shoulder, but others have told me it pulls on your shoulder. If your shoulder gets too fatigued (it is still healing) or painful, it might even work for you to take that arm completely out of the shoulder strap and let the hip belt and other should carry your pack. It takes a little bit of adjustment to see what works for you.

Be very careful NOT to forget about your shoulder and then grab your pack with the hand on the end of the injured shoulder. That is not a mistake you want to make. Depending on how loose your shoulder is, it could be enough to pop your shoulder back out.

You will need to figure out the best pain-free way for you to put your shoulder straps on. That can get a little tricky, especially toward the end of a long day. It gets easier.

It might not be a bad idea to carry a cheap sling or bandana that can be made into a sling in the event you find yourself wanting to give your shoulder a break. Actually, from here on, you might want to consider carrying (if you don't already) a bandana big enough to be a sling. Once you pop your shoulder it makes it that much easier to do again and again. It really sucks when it happens in the middle of a backpacking trip.

At 5 weeks you should be okay for these activities. Don't be afraid to baby your shoulder when it hurts/gets tired. Go out there and have fun!

JLorenzo77
04-11-2016, 10:55
Water Rat - Thank you for the warm wishes and the insightful post! I really appreciate it. This is trail magic without even being on the trail!

Yeah, I dislocated it while out on a solo hike. Just took a bad step. Somehow it slipped back in on its own and I hiked four miles to my car and drove 45 minutes to the hospital. Not the greatest day I've had.

I was planning on taking my sling on the hikes for peace of mind so your idea and reasoning are sound. I also purchased the Day Lite Osprey pack with the hip belt. It also has the sternum strap but I can un-clip that if the need arises.

I am so glad someone understands the pain associated with this thing. My wife gives me a hard time that I am just using it to get out of yard work. That's only 10% true. Ha! It's also my dominant arm which doesn't help.

I'm excited for this. I've never done more than 15 miles in a day and back-to-back 20 mile days seems daunting to me. However, I am taking a buddy and we will go out a nice pace and take it one step at a time.

rafe
04-11-2016, 11:05
JLornenzo: I was thinking more about the logistics for two 20-mile days. I wasn't thinking all that much about your injury. So just be careful. While the verticals are no big deal, there are a few rocky stretches where you might want to take your time.

JLorenzo77
04-11-2016, 11:19
JLornenzo: I was thinking more about the logistics for two 20-mile days. I wasn't thinking all that much about your injury. So just be careful. While the verticals are no big deal, there are a few rocky stretches where you might want to take your time.

Thanks Rafe. That is obviously my other concern. We are going southbound. From what I've heard, we'll get the rockiest part of the hike out of the way early in the first day. I know there are parts near Weverton cliffs that are pretty rough to traverse. It'll be a challenge to be sure. Well have cars at the front and back end each day so there are options if the shoulder hurts or something else occurs. Hoping it's just a nice hike through the woods.

SkeeterPee
04-11-2016, 11:35
We parked at the monument site but it was just a day hike. I think that is a State Park. Goggle lists (301) 791-4767 (javascript:void(0)) as the parks contact number. you could probably find out if they lock the gates. Official hours are 8am - 8pm per the website.

JLorenzo77
04-11-2016, 12:37
We parked at the monument site but it was just a day hike. I think that is a State Park. Goggle lists (301) 791-4767 (http://javascript<strong></strong>:void(0)) as the parks contact number. you could probably find out if they lock the gates. Official hours are 8am - 8pm per the website.

Thanks Skeeter. I will give them a call. I'm just trying to decide if I want to hike 18 miles followed by 22 or vice versa. :)