PDA

View Full Version : Gooch Mountain Shelter

happypad
04-11-2016, 09:09
Was at this shelter a few days ago and attempted to bear bag food on the cables and determined that it was broken. One person was able to get their food up there and a young guy who claimed to be a ridge runner ordered him to take it down. This same so called ridge runner then proceeded to scream and act like an idiot to everyone who looked at the cables. He spent his evening around the fire and shelter promoting a loud and obnoxious pot smoking party while tired hikers tried to rest. He did nothing to pick up or maintain the camp the next morning either. Worst night on the AT so far. Skip this shelter and there is a fine primitive campsite just past it that is much more suitable and peaceful.

peakbagger
04-11-2016, 09:25
It would be appropriate to contact the maintaining club regarding this individual. If he is a legit ridge runner they would appreciate the feedback. I expect far more likely he is not and just a poser.

cneill13
04-11-2016, 10:28
I was at this shelter last week. The ridge runner is named Kenneth and he is absolutely psychotic. Yelled at me for wanting to start a fire in the fire pit. He told one of the thru hikers I was hiking with that he accidentally killed someone. He applied for the rr job off craigslist. He told me this personally. Where do they find these people?

ChrisJackson
04-11-2016, 10:29
That sounds like a nightmare. Someone in the mix will probably see this thread...but, here is GATC's contact page:

http://georgia-atclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=111&Itemid=691

Gambit McCrae
04-11-2016, 10:36
This needs to be addressed asap. He wouldn't get very far with me, sounds like he is squatting at the shelter more then "running ridges". Just another reason to stay away from GA shelters.

Georgia had some real characters for me personally, not exactly a breath of fresh air lol

dudeijuststarted
04-11-2016, 10:44
I was at this shelter last week. The ridge runner is named Kenneth and he is absolutely psychotic. Yelled at me for wanting to start a fire in the fire pit. He told one of the thru hikers I was hiking with that he accidentally killed someone. He applied for the rr job off craigslist. He told me this personally. Where do they find these people?

Yes! Now who says this site is getting old?

soumodeler
04-11-2016, 11:01
Very surprising that the would hire someone like this. Every ridgerunner that I have met has been absolutely amazing in terms of friendliness, knowledge, helpfulness, etc. This guy sounds like an impostor. I have never heard of the RR job being posted on craigslist, just on the official ATC or GATC websites. Also, isn't it a requirement to be a past thru hiker to get a RR position? This guy doesn't sound like one.

MuddyWaters
04-11-2016, 11:54
Was he wearing a shirt with an ATC Ridgerunner emblem?

cneill13
04-11-2016, 12:38
Not sure about the shirt but he had a handheld Walky tally. He also had a thick beard and played really bad techno music. Just what I want to hear when camping in the woods. Everyone hated him. He ruined our evening

Lauriep
04-11-2016, 12:41
I checked in with the supervisor of ATC ridgerunners in the southern region. She responds, "Thanks for posting this information. This is the first we've heard about this. We will check on it immediately."

- Laurie P.
ATC

Gambit McCrae
04-11-2016, 12:45
I checked in with the supervisor of ATC ridgerunners in the southern region. She responds, "Thanks for posting this information. This is the first we've heard about this. We will check on it immediately."

- Laurie P.
ATC

Thanks so much Lorie, Please check back in with an update if you receive one? I would hate for this kind of post/ experience persuade others not to hike. Obviously something is wrong here.

happypad
04-11-2016, 21:02
Yes he acted insane. Screamed at me a couple times and incited some others to join him. I'm a peaceful guy but not one that you want to scream at after I hiked several miles. I let him know that real quick.

Lauriep
04-12-2016, 08:46
ATC employee Leanna Joyner, the supervisor of ATC ridgerunners in the southern region, wrote me the following yesterday and asked me to post it here:

We immediately followed up on this report and here's what we found. Yes, he has had some trouble with broken bear cables at Gooch Mountain shelter and has hollered at people from a distance to get their attention before they use the broken bear lines. It started as one broken bear cable, and now the whole system is inoperable. Now his efforts are to ensure everyone is properly hanging their food using cordage, if they are not carrying a bear canister.

Kenneth does smoke tobacco. He rolls his own cigarettes and uses a pipe.

