PDA

View Full Version : Gifting at the outfitters

Miel
04-12-2016, 06:09
I have an online friend at The Boston Globe who really takes advantage of LL Bean's return policy. And by that I mean mooching, over and over again.

I know that's not any of you, this mooching business.

Yet, when someone at, say, REI has been helpful, over and over again in a situation that does not involve a commission (like buying a luxury item - cars; diamonds), do you, say, give them a gift card to, say, a restaurant? This is what I want to do and will include it as part of my trail expenses.

IOW, who helps the helpers, and how do you do it?

Your thoughts?

Starchild
04-12-2016, 07:46
Why did you mention the moocher? It appears totally unrelated.

Well you asked for my thoughts, that is the first one that comes to mind.

saltysack
04-12-2016, 08:42
Mooching???? Lost me....but a good cold IPA 6 pack goes a long way....[emoji482]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miel
04-12-2016, 08:52
Why did you mention the moocher? It appears totally unrelated.

Well you asked for my thoughts, that is the first one that comes to mind.

Because people do take advantage of lifetime guarantees. This woman is quite skilled in the domestic arts, yet when so much as a thread comes loose, she mails the garment back to LL Bean. It is entirely related.

Miel
04-12-2016, 08:52
Mooching???? Lost me....but a good cold IPA 6 pack goes a long way....[emoji482]

Ooh la la! Great idea. Thanks!

Tuckahoe
04-12-2016, 09:32
In my line of work serving our visitors is a significant part my responsibilities and one of the reasons my employer pays me. I do not rely on tips and gratuities, I will not accept them when offered, and think it is unethical for one emplyeed in customer service work not reliant on gratuities to accept them.

Personally I would much rather learn that my employer received a note, letter or comment card regarding the quality of service I provided. YMMV and hey thats just me.

Starchild
04-12-2016, 09:32
Because people do take advantage of lifetime guarantees. This woman is quite skilled in the domestic arts, yet when so much as a thread comes loose, she mails the garment back to LL Bean. It is entirely related.
Actually no it is not, and explaining what mooching is and how people do it does not relate it in any way to you wanting to gift a employee for good service. Or at least you have not been successful in relating these 2 concepts.

Starchild
04-12-2016, 09:37
I guess it could be related that if people didn't mooch that employee could (and thus should) be making more money and you are taking it upon yourself to compensate them for the money lost from people like you describe by directly gifting the employee. And if more people did this it could balance out what these moochers have taken from them. However you have not stated that relationship between the concepts, so not sure you meant that.

DuneElliot
04-12-2016, 09:41
Business/company policy may prohibit them from accepting something like a gift card or similar expression of gratitude, and if they do they may be risking their job. I'd check with someone's manager first. Having been in retail before, a compliment and a positive comment to the manager can go a long way to improving a sales associates's day and possibly their income.

TNhiker
04-12-2016, 09:46
My thoughts----mooching and tipping aren't related......

Gambit McCrae
04-12-2016, 10:31
The mooching is unrelated, A competent and helpful employee...- its their job isn't it? To inform people of the product the sell?

If you go thru a Toll booth every day, and the operator does a really good job of continuously opening the toll bar for you, are you going to treat him to a Ruby Tuesdays gift card? :rolleyes: A boy can dream

Sarcasm the elf
04-12-2016, 10:44
but a good cold IPA 6 pack goes a long way....[emoji482]

On a related note I will occassionally throw a twelve pack in my car prior to dropping it off to the mechanic's. Once when I needed my car back in a hurry I purposely parked it in the sun and then found the mechanic assigned to it to tell him there was a 12 pack in the car that was still cold...
...the car was ready in two hours after originally being quoted three days turn-around. :banana

Hikingjim
04-12-2016, 12:02
I have an online friend at The Boston Globe who really takes advantage of LL Bean's return policy. And by that I mean mooching, over and over again.

Yet, when someone at, say, REI has been helpful, over and over again in a situation that does not involve a commission (like buying a luxury item - cars; diamonds), do you, say, give them a gift card to, say, a restaurant? This is what I want to do and will include it as part of my trail expenses.

Your thoughts?

Unfortunately these types of stores like REI are not setup to allow you to give directly to employees. When I worked in a similar retail store I would just appreciate dealing with nice people and talking adventure and gear.

