PDA

View Full Version : carrying crocs

DavidNH
12-26-2005, 14:57
Just wonder how hikers generally carry crocs. I have a pair to use for camp and getting water etc. I am planning to carry in a small mesh bag under my packs top flap. Is there a better ways?

My back is a gregory forester.

DavidNH

Kerosene
12-26-2005, 15:05
See if you can find a lightweight caribiner that is large enough to allow you to hook them to the outside of your pack. I love my Crocs, but they take up a lot of space inside the pack.

brian
12-26-2005, 19:27
What I do that works really well is I made a short strap with a clip on the end. I put the shoes soles out, facing opposite directions, and compress them, making them take up much less room. Then, I hook the strap around the middle of the two shoes, and they stay compressed and packable. Works great especially when I was bike touring, where space is really at a minimum.

Brian

neighbor dave
12-26-2005, 20:08
after you've succesfully wrastled it and duct taped it's mouth shut, jus through 'em over yer shoulder!!:jump :bse :jump :welcome :banana :sun

handlebar
12-26-2005, 20:24
What Kerosene said: just use a lightweight biner and clip 'em to the back of your pack----works great for me!

little bear
12-26-2005, 22:33
i agree with keroscene and handlebar. i use two clips and clip them on the outside of my pack.

happy hikes
little bear

K-Man
12-27-2005, 01:12
One great thing about crocs is that no matter how you compresss them they never lose their shape. I just strap mine to the ouside of my pack.

Footslogger
12-27-2005, 10:29
I stuck the heels in the side pockets of my Vapor Trail and secured the toe ends under the compression straps.

'Slogger

Peaks
12-27-2005, 10:39
Am I the exception? I carry my crocs, and everything else (except one water bottle and fuel bottle) inside my pack. Maybe that's why I have a larger pack than most.

anneandbenhike
12-27-2005, 10:58
I always carry mine on the outside as they are usually muddy or at least have dirt on them! I have Waldies with no heel strap so put a small cord with a loop I tie at each end through the holes at the toes. I attach a tiny carabiner to the two loops and hook to the upper compression strap, with the lower compression strap over the toes. No Waldies swinging around as I hike and easily accessed if I just feel the need to take off my shoes during a break.

Lilred
12-27-2005, 11:25
Love my Crocs!! My pack has two velcro straps on either side of it and I just loop them through my crocs. I don't know what those straps are there for, but that's how I use them.

D'Artagnan
12-27-2005, 12:27
During the times that I'm not actually wearing them on-trail, I use a carabiner and hook them to the daisy chain on my pack. I'll have to check out the bungee option next time I'm out.

Frosty
12-27-2005, 13:13
Crocs to me are a bit heavy to carry around just as a spare set of footwear to wear in towns. I have a pair I will carry in NH-ME where I expect a bit of wet brook crossing to do, but will leave them home for the southern part of the trail where there are plenty of bridges and the water will be warmer anyway.

I attach both crocs and slippers to the back of the pack with a lightweight carabiner. They get too dirty, especially the neoprene booties in southern mud) to put inside the pack.

I don't mind walking around camp and in town in my trail boots, though I know that many dislike doing this.

mingo
12-27-2005, 16:51
i have to say i've never heard so many silly questions. this one about how to hang your camp shoes beats them all. i wonder can anyone answer how often you have to tie your shoes on the trail? i'm worried that i might hurt my fingers if i have to tie my shoes too often.

neighbor dave
12-27-2005, 17:25
i have to say i've never heard so many silly questions. this one about how to hang your camp shoes beats them all. i wonder can anyone answer how often you have to tie your shoes on the trail? i'm worried that i might hurt my fingers if i have to tie my shoes too often.
amen!!!:-? i gotta agree wid cha!! hence my reply above.
p.s. how much toilet paper do you carry on an average day?:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :jump

DavidNH
12-27-2005, 18:16

Mango...

My appologies to you and anyone else who thinks my post was silly or stupid. I thought this forum is a good place to get questions answered, be they advanced or basic, from folks with lots of tried and true trail experience.

