PDA

View Full Version : Rolling your Ankle - How often?

TheWhiteWalker
04-12-2016, 12:24
How often do you roll your ankle while hiking? Do you do any ankle exercises for injury prevention?

Where I hike there a lot of hidden dangers underneath the leaves or camouflaged on the trail floor. On average, once every 12 miles the outer edge of my shoe catches the ground wrong (due to roots, rocks, stump, etc) which forces my ankle to buckle out perpendicular to the trail, ouch! Luckily most of the time it just hurts for a few minutes and I am able to hike on.

An ankle roll every 12 miles on average would be 183 ankle rolls between GA-ME. I don’t consider myself clumsy which leads me to think this might be happening often to other hikers as well.

I am sure If I slowed my pace and paid more attention that would help but I don’t found constantly staring at the ground to be enjoyable or realistic for long distance hikes. I don’t wear high ankle support boots and I am not interested. I prefer low cut boots and trail running shoes. Maybe if I take my shoes off that would force me to slow down and pay attention but I don't like dirty feet. :)

I am just curious how often you roll your ankle and any tips for prevention. Thanks!

lonehiker
04-12-2016, 12:29
Trekking poles.

Sarcasm the elf
04-12-2016, 12:32
I 100% agree with you about not wearing footwear with ankle restriction err... support. I roll my ankles a lot, they're flexible and can take it without much issue. Back when I wore boots they stopped my ankles from rolling and instead transferred the force of all the slips and mis-steps directly up and into my knees which was starting to cause me injuries. I switched to trail runners and now both my ankles and knees are happy.

ddanko2
04-12-2016, 12:32
Wearing low-cut boots or runners SHOULD help strengthen those ankle muscles. Three ankle surgeries later, I have found that running in running shoes (I know, sounds funny, but I never used to run in them and ran in high-top basketball shoes w/ braces due to my ankle concerns) and hiking in low to mid boots have allowed the ankles to take care of themselves better than relying on the high tops. Also, walking barefoot when not hiking also helps with the ankle ligament strengthening. Now let me go knock on some wood, or else i'll roll my ankle a dozen times on my next overnighter :)

Another Kevin
04-12-2016, 13:04
Rather than high boots, what helps a lot more with the ankle is a good heel support. I use Superfeet - green or orange fit me, but they come in lots of colors/contours because different feet have different shapes, so get yours fitted competently. Those and a very lightweight, low-cut shoe (New Balance 610 fit for me, but again your feet are likely different) are what I find work best to spare my ankles in three seasons.

Winter is an entirely different kettle of fish, but I don't think you're asking about winter.

rafe
04-12-2016, 13:09
With luck, I catch the ankle roll before it's too late. There are degrees... catch and arrest it in time, no problem.

Tiny ankle rolls happen a lot. Serious, debilitating ones hopefully not at all. The trick is having the presence of mind to keep small ones from turning into big ones. The small ones are like a wake-up call. "Pay attention!" they say.

The bad ones happen for all the usual reasons -- late in the day, tired, zoned out, moving too fast, poor light, etc.

30, 40 thousand steps a day and you have to make sure none of them take you out.

Big fan of hiking poles here.

Sometimes it's best to just fall and collapse gracefully if or when you feel the pain. A simple controlled fall is often no big deal.

dudeijuststarted
04-12-2016, 13:39
i stand on one foot and change levels for 30 seconds or so every morning before leaving camp. this syncs up the brain with the muscles and ligaments in the leg. give it a try at home, and notice all the little micro-adjustments that your foot/ankle starts to make as you hold the pose. the idea is that your brain will be better prepared to adjust safely should you lose balance.

burger
04-12-2016, 13:48
I hike on rocky trails a lot, and I'd say I roll an ankle at least once every 5-10 miles. But it's been around 10 years since I actually sprained an ankle in any lasting way. How do I avoid sprains?

Before hiking: I do exercises to strengthen my calf muscles, and I do stretches to keep those muscles and the ankle tendons nice and loose. The easiest exercise is simple calf raises--just go up and down on your toes. If it's too easy with both feet, just use one. If that's too easy, do it while holding weights. If you do it without holding on to anything, you'll also be working your stabilizer muscles in your lower legs.

