PDA

View Full Version : How often do you adjust the straps on your backpack?

Odder
04-11-2016, 21:46
I've been doing training hikes with my new Osprey Exos 58 in preparation for a SOBO thru-hike of the AT. I have been carrying a 15 lb. load. I find the pack most comfortable when the straps are fairly snug. When I go for a 1 1/2 to 2 hour hike I find myself retightening the shoulder straps and waist belt 3-4 times. Is this normal? Should I just get used to it? Is there something I can do to reduce the "slip" of the straps?

CamelMan
04-11-2016, 22:31
I think those friction buckles slip less when more weight is put on them and there's less bouncing around of the pack and load. I readjust quite a bit, but not so much that it's annoying. The external frame I used today needs more than my favorite daypack, but it moves more and has bigger buckles. I really like how a pack fits after I've hiked for a while, taken it off for whatever reason, and then put in on and readjust. Probably just a placebo effect of taking a break, but maybe my fat needs to decompress or something.

When I (re)adjust, it helps to loosen the side straps (if any) on the waist belt so it can properly curve around my waist. I always suspend the load by the waist strap first, then tighten the shoulder straps, then the load lifters and chest straps. The shoulder straps don't do too much work, but they can help keep the waist belt from slipping down. I also kind of watch my posture when I remember.

moldy
04-11-2016, 22:39
My Osprey shoulder straps never budge on their own and I carry about 25 pounds and hike all day. But I don't have them all that snug because I have my thumbs tucked under them most of the time. I think you may have some of the other straps out of wack. You might want to start from scratch with strap adjustments for a Exos 58 either on youtube or with the written directions provided with the pack. Another way is to take it to someone who knows how to adjust a pack to fit you like an outfitter store. REI is a good choice if you have one. If you take it there, be sure to have it loaded.

nsherry61
04-11-2016, 22:58
In the past, I have often fixed the length of certain straps on my pack if I don't need to adjustment them very often from some chosen fixed length. You can fix strap length with simple knots, or safety pins, or stitching with a needle and thread, or glue, or appropriately placed and attached strips of velcro. You can also jamb sliders with a rubber band wrapped around the strap like is common on many bicycle helmet chin straps.

Good luck.

Maybe I should add this post to the "advanced tips and tricks" thread?

Another Kevin
04-12-2016, 00:02
I find myself fairly often shrugging up my pack and tugging on the waistbelt, or fiddling with the sternum strap. To me, it's just part of hiking to shift the pressure points a little bit every so often.

Trailweaver
04-12-2016, 00:58
Also. . . you are sometimes losing "weight" in your belly (water loss during the day) so that accounts for some adjusting.

I've also heard some people talk about loosening their shoulder straps at times when either climbing the uphills or going downhill (and I cannot remember which is which) to make load carrying easier.

I like my pack fairly snug so it doesn't shift unexpectedly, so I load up, buckle up, and start tightening everything when I start out.

Traveler
04-12-2016, 06:52
Overall, its pretty normal. With new packs you may find the fabric can slip a bit until it gets broken in and gets more "grab" to it. Other factors work at this too, loads compress over time with the up and down motion of walking. As soon as you take off the pack and pull something out, straps can need a readjustment of some sort due to the disruption of the load. Different terrain and hiking speeds can impact how the pack chassis carries a load, so its not uncommon to adjust straps as conditions change.

daddytwosticks
04-12-2016, 07:11
I find myself fairly often shrugging up my pack and tugging on the waistbelt, or fiddling with the sternum strap. To me, it's just part of hiking to shift the pressure points a little bit every so often.

Same here. I have a newer model Osprey Exos 46 and do the same thing. Shifting the pressure points and making adjustments keeps my body more comfortable when carrying loads. I think this is normal. :)

ScareBear
04-12-2016, 08:12
I wind up adjusting the waist belt every hour or so. I perceive this to be a combination of movement loosening and water loss. My REI Flash 62 has "load lifters" which actually move the pack towards or away from my back. Therefore, its easy to adjust the pack's orientation based on incline/decline for max comfort. All that said, I never, ever have to adjust the shoulder straps during the hike. Or the sternum strap. I've heard complaints about the Flash's waistbelt loosening during hikes, but my Gregory does the same thing...

Starchild
04-12-2016, 08:30
I have that pack now, love it and have not really noticed that being a issue, some occasional retightening OK etc. But from another pack that was known to loosen I added some plastic strap loops, retainers, er figure 8 things, whatever for the hip belt. It worked well, zero slip, however adjustment of the belt when needed (including wearing warmer and bulkier clothes) was not easy anymore but could be done. Overall the tradeoff was well worth it for zero slip, but still adjustable. I also tried the tie a knot in the strap, ok for a quick fix but it still does get some slack.

Looking at the Exos, it appears that the above method can be used on the shoulder straps straight off. The hip belt would require cutting the elastic loop that holds the ends of the webbing strap, that does not seem to be a big loss.

fiddlehead
04-12-2016, 09:24
I'm often moving things around as far as where I want the weight.
I don't use a hip belt, nor do I use hiking poles, so, I'm probably in the minority but, I tend to put my thumbs under the shoulder straps, in front and walk that way for a while.
Then I'll maybe jog a little (especially down hills) and so change the length of the shoulder strap.
If it's a steep downhill, I'll loosen them up a lot and let the load hold me back.
Also do the opposite when going up hill (tighten the shoulder straps up and let the weight ride forward)