Perhaps I should post my questions in private and only to the one or two people here that I know personally? Of course..that would reduce the information to others and result in fewer public posts... and thus devalue the whole site.

Remember.. you always have the option of just passing over my post(s) and going on to more intelligent or interesting questions... Alls I want is information and education.

DavidNH

timhines
12-27-2005, 20:52
hey it's the winter, we have to talk about something!

Hammock Hanger
12-27-2005, 20:56
Am I the exception? I carry my crocs, and everything else (except one water bottle and fuel bottle) inside my pack. Maybe that's why I have a larger pack than most.

I carry everything inside my pack, I hate things dangling on the outside... EXCEPT, my Crocs. I use a small c-beaner and they stay out on the front of the pack. I have a very small pack and they won't fit inside.

LIhikers
12-28-2005, 08:21
I like to carry mine outside my pack. That way I can easily get to them during lunch and other extended breaks. Nothin quite like getting the boots off a couple of times during the day.

Kerosene
12-28-2005, 12:04
I stuck the heels in the side pockets of my Vapor Trail and secured the toe ends under the compression straps.Neat idea! I'll have to try this approach.

QHShowoman
12-28-2005, 16:16

This is a discussion board ... if you don't like the subject matter being discussed, feel free to go someplace else. I know that I won't miss the bitterness that permeates your last few posts.

rickb
12-28-2005, 16:33
RE Crocs: I'm surprise that no one else has had problems with failure of the heal strap rivets.

Perhaps my experience has been unique, but because of this I would never strap Crocs to the outside of my pack (unless through one of the air holes).

I had rivets break twice and I don't wear Crocs all that much. This was just walking around and not by getting snagged on a blowdown or such.

YMMV (as seems to be the case!)

BTW, Crocs was really good about sending out new plastic rivets, but a nut and bolt works even better.

cutman11
12-29-2005, 00:00
RE Crocs: I'm surprise that no one else has had problems with failure of the heal strap rivets.

Perhaps my experience has been unique, but because of this I would never strap Crocs to the outside of my pack (unless through one of the air holes).

I had rivets break twice and I don't wear Crocs all that much. This was just walking around and not by getting snagged on a blowdown or such.

BTW, Crocs was really good about sending out new plastic rivets, but a nut and bolt works even better.

AHHH HAAA, I was wondering if I was the only person on earth to break one of those darn rivets. I was thinking of replying about hanging them too. I broke the rivet walking with them on, though, when a rock snagged the rivet and it broke off. I used a small piece of string to hold it on, but was wondering what would be a more permanent solution. So see, even an esoteric thread eventually yields useful information -- and to those hanging their crocs by the heal straps -- put the body of them under some strap to take the tension off the rivets, or risk being one-shoed in camp!

Hammock Hanger
12-29-2005, 08:18

I have been fortunate and not one of the straps on my 10 pairs of Crocs has ever broken. (Yes, I have an addiction to things that come in colors.)

However, with the thought of a possible break I put a small loop of cord through the toe holes and clip them through there.

D'Artagnan
12-29-2005, 09:40
This may be a silly question, but here goes: When wearing your Crocs, do you normally employ the heel strap or move it over the front part of the shoe? I kinda think they look a little silly on me when the heel strap is used. Is this just my personal hang-up? :D

K-Man
12-29-2005, 09:47
I pulled the heal strap off and took the rivets out and it took off 0.7 oz total for the pair. I never used the straps anyways so this was an easy weight savings for me.

Hammock Hanger
12-29-2005, 10:13
This may be a silly question, but here goes: When wearing your Crocs, do you normally employ the heel strap or move it over the front part of the shoe? I kinda think they look a little silly on me when the heel strap is used. Is this just my personal hang-up? :D

I always use my heel strap unless I'm just running to the bathroom or something quick. I hate slides.

On the other hand my girlfriend never uses the strap.

Like you said personal hang-ups.

mingo
12-29-2005, 11:38
This is a discussion board ... if you don't like the subject matter being discussed, feel free to go someplace else. I know that I won't miss the bitterness that permeates your last few posts.

yes, i am bitter it's true. i once lost a croc because it wasn't fastened securely to my pack. my feelings are still so raw on this topic.

