PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on WM Alpinlite and Marmot Helium

Kestrelchick
04-11-2016, 20:12
Would love to hear any opinions anyone has concerning the Western Mountaineering Alpinlite sleeping bag vs a Marmot Helium bag....I purchased both and I am really stuck between the two and one has to go back. We are leaving for our AT Thru-hike at the beginning of March so I know it will be cold. I know that WM is top quality but I have been concerned about the rating of 20 instead of the Marmot 15 - I have broad shoulders so the added size in the WM is nice but the Marmot fits me fine also... another concern is that WM does not treat their down (and I really respect their comments on their website about wanting to do more studies concerning water rep down before jumping on the bandwagon with everyone else)....their is obviously quite a difference between the prices (one is $560 and the other is $400 and I was able to use my REI 20% off on the Marmot bringing it down to $320 but I am not so worried about price because we have been saving for this trip for a really long time) both bags have outstanding reviews all over the internet - would love to hear opinions??

Alpinlite is 2" wider on shoulders than Helium...is 2lb 1oz....is 850+ down....has a down collar....continuous baffles....one continuous zipper with really awesome zipper protection...WM does not treat their down their site says, "All of our fabrics are finished with a DWR, (Durable Water Repellent) that is rated as 80/20. This is an industry measure of durability that suggests that 80% DWR is retained after 20 washings"....the 5" loft and 19 oz down fill....and is a 20 degree rated bag

Marmot Helium is 2" less on the shoulders than Alpinlite....is 2lb 4.5oz....is 800 down...has the same ability to cinch up the head that Alpinlite has (minus the down collar)...continuous baffles...down is treated/Down Defender and outside of bag is water repellant...two way/full zipper so I can unzip at the far end to allow some feet breathing and there is a fold down second zipper on the other side near the head so you can zip the left side down a bit for more air.... 6" loft and 22 oz down fill....and is a 15 degree rated bag

Kestrelchick
04-11-2016, 20:18
apologize greatly for the several grammar mistakes - ACK - can't go back and edit the post....

lonehiker
04-11-2016, 20:32
I have had good success with the Helium on various trips over the last 10 years or so. Am currently using it on my PCT section hikes. Can't compare to the WM bag but can recommend the Marmot.

Wise Old Owl
04-11-2016, 20:44
Helium has a huge name recognition.

Venchka
04-11-2016, 21:43
Warning: I own 2 WM bags - Antelope and Alpinlite.
Are you a warm or cold sleeper?
I would trust me Alpinlite at 15 degrees more than I would trust the Helium.
FWIW: In Europe the Alpinlite's EN minimum rating is 16 degrees. Throw in all of the WM construction benefits makes it a no brainier in my book. In fact I purchased the Alpinlite over the Helium.
Good luck.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Kestrelchick
04-11-2016, 21:50
thanks guys for the comments - The WM Alpinlite was at the top of my list due to all the reviews about the quality so I purchased it, I then began to second guess it when I started to read about down defender/dridown and all the other bags that have some form of treated down - I know the AT is wet and so was worried about the WM bag not having treated down... and the small difference in temperature rating. I really don't like being cold and the times we have been camping in 25-30 degree weather, I have been pretty miserable - so quality and warmth are important. I know that the Helium has gotten a lot of top reviews as well and seems to be a popular choice for AT hikers as well....anyone have any comments about the concern with WM and not having any form of treated down?

Studlintsean
04-11-2016, 23:17
I also commented on FB. You cannot go wrong with WM Alpinlite. Here is mine after a 15 degree night with some light snow under a tarp with a bivy. I was toasty warm.

Kestrelchick
04-12-2016, 00:52
LOVE the pic! Snow?? I have forgotten what that looks like here in Florida...

egilbe
04-12-2016, 05:26
thanks guys for the comments - The WM Alpinlite was at the top of my list due to all the reviews about the quality so I purchased it, I then began to second guess it when I started to read about down defender/dridown and all the other bags that have some form of treated down - I know the AT is wet and so was worried about the WM bag not having treated down... and the small difference in temperature rating. I really don't like being cold and the times we have been camping in 25-30 degree weather, I have been pretty miserable - so quality and warmth are important. I know that the Helium has gotten a lot of top reviews as well and seems to be a popular choice for AT hikers as well....anyone have any comments about the concern with WM and not having any form of treated down?

Dridown isn't necessary. You aren't going to treat your sleeping bag any differently if you have it, or not. Keep it dry, you will be fine.

Datto
04-13-2016, 17:19
I have had a Marmot Helium and Marmot Hyrdogen and several Western Mountaineering sleeping bags and other types of Western Mountaineering gear.

I can tell you the Western Mountaneering bags are the best brand of sleeping bag I have ever owned and the two Marmot sleeping bags I've mentioned above have been excellent.

You're pretty much got the best that money can buy. It's a toss up -- if someone wrestled me to the ground to give me nuggies and a wedgie, then told me I had to chose, I guess I'd take the Western Mountaineering.

Datto

Dogwood
04-13-2016, 17:52
A 2005-06 Helium LONG I had weighed 2 lb 1 oz when I bought it. It had a lovable 1/2 zip, great durable high level DWR, I loved.

Dogwood
04-13-2016, 18:02
At the time not every sleeping bag manufacturer specked accurate temp ratings. This was before EN ratings were common. The Marmot Helium I had was absolutely true to it's rating. I haven't looked at one of the more recent Helium versions lately to say if that has changed. Marmot tweaked some different things slightly according to the yrs' version. And, with WM it should go without saying they are accurately rated if not a bit conservatively so. Remember, both marmot and WM specked out their temp ratings long before there ever were universal EN temp ratings. It demonstrates to me the reliability of both these companies. I NOW WHAT I'M GETTING with either Marmot or Western Mountaineering…NOT a UN_NAMED KNOCK OFF…a well designed well constructed honesty!

As an aside I wonder about quilt or sleeping bag temp ratings that aren't EN rated noting some discrepancies definitely still exist in this market.

JumpMaster Blaster
04-15-2016, 10:57
I had my WM Alpinlite out in 15 vdegree weather this January- specifically to test it's temp rating (I'd heard they are very generous with their estimation). I was very comfortable in silkweight baselayers and a regular pair of socks, even though I tent to sleep a little cold. Frosty condensation was all over the inside of my tent, so I was a little concerned about moisture getting on the bag, but I was extremely pleased with it's preformance. Well worth the $$$.