During hiking: I stretch my calves every couple of hours. I just find a rock and stand so my toes are above my ankle and put some weight on that leg. Don't do this until your muscles are warmed up.

I find that when my calf muscles are strong, when I "roll" my ankle, a lot of times, my lower leg stays locked in place so that my ankle doesn't get any undue strain.

Pedaling Fool
04-12-2016, 13:50
Rolling your ankles is just part of hiking, best to do it good the first time and then your body will adapt.

I rolled mine really good back in '99 on a weekend hike, the week before a larger hike from Rockfish Gap to Harper's Ferry. I limped that whole weekend and was very concerned about my upcoming hike thru SNP. However, my ankle started feeling better during the week and when I started my nearly 200-mile hike, I thought I was set. Wrong!

I rolled it again shortly after beginning and it remained sore for the entire trip; it was so bad that the slightest pressure on a pointed surface started my ankle rolling.

However, subsequent hikes after that I found that my reflexes were much faster in stopping the rolling action and as I clicked off miles my ankles not only strengthened, but they also got much more flexible, to the point that even when I did roll my ankle all the way, it didn't create a painful injury.

P.S. I was wearing hightop boots, in my experience hightop boots don't prevent ankles from rolling; I don't even think they lessen the chance of ankle rolls. For them to do that, the material would need to be much more stiffer than leather.

peakbagger
04-12-2016, 14:33
The person I used to hike with had "loose ankles" he would roll them often and carried a walking brace. At one point he went to sports doctor that has pro hockey players for clients (they roll ankles frequently). The doctor determined that years of rolling his ankles had caused the tendons to be loose making him more prone to rolling. He had surgery to tighten everything up and three months later we did 5 weeks on the AT. It worked for awhile but a year or two later we switched to slackpacking to finish up the our AT sections as after a few days with backpack on his ankle would act up. A few years after we finished the AT he went into full retirement mode and apparently got it done again but this time he waited a year and did a lot of therapy before he started hiking again. I think it worked better the second time around.

I personally used to roll my ankles with heavy high ankle support boots frequently and it took ma several days to recover. I switched to trail runners and I roll my ankle far less often and when I do I can usually hike it off pretty quick. The whites are in my backyard and I do a lot of very rocky hiking with trail runners. I also use poles.

CamelMan
04-12-2016, 14:37
I would second the advice on using low-cut trail runners and build up more slowly, especially to carrying loads. Don't rely on a treadmill or road walking/running to get you into actual hiking shape. (Pavement is hard on your body, anyway.) With time you'll develop the neuro-muscular adaptation called "trail legs" (what rafe said above about catching yourself).

I've gotten lazy and overconfident, but I used to use a balance board at home, warming up by balancing for a while, then moving front to back and side to side. I also used a stepper for diagonal up-and-down, and off-the-side steps, and did plyometrics like jumping forward to opposite sides of a straight (imaginary) line, and finally elastic band exercises to train articulations of the foot (http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Foot.html). You can try some of those if you think it'll help. None of that equipment is expensive. I would especially recommend the balance board. Also, in my experience, trail running seems to be good for trail legs (and hiking speed), btw.

Also don't let yourself get too far into general neuro-muscular fatigue, when you'll start making placement mistakes on rough terrain. It's better to sit down and rest for a few minutes. I (nearly) rolled my ankle once this year but I stepped on a loose cobble. Some of these trails suck. ;)

Leo L.
04-12-2016, 14:48
I had been walking quite much all my life, and never had serious ankle problems.
Started to do a good bit of my outdoor life barefoot a few years back and could watch my ankles grow wider and even more strong than they had been already.
I'm sure walking barefoot for training purpose is the best protection against rolling an ankle, for three reasons:
First, the ankle itself, the muscles and the tendons around will become stronger,
Second, you learn to walk in a way where the toe and mid section of the foot hits the ground a tiny fraction of a second before you put full weight on the foot by the heel, this gives the body a chance to sense and react in case you step on a wrong spot or loose stone (which could cause to roll the ankle).
Third, the way you are aware of the footing is much improved, and most likely you avoid stepping wrong by pure instinct.

punchcard
04-12-2016, 16:28
I've destroyed my ankles from too many years of volleyball. Here's a few pointers.