Stoker53
12-29-2005, 12:03
This is a most interesting discussion...One that I had hoped we could have for a long time. My morale is soaring with the eagles.:D

D'Artagnan
12-29-2005, 12:12
It sure beats politics or dogs or Henry David Thoreau! :D

Footslogger
12-29-2005, 12:23
[quote=rickboudrie]RE Crocs: I'm surprise that no one else has had problems with failure of the heal strap rivets.
=============================================
Well ...in truth, I have the first generation "Waldies" and not Crocks but it didn't seem to matter much in terms of how you packed them. I've seen a lot of heel strap failures with the Crocks myself ...so much so that I would most like take the heel straps off.

'Slogger

The Solemates
12-29-2005, 12:43
we have 1st generation waldies too...bought them probably 5 years ago when they first came out before everyone started wearing them. they dont have the heel strap, which i dont think i would like anyways. i still wear mine all the time and they are in rough shape, but still going strong. i only take them on extended camping trips because of the weight, but when i do i just put them inside my pack. no need for a heavy caribener.

neo
12-29-2005, 14:08
crocs suck,they are for yuppies:cool: neo

neighbor dave
12-29-2005, 14:29
crocs suck,they are for yuppies:cool: neo
ha ha ha ha camp shoes??? what fer???:jump

drsukie
01-05-2006, 20:31
I figure since I already own three pair of Tevas, I am just going to bring the lightest pair (haven't weighed yet). I can't see paying more money for another pair of shoes, and I think the Crocs are yuck. Just my .02 ;) Sue

Grizzlebee
01-05-2006, 21:41
Hey Guys, I prefer to attach crocs to the back of my pack with a carabiner too... although I accidentally melted my last pair by leaning them against a radiator. My fault not the crocs, just wanted to mention it so someone else doesn't make the same dumb mistake :)

johnny quest
01-06-2006, 12:32
lord, man, lighten the f up! the title of the thread was "carrying crocs"...why did you come here if you didnt want your time wasted with "silly" questions? i actually am very interested in this very strong love for crocs some people have...i dont understand it but maybe i will put on a pair and find out. but if your not interested then move on....you dont see me complaning when the goliters start discussing ray jardines real motives for using this denier nylon versus the newest poly-hemp product, now do you??????

mingo
01-06-2006, 13:15
lord, man, lighten the f up! the title of the thread was "carrying crocs"...why did you come here if you didnt want your time wasted with "silly" questions? i actually am very interested in this very strong love for crocs some people have...i dont understand it but maybe i will put on a pair and find out. but if your not interested then move on....you dont see me complaning when the goliters start discussing ray jardines real motives for using this denier nylon versus the newest poly-hemp product, now do you??????

the same can be said to you -- if you don't want to read my comment, then move on. i was just having a little fun.

johnny quest
01-06-2006, 15:37
mingo

i went back and read your original statement that struck me as so nasty. your response to what i said made me think maybe i read it wrong. i know that is so possible in this medium of electronic shorthand. anyway...i saw how i could have read into it so i decided to read some other threads you have been active in. and...no, i didnt read you wrong. you are just kinda nasty on here arent you? whats wrong, werent you breast fed as a baby???? let the folks have their colorful plastic campshoes. matter of fact i might get some just to spite you. i may even change careers and become a ridgerunner!!!:-?

QHShowoman
01-06-2006, 16:05
... so i decided to read some other threads you have been active in. and...no, i didnt read you wrong. you are just kinda nasty on here arent you? ...

JQ: Yeah, I was initially willing to reserve judgement as well ... until I went back and viewed his post history ... "bitter" is a word that immediately came to mind.

mingo
01-06-2006, 17:43
JQ: Yeah, I was initially willing to reserve judgement as well ... until I went back and viewed his post history ... "bitter" is a word that immediately came to mind.

my experience in this forum has been that everyone likes to attack everyone else for being nasty -- a lot of pots talking to a lot of kettles. whatever.