Odd Man Out
04-12-2016, 12:48

ME too. When things are adjusted they way I like it, I find there is little to no weight on my shoulder straps. I do more with the load lifters to keep the weight forward. I tend to loosen both load lifters, both shoulder straps and both hip belt adjustments (my belt has upper and lower adjusters) every time I take the pack off. It is easier to get on an off this way. Then I tighten everything again when it goes back on. Things will have often shifted since I'm usually taking the pack off for lunch or water breaks. I don't find the need to adjust the sternum strap much. Its got a bungee so it self-adjusts.

dudeijuststarted
04-12-2016, 12:53
I adjust constantly for uphills and downhills, unless I'm coming up on a road crossing to town or see trail magic, in which case i run

Leo L.
04-12-2016, 14:56
On both my big backpacks the friction buckles on the shoulder straps tend to slip when hiking with a heavy load. So I constantly find myself andjusting the shoulder straps as well as the hip belt.
Finally I grew fed up with this repeating action and blocked the friction buckles in a position that was quite OK, now I'm fine with this single setting of the shoulder straps for the whole trip.
I still have to adjust the hip belt from time to time, this mainly due to my belly shrinking during the hike.

MtDoraDave
04-12-2016, 19:21

This. Especially with the JanSport Katahdin 60L I bought last year. The waist strap buckles don't hold well.
Or ... whenever they need it.

I almost never mess with the shoulder straps, though.

Malto
04-12-2016, 19:35
very rarely. About the only time I do is when my pack is empty of food and I will losses my shoulder straps to allow the pack to basically function as a fanny pack.

SkraM
04-12-2016, 19:37
Adjusting the pack straps is part of the gig. Fabric stretches and pack contents settle and adjustments are necessary to relieve pressure points. I fiddle with the waist belt more than the shoulder straps.

Bronk
04-13-2016, 14:47
Is this a newer pack? If so, get the straps wet and let them dry in the position you want them to stay in.

Dogwood
04-13-2016, 15:18
Things aren't constant. Wt I'm carrying, center of gravity of how I packed the load, volume of load, different gear set ups, different packs, wearing different apparel, grade, trail/no trail, underfoot terrain, temp, wetness, physical traits, blah blah blah change. As they do of course adjusting and re-adjusting straps is in keeping with those changes. NO, I don't own one backpack where any straps regularly slip. I will not let that happen as a matter of regularity because of mechanical inadequacies.

This was posted here on WB previously but if waist belt buckles, tri glides, friction buckles etc are slipping two things I've done that have remedied the situation is 1)replacing the buckles or sharpening the edge(s) or filing between the ridges of the holding ridge on these buckles causing more "bite" on the webbing 2) cleaning the webbing. The sweat, gunk, grime, lip balms, moisturizers, bug juice, food particles carelessly dropped, etc and UV rays breaking down some types of webbing slacken the webbing. Wash what you can off. Don't re-coat the webbing with any residual cleaners. I even use a soft bristled brush at town stops on a LD hike or when examining gear before storage to clean the entire pack including the webbing.

Another Kevin
04-14-2016, 13:09
Seeing the comments: I don't think that my buckles are slipping, I just like making tiny adjustments in how the load rides.

I think there are two schools in this matter, much as there are with clothing. Some hikers are "put it on and leave it on," others are "keep adjusting your clothing all day long so you're always comfortable."

I'm sure that Malto can get away with his approach readily. I've hiked with him - or rather shared a campsite because he would have left me in the dust. His pack looks as if it would hold two apples and a bedsheet. Mine's a good bit bigger and heavier. We both have fun, but our styles are so different that we wouldn't mesh well as hiking partners. I'm glad he's put up with me the couple of times we've met.

dervari
04-14-2016, 17:22
I find myself adjusting or tightening my waist belt quite a bit during the first hour of a hike. After then, it's pretty static.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

rocketsocks
04-14-2016, 18:42
Straps were meant to be fooled with, so I'm constantly adjusting from hips to shoulder and occasionally from side to side as can happen after downing a quart of water that was stashed in a side pocket. But mostly it's the "belly buster" that needs tightening, it's amazing what an 1/8" will do to boost moral.

gbolt
04-14-2016, 18:48
I have found that after a backpacking lay off of several months, I adjust a great deal the first day out. If the lay off is just a month, then I adjust a great deal the morning off the first day out. If I am lucking enough to get out once a month or more, the adjustment is usually very close and I get it perfect after the first morning stop. It's sort of a "Zen" feeling as to how much strap is in the hand and how much to "cinch" it. I cut all the straps and then they were resewn in order to cut weight and excess.

glaux
04-14-2016, 23:56
I adjust pretty regularly, but that's because I like to shift how I carry the weight through the day. I have some disc degeneration, so I tend to keep my shoulder straps moderately loose, with the hip belt doing most of the work (to keep pressure off my spine), but that's not comfortable to do all day. So I adjust from time to time, and stay comfortable that way.

carrottop
04-15-2016, 01:06
Going uphill I tighten the shoulder straps a bit pulling the pack closer to my upper back...downhill I loosen them. Helps to adjust the load to work with gravity.

rocketsocks
04-15-2016, 09:44
Going uphill I tighten the shoulder straps a bit pulling the pack closer to my upper back...downhill I loosen them. Helps to adjust the load to work with gravity.see now, I do the complete opposite, a pure testement to whatever works for you.

JumpMaster Blaster
04-15-2016, 10:52
I have a 3 year old Osprey Aura 65. Right now I have a "training" load of 34 pounds in it. Some of it is a little top heavy, so when I'm out I tend to have to readjust the load lifters every so often. I had the shoulder straps a little tight a few times that caused sausage fingers, but with my ULA Catalyst I don't end up having to readjust as often.

I think readjusting straps every now & then to vary how the load sits on your body is normal, but if you have to do it every 30 minutes then something isn't right.