If you really like the service of a small business, then you can support it by spreading the word. But for an employee there isn't too much, other than telling management they're awesome if they really went above and beyond.

mattjv89
04-12-2016, 13:06
At a big store it's probably against policy for the employees to accept a tip but you can try. If the employee is not under direct observation accepting it or not is mostly up to them. I don't think it's putting them in an uncomfortable spot either because they can fall back on "company policy says..." That was the deal when I worked at Lowe's for a few years in college. All tips are to be turned in to management, said the policy. Yeah right, if the customer wants to slip me a bill after I'm done loading their truck bed with bags of concrete you bet I'm keeping it.

OkeefenokeeJoe
04-12-2016, 21:02
I think the word, "mooching," is misused by the OP in this case. Returning merchandise over and over again for frivolous reasons does not meet the definition of mooching .... not even close. Unethical, perhaps .... tactless, maybe .... mooching, no.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Miel
04-12-2016, 22:39
In my line of work serving our visitors is a significant part my responsibilities and one of the reasons my employer pays me. I do not rely on tips and gratuities, I will not accept them when offered, and think it is unethical for one emplyeed in customer service work not reliant on gratuities to accept them.

Personally I would much rather learn that my employer received a note, letter or comment card regarding the quality of service I provided. YMMV and hey thats just me.

A lovely idea and something I do on a regular basis.

Miel
04-12-2016, 22:41
At a big store it's probably against policy for the employees to accept a tip but you can try. If the employee is not under direct observation accepting it or not is mostly up to them. I don't think it's putting them in an uncomfortable spot either because they can fall back on "company policy says..." That was the deal when I worked at Lowe's for a few years in college. All tips are to be turned in to management, said the policy. Yeah right, if the customer wants to slip me a bill after I'm done loading their truck bed with bags of concrete you bet I'm keeping it.

I think it should be up to you. I'm old enough to remember when tipping wasn't forbidden.

Miel
04-12-2016, 22:42
Unfortunately these types of stores like REI are not setup to allow you to give directly to employees. When I worked in a similar retail store I would just appreciate dealing with nice people and talking adventure and gear.

If you really like the service of a small business, then you can support it by spreading the word. But for an employee there isn't too much, other than telling management they're awesome if they really went above and beyond.

I also find that complimenting someone on Yelp is a handy-dandy tool.

Miel
04-12-2016, 22:43
The mooching is unrelated, A competent and helpful employee...- its their job isn't it? To inform people of the product the sell?

If you go thru a Toll booth every day, and the operator does a really good job of continuously opening the toll bar for you, are you going to treat him to a Ruby Tuesdays gift card? :rolleyes: A boy can dream

I may bring him/her cookies from time to time. USPS/UPS deliverers often appreciate such a treat.

Miel
04-12-2016, 22:44
Business/company policy may prohibit them from accepting something like a gift card or similar expression of gratitude, and if they do they may be risking their job. I'd check with someone's manager first. Having been in retail before, a compliment and a positive comment to the manager can go a long way to improving a sales associates's day and possibly their income.

I always let the manger know. But I want to go beyond that (in an appropriate way).

turtle fast
04-13-2016, 00:46
Many retailers have programs that reward employees whom customers complement. A letter or email to corporate HQ or the store manager complementing an employee whom excelled in service goes a long way.

Miel
04-13-2016, 01:15
What if I do all that already, turtle? I have a desire to do more.

There is, however, one thing I don't like in terms of employee rewards that involve customers, and that is being pressured to get a store credit card (Gap; Macy's; Target, etc). Yet employees can be penalized if they don't meet their quota (by having their hours reduced to the point that they spend more money getting to work than being at work).

Having not been to an outfitter since the mid 2000s, are the outfitters going in this direction? If so, how do customers balance wanting the employee to be treated well at work, with the customer not wanting the pressure? (So this part of my question specifically addresses outfitters.)

turtle fast
04-13-2016, 01:52
Most outfitters won't have this type of programs. REI has a credit card, but in my experience they don't try to shove it down your throat. They may inform you of the benefit of joining their co-op though, but it's no big deal. Just this morning on NPR they had discussed the idea of many service workers not being appreciated by the public, and that many service workers just want to hear an "attaboy" or "attagirl" for the work they do. If you already wrote/emailed their superiors on excellent service, and wish to do more... Maybe a gift card to a coffee shop or a restaurant would be better than cash as its not as pretentious. Saying, oh thanks for your excellent service... I have a little something for you and handing over a Starbucks gift card in the holder vs handing them cash would be a way I'd go. (And have done).
BTW Meil, I've been to Rumi's shrine/ burial site in Konya Turkey. The man had a gift of poetry...