-strengthen your ankle by drawing the alphabet twice a day with your big toe on each foot. Elastic bands can help too.

-improve your reaction time to catch yourself before you turn by doing balancing exercises. Standing on one foot helps, work up to doing this with your eyes closed. It's really hard.

-use a wide shoe for lots of stability. Trail runner are great but do not provide enough support for me. Merrell Moab Ventilators help a lot and are a great shoe.

Del Q
04-12-2016, 20:41
I have had this issue, pretty scary when it happens. Switched to Salomon low tops, great lateral support...........then they stopped making them in wide width

Switched to Keen's, also great shoes, what I think helped the most is hiking on the SIDE of hills (at like a 40 degree angle or more) when working out, has helped a lot. Ankles and calves are a LOT stronger.

sheepdog
04-12-2016, 21:15
The trail is rugged and joints are often rolled.

martinb
04-12-2016, 21:29
Once, last summer going up to Bob's Bald in Joyce Kilmer. Came up out of a water hole, planted my trekking pole, it sank like it was planted in quicksand, pack shifted, ankle made a loud pooping noise and I went down. I thought I broke it but it was just a bad sprain. Trekking poles saved my butt limping off the bald the next morning.

martinb
04-12-2016, 21:30
Forgot to add this is the first roll/sprain event in 25ish years of backpacking.

RockDoc
04-12-2016, 21:35
Nobody else has mentioned a major cause of ankle rolling, besides weakness: leg length discrepancy.

Most of us have legs that are slightly different lengths, and you will tend to roll towards your shorter side.

My right leg is 5/8" shorter than my left, and I've rolled only my right ankle many times. I've tried using lifts, but 5/8" is a little too much...

The good news is that you can strengthen your ankles and then it is no longer much of a problem. This is a good reason to become a strong hiker before you start a long distance hike. Sprains are much more likely with newbie feet. If you roll your ankle wearing with a heavy pack, the injury might put you out of the game for many days.

I also think it's a good idea to use low-profile shoes, like certain trail running shoes. Then the foundation is lower and broader and you are less likely to tip over than if you are way up high on thick soles.

ggreaves
04-12-2016, 22:03
I tend to roll my ankles lots and I was quite paranoid about a section hike I planned for earlier this month (which I completed without injury - yay). I figured out that my problem was that with certain footwear where the sole is high and stiff, they feel great but when the ankle starts to roll, it accelerates quickly past the point of no return and results in a sprain. I didn't want the extra weight of boots on my feet all day so I opted for trail runners - Altra Lone Peak 2.5's to be exact. I can really feel the trail with them and on the occasions that my ankle did start to roll, I was able to feel it and recover well before it went all the way over. I carried a brace and a roll of leukotape in my bag but neither were needed. I'm converted now. Also, the shoes dry very quickly and grip even wet and mossy rocks like glue. For me, they're the best trail footwear I've used so far.

Sarcasm the elf
04-12-2016, 22:09
Nobody else has mentioned a major cause of ankle rolling, besides weakness: leg length discrepancy.

Most of us have legs that are slightly different lengths, and you will tend to roll towards your shorter side.

My right leg is 5/8" shorter than my left, and I've rolled only my right ankle many times. I've tried using lifts, but 5/8" is a little too much...

The good news is that you can strengthen your ankles and then it is no longer much of a problem. This is a good reason to become a strong hiker before you start a long distance hike. Sprains are much more likely with newbie feet. If you roll your ankle wearing with a heavy pack, the injury might put you out of the game for many days.

I also think it's a good idea to use low-profile shoes, like certain trail running shoes. Then the foundation is lower and broader and you are less likely to tip over than if you are way up high on thick soles.

5/8"? Your lucky. My legs are hypothetically the same length, but last time I had a physical therapist check it, my right femur was impacted onto my hip a full 4cm. :eek:

rocketsocks
04-12-2016, 23:25
When younger an ankle roll would take me about a month to heal, now that same injury takes at least 8 months...hell gettin' old.