He may congregate and visit with hikers over dinner. He may even visit with them around the campfire, but he regularly dissuades use of drugs at campfires and shelter area. When it is dry and windy, as it has been this past week, he discourages people from campfires.

As a caretaker at this site, Kenneth regularly cleans and maintains, packing out garbage thoughtlessly left behind by others. He has packed out in excess of 20 lbs on some patrols.

Kenneth brings experience from the Vermont Youth Conservation Corps to his employment with ATC, which referred him to us for this position.

We really appreciate the feedback. Next time, we wish you would call us directly 828-357-6541 with critiques or praise of our ridgerunners.

After a thorough discussion we remain confident in Kenneth to do his job.

- Laurie

ScareBear
04-12-2016, 08:51
Laurie,

If "Kenneth" was doing his job, how is it again that all the bear cables mysteriously went out of commission around the same time(hmmmmmm.....that's a new one) and he has yet to repair them? You might want to send a hiker unknown to "Kenneth" to check out his behaviour. Since you've been put on notice, if he harms anyone, you may be liable for damages. Best to insure the safety of the hikers rather than the safety of "Kenneth"'s employment....

ScareBear
04-12-2016, 08:52
OOPS. I meant "Leanna"....sorry

cneill13
04-12-2016, 08:53
I am absolutely incredulous that Kenneth wasn't fired. I have lost all confidence in the ATC.

I truly feel sorry for the thru hikers who have to deal with this deranged individual. I was scared for my life around Kenneth

Miel
04-12-2016, 09:06
Maybe he's a Sybil.

Gambit McCrae
04-12-2016, 10:03
jUST PASS BY GOOCH SHELTER, THE END

Tuckahoe
04-12-2016, 10:14
To hell with verifiable facts. I'll get the bear cables and let's just string the guy up!!

Uncle Joe
04-12-2016, 11:06
This is probably a case of two personalities escalating a situation due to circumstances. I like the idea of just sending a hiker in there to gauge his reaction. Although, he's probably on notice now and hopefully has changed his behavior. Which ultimately is a good thing. If this guy has a good history of volunteer work then keeping that energy focused should be the goal.

cneill13
04-12-2016, 11:16
As I mentioned before, I stayed at the Gooch Mountain Shelter last week, on Thursday night to be exact.

I have hiked the Georgia portion of the AT countless numbers of times camping near every shelter area.

Never have I ever while on the trail met anyone like Kenneth. And the fact that he is the person in charge of the Gooch Mountain shelter makes it even more remarkable.

From the second I arrived at 3:30 pm, Kenneth was standing at the end of the shelter picnic table making snarky comments to the hikers. At first I thought he was just an obnoxious thru-hiker but he later mentioned he was the ridge runner.

He complained endlessly about picking up trash amongst other things and only left his spot by the table to step outside and roll a smoke.

He also took pictures of people which was somewhat annoying saying he got paid more if he could prove he spent the night at the shelter area.

You could instantly tell something wasn't right with Kenneth. His constant screaming and belittling nature made you fairly certain he was mentally unstable.

I spent many hours in my hammock during the night thinking about how best to confront Kenneth the next morning. I wanted to get his full name so that I could report him and his actions to the ATC.

In the end, I chickened out. For one, Kenneth used to build trails and is a big dude. I was right in the middle of a very enjoyable section hike on the Georgia Loop and didn't want to mess it up. I also didn't know how Kenneth would react. I literally worried that he would try to physically harm me.

So I decided to let sleeping dogs lie and let nature run its course. Which is why seeing this thread has brought me much relief.

Someone is going to have a very bad confrontation with Kenneth. That is almost certainly guaranteed.

The fact that the ATC was made aware of the problem and chose not to act now makes them culpable for Kenneth's actions.

Once the trial lawyers get involved, all it will take is one look at this thread and their case will be won.

I still can't believe Kenneth didn't lose his job. It absolutely blows my mind on a scale that I can't describe.

Some heads are going to roll on this one, unfortunately.

happypad
04-12-2016, 16:34
ATC employee Leanna Joyner, the supervisor of ATC ridgerunners in the southern region, wrote me the following yesterday and asked me to post it here:

We immediately followed up on this report and here's what we found. Yes, he has had some trouble with broken bear cables at Gooch Mountain shelter and has hollered at people from a distance to get their attention before they use the broken bear lines. It started as one broken bear cable, and now the whole system is inoperable. Now his efforts are to ensure everyone is properly hanging their food using cordage, if they are not carrying a bear canister.