Miel
04-13-2016, 06:11
Most outfitters won't have this type of programs. REI has a credit card, but in my experience they don't try to shove it down your throat. They may inform you of the benefit of joining their co-op though, but it's no big deal. Just this morning on NPR they had discussed the idea of many service workers not being appreciated by the public, and that many service workers just want to hear an "attaboy" or "attagirl" for the work they do. If you already wrote/emailed their superiors on excellent service, and wish to do more... Maybe a gift card to a coffee shop or a restaurant would be better than cash as its not as pretentious. Saying, oh thanks for your excellent service... I have a little something for you and handing over a Starbucks gift card in the holder vs handing them cash would be a way I'd go. (And have done).
BTW Meil, I've been to Rumi's shrine/ burial site in Konya Turkey. The man had a gift of poetry...

I am not against cash as per above, but I was thinking of a goodie basket. A gift card sounds like it would go well in there. Thanks!

As for your visit with Rumi, I'm envious! I want to see that shrine, and the fairy chimneys in Turkey.

BonBon
04-13-2016, 07:16
I own a small business and employ about 14 people, mostly teenagers and a few adults. They LOVE when I get a letter or email or a FB shoutout from a customer about their service. It makes them feel great. If someone is complimented in this way I will typically give them a small bonus. Employers love having good people who earn those rave reviews. Starbucks gift cards are also a big hit. As far as being treated well at work, it is true for me that people with a strong work ethic are always on my nice list. People who cut corners, are lazy, and clearly don't care don't last long. The relationship of how you are treated is a goes both ways kind of thing.

Miel
04-13-2016, 07:40
I own a small business and employ about 14 people, mostly teenagers and a few adults. They LOVE when I get a letter or email or a FB shoutout from a customer about their service. It makes them feel great. If someone is complimented in this way I will typically give them a small bonus. Employers love having good people who earn those rave reviews. Starbucks gift cards are also a big hit. As far as being treated well at work, it is true for me that people with a strong work ethic are always on my nice list. People who cut corners, are lazy, and clearly don't care don't last long. The relationship of how you are treated is a goes both ways kind of thing.

So based on some replies here, if an outfitter is super kind and goes beyond the call (because my feet are two different sizes, lol, EMS was super about fitting me for xc ski booties), gift cards and an edible treat it is.

illabelle
04-13-2016, 09:16
Another option is to bring goodies for the employee breakroom - donuts, cookies, whatever - for everybody, not for the particular employee. It's a bit less personal, but that might be a good thing.

Miel
04-13-2016, 18:25
Another option is to bring goodies for the employee breakroom - donuts, cookies, whatever - for everybody, not for the particular employee. It's a bit less personal, but that might be a good thing.

I actually used to do that for the inmates when I worked at a pre-release center. Not for the guards - with the inmates, you knew who you were up against (if at all). The guards were a collective tough nut to crack, even with their co-workers (especially we civilians). The inmates appreciated the treat because even though required to work outside the pre-release center, 99 percent of them had jobs that allowed for no discretionary income.

Neat idea, illabelle. As I save for my hike, I am also budgeting for gifting.

Which reminds me, when I purchased my xc ski poles years ago, EMS (getting back to rafe's thread) fitted me perfectly as a short person. Those poles are now too tall for me! Two inches lost. ~sigh~

Lone Wolf
04-13-2016, 20:15

Your thoughts?

no. no gifts. it's their job

PD230SOI
04-13-2016, 21:09
A couple thoughts here...

as an employee at an outfitter, I would much prefer a kind experience with you. Too many customers are just terrible to staff at many places I visit. I just didn't believe how people could behave until I saw for myself.

if you really felt you wanted to more than a letter to an employer or completing a survey with your feelings goes further than you might imagine.

Wise Old Owl
04-13-2016, 22:24
On a related note I will occassionally throw a twelve pack in my car prior to dropping it off to the mechanic's. Once when I needed my car back in a hurry I purposely parked it in the sun and then found the mechanic assigned to it to tell him there was a 12 pack in the car that was still cold...
...the car was ready in two hours after originally being quoted three days turn-around. :banana

Priceless..... thanks.