Dogwood
04-12-2016, 23:27
I don't roll my ankles as much as I once did as a teenager. Footwork drills that added balance, strength, speed, and flexibilty in organized college basketball and semi pro tennis helped. I practice these today on the tennis court still(clay, hard court, and the occasional grass) and with some reduced trail running but also for backpacking on the elliptical treadmill, standing toe raises, JUMPING ON THE TRAMPOLINE(great! FOR BALaNCE AND CARDIO IN A LOWER IMPACT FOOTWORK WORKOUT), walking curbs and traffic/parking lines(on the curbs I'll gently walk on the one side edge of my turned shoe simulating a rolled ankle contributing to better flexibility), doing the occasional ropes or obstacle course, contouring on rocky mountainous off trail hikes on steeply graded talus/scree or snow/ice, in water wearing a weighted backpack in the ocean's waves, walking on soft sand beaches, running mixed lava slab fields in Hawaii, etc.

I too agree there are degrees of rolling an ankle. I still do it on more rare occasions but it has never resulted in injury on trail. The light load and proper fitting backpack help. Bicycling helps too.

I'm rarely looking directly down on trail. Instead I'm looking out ahead by 50 ft or more at a wider angle gathering peripheral vision info too with a real instinctive feel in my footwork. It's a greater awareness of being in tune with the terrain - with the world - with everything - and in a Zen zone laser beamed focused on what you're doing which is more akin to almost effortlessly gliding - "flowing." My INTEL gathering zone is not that immediate. It's large! When I'm "flowing" like this even if I roll an ankle it's just part of the movement and I know when to let it completely happen or when to adjust for the roll to avoid an issue. I don't typically use trekking poles.

I've gotten very good at reading the terrain too. I know where and how ankle rolls and falls usually happen. I'm reading any rocks that might shift avoiding them when ramping up to a rapid pace or practicing footwork adjusting for when/if they do shift by intentionally stepping on them(you learn different geology(rocks, sandstone, slabs, etc) and how rocks are likely to move or react or their characteristics) which helps compensate for when they do), being more mindful around step downs, or when the trail is wet especially around wet trail construction wood or wet logs(especially if the cambium layer is loose or absent!) wet leaves on a grade or wet muddy slick rocks. You learn which moss or stream vegetation actually provides good traction and which is likely to land you on your arse. You learn to keep your shoes clean and which type of shoe is right for you and the occasion.

I'm at the point where I get better "feel" underfoot with a low cut trail runner. I started with lower stack heights and now can rock an Altra or even a Hoka and I still "feel" myself flowing comfortably backpacking. If I'm not flowing but plodding it's a sure sign I'm not being as mindful as I want to be.

I think there is truth in STE's comment too: "Back when I wore boots they stopped my ankles from rolling and instead transferred the force of all the slips and mis-steps directly up and into my knees which was starting to cause me injuries." It makes me think of the leg(knee) injuries that occur in alpine skiing from all the twisting and carving that occurs.

Dogwood
04-12-2016, 23:34
...The good news is that you can strengthen your ankles and then it is no longer much of a problem. This is a good reason to become a strong hiker before you start a long distance hike. Sprains are much more likely with newbie feet. If you roll your ankle wearing with a heavy pack, the injury might put you out of the game for many days.

This was the path and condition how I started out when embarking on my first real LD hike - a 2000 miler. Had that huge 55 lb hauler though that soon gave way to a 25 lb haul.

Turk6177
04-13-2016, 21:22
I am sure over time your stabilizer muscles will fire up and save you time and time again. I generally only roll an ankle slightly when I am very fatigued. When I am fatigued, my mental foot placement somehow changes. Maybe I just get focused on stopping for the day or a little tired and try to take bigger fewer steps. I am not sure. Knowing that about myself, I recognize my fatigue at the end of the day and now try to be extra careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wise Old Owl
04-13-2016, 21:26
I agree - trekking poles.

Dogwood
04-13-2016, 23:26
You might adjust your stride length based on things like terrain. Try to reduce high step downs and step ups by breaking up riser heights. They may not sound related to rolling an ankle but they can be because long strides on a steeper grade and/or with underfoot instability add to fatiguing muscles and joints. Add the fatigue to some careless plodding, say at the end of a long day, or when not yet in the zone in the morn, and it contributes to greater injurious ankle rolling risks.

