PDA

View Full Version : Easy section suggestion -- NE TN

ktest
04-11-2016, 13:03
Can anyone suggest a nice, relatively easy section of the AT in my area? I'm at the end of my sixth month of pregnancy, looking to split 10ish or less miles into two leisurely days. I plan to hammock with my dog. I was thinking going through Osbourne farm would be nice but I don't really know anything about the sections on either side of it! Thanks.

illabelle
04-11-2016, 13:38
k, the section of the AT between Watauga Dam and Damascus is really easy - about 50 miles of easy. You can almost fly through there. Do you have a trail guide? Or some good maps? Those would help you identify a 10-mile stretch with access at each end. For example, US 421 to Damascus is 15 miles. Maybe that will work for you.

Tennessee Viking
04-11-2016, 14:23
I used to help maintain and walk that area trail. I am only missing Ab Gap Shelter to the stateline.

The walk from TN91 to Damascus is mostly rolling grade. No big climbs. TN 91 to 421 is roughly 6 miles. And I think Illabelle
is right, its around 15 miles from 421 to Damascus; which follows the ridgetop and old logging roads. But you can pickup miles very quick going down to Damascus.

Only challenge to the section is its ridgetop trail, and during warmer months, water sources dry up or go down hill. And the humidity is a stamina sucker.

ktest
04-11-2016, 16:15
I don't have a trail guide. I'll probably get one next spring when littlin is big enough to come out with me all day or for overnights. I unfortunately know my limits and while 15 miles would have been a piece of cake pre preggo, especially over two days, if anyone could suggest a shorter section (or a website that functions like a trail guide?) that would rock.

winger
04-11-2016, 16:30
Have you discussed with your obstetrician?

illabelle
04-11-2016, 22:13
Without a trail guide, I'd use www.atdist.com (that's how I figured that it was 15 miles in my post above), and I'd use the interactive map on www.appalachiantrail.org
Zoom in on the map enough so you can see the terrain, and the roads. Between the two sites you can probably come up with a short section. If you don't find something that appeals to you, there's always the option of an out-and-back, in which case you don't need a ride back to your car.
Best of luck to you.

LittleRock
04-12-2016, 09:08
I used to help maintain and walk that area trail. I am only missing Ab Gap Shelter to the stateline.

The walk from TN91 to Damascus is mostly rolling grade. No big climbs. TN 91 to 421 is roughly 6 miles. And I think Illabelle
is right, its around 15 miles from 421 to Damascus; which follows the ridgetop and old logging roads. But you can pickup miles very quick going down to Damascus.

Only challenge to the section is its ridgetop trail, and during warmer months, water sources dry up or go down hill. And the humidity is a stamina sucker.

+1 to this. US 421 to Damascus is about 15 miles. Rolling 5 miles from 421 to Abington Gap Shelter the first day, easy 10 miles all downhill into Damascus the second day. The hardest part for me was getting to the water source at the shelter, but you can carry enough to last 2 days.

joec
04-12-2016, 10:50
Agree with Damascus area. One issue with hiking into Damascus is the fairly significant downhill into town. It whipped my daughter and wife on a hike years ago. If I remember correctly, it is close to 8 miles or so mostly downhill going into town.