DavidNH
01-06-2006, 18:35
mingo

i went back and read your original statement that struck me as so nasty. your response to what i said made me think maybe i read it wrong. i know that is so possible in this medium of electronic shorthand. anyway...i saw how i could have read into it so i decided to read some other threads you have been active in. and...no, i didnt read you wrong. you are just kinda nasty on here arent you? whats wrong, werent you breast fed as a baby???? let the folks have their colorful plastic campshoes. matter of fact i might get some just to spite you. i may even change careers and become a ridgerunner!!!:-?

yeah go johnny! It is good to know there are others who are as ticked off at Ming. as i am. talk about crabby and nasty!!

and man do i luv that ignore button! he can't touch me anymore!!!

QHShowoman
01-06-2006, 20:26
my experience in this forum has been that everyone likes to attack everyone else for being nasty -- a lot of pots talking to a lot of kettles. whatever.

There is a difference between respectfully confronting someone for being nasty and plain old unsolicited nastiness. Yours fits into the latter category.

Think about, Mingster, if your posts weren't so downright bitter, no one would've "attacked" you.

LIVESTRONG
01-06-2006, 20:36
switch to chacos and you wont need crocs anymore. The End

hustler
01-07-2006, 19:08
I have never carried them, an extra pair of footware is too heavy. Just suck it up when your shoes are wet.

RockyTrail
01-07-2006, 21:21
I have some Waldies, the predecessor to Crocs. What is hard to believe is how much they jacked the price when Waldies sold out to Crocs.

Waldies only cost $17 a pair (including shipping) in 2003 before the Waldenstore closed. I thought that was reasonable then, I use them for other uses beyond backpacking. People now pay $30 for Crocs without blinking an eye...go figure!

I like the simplicity of the waldies (no strap), they are great.

Heater
01-07-2006, 23:15
switch to chacos and you wont need crocs anymore. The End

I have Tevas. (X-Terras) They are heavier than Crocs or Waldies but they are better to Air out the feet with. I don't like closed toe sandals. I like the feeling in the footbed better than the Chacos and the tread pattern seemed to be more aggressive.

Plus, you can hike in real sandals a long time without them falling apart like the plastic foam ones. I also feel better crossing creeks and streams in the more durable sandals.

QHShowoman
01-09-2006, 11:29
LIVESTRONG: I actually just use CROCS when I am traveling for work. They are sturdy enough to run through airports and slip off/on easily through security.

For the AT, I am planning on a pair of Chacos as my camp shoes/extra shoes. I know plenty of thruhikers who did good chunks of the trail in their chacos alone.

HikeLite
01-09-2006, 11:42
Crocs became a fashion statement so nobody cared about the prices.

Rainman
01-09-2006, 11:50
Last summer I was hiking with a guy who hung all kinds of things from the outside of his pack, including his camp shoes. I picked up a shoe twice and a Nalgene twice. Sometimes they got snagged on a blow down and sometimes they broke off from the weight (a full liter Nalgene). If I had not been behind him he would have hiked all the way to his next "pack break" before he knew his shoe had fallen off. I put everything inside the pack or inside a mesh pocket.

Kerosene
01-09-2006, 12:30
Note that the strap isn't really necessary unless you plan to use the Crocs for fording, in which case they should keep your Crocs from floating away.

AusTexs, you must be really really hard on shoes, since it would take a lot to wear out a pair of Crocs. Plus, you save a good 6-10 ounces in weight.

Heater
01-09-2006, 13:47
AusTexs, you must be really really hard on shoes, since it would take a lot to wear out a pair of Crocs. Plus, you save a good 6-10 ounces in weight.

I go through shoes like bags of potato chips. :D

My Merrill Ventilator II's are holding up really well,though.
The main reason for sticking with "strap'" style sandals is ventilation. My feet sweat a lot for some reason and if they don't get air, well... you don't wanna be around when I would take the Crocs off. Wheeeeeeeeeeew!
:bse :bse :bse

Twofiddy
01-13-2006, 11:53
I'd ditch the mesh bag and just stick them under the pack top, or tie your self two cord loops through the holes in the toes of the shoes and hang them from your Ice Axe Loops.