BonBon
04-14-2016, 08:58
I guess I am in the minority here but I loved my boots. I twisted my ankles pretty severely in anything low-cut. But yes, an ankle roll in boots sometimes means commit to the fall instead of hurting the leg. I was so demoralized after Harpers Ferry when I switched to trail runner type shoes because of multiple twists and a really severe sprain. My ankles really need the support of the boots and when I went back to them after a few hundred miles of low-cut I stopped twisting the ankles. I wish I could do trail runners- they are much cooler and dry faster. Ill try some of these ankle strengthening exercises.

LittleRock
04-14-2016, 09:15
Trekking poles.

Seriously. I used to roll my ankles all the time while hiking, but not a single time since I started using poles about 5 years ago.

MuddyWaters
04-14-2016, 10:13
I roll my ankle occassionally
It has never hurt or caused any kind of issue whatsoever.

Ankle Bone
04-14-2016, 11:55
Consider a "barefoot boot". Not five fingers shoes but a hiking boot.
Merrill has one. You still have good tread on the bottom but no added support on arches, etc. Your entire foot feels the ground on every landing, so much less rolling, no sprains.

Gambit McCrae
04-14-2016, 14:31
2100 miles of hiking, not a single rolled ankle

evyck da fleet
04-14-2016, 16:51
Trekking poles will allow you to displace your weight off your ankle and prevent serious ankle rolls. Low cut trail runners allow my ankles to be flexible. I've also done the writing the alphabet but with my whole foot. In my case it was because I had a muscle not form behind my shin, not shin splints, and that was one of the exercises I was told to do by the doctor in Damascus. There were others but that was the easiest to do and remember. I'd do it in the morning and stop a take a break if I felt my leg tightening up during the day

Snowleopard
04-14-2016, 17:38
When I was a kid, I had lots of sprained ankles. In junior high school, I started ice skating almost every day that the pond was frozen (in pre global warming New England, Dec thru Feb at least). Since then I've had no sprained ankles and very rarely turn my ankle at all.

rocketsocks
04-14-2016, 18:35
Most of my ankle rolls seem to be caused not by stepping incorrect on a object,l and sliding, but from stepping off and object or step (usually to a lower elevation) and before it hits I've overpronated...bummer!

johnnybgood
04-14-2016, 20:44
As a young boy I severely sprained my ankles often, then I was introduced to the uncomfortable orthotic shoes of the late '60's. This didn't bode well for playing sports; baseball especially.
Fast forward 20 years later when I took to hiking as a recreational sport :
I focus on proper foot placement stepping on slanted rocks along the trail , beginning down steep downhills, or side hills where the trail narrows. Now and then I may still roll an ankle while being focused on foot placement but find usually I ankle roll when my trail comfort level rises.

In other words, an innocent looking dry creek bed with perfectly flat rocks that look stable is just as likely to do me in as a tricky rock filled downhill.
If I am not anticipating trouble traversing something, not focusing can be the culprit. Also trying to hike at a faster than normal pace, also means likely foot rolls or falls. I haven't had any ankle sprains that lasted more than a mile so I feel lucky, really lucky.

English Stu
04-19-2016, 15:56
If you have tendency to roll your ankle carry some athletic tape and learn how to tape your ankle for support; Youtube has some. If on very uneven ground/climbing pick where you put your feet; do the skiing thing and only plant your next foot when your other foot is secure.

Honuben
04-19-2016, 16:28
i rolled the same ankle in a 20 minute period on my sobo attempt. leaves on roots while stepping down ....3456034561

if you do roll it, keep your sock on to try to keep it compressed and elevate it while you're resting... and ice if you can when you get to town

Shutterbug
04-19-2016, 16:37
How often do you roll your ankle while hiking? Do you do any ankle exercises for injury prevention?

Where I hike there a lot of hidden dangers underneath the leaves or camouflaged on the trail floor. On average, once every 12 miles the outer edge of my shoe catches the ground wrong (due to roots, rocks, stump, etc) which forces my ankle to buckle out perpendicular to the trail, ouch! Luckily most of the time it just hurts for a few minutes and I am able to hike on.

An ankle roll every 12 miles on average would be 183 ankle rolls between GA-ME. I don’t consider myself clumsy which leads me to think this might be happening often to other hikers as well.