Kenneth does smoke tobacco. He rolls his own cigarettes and uses a pipe.

He may congregate and visit with hikers over dinner. He may even visit with them around the campfire, but he regularly dissuades use of drugs at campfires and shelter area. When it is dry and windy, as it has been this past week, he discourages people from campfires.

As a caretaker at this site, Kenneth regularly cleans and maintains, packing out garbage thoughtlessly left behind by others. He has packed out in excess of 20 lbs on some patrols.

Kenneth brings experience from the Vermont Youth Conservation Corps to his employment with ATC, which referred him to us for this position.

We really appreciate the feedback. Next time, we wish you would call us directly 828-357-6541 with critiques or praise of our ridgerunners.

After a thorough discussion we remain confident in Kenneth to do his job.

- Laurie

This whole synopsis of his good behavior is BS. I'm a twenty year law enforcement officer from another state. I know the difference between tobacco and marijuana. He acts like an idiot plain and simple. I won't be going back there to that shelter and will recommend other people skip it as well. I'll call when I get the chance and maybe clear your mind on his BS. It's not like people are just trying to break the cables but he does nothing to help folks and promotes the ATC in a very bad light.

Lone Wolf
04-12-2016, 17:42
id'a b.....h slapped that youngin' if i encountered him

Puddlefish
04-26-2016, 20:47
I spent a night at Gooch April 8th. Ken was about the loudest one at the campfire. Deciding I'd get no sleep, I just hung out at the fire and socialized until 8:00 Afterwards the high winds drowned out his noise. Most of the older hikers just found him to be obnoxious. He did save one Hiker from hanging a bear pinata, otherwise he was useless. A search party came through, and pretty much had to drag him away from his comedy routine before he went to talk with them. He's not for everyone, that's for sure.

AO2134
04-26-2016, 20:52
I spent a night at Gooch April 8th. Ken was about the loudest one at the campfire. Deciding I'd get no sleep, I just hung out at the fire and socialized until 8:00 Afterwards the high winds drowned out his noise. Most of the older hikers just found him to be obnoxious. He did save one Hiker from hanging a bear pinata, otherwise he was useless. A search party came through, and pretty much had to drag him away from his comedy routine before he went to talk with them. He's not for everyone, that's for sure.

I like to camp near Gooch Shelter as it is a nice distance for night one from Springer. I will be pushing on knowing this. I'd rather not risk finding out for myself if the stories are true.

Lone Wolf
04-26-2016, 21:21
gooch gap itself is the best place to camp. 1 mile past theshelter

daddytwosticks
04-27-2016, 07:22
There is also a nice place to camp a very short distance north of the blue blazed shelter trail. Probably half way between the shelter and the gap. It's on the left and you can squeeze in maybe two or three tents. Nice and level with a fire ring but no water. :)

happypad
10-26-2016, 18:45
I assume everything has become quiet at Gooch Shelter

JessNicole3608
10-27-2016, 11:53
Wowwww :\ Will definitely avoid this shelter. Thanks!

Maineiac64
10-27-2016, 12:02
I stayed there about a month ago, no sign of Kenneth, one other hiker, nice spot.

cneill13
10-27-2016, 12:36
Gooch Mountain is actually my favorite shelter in Georgia. Just not when Krazy Kenneth was there. He was a seasonal ridge runner during the 2016 peak thru-hiker season.

I have been back there several times and no one was there. That was the first time I have ever seen a ridge runner at that shelter. Hopefully, it will be the last.

Carl

Slo-go'en
10-28-2016, 11:00
Gooch Mountain is actually my favorite shelter in Georgia. Just not when Krazy Kenneth was there. He was a seasonal ridge runner during the 2016 peak thru-hiker season.

I have been back there several times and no one was there. That was the first time I have ever seen a ridge runner at that shelter. Hopefully, it will be the last.

Carl

Last year the ATC began staffing the Georgia shelters with caretakers during the peak spring season to help manage the crowds. After dealing with hoards of clueless newbies for a month or so, one can become quite testy.