If you are going to carry a mesh bag to put them in, why not just carry New Balance sneakers with shoe strings and tie them to the pack, the mesh bag is just extra weight that really is pointless.

Twofiddy
01-13-2006, 11:56
LIVESTRONG: I actually just use CROCS when I am traveling for work. They are sturdy enough to run through airports and slip off/on easily through security.

You guys know that it is not necessary to remove your shoes when you go through the check point right?? It just makes things go smoother so that they dont have to check you with one of those wands. Crocs on the other hand, like flip flops, and many other skimpy shoes, go right through without a hitch. I have been on 14 flights since Thanksgiving and was never hassled onece about not removing my crocs to go through a check point

QHShowoman
01-13-2006, 12:08
You guys know that it is not necessary to remove your shoes when you go through the check point right?? It just makes things go smoother so that they dont have to check you with one of those wands. Crocs on the other hand, like flip flops, and many other skimpy shoes, go right through without a hitch. I have been on 14 flights since Thanksgiving and was never hassled onece about not removing my crocs to go through a check point

Actually, shoe removal is contingent on the airport you are at. For example, I NEVER have to take off my shoes or my jacket at LaGuardia, but at Reagan National, not only do I have to remove my shoes, but also my Crocs, jacket, sweater, etc. According to the TSA folks, if a shoe has a sole of a certain thickness, they meet the "profile" for removal.

Twofiddy
01-13-2006, 12:29
Actually, shoe removal is contingent on the airport you are at. For example, I NEVER have to take off my shoes or my jacket at LaGuardia, but at Reagan National, not only do I have to remove my shoes, but also my Crocs, jacket, sweater, etc. According to the TSA folks, if a shoe has a sole of a certain thickness, they meet the "profile" for removal.

I carry the NSA checkpoint rules in my pocket... Let me find an internet site that has them... Shoe removal is a sanitary issue, and for certain individuals, diabetics, immunity disease, and other people, shoe removal is not possible... This is in the NSA checkpoint rules. You have a right to refuse to remove your shoes... They may search everything that you own however, and take you over to those sit down chairs and have you take everthing off and run it through IONIC testing machine and waste like 20 min of your time... I am usually there early enough to waste time... and I love seeing those NSA idiots have to do something... So I dont mind going over to the sit down area... I have only had to do that once, and that day they were taking ever 10th person over there period.

I noticed that for the holiday travel season this year they let alot of stuff fly. I got on with nail clipper, scissors, screwdrivers, even a pocket knife on my key chain for my beater Jeep that I drove twice to the airport instead of getting a ride or paying for expesive protected parking for the nice vehicle.

A guy fitting the terrorist stereo type stood up on one of the flights and walked back and forth in the plane a few times, to stretch his legs, and you could just see the look on peoples faces... One move and there would have been like 150 people holding that guy down... As for removing my shoes... I will not. I refuse!! I am not a terrorist!!

QHShowoman
01-13-2006, 12:55
You have a right to refuse to remove your shoes... They may search everything that you own however, and take you over to those sit down chairs and have you take everthing off and run it through IONIC testing machine and waste like 20 min of your time... I am usually there early enough to waste time...

Um ... yeah. I have better ways to waste my time at airports ... like plugging into the internet and posting on whiteblaze.

Twofiddy
01-14-2006, 20:01
Um ... yeah. I have better ways to waste my time at airports ... like plugging into the internet and posting on whiteblaze.

I only do that at Free Airports, like good old Pittsburgh PA. Free Wireless internet in every crack and crevice of the airport.

I would never pay $9.95 to log in for one day at places like Twin Cities, or LAX, or others. That is a joke!

QHShowoman
01-16-2006, 23:20
I only do that at Free Airports, like good old Pittsburgh PA. Free Wireless internet in every crack and crevice of the airport.

I would never pay $9.95 to log in for one day at places like Twin Cities, or LAX, or others. That is a joke!

I would never pay $9.95 either ... all my expenses on business trips are covered by my employer.