I am sure If I slowed my pace and paid more attention that would help but I don’t found constantly staring at the ground to be enjoyable or realistic for long distance hikes. I don’t wear high ankle support boots and I am not interested. I prefer low cut boots and trail running shoes. Maybe if I take my shoes off that would force me to slow down and pay attention but I don't like dirty feet. :)

I am just curious how often you roll your ankle and any tips for prevention. Thanks!

Back when I wore boots, I rolled my ankle often. I rationalized that the boots were necessary to prevent injury from ankle rolls. Then, about 4 years ago, I switched to Vibram FiveFingers. I anticipated that ankle rolls would be a problem, but they have not been. I discovered that I rarely have an ankle roll. When I do, I have not had an injury. I find that the FiveFinger shoes allow me to feel the trail and react to things much more quickly.

I have not kept a record, but I would guess that I experience an ankle roll every 1,000 miles or so.

saltysack
04-19-2016, 17:13
Trekking poles.

My poles save my arse several times each trip! Just last week while on fht I caught my self at least half a dozen times when my ankle started to roll. No doubt in my mind I wouldn't make it without them!

gracebowen
05-19-2016, 19:52
I have only done short hikes at home. I sprained both of my ankles and alot when I was younger. I used to have moderate lingering problems.
I had to quit wearing heels and just stepping on a small piece of gravel or slightly uneven floor would cause me to roll my ankle.

I finally did the exercises my dr recommended and now my problems are only minor. It also resulted in my constant ankle pain going from a 4 to never over a 2 and frequently it's at 0.

I can even have minor rolls now and not have long term severe pain.

jbbweeks
05-19-2016, 20:14
If you ain't rollin' you ain't on the AT

Tapatalk

Theosus
05-19-2016, 20:45
How often do you roll your ankle while hiking? A few times a day. I'm clumsy. I use trekking poles and have the super feet insoles but I just suck at walking I guess. I got so mad at myself last trip I started swearing and singing the choral part of beethoven's 9th in all swear words. One of my hiking group heard me and asked what I was doing. I said "I'm singing Beethoven's Sym******ny Number 9 in F major."
They must have rolled their ankle too, because it became a duet. Nothing relaxing like walking down the trail swearing to the classics.

Puddlefish
05-26-2016, 12:48
Four ankle rolls in 50 days on the AT so far. All from watching the scenery instead of the trail. Caught all four early enough to avoid damage to the ankle, but one "recovery" ended up tweaking a knee.

I'm currently zeroing in Shady Valley to give my knee some rest. A boring place, but perfect, in that there are no distractions from keeping the leg elevated.

Lnj
05-26-2016, 19:00
I have done a good deal of weekend hiking on rocky, rooty terrain for a year or so without incident. Even went on an overnighter to Grandfather Mtn. and climbed and slide and all matter of terrain... no problem. no mis-steps at all. I always wear Salomon boots. They are just comfortable and protect my feet. So one day about 2 months ago maybe, my daughter wants to go to this very small mountain hike with me. It's maybe 4 miles round trip and the terrain has some rocky and rooty spots, but mostly its just a soft path. she is making fun of me because I go to put on my bog ole hiking boots and hiking shorts with all the pockets. she and all the other youngsters do this all the time in just tennis shoes and little shorts and a t-shirt. So... I caved to peer pressure and decided to just go with my capris and tennis shoes.

Not only did the left ankle roll on a slight downhill stroll, but when it did my entire body collapsed on the trail. It didn't really hurt all that bad, but it was a rocky area and since I didn't have my pockets, I used my cell phone to break my fall, since it was in my hand. Needless to say that was a shattered screen and a banged up knees. So weird. One little turn and my body folded like a towel. In a second, I hopped right up and kept on walking. No problem. Now the last 3 times I have been out, I have fallen down. My left ankle rolls and my body collapses to the ground. Never any serious injury or pain and I can walk normally immediately after but... What in the world? I can climb mountains, but all the sudden I can't just walk? Very odd. Not letting it stop me, but kind of getting tired of kissing the dirt every few miles.

I do have to admit that I get caught up in my atmosphere and forget to watch every foot fall. I love to just look around at the woods while I hike. This can be detrimental to the ankles and the knees, by the way.:p